Start by marking “Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)

Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  373 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In Regency England, Beau Brummell stood as the uncrowned king of genteel society. In this first mystery in a new series, Beau is asked by the Duchess of York for his help in finding the killer of the cantankerous Countess of Wrayburn, who has been fatally poisoned.
Published May 1st 2001 by Berkley (first published May 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Death on a Silver Tray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on a Silver Tray

MAP
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is the first in the Beau Brummel mystery series. I picked it up because I am interested in Beau Brummel, and the biography I wanted to buy I couldn't immediately get my hands on.

I will be the first to say I don't read a lot of mysteries, so I don't really know what the standards are. However, I think there were some amateurish moments. The book really suffered from being written in first person -- it meant a lot of expository dialogue and a LOT of Beau thinking nice things about himsel
Eleanor Jones
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Don't miss this series of four books starring the answer to fashion Beau Brummell and his sleuthing ways. This series is cleverly written, entertaining, and always interesting in plot. Pretty much everything a good mystery should be with entertaining regency characters thrown in, as well as Beau's incorrigible butler, Robinson (maybe my favorite character). I will keep these and read them again. If you are looking for something refreshing and different, and don't mind a little laugh-out-loud in ...more
Denise
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Beau Brummell actually existed in history. He wasn't part of the "landed" gentry nor of noble birth. Yet he managed to rise to the top of society merely by his wits and his impeccable sense of style. And became a celebrity of his time. He befriended the Prince of Wales at one point and suddenly "all kinds of doors opened". Though this book is not written as a serious historical tale, it does make for a nice, easy read more in line with a young adult level of reader. And one thing that I noticed ...more
Phair
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Much better than expected. Lots of history and period culture as well as much biographical info on Brummell all woven into the story without feeling pedantic. While the mystery perp was no great surprise the "ride" was thoroughly enjoyable. Left me thinking I wouldn't mind another adventure with the Beau.
Kathryn
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
During the reign of George III, London had its own Mr. Blackwell, of sorts -- a man named Beau Brummell, whose eye for fashion and trendsetting in England's Regency Era is now the stuff of legend. That romance author Rosemary Stevens thought to immortalize such a person as a fictional sleuth intrigued me enough to select this title on a recent library trip.
Having enough disposable income to live comfortably without having to resort to manual labor (lucky bastard), Mr. Brummell lives his days le
Kate
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
"In Regency England, Beau Brummell stood as the uncrowneed king of genteel Society. Whatever he wore was the height of fashion. Wherever he went was the place to be. And the last place one would expect to find himwas in the middle of a murder mystery. But then, Beau brummel was never one to do what was expected.

"When the Duchess of York asks for his help, Beau Brummell cannot refuse. The cantankerous Countess of Wrayburn has been fatally poisoned, and her paid companion -- for whomthe Duchess ar
Gloria
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, i-own
Yet again another historical mystery. Now I think I am Chia obsessed. In this one, Beau Brummel, the leader of the Ton in early 1800s England investigates the murder of a rather grumpy old countess. Brummel is asked by a friend, the Duchess of York, to prove that her friend did not kill this countess. Along the way, Brummel randomly picks up a new pet: a Siamese cat. This plot device follows in the long tradition of cat sleuths, where certain feline friends provide vital clues for their owners. ...more
Dharia Scarab
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it

4 sta
Amanda
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Ehhh, I'm actually wishing I could give this 3.99 stars, I reserve 5 stars for books that I was sad were over and would immediately read again, 4 stars for books I really liked and 3 stars are for blah books. This was almost a 4 star, but after sleeping on it, I realize that reading book two will be something to read, but I'm not invested in the series yet. The main character was nice and well developed, the supporting characters were there, but had very little substance. My favorite was his pet ...more
Angel
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really just got this book on a whim cause it had Brummell in it and i was in a Regency England mood. I ended up adoring it. Brummell is great, his jabs to rude people in society are amusing and you see where he's heading and feel a bit sorry for him knowing about his history. The mystery was good and written so you saw how Brummell's help was needed to get Society tidbits. I enjoyed it and will probably buy more of the series!
Alice
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beau Brummell to the rescue

In this first book of the Brummell mysteries, we find the Beau going about society as usual and acquiring the only Royal Siamese Cat in England. He then becomes involved in a public scene which later turns into murder. The author has a very deft touch with Regency manners, more's and affectations. Her research is well done and her characters are in keeping with the historical figures that they are based on. Very enjoyable light mystery.
Argum
This Regency historical mystery casts dandy supreme Beau Brummel as a crime solver. His great friend the Duchess of York has recommended a lady's maid to a friend and she is the prime suspect in the murder of that odious woman. To protect her reputation, Beau steps into to find the real culprit. I did enjoy the mystery, I did enjoy the cat, I am not sure I enjoyed the cat being so key in pointing out clues. I will be putting the next on my to read list, but am not totally sold just yet.
Pat
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one. Stevens zeros in on the arbiter of fashion in Regency England, Beau Brummell. I found the characters kind of quirky and cute. The mystery was not the brain twisting kind - even I figured it out before the big reveal, and I never figure out the mysteries. But, it was okay. I enjoyed the book anyway.
Kerensa
Judith
An amusing, light-hearted mystery featuring George Brummel and a Siamese cat that he picks up. Characters are amusing (or dreadful if met in real life) and Brummel's voice is consistent throughout the book (he is the narrator). I'll look for more in the series. A quick, easy, summer read.
Shirley
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed. Enjoyed the cat aspect. Brummel thinks quite highly of himself which I usually dislike but since he was in real life I let it pass.
Ulla
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great fun to read!
Noni
Dec 17, 2007 rated it liked it
A light enjoyable read - a little too much Brummel over plot though
Beverly Wiedemann
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Well written, good mystery and well drawn characters, just not quite my style somehow.
Jean
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: british-mystery
Fun, witty British mystery. Beau Brummell is a kick as the well dressed detective!
Carrie
I rather enjoyed this book, Brummell is delightful character. I do hope I can find the rest in the series.
Jane
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished-myst
meh
Mollie
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Charming, eloquent, and very well-written.
Diana Duncan
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Entertaining mystery set during the Regency Period in England with Beau Brummell as an amateur detective. His relationship with his cat was especially amusing.
Little Red Readinghood
Well researched, nice mysteries.
Mare
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book much more than I thought that I would. The dry humor of the characters tickled me to no end.
Kristen Westfall
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Fun, silly story. I wish fashion had played a bigger role, but there was a decent amount. I have a soft spot for swooning valets.
Donna
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
A light quick read but very enjoyable.
Katherine Clark
A Regency Historical mystery I read for the Monograph. This won the Agatha Best First novel in 2000.
Judy Bullard
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Good read - Beau Brummel is the main character who helps solve a murder mystery.
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • A Bicycle Built for Murder (Manor House Mystery #1)
  • The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14)
  • The Thief-Taker (Memoirs of a Bow Street Runner #1)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Isaac Of Girona, #1)
  • The Spice Box (The Spice Box, #1)
  • Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1)
  • A Broken Vessel (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #2)
  • It's a Mod, Mod, Mod, Mod Murder (Murder a-Go-Go, #1)
  • Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)
  • The Gilded Shroud (A Lady Fan Mystery #1)
  • A Gentleman of Fortune (A Dido Kent Mystery #2)
  • High Marks for Murder (Bellehaven House, #1)
  • A Dead Bore (John Pickett Mysteries, #2)
  • Death In Lacquer Red (Hilda Johansson, #1)
  • Sweet Revenge (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery #1)

Rosemary Stevens has won the Agatha Award and the Romantic Times Award for Best First Mystery. She has appeared on the IMBA bestseller list several times for her Beau Brummell Mystery Series published in North America by the Penguin Group and in France by EDITIONS DU MASQU
More about Rosemary Stevens

Beau Brummell (4 books)
  • The Tainted Snuff Box (Beau Brummell, #2)
  • The Bloodied Cravat (Beau Brummell, #3)
  • Murder in the Pleasure Gardens (Beau Brummell, #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
  • The Dressmaker's Dowry
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Halo Effect
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club
  • Grit
  • Fatal Tide
  • The Wife
    $12.99 $3.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Trinity Game (The Game Trilogy Book 1)
  • Live by Night
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Story
  • The Lost Girls
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Summer (Darling Investigations #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Supreme Justice (Reeder and Rogers #1)