Start by marking “The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics” as Want to Read:
The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics

The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics

(DC Comics Guides)

At last–the first guide to drawing comics digitally! Artists! Gain incredible superpowers...with the help of your computer! The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics shows how to give up pencil, pen, and paper and start drawing dynamic, exciting comics art entirely with computer tools. Author Freddie E Williams is one of DC Comics' hottest artists and a leader in digital pencil ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Watson-Guptill (first published April 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics

Start your review of The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics
Shopgirl
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A pretty cool book, and not too difficult to follow along with. My experience is with GIMP rather than Photoshop, but most all of the stuff talked about in here I was familiar with and knew how to do, I just never considered using it this way. This book has made me excited about trying out digital drawing. The one downside to this book is that it stops at the inking stage and doesn't go into doing color (which, I suppose is something he doesn't do, so understandable, though it would have been ni ...more
Parka
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

Artist author Freddie E Williams has been creating comics digitally since 1999. He has put together this great resource targeted at those who intend to create comics on the computer, or looking for ways to streamline their digital workflow. You must already know how to draw to get the most out of this book.

Three types of workflow are discussed, namely the All-Digital Workflow, Pencil Hybrid Workflow and the Ink Hybrid Workflow. You can
John Kirk
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creating-comics
There's a lot of useful information here, and I'm glad I bought the book (rather than just borrowing it) so that I can refer back to it later. However, you need to understand the scope. This book targets a particular niche, and it's really about logistics. He refers to a couple of other DC guides in the series for more information about pencilling and inking. So, this book won't teach you how to draw, but if you can already draw (on paper) then he'll teach you how to do it digitally.

F.P.
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, nonfiction
I used to draw comics when I was a kid. But that's not why I'm reading this book.

That it's got CLEAR info on how to use Photoshop is what makes this book useful for me. So far I've found two awesome tips, one about how to very easily draw a perfectly straight line. Why on earth don't all the digital-art books give that basic info?!? I've been struggling to figure out which functions allow me to create very crisp, not-freehand, linear shapes, and, duh, the answer is so damn easy!

I ha
Eric
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, comics
This was exactly what I was looking for. I'm glad that it was, too, because I believe it's the only book that covers creating digital comics so thoroughly. There's obviously more than can be contained here, but I'd list this as essential. Might check out the forthcoming digital color book DC is doing also.

The one thing this book did for me is make the whole process doable. I can see from start to finish how I could do this and that's huge. It's still a lot of work, but now I can see
Bob Bello
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Comic artists
Recommended to Bob by: Amazon
This book takes you where no traditional comic artist has gone before! Freddie explains painstakingly everything you need to know to create stunning, modern-day graphic novels in Photoshop. The book is virtually loaded with information and step-by-step tutorials, unlocking secrets of digital art, tricks, effects, and even 3D manipulation in 2D graphics mode. If you want to know how to do it digitally or tradigitally (i.e., hybrid), I strongly recommend this book, a masterpiece on the subject! If ...more
Stasia Lutova
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Very specific and instructive. I really got into the mindset of a professional comic book artist. Although, since I'm a graphic designer, some of the Photoshop settings and tool explanations had to be skipped over. And sometimes I didn't really understand why Williams did things a certain way, when I would have done it completely differently (and in my opinion, much more efficiently). But each to his/her own, I like that he wasn't didactic about his method, and he didn't make it se ...more
Serge Pierro
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, graphic-novels
An interesting approach to doing comic books digitally. Although it focuses on using Photoshop, any similar graphic software could be used. The most interesting aspect of the book was his use of his "cardboard cutouts" and his technique for doing background architecture. This approach is more akin to working on cel animations, than traditional comic book techniques. I look forward to reading some of the other books in the "DC Comics Guide to" series.
Tracy
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
A good place for me to start - I'm well versed in Photoshop and wanted a workflow. A few helpful recommendations on which tools to use for each step. Directions were sometimes a bit hard to follow despite being very familiar with PS.
Cindy
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great resource with really helpful step-by-step instructions on how to digitally create comics. I learned many things I'd struggled to figure out on my own and will definitely be buying this in the near future.
Maurice
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was ok. Maybe it's for people looking for something different than I was, but I took some pointers out of it. Pretty easy to get through, didn't take long.
Jaime
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read, could have easily have been 3x the size. Lots of interesting details as well as tips and tricks to get you started.
Michael
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Pretty good!
Josh Storey
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot recommend these books enough. They really are top notch guides. I've read two so far, and I've extensively annotated both.
Gogospirit

• Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • Successful Drawing
  • Zen of Seeing: Seeing/Drawing as Meditation
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery: Solutions for Drawing the Clothed Figure
  • Figure Drawing: Design and Invention
  • Words for Pictures: The Art and Business of Writing Comics and Graphic Novels
American comic book writer and artist. Best known for his work on DC Comics, and for working almost entirely in Digital format. He was hired for several issues of Seven Soldiers featuring Mister Miracle, for which he won an Eisner Award.

DC Comics Guides (6 books)
  • The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics