Start by marking “The Ex Talk” as Want to Read:
The Ex Talk

The Ex Talk

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  50,519 ratings  ·  7,921 reviews
Public radio co-hosts navigate mixed signals in Rachel Lynn Solomon's sparkling romantic comedy debut.

Shay Goldstein has been a producer at her Seattle public radio station for nearly a decade, and she can't imagine working anywhere else. But lately it's been a constant clash between her and her newest colleague, Dominic Yun, who's fresh off a journalism master's program a
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 336 pages
Published January 26th 2021 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Ex Talk, please sign up.
Sarah O'Hara Found it on page 50, "what would a mediocre white man do?" …moreFound it on page 50, "what would a mediocre white man do?" (less)
Tracy Gold The book is focused on a heterosexual relationship but does a wonderful job of including LGBT+ relationships for side characters, as, you know, people…moreThe book is focused on a heterosexual relationship but does a wonderful job of including LGBT+ relationships for side characters, as, you know, people are LGBT+ in real life. VERY 18+, so avoid if you're not trying to read sex scenes! (less)

·  50,519 ratings  ·  7,921 reviews

Start your review of The Ex Talk
Emily May
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021, romance, arc
The hype made me try this one, but I'm sorry to say The Ex Talk was just not my cup of tea.

I'll give some credit where it's due: Solomon writes steamy sex scenes. None of that fade-to-black nonsense. This part of the book was done well, but it was a shame that I never warmed to the main couple - Shay and Dominic - like I was supposed to. I imagine if I'd been madly shipping them that it would have been all the more exciting.

Problem is, this supposedly funny romance was not that funny to me. Ther
Kat
Jun 26, 2021 added it
what an average book! mediocre! okay....ish! other words that mean the same thing! i wish i could join the masses of readers who adored The Ex Talk, but it just wasn't enough that set it apart from the other stories i've read.

the premise was not as interesting as i'd originally hoped. maybe bc i don't listen to public radio (the number of times i open spotify in a day is truly absurd), maybe bc most of the on air banter that we saw between dominic and shay were tiny, scripted excerpts of their
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wooooooooooowww! I’m screaming and crying so hard! For long a time I haven’t read it something so addictive, entertaining, smart, adorable! I didn’t want it finish. I wanted to read those smartass banters between MCs forever. I can read a book belong to their podcast episodes. Correction: I can read at least 20 books belongs to Shay and Don’s sexy, tempting, hot as hell, intelligent podcast series.

But unfortunately I stayed up all night and finished this book because I couldn’t put it down. My
megs_bookrack
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-read
**4.5-stars rounded up**

Shay Goldstein has been a producer at her local public radio station for nearly a decade. She started just after college and enjoys it so much, she can't imagine working anywhere else.

Dominic Yun is Shay's newest coworker. He's fresh out of a Masters Degree program in Journalism and boy, does he love to talk about it.

Dominic's the current hot-shot at the station that all the higher-ups seem to love, but frankly, his very presence drives Shay a little batty.

Sure, he's good
Gabby
4.5/5 stars
I had so much fun with this book. I adored both of these characters so much. We have Shay, who is nearing thirty and feeling like she’s still trying to figure out how to be an adult and she’s been working at this radio station for ten years, and her Dad died when she was a senior in high school. And we have Dominic, who is a bit younger than her, he’s Korean, and he just graduated with a masters degree and is new at their radio station.

This book was so much FUN, it was so flirty and
chan ☆
Feb 16, 2021 rated it liked it
on paper this book should have worked for me

- heroine older than hero
- steamy scenes
- cool podcast premise
- hero NOT a player

but the execution was just okay. i think i would have preferred this had the focus been more on the actual interactions during the show. i was surprised by the choice to have the characters go on a weekend trip mid way through the book. i wanted the development to happen on air and i wanted a liiiittle more tension before they jumped in bed.

and generally speaking, this fel
jessica
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
as a public radio fan, i give this book two thumbs up.

i totally adore the plot concept. im a sucker for ‘forced proximity’ romance stories, so i was all for the idea of shay and dom faking their relationship (and break up) all for the sake of work. their banter works well with the easy-going writing style and the setting is perfect.

i do wish there was more ‘on air’ time between shay and dom. a few brief episode transcripts are thrown in here and there but, for revolving around a radio show/pod
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Dominic Yun, my HEART. This book was so, so special. Another one that was right at the top of my most anticipated 2021 releases, and I am so happy to say that it (mostly) lived up to the hype. Even though I didn't super love that the premise of the book revolves around a podcast that is based entirely on a lie, I grew to love and understand Shay and Dominic so much and was rooting for them SO! HARD! every step of the way. I will say, my biggest issue (and what kept this book from being a full 5 ...more
EmBibliophile [hiatus]
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 3-stars

I came here for a cute romantic comedy that would brighten my mood, but what I got wasn’t cute, romantic, or even slightly funny.

Its just that everything felt so forced. The jokes felt forced and like they were taken from some memes from the internet. Their romance felt so forced and so unnatural. I also didn’t like the fact that they became together after having a pity party. I don’t know I just felt weird seeing them interact. Like okay you both sound so awkward.

I kinda liked Dominic,
emma
Maybe, at this point, I shouldn't be legally permitted to read romance.

There is clearly some sort of obstacle course or large blockade between my eyes (reading) and my emotional center (where I should feel the effects of the reading, and usually don't). At this point, I probably like 1 in every 10 romances I read.

It's time to do my usual strategy, and blame myself.

I felt NOTHING during this book. The romance was not convincing to me. Also, as a 23 year old, I can barely imagine dating a 24 year
Warda
4.5 🌟

Man, this worked so well for me. It’s great that authors can more or less get into your heads and create characters from your thoughts and make them horribly relatable. My heart was so full!

I loved Shay. I loved Dominic. I loved the side characters, the dialogue, the radio/podcast segments and how much it made me root for this story, in general.

And I’m also starting to realise how much I love a podcast element to stories. Storytelling in all kinds of different art forms I love.

I hope Rac
Heather
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The hate to love romance, the podcast & NPR elements, the face that it was set in the Pacific Northwest. It was adorable. I have read all 3 of Rachel Lynn Soloman's YA books before and loved them so I'm excited to see her foray into the adult romance genre.
Already I can tell this will make it on my favorite romance reads at the end of the year!
Sheyla ✎
So what happens when you're forced to work with your nemesis and then find out, he's not as bad as you thought he was?

The perfect recipe for a great work romance novel!

Shay Goldstein has spent the last decade as the producer of a radio show. She is content to work behind the scenes since she doesn't believe she has the voice to be on the radio. Her dad and Shay spent many days playing at having their own talk show and despite the years he has been gone, she still misses him dearly. When he died
Kaceey
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
Shay Goldstein has dreamed of being on public radio her whole life. To follow in her late father’s footsteps. But despite years of dedication and sacrifice, finds herself on the other side of the booth producing rather than presenting.

When younger male hotshot Dominic Yun is instead presented the opportunity to sit in front of the microphone, Shay is absolutely dumbstruck. She has been passed over once again.

But maybe Karma is intervening. When the station becomes mired in financial trouble, th
Michael David (on hiatus)
If you’re looking for a fun rom-com with laughs, likable characters, some depth, and some serious heat 🔥🔥 ...look no further!

Shay Goldstein has worked for Pacific Public Radio for the past decade, currently producing a show called Puget Sounds. She absolutely loves her job, even if she doesn’t always care for her colleagues. Enter Dominic Yun, an eager beaver who just completed a journalism master’s program and is working at the station. Shay and Dominic do not get along at all.

When the station
Debra
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

This was an absolute joy from cover to cover.

Shay Goldstein has been a producer for Pacific Public radio for 10 years. Dominic Yun is a new hire, with a master’s in journalism, he thinks he knows everything about public radio. Naturally, this rubs Shay the wrong way. During a staff meeting Shay throws out an idea for a new show - a show where ex's give relationship advice. Their boss loves the idea. He also thinks Shay and Dominic would be perfect together on the air, posing as exes. T
mina reads™️
May 19, 2021 rated it it was ok
The Ex Talk is an interesting twist on the fake dating trope as we follow two co-workers, Dominic and Shay, who don't like each other but have to pretend to be exes for the sake of a new segment they're starting on their radio show. I will admit that Dominic and Shay's banter was quite fun, the writing was really easy to get into and I had an enjoyable time with the story but I have to say that Shay's character left alot to be desired. In the beginning of the story she absolutely hates Dominic a ...more
Terrie Robinson
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Terrie by: Goodreads Giveaways
"The Ex Talk" by Rachel Lynn Solomon is a sweet-sexy-hot Rom-Com!

Shay Goldstein isn't new to Pacific Public Radio in Seattle but Dominic Yun is! Shay's been a producer at PPR for 10 years. Dominic is the newest hire, has a masters degree in journalism and knows everything about public radio. EVERYTHING! Ask him, he'll tell you!

Dominic rubs Shay in all the wrong ways! The way he leans in a doorway, the way he dresses, the way he pushes his sleeves up to his elbow and exposes his forearms. Doesn'
Mary Skinner
Jan 31, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
TRULY a fun little delight! Reading The Ex Talk made me feel the exact same way that watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days / 13 Going on 30 makes me feel.

This is romcom material - there are moments of substance, but it’s never heavy; there are two spicy scenes, but they don’t overpower the verbal chemistry of the main characters; there are mishaps and miscommunications that don’t feel contrived or easily avoided; there’s an easy villain…

I really enjoyed this book and I WISH it was a movie.

Cont
Jessica
May 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
TW for grief and loss of a loved one

When I picked up this audiobook, it was just the romance I needed at the time and I ended up absolutely loving it! Shay has always dreamed about working in radio ever since she was a little girl and would listen to NPR with her dad. Her dad passed away when she was 18 and Shay took it hard, but she ended up working in radio and loves her job. Except for the new hire, Dominic. He walks around like he owns the place and the boss loves him. When Shay's job is at
Susanne
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Review also published on blog: https://books-are-a-girls-best-friend...

Desperate times call for Extremely Desperate Measures!

That means Faking It.

Shay Goldstein and Dominic Yun work at Pacific Public Radio. Shay has been a Producer for 10 years, and Dominic is a Journalist. When news that their station is about to go under hits, Shay comes up with an idea for a new show she refers to as “The Ex Talk.” Ex’s who are now friends and give relationship advice on air. Her boss however, has an even b
Chelsea
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Man, was I invested in this! I adore Dom and Shay so much!! I wasn’t expecting this to be top tier romance but it’s up there now!
Rincey
Mar 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Pretty rude of Solomon to just put my thoughts in a book for the entire world to read
Corina
Many years ago all I listened to was NPR. It kept me sane and informed on my commute to work. And over the years I got to know the hosts, the different programs and most of all the pledge drives.

Reading The Ex Talk was almost like a trip into the past. I loved the focus on radio. It’s just not a typical topic in romance, and I really enjoyed how much of radio work the author included in this book. The book was spot on in regards to names, programs and my feelings towards pledge drives, lol.

I wou
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The Ex Talk
Series: Standalone
Author: Rachel Lynn Solomon
Release date: January 26, 2020
Cliffhanger: no
Genre: contemporary romance

I really wanted to love this book and based on the rave reviews I thought my odds were promising. Unfortunately I struggled to find things I even liked about it, let alone loved. The fake relationship trope is common in romance and has worked for me on occasion in the past. In this case the way it was applied in the plot was gross-irredeemably gross. The story c
Christy

I was so ready for this workplace/enemies to lovers romance. These troupes are some of my favorites and I loved the synopsis of this one. Shay and Dominic were great together and I really felt their chemistry. I didn't love the premise of the show they had, but them together I loved. It was a solid 4-4.5 star read for me up until the last 20-25%. I didn't love the conflict... but the ending was satisfying. Overall I liked this one and I would definitely check out more from this author!
Tina
Aoife - Bookish_Babbling
I am most likely going to be in the minority here & I really hope this book will work better for you than it did for me 🤞
If you're looking for a steamy enemies to lovers this should ✔ the boxes for you 😆

Unfortunately I really didn't warm to the heroine and that's sadly kind of a deal breaker to enjoy a romcom told from her PoV 🤷‍♀️
I'm not sure what the H saw in her and was not overly impressed with how she behaves towards her mam & bff - she strikes me as more immature than the H which was odd a
DeAnn
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, library-reads
4 radio stars

As a huge fan of public radio, this one was a fun read! A lighter romantic comedy, but I did enjoy the two characters and I definitely related to Shay. She’s been on the job at a Seattle public radio station for ten years, but people hired after her are leaping ahead faster than her. And the new reporter Dominic Yun is obnoxious and annoying, bragging about his master’s degree in journalism from Northwestern!

Shay has been a producer, but secretly yearns to be on the air. Little does
;3
the way this book just reminded me that i DO, in fact, enjoy romance

• The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke, #2)
  • The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1)
  • The Book of Jane
  • Jane Anonymous (Jane Anonymous #1)
  • Who’s That Girl?
  • The Last Dogs
  • Foul Is Fair
  • The Nature of Witches
  • Love From A to Z
  • Howl’s Moving Castle (Howl’s Moving Castle, #1)
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • Remember Me?
  • Once More with Chutzpah
  • The Benefits of Being an Octopus
See top shelves…
Rachel Lynn Solomon writes about imperfect people falling in love. She is the New York Times bestselling author of Today Tonight Tomorrow, See You Yesterday, The Ex Talk, and more. Originally from Seattle, she's currently navigating expat life with her husband in Amsterdam, where she can often be found exploring the city, collecting stationery, and working up the courage to knit her first sweater. ...more

Articles featuring this book

It's time for happily ever after! If you're looking for a story to pull at your heartstrings, satisfy your soul, and make you believe in true...
“The thing about losing someone is that it doesn’t happen just once. It happens every time you do something great you wish they could see, every time you’re stuck and you need advice. Every time you fail. It erodes your sense of normal, and what grows back is decidedly not normal, and yet you still have to figure out how to trudge forward.” 39 likes
“What would a mediocre white man do?” she asks.” 13 likes