Start by marking “We Lie With Death (The Reborn Empire, #2)” as Want to Read:
We Lie With Death (The Reborn Empire, #2)

We Lie With Death

(The Reborn Empire #2)

The empire has fallen and another rises in its place in the action-packed sequel to Devin Madson's epic fantasy, We Ride the Storm.

Into Kisia's conquered north, a Levanti empire is born.

Loyal to the new emperor, Dishiva e'Jaroven must tread the line between building a new life and clinging to the old. Only Gideon can lead them, but when he allies himself with a man returne
Published January 12th 2021 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about We Lie With Death, please sign up.
Lindsay Devin Madson
‏ @DevinMadson

Devin Madson
‏ @DevinMadson

UPDATE! A month ago I announced a publication delay for WE LIE WITH DEATH, Bk 2 of The Reborn Empire. I can now inform all my lovely, patient readers that the series has been traditionally acquired! Squeee! I can’t give more details rn but I promise the wait will be worth it!❤️
4:37 PM - 23 Apr 2019 (less)

Start your review of We Lie With Death (The Reborn Empire, #2)
Petrik
ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

There is no calm after the storm, Devin Madson has crafted a sequel rich with wonderful character developments and illuminating revelations.

It’s been roughly seven months since I finished reading We Ride the Storm. Ever since I finished it, We Lie With Death instantly became one of my most anticipated books of 2019. Considering the unreasonably high expectations I had for this book, I honestly think that it’s truly praise-worthy that Mad
Adam
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Devin Madson’s We Ride the Storm was one of the most welcome surprises of 2018. By now, Madson has firmly established herself as an Aurealis Award-winning epic fantasy mogul, but it wasn’t until WRtS started catching fire among a few fellow bloggers that I decided to give this series a shot. This turned out to be a great decision, as I quickly became lost in a richly detailed world with generations of lore spanning multiple empires. I have been eagerly awaiting the next book in the series and ev ...more
Lukasz
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.5/5

With a richly immersive setting and complex characters, second book in The Reborn Empire series wraps readers in a dark and gritty tale. As far as dark epic fantasy goes, We Lie with Death checks all the boxes. It presents readers with a world so vivid and featuring complex religious and racial divides, it will satisfy genre’s most discriminate enthusiasts. I don’t count myself as one and yet I felt utterly engrossed in the events.

We Lie with Death expands and deepens the
Jon Adams
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Release day!

Reviews for sequels don't need to be long and drawn out. If you liked the first book, you'll love this one. If you loved the first book chances are you're already planning on reading this one. Do it, as soon as you get the opportunity. Madson knocks it out of the park..again. Well done.

I am very thankful to the author for providing me with an ARC and I can't wait to buy the physical copy to add to my collection.
Jordan
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Another fantastic installment!

Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

When I read We Ride the Storm last year, I had no idea how much I would end up loving it or that it would become the start of a new trilogy that I would be endlessly anticipating as it continues to be released. We Lie With Death is an intricate, gritty, richly developed, and highly satisfying follow-up that I sincerely enjoyed and cannot recommend enough to others to pick up. The mixture of racial tension, political int
Rosalyn Kelly
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in December 2018 I read We Ride The Storm, the first book in The Reborn Empire series by Devin Madson and I LOVED it. It was my book of 2018. Fast-forward to December 2019 and I finished the second book, We Lie With Death, and also massively enjoyed it!

This second novel picks up soon after the first one ends. The empire of Kisia has been conquered by the Levanti, and they’re settling in. The new emperor, Gideon, is doing his best to keep his Levanti people together while also attempting to
Queen Terrible Timy
The review was originally posted on RockStarlit BookAsylum!

I've got an ARC from Devin Madson in exchange of an honest review.

“Alive one moment, dead the next, the weight of each individual soul upon the world as fleeting as a daylight sparrow.”

Events pick up right after they were left off at the end of We Ride the Storm. Miko is forced to fled and find allies to get back Kisia's throne with her faithful General on her side. Rah leaves the forming Levanti Empire behind after refusing to bow d
Iryna *Book and Sword*
The cover is amazing!

I don't know how I fell out of the loop and missed this book being a thing so soon, but I'm here for it. Well, I'm here for Cassandra, so she better not disappoint! Just a month to wait, I can manage.
Right?

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG

Juliano Dutra
Jan 13, 2021 rated it did not like it
DNF at 20%. Had some problems with de plot and even prose on the first book, but i liked the how the characters traits when they were initially introduced.
I thought that, after their passivity in the first book, they could make more pragmatic decisions for their actions and goals, but .... Nothing happens and they just whine that no one acts as they think they should.
I believe that good authors can make the books interesting, even when the characters have their means of action restricted, as an
Kristen
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review is here, on my blog!~

Well, this one picks up pretty much where We Ride the Storm left off. The Kisian Empire is fractured, with the Levanti claiming a good chunk of it, and Miko Ts’ai attempting to claim the other, with pushback.

Rah e’Torin has been exiled from the rest of the Levanti and left pretty much to die, but runs into some trouble which ends up leaving him with an unexpected companion.

Cassandra is stuck with Empress Hana, who has been sold along with her to the Witchdoctor w
Amanda J Spedding
Brilliant next instalment of the Reborn Empire. Stakes are raised, battles rage on personal and empiric fronts, and a new voice has been added to the storytelling who may just turn out to be my favourite.

Madson's prose is beautiful and brutal, the political machinations pulling no punches, but always there are the characters whose tales you can't help but invest in... and that's the true art of storytelling.

The sigils for each of the narrators are incredible pieces of art, and such a unique wa
Kristen
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This and more reviews at superstardrifter.com

This one starts off almost immediately after the events of We Ride the Storm. Miko is on the run, her empire shattered into fragments. Rah is also on the run, after refusing to bow to the Levanti Emperor who conquered part of Kisia. Cassandra has been sold to the Witchdoctor, and finds herself in his custody with Emperess Hana, being experimented on. Cassandra's willing to just go along with it, because the Witchdoctor may be the only person in the wo
Queen Terrible Timy
This review was originally posted on Queen's Book Asylum!

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from Orbit in exchange of an honest review.

“What is justice if not an idea?” she said. “What is freedom if not an idea? What is culture if not an idea? If you do not fight for it then someone can take it from you. Can take your way of life. Your freedom. Are those things not worth fighting for?”

Events pick up right where they were left off at the end of We Ride the Storm. Miko is forced to fled and find a
Tom Smith
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Copied from my Facebook page "Writers, Whiskey and Wagging chins.

I just finished We Lie with Death (sequel to We Ride the Storm)by my friend Devin Madson.
What a fantastic book! It's already in my early favorites for book of the year along with Rob Hayes' Never Die and Richard Nell's Kings of Ash.
All 3 have distinctly asian feels and for a lifelong martial artist like me that grew up watching kung fu theatre on Saturday mornings, I have to say I'm digging it.
I find Devin's book reminiscent of Ta
Kayla
Jan 12, 2021 marked it as owned-to-read
HAPPY PUB DAY!!!! Hoping to have a review up for this this week on my channel! Stay tuned :)
Alan Baxter
A fantastic sequel to We Ride The Storm. Intrigue and backstabbing, action and mayhem, all set in a wonderfully realised world with complex, compelling characters. Get on this series, folks, it’s great.
KitKat The #BookNerd KBbookreviews
Rating: 5 out of 5.
Synopsis: The Kisian Empire has fallen, and a Levanti Empire has taken it’s place. But the Empire is fractured and deadly secrets pulse through its heart. Miko must fight hard to regain her Kingdom, and Rah must choose his path – home or Gideon? Dishiva, having replaced Rah as Gideon’s trusted Captain, must navigate the new Levanti-Kisia Empire, but someone makes her wary, and Cassandra finds herself with the Witchdoctor, but can, and will, he ‘cure’ her?

CW/TW: Death/Gore/Viol
Lara
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Miko Miko Miko

We Ride The Storm (Book 1) ended on a slightly formulaic cliff hanger, which annoyed me a little bit especially as I was battling coming to a new series that had a rich backstory I knew nothing about. We Lie with Death ends on a triumphant note that leaves me satisfied but still eager for the final book. As with the first book, this focuses around 3 main characters and tells the story from their POVs.

Miko has only grown fiercer. As the deposed Emperess, she is besieged on all si
Matt McAbee
I received a copy of this book from the author for an honest review.

I loved this book from beginning to end! I am already picking this as one of the best books of the year.

Picking up where We Ride the Storm left off, We Lie With Death continues to follow Rah, Cassandra, and, Miko through the bitter times that have come to Kisia. Devin Madson's storytelling is on point throughout the book as she delicately weaves a twisting turning story.

The second book becomes more character driven than the
Tam
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
That was so good. Everything book 1 was and more. I can't wait for book 3 ...more
Katie
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, arc
4/5 - cliffhangers should be banned wtf
Isabelle
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
We Lie with Death // by Devin Madson

I struggled a little more with writing this review than the one for the first book. There were a lot of great things about this book but there were also parts that I really struggled with. One thing that really stood out to me as something that I wish every series had was that Madson did a recap of what has happened so far right at the beginning of the book. I read We Ride the Storm just last week so I could still remember what happened in that book easily but
The Chronicler
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a way to start the year. We Lie of Death was a hell of a ride and I flew through it quicker than any other book I’ve read in years. I knew it’d be good, having read and given the first book 4 stars. But Devin Madson took it to a whole new level this time and truly blew away. Will my first book of the year end up being my favourite of the year???

We meet all our favourite narrators again. Miko, Rah, Cassandra with the added bonus of Dishiva. One of the best things about the book was just how
TheDigressiveApproach
A huge thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. All the opinions expressed in this review are my own.
---
Wow! After the heart(and gut)rending first instalment of this series, Madson needed to put in a lot of hard work to maintain the absolutely packed experience in the next book. And boy did We Lie with Death more than deliver!

I said it before and I'll say it again: Rah is now a permanent fixture in my top 5 fantasy characters lis
Dawn
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
"We Lie With Death" is the second book in "The Reborn Empire" series. I read the first book ("We Ride the Storm") back in June, and I was very happy to get back to this world and the characters. As I said before, Devin Madson's grasp of world-building, character creation, and what a story needs to do to keep you reading is top-notch. The story gets stronger and stronger, the characters more vivid, and the writing remains at a very high standard. I'm already looking forward to the conclusion.

My t
Robyn
Jan 17, 2021 rated it liked it
RTC
Dec 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
Copy received from Netgalley. All opinions are my own.

We Lie With Death was a major disappointment for me. Everything that I actually enjoyed in the first book was completely ruined in this book and the things I hated were amplified until I just couldn’t bear it anymore.

The thing I hated most was that it was just such a slog to read. It was so slow and most of the characters took a long time to actually do anything productive. It got to the point where I only had seventy pages to read and I was
Egill Friðgeirsson
Jan 17, 2021
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Mar 28, 2019
Iris
Jan 13, 2021

• The Mask of Mirrors (Rook & Rose, #1)
  • The Stone Knife (The Songs of the Drowned, #1)
  • The Fires of Vengeance (The Burning, #2)
  • Paternus: War of Gods (The Paternus Trilogy, #3)
  • The Lore of Prometheus
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • Briarley
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • A Case of Spirits (A Charm of Magpies, #2.5)
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • Master of Sorrows (The Silent Gods #1)
  • First Blood (Mismatched Mates #2.6)
  • Hollow Empire (Poison Wars, #2)
  • Ranger's Oath (Fall of Radiance, #1)
  • Soulkeeper (The Keepers, #1)
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
Devin Madson is an Aurealis Award-winning fantasy author from Australia. After some sucky teenage years, she gave up reality and is now a dual-wielding rogue who works through every tiny side-quest and always ends up too over-powered for the final boss. Anything but zen, Devin subsists on tea and chocolate and so much fried zucchini she ought to have turned into one by now. Her fantasy novels come ...more

The Reborn Empire (3 books)
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • We Cry for Blood (The Reborn Empire, #3)