Start by marking “If I Could Say Goodbye” as Want to Read:
If I Could Say Goodbye

If I Could Say Goodbye

A heart-warming and uplifting story about love, loss and finding the strength to say goodbye, from the author of The First Time I Saw You.

Published September 17th 2020 by Headline Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about If I Could Say Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Could Say Goodbye

Start your review of If I Could Say Goodbye
Michelle
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could say goodbye by Emma Cooper is the first book I have read from the author. So, I was intrigued to know what her writing style is like as, I have heard good things about the author.
Jennifer Jones and her husband Ed are a normal couple with two children. But when Jennifer’s younger sister and best friend Kerry dies after saving her from being hit by a car. Their whole world changes. Jennifer is racked with so much guilt that she can’t cope with her sister dying and wishes that she died i
Melanie Thomas
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
I've really enjoyed Emma Cooper's previous books - particularly The Songs of Us, which is one of my favourite ever books - so I went into this one with very high expectations. Perhaps that was a mistake as unfortunately it didn't quite live up to them.

I can't really put my finger on what it was about If I Could Say Goodbye that didn't work for me but I just didn't feel a connection with any of the characters and I didn't feel like a huge amount actually happened. Maybe I needed longer with the s
Lucy C
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have never read a book by Emma Cooper before, so was unsure what to expect.

This heartbreaking story deals with grief and how it turns your family upside down.

Truly well written by Emma, told by the POV from husband and wife Ed and Jennifer.

A powerful and emotional read but does still have the humour so it's not full of gloom.

Highly Reccomended you pick this one up.

Thank you Headline and netgalley for allowing me the opportunity to review this.
Emma Jackson
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emma Cooper writes with an innate and rare talent. I am bereft that I have finished this book and find myself wondering how they’re doing (the characters that is!)

This beautifully written piece had me immersed within Jen and Ed’s lives - I found myself completely invested in both sides of this heart breaking story rooting for all sides and being heart broken along the way for everyone involved.

Ed’s part really cements this book as one of my favourites, he is the perfect man (not in a Prince Char
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
This is a tale of grief, love and family life. It’s an absolutely stunning read, so beautifully and sensitively written, so emotive, so full of both sadness and joy , I’ve not laughed and cried so much in a long time. It’s not an easy read, it’s quite devastating at times as you go on Jens journey with her, the author deals with mental health so beautifully and sensitive , the importance of support and family is really well highlighted, it’s an amazing story, bring the tissues, but be ready to l ...more
Agi
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Jennifer’s younger sister Kerry dies in an accident, being hit by a car, saving Jen’s life at the same time. Jen’s whole world changes. She loved her sister so much, Kerry was her best friend, and now she’s gone. Jennifer is racked with survivor’s guilt and it nearly split her and her whole family’s lives apart. Will they manage to survive those dark moments?

The characters that Emma Cooper has created are absolutely brilliant, and not only the main ones, but also the children, Jen’s parents or
Jo Shaw
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr-owned
When I received this book from Headline I was so excited. Emma’s previous novel, The First Time I Saw You was emotional and one of my favourite books of the winter months, so I must admit I prepared myself to have my heartstrings firmly tugged by this book. It’s probably no secret to people who read my blog that I am a crier, I cry at the slightest thing in books particularly when I become completely involved in the story. This book, If I Could Say Goodbye, ticked my cry box, and boy did I cry! ...more
Emma Shaw
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If I Could Say Goodbye is a heartwarming exploration of grief, moving on and learning to live again after loss that also examines how mental health is affected by trauma, loss and guilt, this book was a surprising balm for my soul.

When Jen’s sister Kerry is killed after being hit by a car, she not only loses her sister, but her best friend too. The pair were inseparable. Her grief is further magnified by the guilt she feels as Kerry died after pushing her out of the way of the car. Jen feels she
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Em J
Jan 19, 2021 rated it liked it
This book is described as a heart warming and uplifting book about saying goodbye, its been described by others as a lighthearted look at grief. The story is told from the perspective of Jen, who loses her sister Kerry in an accident at the start of the book, and Jen's husband Ed - who battles to hold his family together in some way as his wife falls apart- not forgetting the other family who are punctuated throughout as the supporting cast.
Unfortunately I found this book to be quite slow paced
Tea Leaves and Reads
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think I only discovered Emma Cooper's books this year, or the latter end of last year, so I was delighted to be approved for an advanced copy of her latest book (coming September 2020). Emma Cooper has a real talent for writing books that tug at your heart strings and make you reach for the tissues and cry with laughter as well as sadness. This book was no exception.

I have to say, I'll always have a favourite of Emma's books, and this isn't it. But that's because her books will be four or five
Way_Word_Bibliophile
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Emma Cooper and it was a beautiful, poignant, heartbreaking novel. It is sensitive and a well written book. It's a grate story about family and mental health and is quite emotional. It did have humor to lighten the readers mood. I finished it in one sitting and didn't ever think I could like a book about grief but the way the Author has added light hearted moments kept me want to read more. It was paced well and kept me engaged. Its gave me so many feels and emotions...t ...more
Sara Oxton
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If I Could Say Goodbye by Emma Cooper an emotion wringing five-star read. This is my first read by this author but it wont be the last, oh my goodness I adored this story, I started it on a morning when I wasn’t feeling great and just wanted to hide away and this did just that, it sucked me into the pages and held me tightly until the last few pages. Grief affects us all differently the author showed great compassion and empathy when portraying how these characters grieved, I think that’s why I ...more
Debbie
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jennifer Jones' life began when her little sister, Kerry, was born. So when her sister dies in a tragic accident, nothing seems to make sense any more. But Jen has the support of her amazing husband, Ed, and their wonderful children and she begins to come out of the fog. But will that be enough when the memories of Kerry are all around?

While this one was very much about love and loss and grief, it was also uplifting and written beautifully with some unexpected humour. I loved Jen's relationship
Laura Jones
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
When Jen’s sister dies protecting her, Jen disappears down a spiral of guilt, shame and grief. Which not only impacts her life, but her husband and children’s lives too.

A book about grief and the loneliness of being left behind, make sure you read this with a box of tissues next to you.

TBHONEST
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If I Could Say Goodbye is a stunning and emotionally charged read, full of characters that make you feel as if you know them well. An absolutely fantastic read, that would be great for book clubs.
Rachael Fraser
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
A really good book about grief and the after affects it can have on people.
Ivana
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
Quite an interesting story and book. Speaking as somebody who lost sb. very important and close this year, it really makes you think about certain things and choices.

Jen James
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If I Could Say Goodbye is a story of grief. Not the usual story of the death of a spouse/partner, parent or child, but that of a younger sibling. The parents’ grief being secondary to Jen’s.

I’ll be honest, in the early stages the book didn’t grip me, my mind did wander. Please don’t let that put you off. I can’t remember at which point this changed, but very soon I was racing through the book, completely absorbed. Literally fitting in reading a few pages here and there, whenever I could, as wel
The Lotus Readers
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ciara Rosney
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Jones' life began when her little sister, Kerry, was born. So when her sister dies in a tragic accident, nothing seems to make sense anymore. Despite the support of her husband, Ed, and their wonderful children, Jen can't comprehend why she is still here, while bright, spirited Kerry is not. When Jen starts to lose herself in her memories of Kerry, she doesn't realise that the closer she feels to Kerry, the further she gets from her family. Jen was never able to say goodbye to her siste ...more
Anne
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read, reviewed and adored Emma Cooper's two previous books; The Songs of Us and The First Time I Saw You, so was delighted to receive my copy of If I Could Say Goodbye.

Once again, this talented author has produced a story that brings a great big lump to the throat as she details the unrelenting grief that main character Jennifer experiences when her younger sister Kerry tragically dies. However, as with her previous novels, there's a huge injection of humour too and I found myself going f
We(e) Read(s)
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I knew within the first 20 pages of starting If I Could Say Goodbye by Emma Cooper that it was going to become one of my favourite books of the year. Her beautiful writing drew me in immediately, how she conjures these amazingly likeable, relatable characters and makes you feel as though you’ve known them your whole life. I devoured this book in 2 days and I already miss it!

When Jen loses her sister Kerry in a tragic accident she is overcome with grief and guilt. Over time she begins to lose her
Georgina
Nov 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Jennifer’s sister Kerry is, quite simply, the love of her life. So when Kerry’s life is cut tragically short by an OAP driving with a dodgy windscreen wiper, Jennifer is unable to cope. Why did she survive when Kerry died? How is she meant to live in a world without her sister? And will she ever find a way to say goodbye?

So, this is my first book by Emma Cooper, and I requested it on NetGalley after seeing other reviews comment on how it was surprisingly light in tone. This unusual premise real
Sarah Lee
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
‘When you lose someone - when your life is turned upside down, and you’re left broken - grief clings to every part of your being: you can’t see properly, you can’t breathe, you can’t speak, you can’t eat, you can’t sleep… you’re living but at the same time, you’re not alive.’

I found If I Could Say Goodbye by Emma Cooper a very moving story written by someone who herself I would say has suffered from the loss of a loved one. This novel tells the story of Jennifer Jones, who loses her sister Kerry
Emma Rowson
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I discovered Emma Cooper earlier this year when I was utterly enchanted by The First Time I Saw You, a book that I loved so much that my Mum, my Grandma and my aunt-in-law have all now received gifted copies and each adored it just as much as I did.

I was therefore very excited to learn that the author had another book out. The problem is – I loved The First Time I Saw You so much…..would this live up to expectations?

The short answer. Yes. Although I would say that it didn’t sparkle quite so much
Marie’s Book Boutique
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To read my full review at mariesbookboutique.wordpress.com/2020...

The reader meets Jennifer who has a wonderful life with her husband Ed and their two children Hailey and Oscar. She has a great relationship with her adopted parents and their daughter Kerry. Jennifer and Kerry are inseparable and are very close even though they are so very different. Kerry is the adventure and risk taker and Jennifer is the safe and dependable.
So when tragedy Kerry get's killed in an accident while saving her a
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my third Emma Cooper book and having loved her previous two books, I was eager to read this, her next book.

Whilst totally different from the others, it was still thoroughly enjoyable, making me cry and sob and tense with anticipation and worry in equal measure.

The story lets us into the worlds of Jen, a recently grief stricken woman who has lost her younger sister in tragic circumstances. Ed her deliciously caring and concerned husband and their two children Hailey & Oscar. It cleverly
adventuresinabookshop Jo DM
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read Emma’s first book The Songs of Us recently and loved it (although it broke my heart!). If I Could Say Goodbye Emma has done it again with a beautiful book which covers grief and mental health in a sensitive and empathetic way.

When Jennifer Jones loses her little sister Kerry (who is also her best friend) in a tragic accident her grief is all encompassing. Although she has the perfect life full of family and happiness, all she can think about is that it should have been her who died instea
Megan Jones
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jennifer Jones' life began when her little sister, Kerry, was born. So when her sister dies in a tragic accident, nothing seems to make sense any more. Despite the support of her husband, Ed, and their wonderful children, Jen can't comprehend why she is still here, while bright, spirited Kerry is not. When Jen starts to lose herself in her memories of her sister, she doesn't realise that the closer she feels to Kerry, the further she gets from her family. Jen was never able to say goodbye to her ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Last Charm
  • The Life We Almost Had
  • The Stolen Sisters
  • The Winter Garden
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • Christmas for Beginners
  • What Now?
  • The Sight of You (The Sight of You, #1)
  • The Wish List
  • The Ex Boyfriend
  • The First Time We Met
  • One Family Christmas
  • A Surprise Christmas Wedding
  • Before I Saw You
  • The Vow
  • The Summer Job
Emma Cooper is a former teaching assistant, who lives in Shropshire, with her partner and four children. Her spare time consists of writing novels, drinking wine and watching box-sets with her partner of twenty-four years, who still makes her smile every day.

Emma has always wanted to be a writer – ever since her childhood, she’s been inventing characters (her favourite being her imaginary friend ‘