Start by marking “A Madness Most Discreet” as Want to Read:
A Madness Most Discreet

A Madness Most Discreet

Michael D'Agostino is a bestselling mystery author suffering from writer’s block when he meets Arden Evans, a beguiling escort and catalog model attempting to write a memoir of his own.

Michael is captivated by the young man, whom he finds refreshingly honest and authentic. When Arden asks that they “keep it simple,” Michael readily obliges. Their arrangement becomes incre
Published June 20th 2020 by Laura Lascarso

To ask other readers questions about A Madness Most Discreet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Madness Most Discreet

Start your review of A Madness Most Discreet
Christine
Laura can do no wrong. I’ve read and loved, Hiroku, The Bravest Thing, When Everything is Blue, and my all time favorite BOOK of ORLANDO ❤️❤️

Her writing gets more and more compelling with every release and to me that’s the sign of a great author. Laura’s writing isn’t stagnant; she refuses to be boxed in or known for simply one thing and it shows with this latest release.

I found the writing to be breathtaking, lyrical, and I often had to stop and reread a line just to experience a double helpin
h o l l i s
As is often the case with me, I tend to forget what books are about by the time I pick them up. There are obviously times where this isn't the case but it happens more often than you might think. Case in point : I had convinced myself that Lascarso had written something light and fluffy because a) my brain is a sieve these days due to work and the world and b) that cover is gorgeous and lovely and gives me happy vibes.

This book was way more than the cover implies. But it's also a Lascarso so I'm
Kazza
Well. I finished. Honestly? That I did finish is amazing. I had such a battle royale with this book and mostly with the characters. I did not love them. There were times they actually agitated me. Some of them were so snobby, pretentious, entitled. Rudely opinionated. That's especially true of Michael's friends, but you hang with them, Michael, they're your birds of a feather.

Also, I felt like I was being manipulated by the MCs. (view spoiler)
Leaf of Absence
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The writing is pretty great (once one gets past that rather purple-y first paragraph). The characters are well-developed and likeable. There's nothing groundbreaking about the plot and there's about 200 commas too many, but what this book goes to show is how transformative strong writing can be.

Take heed: if you're only into strict one-on-one monogamy, this is probably not the book for you. Luckily, I'm not in that camp of readers.
jazmin
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I have only read two books by Laura Lascarso but I can for certainly say this: Damn that woman can write. I found myself forgetting these were people I didn't know, that they didn't even exist in real life. I couldn't put the book down, I literally stayed up to 5 am reading.

This book was different from anything I have read before, which was a good thing. It was little more ... I don't know what words to use, bitter seems to harsh, serious maybe, than I usually read/like but this was so well writ
NicoleR.M.M.
It's funny when you read other reviews, how different people interpret the characters they are reading about. Or the meanings of an author. At the same time, that's exactly why books are so meaningful. Although the story is there, written on pages, it's still up to everyone's own fantasy to mold it into something that fits their own imagination.

I've discovered Laura Lascarso a while back when I read her book When Everything Is Blue. It was one of the first books I read in m/m romance and it's s
Joyfully Jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Once I started reading, A Madness Most Discreet is a book that kept me hooked with each passing page. I say once I started, because after reading the author’s note first, I was not as immediately hooked. The author states that she started out wanting to write a modern-day Pride and Prejudice, and as well known as that book is, it has never been a book I have wanted more of. The author then states that she thinks she mostly wrote a retelling of “Sex in the City,” a
Pam
Nov 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ku
This is one of those rare books I'm going to rate 3 stars even though I don't think I actually "liked" it. But it's a good book, and it's well-written, it's just about the kind of people I wouldn't actually want to spend any time around.

Michael's voice feels very authentic, but it's the voice of an ivy league/trust fund kid who is a writer and has close friends and family that operate in NYC literary circles and want to make sure you know it 🤢🤮🤮 Ew, and hell no.

We don't spend a whole lot of time
Cassie
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beta read the first run through. Then went back and read the new additions. With the addition of Arden’s writing it helped round out his character. I still found it hard to really like either of the characters and really did not like the scene with Michael’s friend (financial advisor), you’ll know. That scene just did not make sense to me. Anywho it was a good book. I enjoyed it.
Jenvile
Arden Evans had the kind of sweetness heralded by theologists and poets alike as divine. Like that first crunch of a fresh apple or the pop of a ripened grape as it spreads across the tongue, Arden’s sweetness had the potential to move me toward ecstasy or madness.

This was absolutely delicious. Laura Lascarso does it again with another amazing story that is luscious, sexy and heart throbbing. If I could describe this book in 3 words it would be pleasurably hedonistic art. But with anything hedo
Tia
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the story of a best-selling author, Michael, who falls for a beautiful model/escort named Arden. Arden grew up hungry and just shy of homeless, wandering the Caribbean on a small sailboat with his dad. And while Arden’s vagrant past sheds light on why he treats Michael the way he does - knowing the man is in love with him while continuing to have paid sex and carrying on a dependent relationship with his rich, older “benefactor”- it didn’t make it any easier to read.

Lascarso weaved a st
Toni
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alarmingly beautiful prose and thoughtful, compelling characterization
MaDoReader
Jul 26, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF al 38% Me he tragado spoilers y paso, not my cuppa
Allyn
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely gorgeous. The writing is so lyrical, and there are too many beautiful passages to pick my favorite. Arden and Michael both have their challenges but are so good together. This is one of my favorite books of 2020.
Tory
Such a deep love.....I think it will last forever.....
Michael is absolutely not an idiot.
🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
AMHH
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I loved this book. I would absolutely recommend it.

The writing is so good— realistic dialog, complex characters, great pacing. The author weaves segments from Arden’s memoir throughout Michael’s first person narration, and it’s a lovely contrast. While Michael’s parts of the novel center him obsessively: it’s his voice, his feelings, his choices, etc. the memoir, written in the third person about “the boy,” gives readers a sense of how different Arden is: how thoughtful and self-effaci
Sharon Cox
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-relations, gay, m-m
I absolutely loved this story. For me the star was Arden, a character who I found simple, complex, honest, dishonest and I'm not sure what else. He was like an onion, to use the old analogy. There were times that I disliked him and I thought that he was selfish and there were times that I was totally riveted by him. In the end, I realised that he was being true to himself and that, to understand him, we had to understand his backstory.
Michael is an established author who is suffering from writer
Claudia
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went into this book with no expectation at all. I hadn't read its synopsis or knew anything about. And tho it's true that I enjoyed it I'm still not completely sure how I feel about it.

I liked our main characters and how unique they were, and how, despite their apparent differences, they fit together. I also liked the premise of a writer and a scort; there were many challenges and prejudices they had to overcome.

A problem I had with this book is that female presence was lacking. I don't unde
J
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rent-boy, m-m-romance
I really had a love/hate relationship with the first 80% of this book. I loved the two MC's but hated that one was walked all over by his domineering father and the other was a rent boy, needing money, but not willing to give up that profession even for what seemed like a great love. Lots of unanswered questions that left me hating that I couldn't figure out what was going on.

There was also some MMM along the way, with an orgy thrown in to boot. College friends getting it on while rent boy is pu
seventhdevil
I can’t even begin to describe the level of excitement I experience every time I start a new book by Laura Lascarso. She always takes me on an emotional adventure with her beautiful writing and A Madness Most Discreet was not an exception.
I think I am still slightly traumatised from The Book Of Orlando (which I loved but boy was that a rollercoaster), so the lighter tone of Madness was a pleasant surprise. It was a thoroughly enjoyable story with interesting characters and I really really hope
Jeff
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ms Lascarso has done it yet again. A published author Michael meets Arden a model and escort. They embark on life altering journey full of twists. Arden was raised by his father from an early age, and led a life on the high seas on his father's boat. They visited several ports and that is when he learned the value of a service he could deliver. Trying not to divulge to much info. For me it was an exciting read and pulled me in to the adventure. Cant wait for more. ...more
Steiner
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was great. I like it when an author challenges me with what I think is romantic. I thought all the characters were well drawn. I couldn't see how we would get to HEA but she did it well. I didn't expect this to be so good. ...more
Jenni Wolff
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: again, laura-lascarso
Perfection. I noticed someone stating they didn’t think that Arden and Micheal would stay together. I felt that the ending was clear they were. Arden had found his happy ending.
Carol Levitt
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Couldn't finish.

I got about halfway through and quit. I didn't like or understand either of the main characters. The book made me squeamish.
Susie
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love and will read anything by Laura L. This book was life.

That is all.

Also, the cover is to die for.😍

kes ✨
Nov 24, 2020
Chaya_123
Jun 23, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • Surviving the Merge (Chadwick #1)
  • Cabin Fever
  • Spring Strings
  • The Parable of the Mustard Seed
  • The Boy Who Loved Wicked
  • The Making of Jonty Bloom (Unfinished Business, #1)
  • Abstract Love
  • Try Me (Extracurricular Activities #2)
  • We Have Till Dawn
  • The Redemption of River (Sex in Seattle, #4)
  • After Felix (Close Proximity, #3)
  • Down Low (Down Home #1)
  • Unnatural (The Wrong Alpha, #1)
  • The Stopping Place
  • Coming in First Place (Between the Teeth #1)
  • Pieces of You (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • Charlie Sunshine (Close Proximity, #2)
Laura Lascarso wants you to stay up way past your bedtime reading her stories. She aims to inspire more questions than answers in her fiction and believes in the power of storytelling to heal and transform a society.

When not writing, Laura can be found screaming “finish” on the soccer fields, rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender, and trying to convince politicians to act on climate change. She l