Start by marking “Malibu Rising” as Want to Read:

Malibu Rising

From the Sunday Times bestselling author of Daisy Jones & The Six.

A lifetime holding it together.
One party will bring it crashing down.

Malibu: August, 1983. It's the day of Nina Riva's annual end-of-summer party, and anticipation is at a fever pitch. Everyone wants to be around the famous Rivas: Nina, the talented surfer and supermodel; brothers Jay and Hud, one a champio
Expected publication: July 27th 2021 by Hutchinson (first published May 27th 2021)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 01, 2021
    Enter for a chance to win an early copy of MALIBU RISING — new from Taylor Jenkins Reid, bestselling author of Daisy Jones & The Six.

Nina Riva spent

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 15913 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 01 - Mar 30, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Malibu Rising, please sign up.
    Elizabeth Prochazka It is not the same interview style but does mix the current day (an hour by hour break down of the 24 hours leading up to a turning point incident) in…moreIt is not the same interview style but does mix the current day (an hour by hour break down of the 24 hours leading up to a turning point incident) intermixed with flashbacks to the characters past to build the relationships they have and things they have gone through together. It took me a bit to get into the back and forth format, but once I hit the groove, I really enjoyed it!(less)

Start your review of Malibu Rising
    sarah
    Dec 25, 2019 marked it as unreleased
    You say Taylor Jenkins Reid
    I say sold
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Finally! The goods are here!

************

I swear I come here 15 times a day to find out if there's a cover, a proper blurb, or any other tidbits about this book.

description
    Sheyla ✎

What makes a book a great book? Is it writing? Is it the premise? Is it the characters? Or is it the author's voice? I don't know but I can tell you, I thought the Malibu Rising checked all the boxes above. It was superb!

I had so much fun with the multiple storylines which is weird because usually I’m against too many characters moving around all over the place. Nevertheless, in this case, it completely worked for me.

Let's meet the Rivas:

Mick Rivas, the father, an unfaithful man, a famous r
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Tatatataaaa, may I announce you one of the best of the best reads of 2021?

During my read:
    I cried a lot...
    I sniffled...
    I giggled the sarcastic humor of the author when she described the party animal celebrities!
    My heart warmed up when I read four siblings’ close, honest relationships.
    I mesmerized by the whirlwind time travel ride between 50’s to 80’s!

I was shaken to the core, emotions are everywhere after reading Mick and June’s tragic, blasting, heartbreaking story!

TJR is one of my all ti
    MarilynW
    Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

This is just my third TJR book. I loved Daisy and The Six even though there is very little that I can relate to the rock star life. I have followed music all my life though and my husband follows the background of rock stars and groups so that book was very entertaining to me, especially with the audio version's fantastic production. I also enjoyed the audio version of Evidence of the Affair. In the case of Malibu Rising, which I read rather than listened to,
    Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
    3.5 stars rounded up to 4. This was a weird reading experience for me, if I'm being honest. I absolutely blew through it, picking my kindle up to sneak in an extra page or two during every spare moment that I had. I absolutely adored the first 60ish% of the story, but things kind of started to go down hill for me as we approached the big party and the ultimate climax of everything. As we get into the party, we go from reading exclusively from the perspectives of the Rivas, to reading short littl ...more
    Maddie
    Dec 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Yeah, I'll read anything this woman writes. ...more
    Emma Giordano
    *rising from the depths of my Goodreads grave to add this to my TBR*
    Kat
    You know that feeling you get when you try something amazing for the first time? For me it was the first time I tasted cheesecake. It’s like I inherently knew that I would never meet a cheesecake I didn’t like, no matter what flavor it featured, and I’d always want another bite.

This was my first Taylor Jenkins Reid book, and all I can say is, YUM!! I’m definitely gonna want more of this. Don’t care what flavors, just gimme a bite.

The Riva family in this book are fascinating. Iconic singer Mick c
    Jayme
    I started reading Taylor Jenkins Reid about 6 years ago...before she was a household name, and the stories of Emma (One True Loves), Lauren (After I do) and Hannah (Maybe in Another Life) are still MY personal favorites because those stories resonated with me.

TJR’s latest three, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, Daisy Jones and the Six, and now Malibu Rising have not. (I KNOW! The first two are EVERYONE else’s favorites!)

I am just not a person who becomes star struck by Movie Icons, Rock Star
    Sahil Javed
    Mar 02, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: adult
    i will literally pay taylor jenkins reid to keep writing books every year. i won't truly be alive until this book is out and in my hands. ...more
    Michael David
    Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Christmas came early for me this year, in the form of TJR’s latest novel.

Every year in Malibu, Nina Riva throws an annual end of Summer party. For anyone who is anyone, this is THE party to be seen at. Who wouldn’t want to party with the famous Riva family?

Nina is a famous surfer model. Her brother, Jay, is a highly talented and award-winning surfer. Her other brother, Hud, is a well known photographer. Then there is her youngest sibling, Kit, the sister everyone loves.

The year is 1983, and Ni
    Paromjit
    Taylor Jenkins Reid's latest offering is a dysfunctional family drama that revolves around the Riva clan, the tragedies, trauma, celebrity and surfing set in Malibu and the twenty four hours, the famous, drug and alcohol fuelled end of summer party in August 1983. In a story that shifts from the past and present, we learn of the intricacies of the painful relationship between iconic rock star Mick Riva, a character that will be familiar to those who have read the author's other books, and June, ...more
    Elyse  Walters
    In order to not feel completely nauseated...(such a let down book after “Daisy Jones and the Six”)...
    around half way into this Southern California doozie-eye-rolling novel....
    I decided it was up to me to turn the tables... and have a little fun.
    And so I did....( kinda)....
    But oh dear....”Taylor, I love you...have enjoyed all your previous books....but “Malibu Rising”, is not your best work.

It was 1983....
    Malibu was a place were rich white people lived....
    ....home to beaches cradling the crysta
    Kaceey
    Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
    There is something about Taylor Jenkins Reid’s writing that just draws you in. She tells a story so different than anyone else. You are instantly there in California with the sun shining down and sand between your toes.

A party is about to take place. No invitations. Anyone who knows the date and address is welcome. Come one...come all. Only this party may just get a bit out of hand.

Four siblings have grown up in the shadows of their famous father Mick Riva. . Their life hasn’t been easy. And th
    emma
    look at me. look me in the eyes. anything taylor jenkins reid writes. ANYTHING. i will read it.
    Bridgett
    Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc
    I am such a hardcore Taylor Jenkins Reid fan.

I gave The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo 5 stars, and Daisy Jones & The Six 4.5 stars. Unfortunately, though I still thoroughly enjoyed every page, Malibu Rising is my least favorite of the three...and is receiving a 4 star rating.

This novel takes place over a twenty-four hour period in 1983, though the first half the book does flash back to the fifties/sixties and encompasses the love story of the Riva patriarch and matriarch, Mick and June. I
    elisa
    Jan 13, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

(💌 full, unedited review on my blog, because the original version was too long for goodreads)

white nuclear families will literally surf instead of going to therapy for their trauma

this is one of those rare and extraordinary instances where my rage over a book propelled me through its pages at a speed i am totally unused to. i'm typically a slower reader, especially when losing myself in a world i love. this is because i enjoy soaking u
    ✨ A ✨
    All I see is: Malibu+ 1980s + Taylor Jenkins Reid

I don't need the details, I need the book

Release date: May 2021
    Kelli
    Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    Wow! I loved this book.

This was my first Taylor Jenkins Reid book and I can’t wait to read the rest.

This follows the story of the four Riva siblings as they throw an end of the year annual summer party. The book gives insight to their childhood and family.

The characters were well developed and I felt myself rooting for them all. I’m not even sure which one I liked the most!

The party was fun, wild and drug fueled. I felt like I was there in 1983!

Beautiful cover! I truly felt like I was in Malibu
    karen
    this is the second book i have read by taylor jenkins reid, and while her books may not be literary-award great, they are great fun—fast-paced and frothy, but underneath the pure escapist pleasure of them are layers with real emotional texture.

this one is similar to Daisy Jones & The Six in a bunch of ways—the dual shiny/pointy nature of fame with its various perks and temptations, female characters whose raw talents are sidelined or overshadowed by the media's fixation on their sex appeal & rel
    DeAnn
    Feb 10, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2021, netgalley-2021
    3.25 surfing stars

As the title would suggest, this one is set in Malibu and focuses on the iconic Riva family. The four siblings run the local beach-side restaurant; one is a world class surfer, one a calendar model, one a talented photographer, and the youngest an aspiring surfer. Their father, famous singer Mick Riva, has been out of their lives for decades.

The first half of the book really sets the stage with the backstory for all the characters and the second half is focused on the annual Ri
    Anna
    Jan 15, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

I have no interest in surf culture in the 1980s but Taylor Jenkins Reid is writing this book so obviously I'll be reading it.
    Javier
    Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Review published in: https://diagnosisbookaholic.blogspot....

4,5 ⭐

First book read in 2021 and first winner of the year. I sure started 2021 picking good!

A couple of years back I absolutely adored "The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo". Then "Daisy Jones & The Six" was a huge disappointment. I don't know if it was the book's format or the fact that I listened to the audiobook version, but I didn't connect with it at all. Not having read any other books by Taylor Jenkins Reid, I came into this one wi
    Kerrin P
    Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Can anyone say BEACH READ? Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid will be released on June 1, 2021, just in time for long summer days at the beach. Pour yourself a Sea Breeze cocktail and relax into this story about the Riva family. You’ll be glad you indulged yourself.

The prologue of the novel talks about the many times Malibu has caught on fire and then risen from the ashes. This is a very appropriate metaphor for the Riva family, who live in Malibu, and who have survived some major crises.

Taylo
    NReads
    Aug 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
    she bout to write the next big thing
    Theresa Alan
    Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This novel takes place over the course of 24 hours leading up to a huge party. It’s 1983, and 25-year-old Nina Riva is known for throwing *the* party of the year on her cliffside house in Malibu that everyone wants to be at. Nina took over raising her younger siblings after their father abandoned them for a second time and their mother lost herself in a bottle and then, by drowning in the bathtub after drinking too much.

The relationship between the siblings is rendered incredibly well,
    lazybookconqueror
    Malibu Rising is immersive, beautiful, tragic, funny, and uplifting. Welcome to the crazy 80s.

I've been all about anything written by Taylor Jenkins Reid for a while, but particularly I love this style of writing seen in Daisy Jones & The Six and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo where she writes a sort of memoir about her fictional characters - in a way that is so realistic you feel like you could type their name on Google and see them featured on Wikipedia.

I'm not sure if this is a trilogy or
    Destiny
    Unpopular opinion ahead...

As someone who has LOOOOVED every other TJR book, I went into this with very high expectations. Unfortunately, it failed to deliver.

The beginning was strong, especially the flashback portions to the 1960s of the Riva family history. The 1980s present, however, was an extremely slow burn. It felt like it was building up to an epic climax... and fell flat. It never really seemed to shock or go anywhere with intent.

I am extremely grateful to have received an ARC and whil
    Sana
    Dec 12, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
    'Malibu Burning is set against the backdrop of the Malibu surf culture of the 1980s. It follows the daughter of a famous singer who, once she finds fame, must grapple with the fact that her father abandoned her and her siblings when they were young.'

OMG YES

• The Lucky Escape
    • Good Company
    • Every Last Fear
    • What You Wish For
    • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
    • Big Summer
    • The Girls Are All So Nice Here
    • Transcendent Kingdom
    • All Girls
    Taylor Jenkins Reid is the author of Daisy Jones & The Six, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, One True Loves, and three other novels. She lives in Los Angeles. You can follow her on Instagram @tjenkinsreid. ...more

Articles featuring this book

“How were you supposed to change- in ways both big and small- when your family was always there to remind you of exactly the person you apparently signed an ironclad contract to be?” 2 likes
    “She knew it was up to her to say what had to be said. To do what had to be done. When there is only you, you do not get to choose which jobs you want, you do not get to decide you are incapable of anything. There is no room for distaste or weakness. You must do it all. All of the ugliness, the sadness, the things most people can't stand to even think about, all must live inside of you. You must be capable of everything.” 1 likes