Start by marking “Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams” as Want to Read:
Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams

Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams

(A Mike Cohn Signature Book)

Testing is a key component of agile development. The widespread adoption of agile methods has brought the need for effective testing into the limelight, and agile projects have transformed the role of testers. Much of a tester's function, however, remains largely misunderstood. What is the true role of a tester? Do agile teams actually need members with QA backgrounds? Wha ...more
Published January 9th 2009 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 2008)

Aleksander
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Agile testing is a useful book, a decent introduction to somewhat neglected aspect of agile software development. It is also a book that could have benefitted from a sharper focus and more editing.

There are plenty of books on agile for project managers and programmers, testers are not so fortunate. Strange when you think about it. Testing is more profoundly affected than programming. Good programmers have been doing programming and unit and integration testing in parallel for ages, since long be
Sergey
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I even don't know how to evaluate this book. One the hand I made about 20 notes, got some ideas and link to read from it, but on the other hand, in my mind, this book has too many useless explanations and stories that just blow you away from the main topic.
Several good ideas from this book:
- Shout-out box for the project
- Issue log might be your hidden feature log. Think about it.
- Pairing programmer and tester together for working on a feature
...
will not reveal the others :) just read this ~600
Beverly Ho
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good explanation on how it's like to be a tester in an Agile team. It also mention the potential challenges during Agile Transformation and the drag factors that can slower down a team from taking the full benefit of being Agile.

André Heijstek
Apr 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: agile, engineering, it
Far too many motherhood statements and far too little actionable advice.
Boris
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book would benefit from reediting in an attempt to make it more to the point with less text.
Kevin Van Slyke
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent read for a first time tester or someone who migrated from support into product development. Will be recommending a selection of chapters as must read material for new team members.

Chapters 18 & 20 provide a great overview of the entire development process for a new tester.

Chapters 1-5 address very real culture issues around testing and how to transition into a healthier place.

Chapters 14-18 are the real meat of this book with lots of real examples of projects and interactions betwe
Nathalie Karasek
The most important take away for me are the 4 Quadrant overview and the tips and tricks that come from practice. I expected something way more technical but it reads quite easily and is suitable for non tech readers. I felt that some concepts have been repeated ovher and over again which was pretty annoying to me. I would have preferred a more focused and to the point style. Still a book to recommend.
Leandro Melendez
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Muy bueno y muy descriptivo de todo pormenor del testing en Agile. Tan extenso que a ratos estuve tentado a darle solo 4 estrellas pudiendo haber sido un poco mas resumido.

Aun asi, recomendable para cualquier tester que este por entrar en el mundo de los proyectos Agile, es un mundo de cambios desde el testing tradicional.
Jörn Dinkla
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: computer-science
This book is good, but a little bit old. Back then (2008) the authors presented a radical change of software testing and for me it would have been a 5/5. The book still contains some valuable insights today (2017). This book definitely needs a new and updated edition.
Chandan Khatwani
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book on agile testing. Must read for every tester involved in agile development.
Diana Pinchuk
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: testing
It was better than I expected. I thought it will be outdated and obvious, but it still has some useful tips and good description of agile approach at work
James Taylor
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
When my employer transitioned to use agile, we participated in agile training which consisted of an all-day lecture with provided notes, plus they joined in the “agile ceremonies” to lead the sessions and provide ideas.

There are some key ideas to agile which ensure quality throughout the process, and to provide small, incremental releases. Such ideas includes automation, test-driven development, flexible roles and more. This book does contain this information with examples of the author's (Lisa
Mayoo
i wanna ebook
Edward
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
A nice addition to agile literature that focuses on testing aspects of an agile project. The authors emphasize how testing on an agile project should be quite a different and much more collaborative experience than what most "manual" testers experience on traditional "waterfall" projects. The authors break down testing into four types: Supports Team, Business Facing, Tech Facing and Critique Product. From here they create four quadrants.

Q1: Tech Facing tests that Support the Team: these are most
Gloria
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read the book since it was recommended reading from the Project Management Institute. This books is a real resource of information on testing. The book helps to understand how not to backload projects so that testing is done at the very last minute. I not only like the book, but I think Lisa and Janet are really experts and I now follow everything they say on testing.

I am not a testing specialist. I manage projects. The number one challenge in Information Technology (IT) projects is to deliver
Miguel
May 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Should have been called

"Agile development from a tester's perspective"

Really didn't like this book. For the thickness, I was expecting a book about how to test in an Agile project, instead it focused more on how to work in general in an agile project.

Reviews on Amazon said this book was a bit outdated and the new version "More Agile Testing" mentions that the views they had are outdated in this book, but I figure I'd get some nuggets of knowledge.

Only part I can take with me for the future is
Steve Whiting
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very good book on blending testing activities and roles into an agile development team. The content is mostly excellent, but with perhaps a tad more generic descrriptions of agile methodology than really necessary. I did find a couple of aspects of the style a bit wearing: 1) the unending Lisa's story/Janet's story examples which I guess were named that way in conscious echo of agile terminology, but which I found really twee and largely unhelpful ("Lisa did x and then everything was perfect!" ...more
Christophe Addinquy
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tests, agile
This is what we call a strong book, with about 500 pages. At that time there wasn't so much book for testing in agile projects, while it's an utmost important subject. The good new is : this book really try to tackle the different kind of tests, using Brian Marick's quadrants as a roadmap. Unfortunately, the text is far from synthetic, even loosing the reader in the process. The size of the book is also a consequence of the stories the authors gave us all along. It was a fine idea, but the reali ...more
Trung Thieu
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is quite an informative book.

This is the second time that I've read the book. The feeling is not as good as the first time. This time I feel that the book should be 50% shorter because many messages keep repeating again an again.
It may be the book itself, or it may be myself. After some more years of experience maybe I prefer something more concise, or maybe I'm just more practical and biased compared to 3 years ago.

Still highly recommend it for anyone practicing Agile Development. I think
Marc Udoff
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't work in or think much about an true agile environment, but I found this book had some good guidelines for thinking about testing. Most importantly was its four agile testing quadrants (Business facing vs. technology facing and supporting the team vs. supporting the business). That being said, overall it was way too long and fluffy and geared towards someone in less technical role whose job it is to manage “business facing tests”. It did have a lot of good points about approaches (like au ...more
Philip
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
The target audience for this book seems to be: software testers with a background that's not in an agile environment. Since I am working in an agile environment, but only partially as a tester, this book didn't fully resonate with me.

Also, I was kinda annoyed that the tester was portrayed as the center point in about everything that the team does. While I get that testing isn't just something that you do after development, I think this aspect was over-stressed and belittled the roles of other pe
Oleksandr Molodetskyi
The book is really valuable and contains much useful information. But it is overloaded with information and also there is lot of text which wasn't necessary and just makes the book bigger and hard to read. That's why it's hard to keep focus and do not lost in all this information. May be it would be better to create several separated books if authors wanted to put so much or make the book more focused on the most important stuff.
Agile Kindergarten
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pragmatic and meaty, this tome provides the QA professional with multiple and nuanced perspectives on what it means to be a Tester. Honestly, it's too much to absorb all at once. This is a book you have to read in stages. From Acceptance-Test Driven Development for coding to Test Driven Design for architecting, Crispin & Gregory provide practical advice and readable examples how to transform your QA Team into an Agile Team.
gramakri
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very significant contribution to agile literature which educates programmers and testers as well as their managers on how to appreciate one another's work and collaboratively work towards integrating testing activities as a part and parcel of an agile process.

Read an extended summary of this book at
Chris
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Across the SCRUM discipline, I think a team coming from a waterfall background struggles most adapting to agile testing principles. 'Agile Testing' offers a great introduction to team on how to start incorporating new paradigm-shifting practices into their releases. As always, the Cohn book series on SCRUM delivers great value.
Mark Wheeler
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this book as the project I was working on was moving into an intense testing phase with a growing team of testers. There was also a need to report test status to a high profile customer.
This book gave me the knowledge and confidence to lead the test team and deliver appropriate test status information to my customer.
Ronald Rajagukguk
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
quite usefull as a guideline for tester who want to applies the agile principle in their day to day job. This book is not too technical and gave a lot of real world example on how the tester can involve in the agile team.
Melvin
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: agile
This is book is too shallow. The key ideas in this book would take no more than half of the pages in the book. A great deal of the content is basically generic agile development ideas you could find better explained in other books.
Robert Chapman
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
This book does an excellent job of describing the real requirements of a successful Agile process. It covered a lot of Agile in general, but had a very tight focus on Agile as it relates to testing as well.

All around great book, I recommend it.
Joel Liriano
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
This is exactly where to start for anything related to testing in Agile teams. It's a great guide that I keep coming back to for reference under different circumstances. Definitely a must have for any Agile team and software QAs.
How retain millennial engineers with the help of agile? 1 2 Sep 15, 2016 03:30AM
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • The Art of Agile Development
  • Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach
  • Perfect Software--And Other Illusions about Testing
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Agile Software Development
  • How to Break Software: A Practical Guide to Testing
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Explore It!: Reduce Risk and Increase Confidence with Exploratory Testing
  • Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products (Agile Software Development Series)
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

A Mike Cohn Signature Book (9 books)
  • The Scrum Field Guide: Practical Advice for Your First Year