Start by marking “A Curse of Mayhem (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Curse of Mayhem (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #2)

A Curse of Mayhem

(Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions #2)

Librarian note: An older edition of this ASIN can be found here: 15-Jul-2019.

History, like magic, has a habit of repeating itselfIt’s been six months since thirteen-year-old Alyssa McCarthy left magic behind for good. Or so she thought…

Then the enchanted objects that protected her disappear. Now a skeleton named Errol has cursed her with magical powers that keep getting he
Published February 15th 2020 by Amazon.com Services LLC (first published February 20th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Curse of Mayhem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Curse of Mayhem

Start your review of A Curse of Mayhem (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #2)
Jypsy
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Iread and the author for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

The Curse of Mayhem(aka The Unruly Curse)
Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions: Book 2
By: Sunayna Prasad

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆
The Curse of Mayhem follows six months after The Frights of Fiji. Alyssa, age thirteen, is done with magic. On the plus side, she no longer resides with evil Master Beau, rather with someone much nicer, Alex. Then, magic suddenly reappears in Alyssa's life, alo
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

In A Curse of Mayhem we meet Alyssa from book one, the young girl that had magical powers that really didn’t  want them. Alyssa is now living in a new town, and she keeps things in her room that will keep the magic away from her but she awakes one morning to find a Welcome back to Magic sign and her things all gone. Join Alyssa and the rest of the gang on another coming of age journey that will keep you on your toes until the end.

Author Sunayna Prasad writes another intr
Achu  VR
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa McCarthy and her magic again and we can say this one is the best. I received the books thru Goodreads Giveaway and completed the same on the same day.Over all the book is written with a superb flow and easy to read. This book speaks about how Alyssa has established her life with her godfather Alex. She wakes up suddenly with magical powers but the only problem is she is not able to control them. A great story well written. The writers imagination is well appreciated.
Lindsay
A Curse of Mayhem is the second book of the series of Alyssa McCarthy Magical Missions. It is good. I seem to start up once again with Alyssa doing magic. How does she get this magic of hers? This seems interesting that she doing this and her ordinary person.

Do we find that there this person named Errol? Does Alyssa need to do somethings to defeat Errol? What they are you find out as she struggles to control her magic. It seems that she gets herself into trouble. Will her mentors be able to help
books are love
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun and lighthearted. I love how knowledge is power here.

The story is a continuation from the first. Alyssa is now with her godfather Alex and they are going day to day discovering themselves and one another. Alex is a great guy his support and faith in Alyssa is awesome. It helps show her that there is always someone in her corner no matter what. the other ones are her friends. They stick by her and help her become more confident and gain courage. They are there through thick and thin.
Wendy Unsworth
Alyssa is back for another adventure in a world where magic exists and she is cursed with it. The curse is that she is unable to control her magical abilities and is soon in trouble wherever she goes.
I read the first book in this series and my feelings for this book are much the same. The author has a lovely and vivid imagination. Her young protagonist faces strange creatures and other perils while trying to maintain a very ordinary school life with the usual issues; friends, home life, deadlin
cindy
Apr 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Overall Rating: 3 stars
Critical Rating: 2 stars
Review coming soon! :-)
Bonnie  Wright
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 in the series immediately delves into the action. Alyssa wakes up to find that a skeleton has placed a curse on her. She spontaneously performs magic. Worse yet, most people believe her witchcraft to be her fault. The book takes an interesting spin on other wizardly books. Instead of only focusing on only life or death situations, Alyssa has other problems as well. Problems that perhaps any student can relate to: feeling isolated, being blamed for something that isn't her fault, suspensio ...more
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
A Curse of Mayhem was a wonderful next book in the Alyssa McCarthy’s Magical Missions series! This is a middle-grade fantasy story filled with magic and adventure!

The story begins six months after the end of the first book, The Frights of Fiji. 13-year-old Alyssa is living with Alex, someone who supports her and believes in her, which is such a nice change from her uncle in book 1. She has put magic behind her…or so she thought. But then, she is cursed by a skeleton named Errol. The curse causes
NicCole
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the adventures continue long after big changes that happened in one’s life. Many of us try to start their lives over because their old life wasn’t cutting it. Moving, changing your environment, making new friends, getting a new job, etc. are just some of the things that can make life seem different. Oddly enough, the past always has a funny way of showing face and haunting you, despite all the steps you took to rid yourself of it. One of the worst things to experience is having others conside ...more
Ezela Salazar
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Alyssa McCarthy! Although I had not read the first book in the series, it was clear to see in Book 2 that magic and wizardry were frustrating to have as a teenage girl in a normal world. The support systems and special schools one might find in other fantasy worlds is notably absent here and helps the reader understand how misunderstood Alyssa feels. I agree with the other reviews on this book that the writing style occasionally feels forced, with a few unnecessary descriptors and adjective ...more
Marilyn R.
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Book 2 in Sunayna Prasad's Alyssa McCarthy's fantasy series finds Alyssa living with her godfather in a new city with new friends. There is no travel to magical places this time, the story line stays mostly near home. Again someone from the magical world wishes her harm to gain something for themselves. This time it involves magic coming through her with little control which causes her extreme trouble, especially at school where she faces expulsion unless she can find a way to stop it.

In book 2
Ahlam Abdullatif
Another adventure for Alyssa McCarthy, and the best yet. Wizardry Goes Wild is a following of how Alyssa has established her life with her godfather Alex. She's made close friends who she confines in, starts a new school, and keeps a close bond with her godfather.
Everything seems to be going great for her after living a very hard life; from her parents death, to living with her strict uncle, and finally, being hunted down by an evil wizard. Until suddenly she wakes up one day to find herself wi
Stephanie Ward
Alyssa McCarthy finds herself living with her godfather and navigating a whole new environment -- new house, new school, new friends. The last thing she wants is magic shooting out of her hands in class, at parties or during cheerleading practice. But that's exactly what happens. Try as she may, Alyssa can't seem to control the magic and as a result, gets in trouble at every turn. Truly, a curse of mayhem.

Meanwhile, the evil wizard Errol, now only a skeleton, converses with the soul of Master Be
Karen
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story for preteen girls. Not only does is have supernatural aspects to keep the reader engaged but it also has an underlying lesson about confidence and bravery and being your own hero. I will admit I did not immediately fall in love with the main character. At first I found her whiny. However I had to remind myself this is a juvenile book and the character is targeted towards that audience. Once the story got going and the main character began to find herself however she became ...more
Amy
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Curse of Mayhem continues Sunayna Prasad’s series, Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions. I enjoyed the first book in the series, The Frights of Fiji, but I enjoyed this one so much more. Since it is part of a series, I believe it would be best to start with one book one. I am so glad I did so. This is one of those stories I do not want to miss out on anything that had in a previous book.
Once again, readers catch up with Alyssa and go on quite the journey in A Curse of Mayhem. Like in The Frights
Brian Adee
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though second in a series, "Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions 2" reads well as a stand-alone without making the reader feel lost. So, though book 1 may be a useful preamble, book 2 stands on its own merits easily!

The "magical teenager" genere is a popular one, and this book is a worthwhile addition to the crew. Deftly combining humor and an imminently relatable plot for any pre-teen to follow. Walking in the steps of Harry Potter and the like, magic is used as a device through which to explore
Cheryl Malandrinos
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
The second book of the Magical Missions series opens with a startling revelation. This swift-moving plot encourages the reader to turn the pages. Filled with magic, chaos, and a bit of humor, A Curse of Mayhem is an exciting story with a protagonist middle-grade and teen readers will relate well to. The underlying message of increasing your bravery and confidence is nicely woven in.

This reader found challenges with the choppy dialogue and how totally unsympathetic the adults acted. A top-notch e
Claire Fraser
Although I really liked the story of Alyssa and her struggles with wizardry, the stilted, clumsy writing and awkward phrasing made it quite a chore to read at times. The word ‘respire’ made a lot of appearances with my favourite being ‘she respired through her teeth’. The book is aimed at quite a young age group and I wonder if the writing would put them off, which would be a shame. The author is still quite young and hopefully will hone her craft by continuing to write. She shows great imaginat ...more
Tashfin Awal
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways and have chosen to give my honest opinion about it.
It was definitely a quirky story that I enjoyed a lot. And it was a quick read so that's always nice. The characters were funny, although they could use a little bit more development. Also, the plot holes kept me from truly grasping the basis of this novel. Still, it was an interesting read with a premise that is quite unique.
Sasha
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First I would like to state that I received this book through the Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank the author for giving me this opportunity and honor in being able to read this book. When I received this book I began reading it at once. I really enjoy the authors writing style. You are pulled into the book from the very beginning and you don't want to put the book down. It kept me on the edge of my seat reading from cover to cover.
Ever Leigh
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great cast of characters, I felt like I got to know all of them very well.

I liked how this Fantasy novel managed to be fresh and exciting and wasn't too overly predictable. I saw a few things coming, but was definitely surprised at points too.

This is a continuation of the journey with these characters and I think is well done and I can't wait to see what we find out next!
Terry Sprouse
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is story provides much entertainment, as we follow the further adventures of 13-year-old Alyssa Mccarthy and her magical exploits. This book should be a treat for the teenage reader, as well for those of us who just like the world of fantasy and wizards. If you like fantasy adventure, you will like this book.
Rozita Berry
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Frozen" meets "Hellraiser"...for kids

13-year-old Alyssa has magic powers she can't control, and there's a centuries-old skeleton who wants his body back, and she's the only one who can flesh him out. Not exactly sure why. Maybe if I'd read the previous book, it might give me a few clues. Still, this book is nicely done and young teens and tweens who dig fantasy should enjoy it. Recommended.
Sarah Coleman
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story very much so. It had a well-thought out premise with plenty of extremely interesting characters. The main character was increasingly fascinating and I never found myself wanting to quit reading the story. I finished it all rather quickly and would definitely recommend this book to others wanting to try this author out.

Cheryl Malandrinos
Published as Wizardry Goes Wild in 2016 and The Unruly Curse in 2019, A Curse of Mayhem by Sunayna Prasad continues the adventures of thirteen-year-old Alyssa after her return from Fiji. Now cared for by her godfather Alex, Alyssa lives the life of a normal teenager. She has a great group of friends and has a crush on a classmate. Alex and Alyssa have a good relationship now that Uncle Bruce is out of the picture. Normal flies out the window, however, as soon as Alyssa discovers her powers have ...more
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
This is my introduction to this author and her writing style. I must say, I am bit torn on what to rate this book. I thought the blurb had a unique idea and went about describing the story in an excellent way. However, I felt the story didn't sit as well with me as I would have liked.

A lot of the sentences and descriptions were overly done and complicated. Normally, I would sit this to the side and really dig into it, as I like detail. However, I felt this was a hang-up for this book, as it is
Seraphia
Alyssa McCarthy is back in The Unruly Curse and this book picks up where the first one left off. Six months have passed, Alyssa has had zero magic and she's been adjusting pretty well into her life with her godfather. Everything is about to change though and Alyssa is about to be dealing with a lot of chaos and confusion as her magic returns thanks to a dirty curse by a being who wishes to be human again, because when he was returned to life the spell wasn't exactly complete so he can't live the ...more
JenniferJ
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get to read the first book of the series but I don't think you really have to read it to enjoy this one. Here we have young Alyssa who desperately just wants a normal life but it's kinda hard when magic keeps literally knocking on her door. She tries so hard to turn her back on it because contrary to what one would think it has brought her nothing but grief in her life and is always getting her into trouble in some way.

The story is fun and fantastical but yet still shows everyday proble
chelle reads
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel we’ve all been waiting for is here! And my thoughts?
Well, it wasn’t as bad or as good as the first book launched in this series. Personally, I think this book goes on average on the children’s fiction list. We learn new information about our characters and we get some more interesting problems to face. We’re back to the same bad guy as before, but that’s okay! We just need to make history doesn’t repeat itself — it did.
I think young readers will like this wholehearted plot twist. In

• The Devil and Dayna Dalton (Bulwark Anthology, #9)
  • Perils and Pearls: In World War II, a Family's Story of Survival and Freedom from Japanese Jungle Prison Camps
  • The Nutcracker Conspiracy (Thorny Rose #4)
  • Killer Deadline (Nikki Bryant)
  • GenTech: An American Story of Technology, Change and Who We Really Are (1900-present)
  • The Takeaway Men
  • Folly at the Fair (An Annie Oakley Mystery, #3)
  • The Knowing (Bulwark Anthology, #1)
  • Life in the Camel Lane: Embrace the Adventure
  • A Goddess Among Men
  • A Child Lost (Henrietta and Inspector Howard #5)
  • Bulwark
  • Spent Identity (Annalisse Series #2)
  • Yummy Me Feels So Good
  • Heart to Beat: A Cardiac Surgeon's Inspiring Story of Success and Overcoming Adversity--The Heart Way
  • Interdicted Space (Interstellar Enforcement Agency, #2)
  • Above the Star (The 8th Island Trilogy #1)
Sunayna Prasad has been writing stories for over several years, starting at the age of six. Now in her 20's, she is done with college and will continue to write for children. Aside from that, Sunayna also likes to cook, watch movies, and draw. She lives on Long Island, New York, with her family.

Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions (2 books)
  • The Frights of Fiji (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #1)