Start by marking “Time Off: A Practical Guide to Building Your Rest Ethic and Finding Success Without the Stress” as Want to Read:

Discover the transformative power of leisure to recapture your calm and creativity.We live in a time where busyness is often seen as a badge of honor. But are your busiest days really the ones that make you feel the most accomplished? If all of your hard work isn't working, it might be time to question the common assumption that "busy" = "productive." After reaching breaki ...more
Published May 25th 2020 by Time Off LLC

To ask other readers questions about Time Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Off

Start your review of Time Off: A Practical Guide to Building Your Rest Ethic and Finding Success Without the Stress
Pistachio
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Are you a knowledge worker, creative worker or leader these days? You have to read this!

Amazing collection of stories, thoughts, clever people and ways how to approach life (how to live and how to work altogether).
Niall Rundle
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Game Changer

This book has given me a new and different outlook on life and work. I've read many self improvement books which have focused on delivering results and achieving more in a work setting. However, this book for me is a game changer. It takes a wide variety of sources to demonstrate the point, it is relatable and doesn't come across as preachy. I would highly recommend this book. It is an easy read and could change your life.
Tomas Pasek
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I rarely read self-development books, but this one was just great. A mind opening book that should be read by every manager, executive or any 9-5 employee. I personally made several great steps in my career inspired by this piece. Thanks!
Stephanie
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book would make a great gift for the workaholics in your life.

As someone who always feels the need and pressure to be busy at work (otherwise I feel guilty), I really enjoyed this book as it helped me rethink and question this need/pressure and whether or not busy = better. I also like how the book was broken up into sections with little stories/examples in each section. These small easily digestible pieces made the book fun and easy to read.
Jill Steeley
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book by John Fitch and Max Frenzel, is an in-depth look at time spent not working and the concept of rest ethic. The authors begin with a stroll through the history of the view of work vs. leisure, beginning with the ancient hunter-gatherer cultures. It is interesting to contrast how the ancients only did enough work to ensure survival, whereas today, work tends to consume us and leaves little time for true relaxation.

Nine traits are presented to show the importance of mindfully incorporati
Anthony Abeja
Sep 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I usually don't like self-help books not rooted in explicit anti-capitalist critique, but the authors do a good job contextualizing why it's important to develop a rest ethic: there is unfettered societal pressure to constantly work, and it's taking a toll on us as individuals. More and more, people are struggling with finding meaning in their work and, overall, lives.

With more critical eyes, it's easy to see how this ties into how global capitalism has developed an exploitative system of labor
Jeffrey Fisher
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Other than its central theme of taking time off so you can be better at "work," (what's wrong with taking time off to be better at LIFE?), the book is well written, researched, and presented. Found a few ideas for active leisure that I might try to implement. Only after I take a break.

Dan Dawson
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good.
Matty Dalrymple
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book with thought-provoking ideas and practical advice for acting on them, supported by lovely illustrations by Mariya Suzuki.
Svoorhie
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Whisper Man
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Mexican Gothic
  • Find Me (Inland Empire, #1)
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • Coraline
  • All Along You Were Blooming: Thoughts for Boundless Living
  • Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
  • Watercolour with Love: 50 modern motifs to paint in 5 easy steps
  • 15-Minute Watercolor Masterpieces: Create Frame-Worthy Art in Just a Few Simple Steps
  • Drawing for Joy: 15-Minute Daily Meditations to Cultivate Drawing Skill and Unwind with Color--365 Prompts for Aspiring Artists
  • Draw Every Little Thing: Learn to draw more than 100 everyday items, from food to fashion
  • Everyday Watercolor: Learn to Paint Watercolor in 30 Days
  • Journal with Purpose: Over 1000 Motifs, Alphabets and Icons to Personalize Your Bullet or Dot Journal
  • The Joy of Watercolor: 40 Happy Lessons for Painting the World Around You