Start by marking “Life Lessons (Lessons of a Student Midwife #1)” as Want to Read:
Life Lessons (Lessons of a Student Midwife #1)

Life Lessons (Lessons of a Student Midwife #1)

For fans of "Call the Midwife", "Hard Pushed" or "This is Going to Hurt".

Violet dreams of becoming a midwife.

All that stand in her way are anxiety, self-doubt, and three years of training.

Can she overcome all obstacles and make her dreams come true?

Life Lessons is a new adult chick-lit medical drama, with splashes of clean romance.
Expect an unputdownable emotional page-t
Published July 31st 2020

To ask other readers questions about Life Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Lessons

Start your review of Life Lessons (Lessons of a Student Midwife #1)
Stjepan Cobets
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, ya-book
My rating 4.2

The book "Life Lessons (Lessons of a Student Midwife # 1) by JE Rowney is a very well written YA novel about two friends who go to their first year of college. The story is life, the author may be Midwife, if not then she certainly knows someone very well, who is engaged in this work because the scenes from the maternity ward are excellently described. The story in the book mostly follows Violet who dreams of becoming a midwife, but she is constantly underestimated even though she h
Nursebookie
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was an amazing read for me that brought me back to my days learning how to be a nurse. As a young woman trying to navigate University, clinicals in the hospital, a new career, and also dealing with all matters of friendship, young love, crushes, and all sorts of adventures and journey of self discovery, this book really resonated with me and brought me all sorts of emotion and nostalgia.

Violet and her journey in becoming a midwife while overcoming her fears, anxieties and developing he
Shalini
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was quite intrigued by the blurb, year 1 in the life of a student midwifery. Author JE Rowney was earnest in her writing, portraying every scene with the emotion that it needed.

Violet and best friend Zoé went to the same university together and shared the same flat along with a third person, Luke. This book was Violet's story and her victory over her mind-numbing anxiety attacks.

It was wonderful to see Vi embark on her dream and absolutely heart wrenching to see anxiety paralyze her brain, lea
Heidi Gallacher
Life Lessons was an absorbing and emotional read. It was also educational - there is so much I didn't know about how it is to be a midwife! This lovely story follows Vi along her journey as she learns her trade, while trying to cope with her extreme anxiety along the way. I really felt for her at times.

I especially enjoyed the banter in the shared house - including with the absent 'Andrew'. And Vi's friendship with her long-suffering but devoted pal Zoe was heart-warming.

I recommend this book an
Jena Henry
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You will enjoy getting to know Violet and her friends in Book One of the Lessons of a Student Midwife series. Violet and her best friend Zoe are off to Uni together, to study for their dream careers. Violet is in the Midwife program and Zoe is in the Teaching program. Life Lessons is the story of their first year at school.

Violet knows she wants to be a Midwife- part of something emotional, intimate and intense. She is a smart, calm, easy-going young woman. She suffers from panic attacks which
Michelle Whitham (curled_up_with_a_good_book)
Violet and Zoe are excited about starting uni and pursuing their dream careers – A teacher for Zoe and a midwife for Vi. But there’s one thing that gets in the way for Vi, and that’s the anxiety that she’s struggled with since she was eleven. Best friends since they were toddlers, Zoe has her back and will help her get through, but can Vi have the confidence in herself? Will she get to deliver a baby? And will they pass their first year?

As someone who is about to embark on their university journ
Tish smith
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Omg this book...
amazing. Feels all the feels and emotions soooo many emotions.
This is the first book that I’ve read by J.e and will definitely not be the last. I need the next in this series stat *lol* I may have had a mini tantrum when I realised there were no more pages. I was absorbed from the first to the last page.
I love J.e’s style it’s so easy going.
I loved and was able to completely relate to Vi. She and I share many similarities and she’s out doing what I wish I was confident enough
Victoria Wilks
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is written by a student midwife as she tells the story of her years of training within both college and a hospital environment.
The book is well written and really grasps your attention, and highlights he remarkable work that these individuals undertake on a daily basis.
I found the authors account of the situations throughout incredible and captivating.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Christie
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of Life Lessons from the author and I absolutely loved it. It was engaging, enlightening, and impossible to put down. It was even educational as I learned new vocabulary and lots of interesting facts about midwifery. The story is so well written that I felt like I was right there with Violet,  seeing it through her eyes. I loved the connections that the characters have with each other and I look forward to reading more about Violet and her life.  I can't wait to read Ghosted. ...more
Cair-Paravel De Loulay
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Being a midwife is something that intrigues me. A job you enjoy is not a job. Violet learns this along the ways as she grows as a midwifery student. It is a neat book.

I received a free copy from the author in return for an honest review.
Helena Huang
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is finally , a midwifery related novel that I actually enjoy . I enjoy the birth stories from many midwife books , but the midwife memoirs I’ve read before are very much bedtime stories thar lulls me to sleep. I love Call the Midwife but I don’t understand why the book was so popular, the show is great but the book wasn’t very exciting .

This book is different in that the target audience seem to be young people rather than people of the older generation . I feel like I fit right int
Heidi Lynn’s BookReviews
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it

First I want to thank J.E. Rowney and Rachel’s Random Resources for providing me with this book so I may bring this review.

J.E. Rowney sure picked the perfect name for her latest book Life Lessons. Violet definitely learned a lot about herself throughout her journey.

I was glad to see that J.E. Rowney brought awareness to Anxiety and how it can affect someone’s life. Not many authors talk about mental illnesses such as this one. I too could relate to Violet and her daily life-as I struggle wit
Natalie Kelly
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Violet and Zoe have always been the best of friends and dreamed of going to university together. Zoe wants to be a teacher whilst Violet wants to train to as a midwife. Their dreams finally come true and they embark on their first year at university together. Once there, they meet housemate Luke and quickly become a trio. Told from Violets point of view we follow her through the first year of midwifery study and training. From classroom to hospital and all the highs and lows in between. We also ...more
Veronica
Jun 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-the-nurse
She forms the two words that give the literal definition of midwife. Mid- wife: with woman.
"In France, we would be called sage-femme, which means 'wise woman.' In days gone by we would have been called witches. I know what I prefer. With woman. That is what this, your vocation, is all about: being with a woman. Supporting her. Being by her side throughout the most intimate, emotional, challenging period of her life."

(In case you were wondering, this book contains some language and mentions of al
Kevin Carlin
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is rather adorable. The two main characters, Violet and Zoe, are everything best friends should be. Their housemate Luke adds flavor to the mix. Their second housemate Andrew happens to be imaginary, but that doesn't hold him back from being as lovable as the rest of the cast.

Violet has wanted to be a midwife for as long as she can remember, and the only thing holding her back is her anxiety. She is in the very relatable position of being able to perform perfectly and without hesitatio
Sarah Price
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love that this is based on being at uni, i absolutely loved my time at Uni.

The nerves that violet gets before her presentation are just how I felt in the first few I did too. It's like I'm back at uni reading this, standing in front of my class mates trying to remember what I needed to say.

It's so like uni life and don't think it matter what course you do, student union and bar experiences, clubs and relationships are all there. Living with other people that aren't your family, washing up, co
Christina Walker-Robertson
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that I wasn't sure was my "thing" but I was looking for something easy to read and this was an automatic approval ARC so thought I'd give it a go. I'm glad I did!

It follows the life of Violet as she attends her first year midwife training at university. She's rented a room in a house with her friend from school Zoe and another student Luke. The story is set throughout her first year with her experiences with lectures, placements and friendships.

I particularly liked how the autho
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
What a beautiful story. Life lessons is book one in the lessons of a student midwife series. The story focuses on Violet and her bestie Zoe, both heading off to University. Violet to become a midwife... Violet struggles with her anxiety and we see that throughout this story and how she overcomes her anxiety.
A lot of research and time has been put into this story. As a mother reading it it brought back both of my childrens births and the lovely midwife who was training, she did a brilliant job.
Kel
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
So sad to have reached the end one minute I was at 75% and revelling in how Violet was coping and adapting and the next I'm at the end!

I loved the story of the three university students and although there was a lot of focus on everyone at the beginning this helped us get to know the main characters and as the story progressed it became much more focused on Violet.

This is a series I can't wait to read, the detail of the births and procedures is written in a factual way without complicated termino
Amanda Taylor
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a a great and relaxing read!!! I loved that it was different then my usual thrillers, mysteries, and romance reads. This book was unputdownable. It took me less then 24 hours to finish it. It kept me very interested. The author was able to convey how the main character's anxiety made life hard for her. It was written so well that I was able to understand and feel her anxiety. I liked the fact that it explained how she overcome the obstacles her anxiety caused. I also like the story of frien ...more
StaceyWare19
Aug 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: booktour-2020
Thank you to @rachelsrandomresources for inviting me on the blog tour for this book and to @jerowneywriter for allowing me to read and review your book.

This book is about Violet an 18 year old who was starting her first year at university to become a midwife.
She moves into her shared accommodation with best friend Zoe and soon to be very good friend Luke!
👶🏼
She had to battle with her low self esteem, anxiety and panic attacks but was determined not to let it overcome her and steal her dream.
Afte
Patricia Solla
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: digital-reads, arc
The housing is for 4 and they meet one roommate, Luke, but the other roommate is assumed to be forthcoming. Victoria becomes the main character in the story line. The story continues with the reader following Victoria through her placements and the training is part classwork and part following and participating with an instructor in actual midwifery. The reader learns about Victoria's life and what has happened in the past and in the present that affects her attending school. It's quite interest ...more
Anonymous 5
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my first time reading something by this author. This was an entertaining and enjoyable read. A lovely story that was compelling and emotional. The story was well-written and flowed nicely. The plot was interesting and had some plot twists and turns that made this an interesting and intriguing story. The characters were strong and and well-developed. The author did a nice job of bringing this story to life with her vivid descriptions and well-crafted scenes. I enjoyed this book and am loo ...more
Diana Febry
Oct 21, 2020 rated it liked it
A well-written book following the experiences of a young woman in her first year of university training to be a midwife.
I assume the writer is a midwife as there is are lot of details of what the training course entails. While I did find it interesting it did at times jolt me from the feeling of reading a novel.
The author captures Violet struggle with anxiety attacks and feelings of being overwhelmed very well. Some of the scenes in the house she shares with her best friend and Luke brought ba
Dee
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this eARC
Great short read about Violet a student who has just moved out of home to attend uni to study Midwifery. However Violet has had to love with crippling anxiety that starts to affect her ability to complete some of her studies but with the help of her best friend, great mentors and lecturers as well as a fierce determination to succeed Violet learns how to overcome this.
I loved the journey that Violet went on and to read about how sh
Denise Walsh
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading a book by JE Downey and will not be my last. I am hooked and cannot wait to read more of this midwife series and the emotional trek this student (Violet) goes through in her first year studying to become a midwife. Violet lives with her best friend who is attending the university too. Zoe, the best friend, helps Violet conquer her paralyzing fear of taking the tests needed to move on in the midwife course of study. The book also taught me about midwifery, a subject ...more
EssexReader92
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by JE Rowney, and I think it's safe to say that it won't be the last. With heartfelt accounts of transitioning to university life, dealing with the effects of anxiety, and the trials of training to be a midwife, you'll be hooked from the first page. This is a must read!

I received a copy of this book from the author via StoryOrigin, and I am voluntarily leaving an honest review.
BP34
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Lessons of a Student Midwife series and was a great beginning. The book is well written and easy to read. Violet was a great character and I learned a lot about the role of a midwife. A clean romance with some humor. I read an advance copy and voluntarily chose to review it.
Janet Weigel
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Delightful

This fan of “Call the Midwife” finished it in one sitting. I wanted to be a midwife myself but the training is very different in the US and midwives were not as accepted when I graduated from nursing school as they are now so I did other things. I’m still fascinated by stories of midwifery and this was a good beginning.
Helen Costello
Great insight into how a young student starts her journey into becoming a midwife. 2 friends start uni together after being life long friends. How heart warming to see both girls build each others' confidence.

I loved hearing about Violet's placements and how her work ethic pushed her on to keep achieving.
Goodreads Librari...: merge books please 4 316 Aug 27, 2020 01:36PM

• Ollie & Caroline: Trombone Twosome
  • The Heart Casts No Shadow: an otherworld story
  • The Helm of Darkness (War on the Gods, #1)
  • Cryptofauna
  • Keep Forever
  • Viking Sagas: The Captivating Tale of Ragnar Lothbrok, Ivar the Boneless, Lagertha, and More, in Their Historical Context
  • The Duke and I: The Princess of Blackmare (Liji Chronicles Book 1)
  • Down with the Dance (Middle School Mayhem #1)
  • Highlander's War Of Clans: A Scottish Medieval Historical Romance
  • Pauper King
  • Renaissance: The Limit of Infinity
  • Zip & Milly: Big Water #1-7
  • Bell Hammers
  • No Place to Die (Murder in the Keys, #1)
  • The Other Hotel
  • Her Marine Hero (Millionaire Soldier #1)
  • A Sharp Witted Bride for the Troubled Doctor
  • JULIETTE'S VAN GOGH: A Seekers After Lost Treasure Adventure
Writer.

New novel "I Can't Sleep" available now.

Visit my website for previews and further information.

"I always dreamed of being a writer, until I realised that I was. Then I started to write."