Start by marking “Evoke (Lake Haven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Evoke (Lake Haven, #1)

Evoke

(Lake Haven #1)

Set in the fictional town of Lake Haven, Maine, Evoke examines the complexities of love and loss among childhood friends after a tragic accident claims the lives of three, while leaving two behind.

When five friends return home from college for the summer, it feels as if the friendship that has bound them together since childhood is stronger than ever. But when Laney Thomas
Kindle Edition, 3, 234 pages
Published May 15th 2020 (first published November 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Evoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evoke

Start your review of Evoke (Lake Haven, #1)
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First Off I have to say KUDOS to this book. I have not read a YA/NA book in a while and I have to say that this one grabbed me right from page one and kept me reading till the end and when the end came I wanted more. I need the second book like ASAP! This book has brought so many emotions out of me. I laughed and I cried but most off all I was curious what was going on and why we have such a tragic loss.

5 Friends come home for the summer from college. They are enjoying themselves and spending ti
Kat
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book had a mix of emotions. We are thrown into this tragic situation where we immediately can tell that something sad occurred. Since the main character is vulnerable, having spent two months in the hospital, we are stuck slowly discovering the events that led up to the present.

This is a story about friendship, love, and discovery. Don't go into this book thinking that you will need a couple boxes of tissues because there are happier moments thrown in. The author throws in a mix of present-
Christine Antosca
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-book-tours

The cover alone showed us that the main character, Laney, is someone who is remorseful after the death of her three friends in an accident where she was the sole survivor. You can sense her sadness, making you want her to find happiness in the end.

Simmon's writing, although had some of the same tendencies in young adult novels, was still original in it's own way. Young love from an early age reunited with a tragic event...we've seen it before but Simmons made it intriguing by going back and fort

Dawn Hosmer
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing debut novel by DM Simmons. I didn't just read this book, I devoured it. I was hooked from the first page and am now anxious to read the sequel. I experienced a full range of emotions while reading - from laughter to crying.

The writing is so atmospheric and makes me want to pack up & move to a coastal Maine town. The book has a bit of mystery, romance, suspense and characters who touch the reader's heart. While this book is YA, there are themes that are relevant to all age groups
Julie Schneider
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never been much of reader, but Evoke changed that. I couldn’t put it down. Although it’s considered young adult, this adult still got lost in Laney’s recovery from the accident and how her memories unfolded. I loved how the author integrated flashbacks and memories into the story and really brought the reader along Laney’s journey. I can’t wait for the rest of the series to be released, it left me wanting more.
I do have to add that I received an ARC at no cost from the author, but that in
Esther Haddie's Haven
As the first installment to a brand new series, I think Evoke does an excellent job in being the hook. Because I was hooked from the description, but once I was actually in the book and within Laney's mind. I fell in love with Evan. I despised Dean. I feel that Danielle Simmons did a great job in writing Laney's memory loss and all that comes her way as that memory returns. Her (the author) writing style was great. The characters, the story. It was all amazing.

4.5 Stars.

DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN
Ashley Nicole
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Simply put: Beautiful

Let me start by saying this isn't the normal genre I read. I'm more into fantasy rather than sweet romances. But this book's characters and premise did not disappoint!

I finished this book in less than two days. I couldn't help myself from turning page after page. I needed to know more!

Even though I had not been in a situation like Laney, she still felt relatable. I could tell where her emotions were coming from.

This book gave me some If I Stay vibes, even though the charact
Bookworm Bells
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely 5 star!
This is a seriously great book, god my emotions! Up/down, left/right, all over the place! What a journey she went through and thank god for Evan! I WANT ONE!!
Slightly disappointed at the end but I’m really hoping that this story is not finished and there is more to come 🙏🏻😨
C.L. Ogilvie
*Thank you to the author for gifting me a free copy of this novel in a giveaway! The following is my honest review.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable read. Laney’s grief was very relatable and heartbreaking, and it’s given real weight as she tries to move forward without her friends. I loved the atmosphere of the small, coastal town with its close-knit community, and the sense of shared grief that follows Laney throughout the story. (There was even a shout-out to my home province, Nova Scotia!)
N.W. Moors
I grabbed this book because it takes place in Maine and looked interesting. The writing is good and the mystery evolves at a good pace. The characters are typical YA, but okay though I found Dean somewhat of a caricature which is too bad as PTSD is a serious problem in veterans. The setting was not really recognizable as coastal Maine, probably not something that would bother most readers but I found it disconcerting. All in all, it's an okay book, but I didn't feel moved to get the next book in ...more
Grady
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘I don’t remember being in an accident.’

California author Danielle Simmons makes an impressive debut with EVOKE – the first installment in her planned trilogy, ‘Lake Haven.’ After earning her BA in English from the University of the Pacific and now lives in the San Francisco Bay Area where she works as a public relations executive.

It is rare for an author to be able to establish a mood in the opening words of a novel that asks the reader to visit a tragedy, but Danielle has already mastered this
B.A. Ellison
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama, speculative
4 Stars

I connected with the characters and plot of this novel having been through a pretty bad accident myself. Unfortunately, my recovery didn't play out in a love story like this one did, but I connected with other aspects of the novel just long enough to pull me through to its close. Evoke, I believe, is a strong read for its genre, but I thought it ran a little long and had a decent amount of exposition, which would have made for better character development or scenes in regards to what actu
Zoe L.
Well dang this book was good! Like seriously, I couldn’t put it down! If you’ve read any of my other reviews lately you’ll know that I’ve been struggling to stay focused on books, so it really came as a shock that I was so instantly lured into this story! But lured, hooked, sunk I was! I HAD to know what happens (something I can usually figure out right away) and then even at the end there was another HUGE twist! I also see on Goodreads that it’s listed as a series, so now I kind of need the nex ...more
Tiffany Arnold
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The summary talks of a tale of five friends, bonded in a tight friendship, one day Laney wakes up a sole survivor of a car accident that killed three of her friends. But this story is so much more than that.

In this story, we are following Laney’s mind as she loses a whole week from her life. We walk with her as she remembers pieces and the pain of losing those closes to her.
The grief you feel in the beginning is a lasting one, it’s as if your own heart has been ripped out. Danielle Simmons takes
Ashleigh
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this story because of its strong characters and emotional scenes. Though some of it left me confused. There was a a section near the beginning that felt more like an info dump where I wished the author had separated the back grounds of the supporting characters or weaved them in in a different way. And the ending is still confusing to me.
I also want to warn that, even though it didn't occur, there were instances in the story that left me to assume that physical abuse or sexual
David Voyles
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised when I started reading Evoke for several reasons. First of all because I had seen the book described as being in the horror genre, and being a fan of horror, I was disappointed when after two chapters I didn't find any elements of spooky, supernatural events. But DM Simmons' characters were so realistic, and the mystery she presented caught me up so easily that before long it didn't matter that this wasn't a horror novel. Simmons' creation of the small town, the anguish of the ma ...more
Rabid Reads
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting story about a woman who endures the shock of tragedy, and finds an anchor to the world she knows when the dust starts to clear.

The story is definitely written for the young adult scene, but as most young adult stories they can be enjoyed across multiple age groups. Simmons does a good job of basically reverse engineering the story and revealing bit by bit, kind of like a mystery but not quite.

The writing is solid, I found it flowed quite well (which is a good thing since t
Clyve Rose
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a lovely read, I found myself tearing up towards the end. I did guess the twist and I won't detail it here (no spoilers - you'll have to read it and see). I must say I felt more drawn to the hero and his story, his heart, than I did the heroine in this but they are a good match as a couple and are obviously good for each other.
I got some 'Fifty First Dates' vibes and at times the story and the emotional depth with which it is told, reminded me a little of Nicholas Sparks. There is
A.E. Bross
Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect when I finally cracked open my copy of Evoke by Danielle Simmons. What I found, though, was a deep and engaging exploration of emotions, of what ties people together, and what drives them apart. I was particularly taken, not only with the main character, Laney, but with Evan as well. The book gives an intimate view of what it is to look through the eyes of another, and how that maybe, deep down, we all know both our best and worst selves.

I can't go into too
C.D. Storiz
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A riveting exploration into the forgotten memories of Lainey, a college student who woke from a coma two months after a car accident. It's a tale of woe, mystery, misery, friendship, and forgotten love. Some of the explanations left me a bit thinking 'cop out', especially when it came to the relationship with her mother and I didn't quite get the whole Dean situation (a tad unrealistic IMO) but overall the writing and the story were beautifully executed and kept me reading. I was so engulfed in ...more
Jennifer Lane
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Evoke does so much more than walk you through Alaina’s journey with survivor’s guilt. Simmons’ debut is a deep emotional sprint through recovered memory. Though Evoke is categorized as a young adult novel, it will tug at the heart of adult readers, catapulting you back to the emotional dynamic shifts that churn through youthful friendships. All the sudden I’m back in college, facing tough choices between loyalty and love. As Alaina finds herself again through the memories she recovers, her world ...more
Alain Davis
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evoke lives up to its name. I have never been happier to be emotionally invested in a story. This has be connecting with Alaina, the main character as she recovers from a terrible auto accident, and struggles to make sense of the events leading up to the accident, as well as life after. I was drawn into the story almost immediately and enjoyed this roller coaster immensely: I cheered Alaina in, was angry in her behalf and at times on the edge of my seat. I was completely, pleasantly, surprised b ...more
Fragrant Vagrant
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not the biggest reader of YA fiction for the most part but I do like to dip my toe in every once in a while, and having done that with Evoke I was pleasantly rewarded by a solidly written book with a pretty compelling plot.

I would also say not to be overly misled by the cover either as it seems to indicate, at least to me, that this would be more of a romance type book but it has a lot more going on than that. The mystery aspect of the book is the most enthralling, and it can get pretty chi
Ryan Albright
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evoke is a fictional story of a young woman who is injured in a horrific car accident and essentially loses everything, including herself. Through the power of love she is able to overcome incredible odds. This is not your average love story and it kept me guessing at every chapter. It is an easy read and I had a hard time putting it down. I am looking forward to the next book. A highly recommended read!
Dennis
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well read this book and I found the premise of the read excellent I especially liked the location and the main characters take on how things happened to them. I think its intriguing as I wondered all along how would this read end so it kept me reading. I am not an avid reader but I HIGHLY recommend this book for your 20-30age. Its has a fascinating concept!
Tammy Collado
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written and I truly can not wait for more of this story with the second book. Thank you to the author Danielle Simmons for sparking my interest again in getting lost in a good book. It had been a while.
Nakita Farrare
Mar 08, 2019
Alaina Keliihoomalu
Mar 08, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
New Adult Book Club: #97/18 ~ Evoke by Danielle Simmons 12 49 Feb 15, 2019 12:16PM

• The Four Before Me
  • Karma
  • The End of Echoes
  • Another Dead Intern
  • We Are Mars (The Rubicon Saga, #1)
  • Darkest Betrayals
  • Alone In The Light
  • Bury The Lead
  • Storm At Dawn (The Rubicon Saga, #2)
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • Love Songs (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bits & Pieces
  • The Bookshop on the Shore (Scottish Bookshop, #2)
  • Ghost Story