Start by marking “Ashes and Blood” as Want to Read:
Ashes and Blood

Ashes and Blood

(Dalya #1)

“I’ll start at the beginning. Long ago, before roads, before we built structures, before medicine was discovered, before the government was created, before man gained any knowledge, there were The Five. Independent from each other, The Five had a mutual respect for one another. They knew their roles in the world and their duty. They were gods…”

An adventure begins when an o
Published May 13th 2020 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Ashes and Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashes and Blood

Start your review of Ashes and Blood
Sherry Fundin
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was first drawn to Ashes and Blood by Katie Zaber when I saw the cover. I love trees, whether real or fantasy.

What would you do if you are ambling along a familiar trail, and all of a sudden, you find a tree that was never there before? I think I would run, but before they can decide to do the same, things begin to change with every step they take and they are whisked away, into another world.

Sarah, Dana, Ciara and Megan are in for the time of their lives and I am along for the ride. Katie Zab
Rebecca | Velvet Opus
An imaginative portal fantasy that falls short on its execution.

I adore portal fantasy: from magic doors to books. Worlds that are a portal away fill me with pure undulated excitement. From The Ten Thousand Doors of January to The Chalice and the Crown and everything in between. I was delighted to stumble across Ashes and Blood promising an otherworldly tree transporting four teen girls to an exotic other planet, fae and magic.

I could see the potential of the story, but, sadly, this boo
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, newadult
Ashes and Blood is the first book in the Dalya series and it starts off with a very weird tree! Even though this book is listed as New Adult I still, somehow, managed to convince myself it was Young Adult. So it was a bit of a shock when I read about them drinking and swearing. Still, it was my error and one I quickly got over as I immersed myself in their adventure.

The details in this story are simply amazing. The descriptions given help the reader to see every tree, person, and situation so cl
Alexandra
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, new-adult
I don't usually write reviews because I'm terrible at writing them, but this book is new and I think it deserves one. I was pleasantly surprised when I came across this novel, I couldn't put it down until I finished it. The author did an amazing job of writing a character that is strong, but also has human reactions to the events that happen in her life. The pacing of this book was perfect, I never felt as though the author wanted to rush any part of the story nor did she drag it out either.

I a
Kathy
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Katie Zaber seems so good at painting a picture. Not just of the setting of her book but of her characters too. This is a fantasy (not my chosen genre) and it fits the description…odd characters, Fae kings, faeries, humanoids and yet… there is an underlying modern story. One with emotion, betrayal, fears. All the pieces of an adventure. A modern story in a well-painted and described fantasy story. Who would have thought it could flow and read so well.

I must admit I did think there were a lot of
Meaghan Hurn
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ashes and Blood is a fantastic read that completely draws you in. While reading it I forgot the words on the page and instead saw everything plan out in my head. Honestly, that's the best compliment an author can get!

Katie Zaber has done an excellent job building the worlds around Megan and her friends. While I'm typically hesitant to reading anything with "Fae" or "Faeries" because it's so over done; I found myself really enjoying them in this story.

It only took me two sittings to read, Ashes a
Nicole Fall
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I find the synopsis for this book does not do it justice - the storyline is a complicated maze of heres and theres, whats and whys, betrayals and secrets. There is an ever-changing narrative that happens in such a fluid way - it's hard to explain but thoroughly enjoyable - there is just so much more to the story then the synopsis leads you to believe. The author does an absolutely exquisite job of painting the picture of another world. Her descriptive writing style truly allows the reader to fee ...more
Dschaper54
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

This story hooked me from the first page. The authors use of imagery was phenomenal giving me the illusion of being right there with the characters, taking a wrong turn and finding myself in a place I could only imagine. The plot kept my interest and the characters were interesting and gave a fresh look at the fae. I loved this book.
Deb
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I chose to read this book because of the premise and the intriguing blurb supplied by the author. And the author delivered on that premise. The intricacies within the story were fascinating. The way the author wove the various emotions and actions of the characters drew me in and I didn’t want to leave. Great storytelling
Eileen Weisz
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Impressive first outing

As a voracious reader I love when I find a new series to be excited about. Katie Zaber drew me right in with her very descriptive style, a delightful mix of fantasy and the fierce emotion of betrayal. I look forward to more books by this talented young author.

Medea
Louise James
Darlene Owen
Mood Reader
May 27, 2020

• All the World's Colors (The Queen of the Blue #1)
  • The Other Man (Rose Gold #1)
  • The Lost Vampire Prince (Evil Rising #1)
  • Remedial Rocket Science (Chemistry Lessons, #1)
  • Hide and Seek
  • The Selfish Gene
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • A People's History of the United States
  • The No-Zone: A Post-Apocalyptic Anthology (After Skirmish #0.5)
  • The Gilded King (Sovereign, #1)
  • Kings and Queens
  • Captured
  • Chaos at Prescott High (The Havoc Boys, #2)
  • Larceny at the Library (A Washington Whodunit #6)
  • Mayhem At Prescott High (The Havoc Boys, #3)
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • Blue Magnolia (Red Farlow Mysteries, #2)
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
Katie Zaber is originally from Southern New Jersey. Her childhood home is just minutes from the Long Beach Island Bridge. When not writing, Katie can be found at wine tastings, sun bathing at the beach, going for hikes, screaming at Six Flags, reading, or in her favorite place, her kitchen, baking desserts and breads. She currently lives in Morris County, New Jersey with her boyfriend.

Dalya (2 books)