Start by marking “Minority Report and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Minority Report and Other Stories

Minority Report and Other Stories

Viewed by many as the greatest science fiction writer on any planet, Philip K. Dick has written some of the most intriguing, original and thought-provoking fiction of our time. This collection includes stories that will make you laugh, cringe...and stop and think.

The Minority Report: a special unit that employs those with the power of precognition to prevent crimes proves

Audiobook, 6 pages
Published May 28th 2002 by HarperAudio (first published January 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Minority Report and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minority Report and Other Stories

Stuart
Minority Report and Other Stories: 4 PKD stories that inspired movies
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
Philip K. Dick is the classic case of a brilliant but struggling artist who only got full recognition after he passed away. Despite publishing an incredible 44 novels and 121 stories during his lifetime, it was not until the Ridley Scott film Blade Runner was released in 1982 that PKD gained more mainstream attention, and sadly he died before being able to see the final theatrical release.
Lyn
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Minority Report and Other Stories by Philip K. Dick is classic PKD and well worth the short time to read.

Composed of the title story, We Can Remember it for You Wholesale, Paycheck, Second Variety and The Eyes Have It; it is a great read for a PKD fan and would be a great introduction for a new reader of his works. What is difficult to imagine is how far ahead of his time he was, and like so many other artists with this kind of anachronistic genius he paid for it in poverty.

Three of the storie
Ryan Lackey
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PKD is amazing, and it's depressing to compare him to modern sci-fi authors. His short stories are probably his best work, as they present the weird, mind-twisting premise without distraction. These four short stories are among his best, and I think all (or at least 3 of them) have been made into movies.
Stephen
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Five really good stories are included in this audio collection.

1. The Minority Report: An excellent story that has some significant differences from the movies version (which I also thought was pretty good)

2. We Can Remember It For You Wholesale: Almost completely different in tone and content than the movie "Total Recall" on which this story is based. I liked the movie, but loved the story.

3. Paycheck: A very good story though not as good as the other two.

4. Second Variety
Second Variety (1953) 4.5/5
The Eyes Have It (1953) 4.5/5
Paul Ataua
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really have a tough time reading Philip K Dick’s full length novels and even some of his short stories don’t flow very well even if the ideas in them are just so awesome. For this reason, I chose the audiobook version and I wasn’t disappointed. This is a really good collection including ‘The Minority Report’, ‘We Can Remember It for You Wholesale’, ‘Paycheck’, and ‘Second Variety’. I really think it is important to keep going back to the original stories and not be seduced by the movies they g ...more
Malum
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic bunch of short stories from Philip K. Dick with not a single stinker among them.
Jeff Norris
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great classic sci-fi
Spinster
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? a while ago, wasn't impressed, and since then I've received complaints about not liking Dick. I thought I'd give it another go with this audiobook but it appears I'm just not feeling Dick. I liked the concepts of these short stories, partly the execution too, but I don't think Dick is for me and that's that.

Some details in all the stories felt outdated, which is understandable, but it bugged me that space colonies were a thing and yet these technocrats
Emily Randall
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
The Minority Report
This was a surprisingly short story! After reading this I became somewhat amazed at how long the film version of this story manages to captivate its audience by 2 hours!! This is my first taste of Philip K Dick and I am am very interested to read more!

Imposter
This one is half as long as Minorty report and that story is short! These stories feel timeless and not at all dated. I can see aspects of some of the other novels written by Philip K Dick within them, perhaps a point
Lidens
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'd rate all 5 short stories between 4-5 stars. Four of these have been adapted into movies. I found Second Variety to be a fantastic sci-fi thriller. Paycheck was also wayyyyy better than the movie, which isn't too surprising. The last story, The Eyes Have It, is a super short, super punny story.

I've read some of Dick's other stories and I usually enjoy them a lot. It's amazing how creative a paranoid mind can be. It's probably good that Dick never lived to see the way the world is now.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This collection of short stories contains Minority Report, Total Recall, Paycheck and Screamers. So it quite a good collection, highly recommended to anyone that even slightly enjoyed just one of those movies. However the stories are different than the movies, quite different in some cases. The funny thing is, this is only the second book of Philip K. Dick's I have read, and the other I didn't enjoy that much. However this turned me into a fan. I can't wait to read more of his books.
Peter
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection is the author's short stories that have been turned into movies. I've watched three out of the four movies and enjoyed most of them, so I was quite keen to read the 'source material' and compare the two (or three as in the case of the Total Recall movie and its reboot).

As you'd expect from short stories from an influential author, the core ideas behind all the stories are really clever and creative. It was fun seeing how those ideas were used pretty much verbatim and then built u
Zefyr
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook version contains:
We Can Remember it for You Wholesale
The Eyes Have It

This is kind of a book of short stories in two acts. It's carried by a question of human control by larger bodies, exploring several possibilities through that. (And PKD is as sexist as I discovered him to be when I first tried reading him years ago with The Dark-Haired Girl, but I was prepared this time!)

The first act is the first three stories, and these focus on memory. The
Ayla
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jacques Bezuidenhout
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great collection of shorts that form the bases of some very nice movies.
The most outstanding thing is how long ago these were written.

Nicely paced, and nice clear separation between stories.
I probably like Minority Report and Paycheck them most out of the lot.

Individual reviews on each book:
We Can Remember It for You Wholesale

Carrie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Listened to the first three stories on audiobook, mostly to hear the original "Minority Report". I don't think I have enough interest to finish the last two stories. They were all just ok. I would say this is definitely one case where the movie is better than the source (Minority Report being one of my favorite movies).
Q
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
So basically all the male characters in these stories are complete idiots. But man, "Second Variety" is creepy. And the SF anachronisms are delightful.
Kevin Polman
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SCIENCE FICTION FOR THE THINKER

From THE MINORITY REPORT:

“Anderton sighed. At that point he wasn’t certain, himself. Perhaps he was trapped in a closed, meaningless time-circle with no motive and no beginning. In fact, he was almost ready to concede that he was the victim of a weary, neurotic fantasy, spawned by growing insecurity. Without a fight, he was willing to give himself up. A vast weight of exhaustion lay upon him. He was struggling against the impossible – and all the cards were stacked
Amy
I reviewed each of the stories in this collection separately, so this review will just pertain to this collection as a whole. Prior to this, the only other Philip K. Dick story I had read was Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, so I wasn't really at all familiar with this author's work. Minority Report and Other Stories covered a nice range of work, from classic sci-fi, to dystopian world building, to Cold War allegory, to Poe-like suspense/horror. This was, I'd say, a good introductory sample ...more
Chris
I have always wanted to, but never have (til now) read some of Philip K Dick's stories. I'm glad I finally did. I enjoyed most of the stories in this small anthology, though the last one The Eyes Have It (which was VERY short) I didn't really get into.

Minority Report was good, but a little spartan in it's descriptive prose. I would say across all of the stories, the ideas were really great, but the stories could use a little more fleshing out with character and setting. I liked the movie version
Rob
When I originally added these books, it was on Living Social's virtual bookshelf. They didn't seem to have this collection, so I added the titles I could remember as separate entries. I'm simply cleaning them up, since this is what I listened to. Copy/pasting the little bit of (and mostly useless) comments I had on the books.

Overall rating is a 4. I enjoyed most of these stories.

Minority Report

Pretty good short story. Rather different from the movie, which I also enjoyed. I rated this a 4.

Payche
Jeff
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book consists of 4 short stories. I know science fiction geeks think Dick is one of the greatest in the genre but I’m still not sold. 3 of these stories we’re made into movies; The Minority Report, Paycheck the basis for Total Recall and Second Variety which was the basis of the movie Screamers. The last story in the book, The Eyes Have It was the most uninteresting of the 3 and thankfully it didn’t go any farther than print.

I think I said this after I listened to Blade Runner I’ll say the
Nataliea
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Philip K Dick stories but since there are several collections let me share my thoughts on each of the stories here separately:
The Minority Report (****) - I found the story much more interesting and plausible than the movie but the characters are not as captivating.
We Can Remember It For You Wholesale (***) - nice story.
Paycheck (****) - I really liked this one, all Philip K. Dick stories I read so far have a perfect closure, so I came to expect that. What makes this story stick o
Buck
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This collection includes:

We Can Remember It for You Wholesale
The Eyes Have It

They made movies of a couple of these: The MInirity Report and Total Recall. The movies were good but a bit different from the stories; Action movies - what would you expect with stars like Tom Cruise and Arnold Schwarzenegger. The stories have less action but more irony. Paycheck and Second Variety are similar in nature - with the signature PKD twists. THe Eyes Have It is short
Jay
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Five quick short stories, science fiction with an O. Henry twist. Two seem to have double or triple twists, so Dick was perfecting on the O. Henry experience. My favorite of the bunch was "Second Variety", about war robots building better war robots. The combat and war writing felt like other war books I've read, but with the science fiction twist. The others bring up some interesting concepts, especially "The Minority Report", with the absolute prediction of future crimes, allowing them to be s ...more
Speaker Stelios
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
You cant beat Dick when it comes to short stories!
Jesse
Feb 07, 2010 rated it did not like it
Sophomoric endings to tantalizing stories. Minority Report and Paycheck were included. Overall a huge letdown. Didn't follow ideas through.
Paula
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
My first delve into the writings of Philip K. Dick. It was definitely enjoyable. There were points where things felt like they dragged a bit but overall it was worth it.

Minority Report: 4/5, it was predictable since I'd seen the movie. It ruined the end of the story for me a bit. There were definitely moments when I was riveted and listening to it eagerly with gasps. Honestly after the short story, I am going to go watch the movie again.

We Can Remember It For You Wholesale: 2.5/5, this was prob
Andrew Bulthaupt
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I listened to this book via Audible.

This book is a compilation of several of Philip K. Dick's short stories, all but one of which have been adapted into films at least once.

The Minority Report - The overall premise is the same as the Tom Cruise movie, but the conflict resolution is significantly different. I enjoyed the way PKD examined how knowing your future can affect the future, and as usual, you need a sharp eye to detect the twist before it comes.

We Can Remember It For You Wholesale - The
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay and the Story
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • American Flagg!, Vol. 1
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (The Voice from the Edge #1)
  • The Woods #1
  • The Ends Of The Earth
  • Even the Queen, & Other Short Stories
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose
  • We're Alive: A Story of Survival, the First Season
  • The Traveler
  • The Constitution of the United States with the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Omnibus 2
  • Rat Catcher
  • Press Enter
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It
  • Clifford Gets a Job
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more