Start by marking “Sisters in Sanity” as Want to Read:
Sisters in Sanity

Sisters in Sanity

Have you ever had the out-of-control dream? The one where you know you're not crazy, but no one around you--not your parents, not your teachers, not even the authorities--will listen to you? For sixteen-year-old Brit Hemphill, the out-of-control dream comes true when her dad enrolls her at Red Rock, a bogus treatment center that claims to cure rebellious teen girls. At Red ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Harper Teen (first published August 16th 2007)

Emily May
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana

Here's a book to read if you want to be seriously pissed off. But no, I shouldn't say that, because Sisters in Sanity is actually an excellent read and I'm wanting to sell it to you. So, instead I should say: this is a book to read if you like stories that leave a lasting impression. Or if you want to be introduced to an array of memorable characters. Or if you're sick of books with whiny heroines that base every thought and action around their (probably supernatural) boyfriends. And if you wou
Flannery
I knew of Gayle Forman from her book If I Stay, which I wrote a gushing review of a few months back. A few of us decided to read this lesser-known work of hers together this week. I was excited to read the book because of the author and because I was reading it with friends…but not so excited about the subject matter. I assumed that this was rather well-worn territory, what with Girl Interrupted and all. Also, I wasn’t in the mood for a depressing book. Sisters in Sanity surprised me in a good w ...more
Tatiana
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: Flannery
Shelves: 2011, ya
This book literally enraged me.

I understand that being a parent can be difficult. I understand children can get out of control or need special help and sometimes tough love. But surely there is a better way to deal with a gay girl or a girl who has put on extra 30 pounds than to warehouse her at a boot camp whose "treatments" include days-long isolation and humiliation "therapy" performed by individuals with no education or training?

Brit gets admitted to the same boot camp by her father for dye
Arlene
Sisters in Sanity is one of those occasional books that just causes a clusterf*ck of emotions in me that I can’t justify giving it anything less than 5 stars. I just can’t. There’s nothing that destroys my defenses more than a kid that’s unjustly treated for the capital offense of simply being a teenager. Gayle Forman once again pulled at my heartstrings with this raw, powerful story filled with characters that felt nothing less than real to me. Perfectly done!

In this book, sixteen year old Brit
Vivian
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mooi boek! Heftig, maar ook krachtig in de manier waarop de thema's worden uitgewerkt. De sterke Forman-stijl is hier al goed aanwezig! Uitgebreide recensie: http://thebookreview.nl/recensies/con...
Hristina
Sisters in Sanity is one of the first books that I read in English (it's also one of the first e-books I've read). This was my second time reading it, and the two things I remembered about it from the first time reading still stand: this book is an emotional roller-coaster, and this book is infuriating.
The friendships that the girls have are inspiring, the characters are amazing, and it's written in a very readable tone. BUT, is this really how the real world works? It's easier for me to believe
Adele
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Having read two Gayle Forman titles now I can attest to them being a very quick read. Whether this is attributed to being awesome or being shorter than some YA novels or being extremely well paced or a combination of the three, I don't know. Having loved If I Stay so much I was a little scared to read Sisters in Sanity, how could it compare?

I shouldn't have worried.

Forman has again demonstrated her wonderful skills in characterisation, crafting a group of girls that are as different as night a
Samantha
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo-plus
In een opwelling besloot ik om in dit boek te beginnen. Dit boek was ik een tijdje terug tegen gekomen op kobo plus en bovendien is het een standalone. Aangezien ik hoooop met kerst nog wat leuke boeken te krijgen, wilde ik een boek oppakken wat ik mogelijk best snel uit zou kunnen lezen en dat is gelukt!

Brit wordt naar de red rock academy gestuurd. Ze wordt gezien als een heftige puber die zich niet aan de regels houdt en daar zullen ze op de academy wel even korte metten mee maken. Eens zien o
Allen Grace
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, ya, 2013-reads, favorites
[image error] photo large_zps8e02767d.jpg

"We'd like to think that craziness and sanity are on opposite ends of an ocean, but really they're more like neighboring islands. . ."

Sisters in Sanity gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling, like drinking mocha cappuccino in a fine afternoon. Or the feeling I get when I brushed past a secondhand bookstore. Or listening to the musical rendition of One Direction's One way or another while cruising around the music aisle in a music store. LOL

One way or another I'm gonna win ya.
I'm gonna get
Brittbiba
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-Geen spoilers-

3.5

Dit boek was prachtig, desondanks de harde wereld van Red Rock waar de meiden zich in bevinden, nemen ze het voor elkaar op. Ze geven elkaar rugdekking.

Ik heb er ontzettend van genoten. Gayle Forman is één van mijn favoriete schrijfsters geworden. Ze kan personages zo levensecht voorstellen en ze kan ieder onderwerp aan, zelf gevoelige kwesties als Red Rock. Ik ben er zeker van dat dit niet het laatste verhaal is dat ik van haar zal lezen :).
Elizabeth Wallace
Dec 31, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one. It's pretty much brain candy and bad candy at that
The fact I didn't like this book was a surprise. I had expected it to deserve four or five stars, maybe three at the least. I got it from the library because so many different people loved it. But nope, I didn't. Sorry, everyone.

I really have a hard time with books that portray all the adults as one-dimensional bad guys. You know, the ones where the teenagers barely have teen angst and they're just rising heroes? This was one of those books.

The protagonist was just too indignant, the grown-ups
Veronique
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deze had ik al een tijdje tussen mijn ebooks staan om te lezen met kobo plus. Steeds twijfelde ik of het wel wat zou zijn. Ik ben blij dat ik het eindelijk gelezen heb.

Het is best heftig wat die meiden door moeten maken en ik kan alleen maar hopen dat het in het echt niet zo heftig is.

Dit was echt zo’n verhaal waarin ik steeds verder wilde lezen. Ik wilde weten hoe het met ze ging. Door de vrij korte hoofdstukken was het ook makkelijk om tussendoor steeds wat te lezen.

Tatyana Naumova
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, wtf
Ну как-то карательная психиатрия со времен Кизи стала удивительно беззубой
Плюс -убогие психологические обоснования
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
review to come
Shreeka
Words can't describe how much I absolutely LOVED this book! I'm actually disappointed that I didn't read this book earlier because this is by far my favorite Gayle Foreman book.

I just love reading books about girl empowerment, stories about rebels fighting against the wrong doers, fighting for justice and all that stuffs and esp if they are girls. I missed reading these kind of books. I used to be a sucker for them when I first started reading books. It strangely felt nostalgic. It's like I was
Fatima
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Sisters in Sanity es la primera novela de Gayle Forman. Su escritura es entretenida y como siempre nos muestra sentimientos. En este relato resalta algo más peculiar y real. Note que al ser su primera novela hay una diferencia marcada en el personaje principal, el cual encuentro incompleto, pero admito que me entretuve como asi te ofrece un mensaje al final.

En el mismo hay dosis de romance, una familia con problemas y tal vez una taza de crecimiento de carácter individual. Pero es la amist
Noémie
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gayle Forman a voulu écrire sur le sujet des camps de redressement après avoir publié un article pour la magzine Seventeen (célèbre magazine américain) où elle avait rencontré de nombreux jeunes.
L'histoire débute avec Brit adolescente qui n'accepte pas l'autorité de son père et notamment de sa belle-même, le monstre comme elle l'appelle. Cependant au fil de l'histoire on comprend plus le comportement de Brit, sa mère artiste est devenue au fil des années schizophrène et les a quitté. Le père de
Isabelle (Belle's Book Adventures/the Book Dutchesses)
Een mooi boek over vriendschap, anders zijn en geloven in jezelf.
Ik ben ontzettend fan van Gayle Forman, ik heb nog twee boeken te gaan van haar (Haar dag en Zijn Jaar) en dan wordt het wachten op een nieuw boek. Dit is absoluut een auteur op m'n auto-buy list.
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 3.75/5

Review coming soon!
Alyssa
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Brit is tricked by her father into thinking she is going on a terrible family vacation where she has to endure her new "stepmonster", but instead is dropped off at Red Rock- a sham treatment center that claims to cure rebellious girls. Treated like a prisoner, Brit and her new misfit friends attempt to keep their sanity, and to bring down Red Rock once and for all.

This had a good premise, and was a quick read. However, I couldn't help but feel the story was too shallow, and didn't go to the dep
Diego Ravarotto
Um livro com um capítulo inicial muito bom, mas que, entre planos de fuga e artimanhas para sobreviver, consegue, inacreditavelmente, perder todo e qualquer apelo, terminando com um final monotônico. As personagens de O Que Há de Estranho em Mim (Sisters in Sanity) são inicialmente bastante interessantes, somos recebidos por caracteres bastante atrativos dada a sua complexidade aparente. Infelizmente, após metade da leitura, nenhuma personagem parece realmente evoluir -- a não ser por Virginia, ...more
Lisa Thomasse
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gayle Forman a vraiment ce truc pour décrire l'amitié et l'amour, il m'arrive de lire des romans entier à ces sujets et ça ne m'affectent pas du tout alors qu'avec cette auteure en quelques lignes me voilà qui souris bêtement.
J'avais vraiment beaucoup aimé Si je reste et j'ai retrouvé dans ce livre-ci cette même légèreté qui te fait tourner les pages sans même t'en rendre compte tout en restant assez touchant. J'ai trouvé que c'était une belle histoire d'amitié et encore plus une belle histoire
Yui Tamashi
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Za każdym razem jak widzę, że w Polsce wychodzi nowa książka autorstwa Gayle Forman, to ogromnie się cieszę, bo przez to że jeszcze nie zawiodłam się na jej powieściach, stałą się ona jedną z moich ulubionych autorek gatunku Young Adult. Z tego powodu z przyjemnością zabrałam się za Zawsze stanę przy tobie.

Brit ma kolorowe włosy, gra w punk rockowym zespole i słabo dogaduje się ze swoją macochą. Te wszystkie rzeczy są typowe dla
Allyson Maclay
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unless you have ever worked near or around ppl that have been in schools like this you would not under stand how real this is. There are schools like this maybe not as strict but just as bad bc they have there own problems even though this book is ten years old it’s still relevant
Mascha (Het Leeslint)
matig boek, met redelijk hoge voorspelbaarheid. Jammer! Dit had zoveel beter uitgewerkt kunnen worden...
is helaas niet gebeurd. Te weinig diepgang wat mij betreft. Meer weten?
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
4.25
Read for the Gayle Forman Read Along (woo!)
Signed paperback purchased from Books of Wonder, New York, NY

Initial Impressions: Wow, so incredibly interesting to see the Gayle Forman book that started it all! I saw sooo much of If I Stay in it (and incredibly excited to read that again!).
I loved the characters and the ending was so beautiful. It was a bit lighter and not as emotionally raw as Gayle's more recent books, but I enjoyed it all the same! I really loved the ending. Several special
Saoirse
4.5 stars WARNING: This book generally contains and depicts scenes which tug heartstrings and well your eyes so much that it typically itches and you just can't stop staring at the ceiling, contemplating about the memorable characters that have to say goodbye upon ending the book, the massive emotions that sail along the plot lines, and the incredible journey you have shared with your bed whilst reading the whole thing.

I am truthfully suffering from a bruised forehead (It's getting awfully yell
Alex
Jul 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Brit lost a lot when her mother disappeared. Her mother had schizophrenia but was never admitted into a hospital, so one day just went away, gone, from Brit's life. Brit's life fell apart, as did her dad. A couple years after, her dad remarried and had a baby boy. Brit was pushed aside. Brit joined a band, got some piercings, tattoos, and was deemed too wild and crazy to handle. So was sent to Red Rock center.

Brit's an good character. Not superb or all that memorable, but nice. For all her dyed
Halida
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
If you've read If I Stay or Just One Day, believe me, you'll have hard time accepting that Sisters in Sanity is also crafted by Gayle Forman. I didn't even realize it's hers until I read this:
"I stared out the window in between sneaking glances at Jed—mainly at the side of his neck. I had such an urge to lick it, imagining the taste, salty with dried sweat."
Forman and her sweat fetish. The way she sees boys' sweat is like me looking at a mint-flavored candy cane. I just can't wait to lick it! Ug
Diana Welsch
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I know what it's like to feel like your parents don't want you around, so the premise of this fed one of my younger self's greatest insecurities. 16-year old Brit's parents used to be cool. They owned a hip coffee shop in Portland and Brit was always surrounded by cool artist and musician types who helped her with her homework and talked and listened to her. But her mother gradually became stricken with a severe mental illness and disappeared from her life. Her father remarried an uptight woman ...more
Young Adult bookc...: Vuurvliegjes 8 13 Oct 03, 2015 01:21PM
  • Les Cendres de l'oubli (Phænix, #1)
  • 天使なんかじゃない―完全版 3 [Tenshi Nanka Janai: Kanzenban 3]
  • This is How I Find Her
  • Pink Floyd and Philosophy: Careful with that Axiom, Eugene!
  • Le réveil (Le Livre de Saskia, #1)
  • The Noah Confessions
  • Nailed
  • Notes from an Accidental Band Geek
  • Solace of the Road
  • Saltwater Moons
Award-winning author and journalist Gayle Forman has written several bestselling novels for young adults, including the Just One Series, I Was Here, Where She Went and the #1 New York Times bestseller If I Stay, which has been translated into more than 40 languages and in 2014 was adapted into a major motion picture.

Gayle published Leave Me, her first novel starring adults in 2016 and her latest
“There are monsters all around us
They can be so hard to see
hey don't have fangs, no blood-soaked claws
They look like you and me.

But we're not defenseless
We're no damsels in distress
Together we can fend off the attack
All we gotta do is watch our backs.

Your body is beautiful how it is
Who you love is nobody's business
We all contemplate life and death
It's the poet who gives these thoughts
breath.

The monster is strong, don't be mistaken
It thrives on fear-keeps us isolated
But together we can fend off its attack
All we gotta do is watch our backs.

In your darkest hour
When the fight's made you weary
When you think you've lost your power
When you can't see clearly
When you're ready to surrender
Give in to the black
look over your shoulder
I've got your back.”
19 likes
“That's all we can do, Brit. Take steps. Take enough of them and suddenly, you're somewhere.” 8 likes