Start by marking “The Defense of Exeter Station” as Want to Read:

The Defense of Exeter Station

At the turn of the twenty-ninth century, the Milky Way is on the verge of a galactic war. The Combined Systems Alliance continues to expand their territory—much to the displeasure of the Free Planetary Union who, until now, lacked the resources to halt the encroachment. In a bid to wrest control from the Alliance and retake their former colonies, Union agents throughout th ...more
Kindle Edition
Published June 27th 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Defense of Exeter Station, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Defense of Exeter Station

Start your review of The Defense of Exeter Station
Shalini
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A scifi thriller which was unstoppable in its pace and smooth in its writing. Author Thom Bedford, in his debut, had whacked this one out of the park with twists, action, and unexpected events.

At the galactic war, retired Commander Sandhorn found himself called to active duty when the antagonists were set to attack Exeter Station. It was a fight for their lives, for their very freedom.

The first thing I experienced while going into this book was pure action while Sandhorn and his team dealt with
Stanley McShane
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tannic Sandorn is an ex-naval officer commanding a space freighter in a future galaxy. This author develops his narrative with satisfying attention to detail. The ideas are his own and I enjoyed the development of the plot. Mixing a little romance between the ship's senior officer and his pilot added a satisfying romance to the tale. I found myself pushed to read the story in a short period of time.

Treachery is a brisk drink quickly swallowed. An interstellar power grab is foisted on the hero in
Steven Allen
May 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an advance review copy for free from Book Sirens, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

As a long time fan of space opera, and having read many of the authors that this author mentioned, I had high hopes for The Defense of Exeter Station by Thom Bedford. As a disabled retired veteran of the US Navy and US Army, I am sensitive to egregious military errors.

Bedford shows great promise, his writing is concise, and the world is interesting and well developed. I like how the characters
Dot Miller
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing

By Thom Bedford

Wow! I Want More!

The Defense of Exeter Station starts with a bang as a heavy jolt throws Tanic Sandorn, the owner and captain of the Kadpass, out of his bunk, onto his desk and eventually onto the floor. He scrambled to get to Engineering where he discovered that one of the cooling chambers had exploded. He joined his chief engineer, Sara Durand, as the two of them worked frantically to stop the main core from exploding and turning the ship and crew in
Gilbert Stack
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Defense of Exeter Station is the story of an important early military action in a complex war between the Alliance and the Union. Part of the complexity of the novel is that neither the Alliance nor the Union appear to be particularly admirable political entities. The Alliance is a military and economic powerhouse that has been using its resources to take advantage of a large number of colonial systems. Many of those systems resent the domination by the Alliance core systems and accuse the A ...more
Peter Baran
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Military / Fleet Science Fiction is a big subgenre for all number of reasons. War has always been a source of good storytelling, and if you are inventing a future world, its a nice narrative hook to hang it on. Then considering the drama inherent in hierarchies, whilst being able to do conflict without having to deal with the discomfort of taking a side in mundane Earth conflicts where being on the right side is much more a matter of opinion than morality.

The Defense Of Exeter Station is a prett
Emily Pennington
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This wasn’t a book that I could immediately say that I loved. I had a hard time picking which side I was supposed to be cheering for! The Alliance was making every effort to expand their territory while the Union tried to stop their encroachment. The rest got sorted out, however, as I read further into the story line.

What I do love is the active battle going on right from the first page and the descriptive details provided to pull me into the story. So if it’s action you want, then this book wi
Wanda Jewell
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a good space battle book. I liked the main characters. The story line was interesting. This was a very good read and I enjoyed it. I would recommend it.

Cordelia
Marta Allen
Jul 14, 2020
Scott
Aug 18, 2020

• Direct Fire (Drop Trooper, #4)
  • Legacy of Lies (Bocephus Haynes, #1)
  • War from a Distant Sun (Savage Stars Book 1)
  • Act of Deception (Doc Brady #2)
  • Caribbean Kill (The Executioner, #10)
  • Midshipman Henry Gallant in Space  (The Henry Gallant Saga, #1)
  • A Double Shot of Magic (Perfect Brew #2)
  • London Mates: Paranormal Romance Collection
  • Kinetic Strike (Drop Trooper #2)
  • Departure (Seth Walker #3)
  • Welcome to our Village Please Invade Carefully: Series 1  2
  • Mated (Garrison Earth, #3)
  • Core Punch: An Uneasy Future 1.0
  • Lone Bitch: A Wolf Shifter Romance
  • Adventures of a Vegan Vamp (Vegan Vamp, #1)
  • Crooks and Crystals (Hocus Pocus #3)
  • Weapons Free (Battlegroup Z, #1)
  • The Pearl of York, Treason and Plot
Thom grew up in suburban Cheshire, England with his parents and brother. During school he had a propensity for creativity, either writing, building models, painting, or programming. Every subject choice was motivated by creating and building, whether it be design technology, graphic design, programming, or creative writing.

After studying Computer Science at The University of Manchester, he started