Start by marking “Change: How to Make Big Things Happen” as Want to Read:
Change: How to Make Big Things Happen

Change: How to Make Big Things Happen

How to create the change you want to see in the world using the paradigm-busting ideas in this "utterly fascinating" (Adam Grant) big-idea book.​

Most of what we know about how ideas spread comes from bestselling authors who give us a compelling picture of a world, in which "influencers" are king, "sticky" ideas "go viral," and good behavior is "nudged" forward. The problem
Published January 19th 2021 by Little, Brown Spark

To ask other readers questions about Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change

Start your review of Change: How to Make Big Things Happen
عبدالرحمن عقاب
Apr 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
هذا كتاب رائع، مهم ونافع. و تكمن أهميته في أنّه من الكتب ذوات الطروح الجديدة والمخالفة للمعروف المألوف.فالكتاب يخالف ما استقرّ في الأذهان وتناقلته الكتب والمحاضرات؛ من أساليب الدعاية الاجتماعية، التي يُقصد منها إحداث تغيير في أفكار الناس أو سلوكهم من خلال التأثير بالمؤثر النجم (1)، والتركيز على جاذبية الجديد، واستخدام الروابط الضعيفة؛ البعيدة الممتدة (2). وهذا كله مما استقرّ على مدى عقود من الزمن.
يفرّق الكاتب بين وسيلة انتشار صورة أو مقطع مصور أو نكتةٍ ما؛ و بين انتشار فكرةٍ تحدث تغييرًا في سلو
Stuart Macalpine
If you are engaged in leadership and change work, I think this book is a bit of an instant classic.

When people think about networks, and how 'things' spread, the metaphor they use is that they are hoping that things 'go viral' and achieve a system impact. The significant insight and research Damon Centola brings to bear is that he makes one very important distinction. The things that spread like viruses (information or memes), do not spread like behaviours or norms spread.

This insight is profoun
Debjeet
Apr 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Md Akhlaq
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Professor Damon Centola is the world expert in the new science of networks. His ground-breaking research across areas as disparate as voting, health, technology and finance has highlighted powerful and highly effective new ways to ensure lasting change.

In this book, Centola distils over a decade of deep experience into a striking new theory that questions previous assumptions that new ideas are either contagious or not.

This book is so different. The author explains things like scientific researc
Meg
Jun 05, 2021 rated it liked it
Some things I learned:
- Simple contagions, like viruses, gossip, and news benefit from reach and influencers
- Complex contagions - behaviors people resist, like getting a vaccine, adopting a new technology, or making a lifestyle shift - benefit from strong ties, tightly connected networks.
- To spread behavior change and to grow a movement - like the Movement for Black Lives - repeated exposure is needed to influence change, wide bridges between networks of close ties are essential...
- The patter
Ezra
Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I heard about this book first on Hidden Brain (which I guess is an influencer distribution model) and I wanted to hear more. Great way of understanding the spread and adoption of ideas works in the world.
Yogini
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A must read book.
J Haydel
Jan 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book in a publisher giveaway.

This book fits neatly in the big-idea genre. The big idea here is compelling and made me think about many potential connections, such as the different styles of discussion in a synchronous vs. asynchronous class discussion (an application of the big idea not addressed in the book).

The book also has the negatives of the big-idea genre. Individual case studies were very superficial, and other potential explanations for outcom
Roger Smitter
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Damon Centola, a prof of communication at Annenberg School for Communication gives us a new way to look at how humans can get other humans to change their ideas. The author is one of a list of hundreds (maybe thousands) of writers who have told their audiences how change what people think or do. This kind of work goes back thousands of years, best known by the early Greeks.

The author doesn’t give us info about history and communication. He winds together a set of ideas (and sometimes a lot of s
Tyson Reuer
Apr 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. It provided interesting insights on how changes spreads through social networks. It identifies the important difference between two types of viral change; a simple contagion and a complex contagion.

I liked the concept of looking for special places in a network vs special people. How social redundancy is the key to a change taking hold and can have a snowball affect, starting slowly and then rapidly expanding.

It also challenges a very predominant marketing view that “influe
Crystal
Apr 25, 2021 rated it liked it
This book delves into the forces that help influence people to make various decisions. It explains how basically every decision we make is started by grass roots movements. It goes into great detail to explain how to choose the correct location, group of influencers, and hierarchy schemes to grow optimally.
However, it was a very boring and unnecessarily repetitive. If the first explanation was not clear it seemed as though they would give two more examples right after it. Most times I had to fo
Manouane Beauchamp
Apr 23, 2021 rated it liked it
Livre intéressant qui se penche sur les facteurs qui influencent le changement au sein d'une société. Pour les lecteurs adeptes de lecture rapide, il est facile de passer au travers cet ouvrage en lisant la page 89 pour comprendre les deux types de réseaux, puis la page 111 pour saisir les deux types de liens qui peuvent exister entre des réseaux. Il suffit de lire le chapitre 13 pour saisir l'essence des idées de l'auteur. Il est à noter que ce livre ne fournit que très peu d'informations qui p ...more
Riccardo
Apr 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
hate the hype (v subtle for the author to put himself just after discussing the great genius of Darwin and the similarity of their research; very subtle to not even mention many of the collaborators). But the structured review of network science in the light of what creates change was really nicely done.
Chris Boutté
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I'm extremely interested in group psychology, social norms, and influence, so I picked this book up. Damon Centola did an excellent job with this book presenting some of his own research that I haven't heard from other books on the subject. I read a lot of books about making change happen, so it was refreshing to hear some new ideas, theories, and studies. ...more
Dieter
May 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Ana Anaya
May 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“People’s beliefs about what will motivate them to change their behavior are often not a reliable guide for helping them actually change. In fact, peoples’s beliefs about their own motivations may be the least reliable explanation for their behavior.”
Tim Dugan
Mar 30, 2021 rated it liked it
some interesting points but didn't really form a cohesive point.

strong and weak connections.

adopters adopt, believers believe etc a lot based on peer pressure. is that news?

Tracy Brower
Jun 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sociology
Excellent and so interesting. Network science and using the network to spread good ideas. Unexpected information.
James Sefton
Each chapter got more interesting till the last chapter and the amazing story of Werner Forssman.

Just the fireworks netting part was a bit dull
Malcolm
Apr 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I like the recognition given to egalitarian networks rather than those dominated by an influencer.
S. McCarty
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
We live in a culture that over-emphasizes individual-level interventions when the broader relational and social networks are much more influential than we realize...
Roman
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It alao includes some practical advice. Do use them for good.
Samantha
Mar 17, 2021 rated it it was ok
The author never gets to his point and just offers generic tips about networks. Nothing new, nor anything useful, is revealed in this book at all. The writing style was also painful to get through.
Roxanne
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about making change happen in your life. It talks about the way of being a bold thinker, and how there are new ideas, movements and behaviors that are happening in the world. I am older now so the new influencers ideas do not really hit me well. So this book is a more scientific approach to change our beliefs.
Monique
Mar 28, 2021
Anna
rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2021
Jan 11, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Chatter: The Voice in Our Head, Why It Matters, and How to Harness It
  • Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don't Know
  • Empire of Silence (Sun Eater, #1)
  • Ready Player Two (Ready Player One, #2)
  • Foundryside (The Founders Trilogy, #1)
  • This Time Next Year
  • The Boy Toy
  • The Garden of Small Beginnings
  • People Like Her
  • The Last Tribe
  • War Lord (Saxon Stories, #13)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Zoo (Zoo #1)
  • Tom Clancy Code of Honor (Jack Ryan Universe, #28)
See top shelves…