Start by marking “The Survivors” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  25,795 ratings  ·  3,411 reviews
10 hours, 30 minutes

The compelling new novel from Jane Harper, the New York Times bestselling author of The Dry.

Kieran Elliott's life changed forever on the day a reckless mistake led to devastating consequences.

The guilt that still haunts him resurfaces during a visit with his young family to the small coastal town he once called home.

Kieran's parents are struggling in a
Audiobook, 12 pages
Published February 2nd 2021 by Macmillan Audio (first published September 22nd 2020)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Feb 02, 2021
    Enter for a chance to win one of ten copies of the instant New York Times bestseller, The Survivors, by Jane Harper

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 36 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 24 - Mar 04, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Survivors, please sign up.
    Beverley It took me a good third of the book before I got into it. I felt there was a lot of 'padding' and blatant, rather obvious red herrings. Towards the en…moreIt took me a good third of the book before I got into it. I felt there was a lot of 'padding' and blatant, rather obvious red herrings. Towards the end I started to find it gripping but there was something about the ending that left me feeling kind of flat.(less)
    Brittni This explains why the library rejected my materials request as "not published in USA yet". :(…moreThis explains why the library rejected my materials request as "not published in USA yet". :((less)

·  25,795 ratings  ·  3,411 reviews

Start your review of The Survivors
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    My fourth waltz with the author! She did it again! She did so much better this time! Rocked my world, broke my heart, made me fell in love with her beautiful writing and meticulously crafted characters one more time!

A murder of young art student threatened the cocooned safety of coastal town by bringing out buried secrets, lies, guilt, injustice, wrong punishments, regrets of the past related with the big storm which took away three people’s lives and traumatized their families’ lives forever!

W
    Chelsea Humphrey
    I’m certainly in the minority on this one, but I just didn’t feel that Jane Harper magic with THE SURVIVORS. The atmospheric atmosphere is wonderful, but I found the mystery at hand didn’t quite grip me like the others did. I also wish there had been an extended epilogue or something to give us more information involving a few details. Still a huge fan and will be looking forward to her next novel.
    Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)
    Dark, Heavy, and Tragic

“She could-almost-have been one of The Survivors.”

The Survivors
    is a character study centered around a murder linked to a mystery of the past.

Evelyn Bay, a small coastal town in Tasmania, has seen its fair share of tragedy. 12 years ago, two young men were lost during a tragic accident at sea during a tumultuous storm, while at the same time, a teenage girl went missing never to be seen again. In the present, the man who is to blame for the accident at sea returns home
    Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
    ***HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY***

I am feeling both happy and sad. I’m happy that this new Jane Harper novel is every bit as good as her previous novels but sad that I will have to now wait for her next one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was a bit surprised that this book was set on the Tasmanian coast after reading The Dry and The Lost Man. I never knew I could see beauty in the Australian outback until I read those books. But Ms. Harper is a master of atmosphere and I quickly found myself caught up in the new setti
    MarilynW
    Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
    The Survivors audiobook, by Jane Harper, narrated by Stephen Shanahan

MarilynW
    Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The Survivors by Jane Harper

Thirty year old Kieran Elliott and his girlfriend, Mia, have returned to their coastal hometown, Evelyn Bay, to help Kieran's mother pack so that his father can be moved to a long term dementia residence. Twelve years ago, Evelyn Bay was the site of a sudden devastating storm that took lives, destroyed property, and caused untold psychological damage to numerous residents. Now, on the heels of Keiran and Mia's return to the town, a young woman's body is found on the b
    Farrah
    Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    4 bright and shining ⭐ for my first Jane Harper novel!!

This woman 𝙨𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙤𝙪𝙨𝙡𝙮 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬𝙨 𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙩𝙤 𝙬𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙚

𝘛𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘷𝘦 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘢𝘨𝘰 𝘒𝘪𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘯'𝘴 𝘵𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵-𝘬𝘯𝘪𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘭 𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘥𝘦𝘷𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘢 𝘭𝘢𝘳𝘨𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘮 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘥 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘭𝘺 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘦𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦𝘴.
    𝘕𝘰𝘸 𝘩𝘦'𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯𝘦𝘥, 𝘵𝘰 𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘱 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴, 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 a 𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺 𝘪𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘶𝘳𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩.

This is a slow (and I mean slooowwww) burn, character driven mystery.

For me the best thing about this book is how realistic the characters are. Their actions and dialog are genuine and relatable. I
    Carolyn
    In her new novel Jane Harper has taken us away from the hot dry interior or wild rugged ranges of her previous books to a small coastal town on the southern coast of Tasmania. Evelyn Bay is the type of seaside town fondly remembered by many Australians for family summer holidays of endless hot, sunny days playing on a sandy beach beneath a perfectly blue sky. A town swamped by holidaymakers in summer that breathes a sigh of relief as autumn rolls in and the locals hunker down to wait out the off ...more
    Emily May
    Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Even 2020 can't dampen Jane Harper's fire! Yet another atmospheric thriller from a recently-acquired fave of mine.

And I'm not just throwing "atmospheric" around because I think it sounds good. This is what makes Jane Harper's books so good for me, and it was the same with The Dry, Force of Nature and The Lost Man. Her settings are almost alive; almost characters in their own right. Here, the author takes us to the little coastal town of Evelyn Bay in Tasmania, and I swear I could feel the salt s
    Paromjit
    Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Once again Jane Harper showcases her ability to atmospherically evoke the faultlines in a small community, this time in the coastal town of Evelyn Bay in Tasmania. In this character driven, slow burn of a mystery, Kieron Elliot, a sports physiotherapist, returns home to help his mother, Verity, help pack up their home in preparation for his dementia suffering father, Brian, to move into a care home. Kieron never came back after tragedy struck 12 years ago during a savage and devastating storm in ...more
    Richard
    Jan 29, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: thrillers-wd
    When a body is found on the beach, the residents of Evelyn Bay, Tasmania, are deeply shocked, but there is a sense of deja vu. Minds are inevitably drawn to a similar death twelve years earlier and to the freak storm that preceded it - a storm that devastated the community and ripped apart several families.
    Kieran and Mia return to this small seaside resort with their baby daughter, years after leaving to pursue their careers in Sydney. They are visiting Kieran’s parents who are dealing with the
    Krystal
    Maybe it's me.

Maybe I'm just not feeling crime novels like I used to.
    Maybe I've been too spoiled lately with unique stories.
    Maybe too much reading has left me jaded.

Whatever the reason, I found this frustrating and slow and ultimately disappointing.

Setup: A whole bunch of secrets in a small Tasmanian coastal town, and Kieran digging through the past while we all try to work out who's responsible for the recent death of a girl.

The Good Bits

The Setting
    I can't argue about Jane Harper's ability
    Phrynne
    Sep 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 5000-2020
    An interesting, well written book but The Survivors did not grab me the way her earlier books have done.

I think it was maybe the lack of tension. Someone in the town was obviously the murderer but eventually they would get caught and that would be that. There were red herrings aplenty but I was pretty sure who it was not going to be so I could relax and enjoy the descriptions of beautiful Tasmania and those cold, cold waves lapping onto the beach and into the caves.

I did get nervous occasionally
    Michael David
    Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    January BOTM selection.

A slow burn mystery that is just oozing with atmosphere.

Kieran returns to the small Australian town of Evelyn Bay to help his mother and father move out of his childhood home. He brings along his girlfriend, Mia, and their baby daughter, Audrey. While Kieran has visited sporadically over the years, he’s never gotten over the storm 12 years prior.

On that unfortunately fateful day, a terrible storm rocked the community. As the storm raged, two people ended up dying, and a 1
    Liz
    Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley, audio
    I’ve enjoyed each of Jane Harper’s previous three books. And this one wins four stars from me, too. She shows her versatility here, moving from the inland to a small Tasmanian beach town. But her ability to give us a true sense of place is the same.
    Kieran has returned home with his young family to help his parents move. His father is suffering from early onset dementia. Kieran has been gone almost twelve years, since a bad decision on his part led to the death of his brother and friend during a
    Anne Bogel
    Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I think I have a new favorite Jane Harper book (edging out The Dry, which has held the honor since I first read it in 2017).

In this new mystery, Harper returns to the themes that worked so well in her debut: a man returns to his tiny hometown to find that neither the community nor his family have forgotten or forgiven his involvement in a past tragedy—and that's before a fresh crime brings painful memories raging back.

The atmosphere took this book from 4-star to 5-star read for me. Much of the
    Peter
    Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley, mystery, crime
    Echoes
    Jane Harper has cemented herself as a wonderful mystery crime writer, and her latest book The Survivors is a compelling story of grief, guilt and secrets that conceal the truth of events that rocked a community twelve years previously. Kieran Elliott has returned to Evelyn Bay, a small coastal town in Tasmania with his partner Mia and their daughter Audrey. Kieran has tortured himself since the day of the storm twelve years ago when his older brother, Finn and his friend, Toby died at sea
    Elyse  Walters
    Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This was my favorite Jane Harper book. I loved the setting, the atmospheric seaside town, *Evelyn Bay*, ( a popular beach shoreline during the height of summer holidays—but off season most people had left), in Tasmania, ( the story takes place during the off season with the locals), the character development, and the unfolding of the entire story.
    It had that movie panoramic visual going on.....
    Example.....
    “The sea swelled again, and this time the drag of the undertow was strong enough that he t
    Kaceey
    3.75*
    A tiny coastal town struggles with the past, when twelve years ago two young lives were lost at sea. And a third simply disappeared. Mystery and questions still linger surrounding their deaths.

Now the waters have claimed a new victim. Is it possible all these deaths could be tied together? Or maybe just pure coincidence?
    Once again, the community is forced to re-live and come to grips with yet another loss.

It’s during this time that Kieran and his wife Mia are making plans to return to thei
    Jayme
    Twelve years ago, in the small town of Evelyn Bay, Tasmania, two young men, Finn and Toby, lost their lives when their boat overturned in a violent storm.

On the same day, 14 year old Gabby disappeared.
    Her purple backpack filled with waterlogged library books will wash up on the shore two days later.

It had been the worst storm in eighty years.

At the very tip of the furthest rocks, jutting out from the caves to the sea, stood “The Survivors”-three life sized iron figures, which stood guard, side
    Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
    3.5 stars.

Chilling. Engrossing. Mysterious. Atmospheric.

Jane Harper knows how to write intensely atmospheric stories. She builds foreboding tension and suspense from the very start that keeps you captivated and hanging on until the very end. This book was no exception in that regard and it finished with a twisty, intense and unexpected ending which left me a satisfied reader.

The part that was lacking for me in this novel was the characters. I didn’t particularly like any of them which negatively
    Susanne  Strong
    Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Eerie, Atmospheric, and Taut.

Out at Sea, “The Survivors” can be seen off the caves; three life-size statues, standing guard facing the Mary Minerva which sank over a century ago.

In the newest novel by Jane Harper, the past and the preside collide for Kieran Elliott upon returning home to Evelyn Bay, Tasmania, a place he once called home.

A place he hasn’t returned to in a long time. For good reason. Kieran Elliott isn’t exactly welcome you see. Ten years prior, during one of the worst storms i
    Ceecee
    Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The Survivors is a sculpture in the sea by an old wreck and also those who survive a terrible storm over ten years ago including Kieran Elliott. His return home to Evelyn Bay in Tasmania opens up old wounds especially as more tragedy befalls the small coastal community.

This is a story of grief, guilt and blame which weighs heavily on people and this is depicted really well and at times, very movingly. As you would expect from Jane Harper this is extremely well written and is an excellent portra
    Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
    EXCERPT: She was lying on her side, lengthways along the beach with her back to the sea. Her arms were limp and her face was pressed against the sand. The careful highlights in her hair were dull and matted. Her baby-doll eyes were closed.

Kieran had a sudden flash of her, so different from this. Running through the spray after Audrey's hat, looking out at the sea and laughing in frustration.

ABOUT 'THE SURVIVORS': Kieran Elliott's life changed forever on the day a reckless mistake led to devast
    Blaine
    Thanks to NetGalley and Macmillan Publishers for sending me an ARC of The Survivors in exchange for an honest review.

The Survivors takes places in Evelyn Bay, a small coastal community in Tasmania. Twelve years ago, there was a sudden storm during which two men were killed and a girl disappeared. Those lives lost have haunted the residents of this town ever since, but none more so than Kieran Elliott, the younger brother of one of the dead. In the present, he returns home with his girlfriend, Mi
    Lori
    Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I have enjoyed several of Jane Harpers novels and was looking forward to reading this. While I enjoyed it, it didn’t live up to what I’ve come to expect from her. JH is a master when it comes to creating believable settings that completely immerse you and she does that again in this. There was something with the characters interactions with each other just felt off. The baby’s involvement was weird too. She was written/treated like an accessory. Pick up... put down... leave on beach... leave at ...more
    PattyMacDotComma
    “The waves were monstrous. He was tossed upward, then pulled so deep he couldn’t tell which way to fight for the surface. He didn’t know how long he was under. Long enough that his lungs were empty in a way he had never felt before. And then, suddenly, where there had been nothing but water, there was rock. Hard and brutal, it hurtled toward him with enough force to make his teeth rattle. When the water pulled back, Kieran was still chest down, his face slick against the solid surface.”

Tasmani
    Charlotte May
    More from Jane Harper! Come at me!!
    Debra
    Dec 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    Coming home, it should be a happy time, seeing family, reminiscing with old friends, going to old hangouts...…. But what if going home is a reminder of what you have lost, what you can never forget, what has haunted you, when others do not want you to forget.

Kieran Elliott, his girlfriend, Mia and their infant daughter, Audrey have returned to his hometown to help his mother pack up her home. His father is being moved to a home where he will receive proper treatment for his dementia and his moth
    Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
    Well Jane Harper knows how to write a crime book that hooks you right in from the very beginning. I had high expectations of The Survivors and happy to say that it lived up to them all. I lost track of Ike whilst reading this book, completely immersed in the pages and what was happening in Evelyn Bay. It was twisty, clever and full of atmosphere. Absolutely loved it.

Welcome to Evelyn Bay on the Tasmanian coast.. Kieran grew up here but left for a life in Sydney. Now he returns to help his mother

• Big Summer
    • Red at the Bone
    • If It Bleeds
    • The Honey-Don't List
    • Home Before Dark
    • Migrations
    • When No One is Watching
    • Betty
    • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
    • To Tell You the Truth
    • Trust (Martin Scarsden, #3)
    • A Traveler at the Gates of Wisdom
    • Scenes of a Graphic Nature
    • Crooked River (Pendergast, #19)
    • The Wife Upstairs
    • Piranesi
    • Don't Look for Me
    • Honeybee
    Jane Harper is the international bestselling author of The Dry, Force of Nature and The Lost Man.
    Jane is a New York Times and Sunday Times bestseller, and has won numerous top awards including the Australian Book Industry Awards Book of the Year, the Australian Indie Awards Book of the Year, the CWA Gold Dagger Award for Best Crime Novel, and the British Book Awards Crime and Thriller Book of the

Articles featuring this book

It's time to get in that last stretch of winter reading and prepare our Want to Read shelves for spring. Luckily for us, February brings a...
    “his” 0 likes
    “exhausted by everything. Tired of his studies, of friends that were no more than acquaintances, of the effort of opening his eyes every morning and shutting them every night. Of life in general. The fog had grown so thick, he’d become used to navigating his days half-blind.” 0 likes