Start by marking “Night Watch (Soul Reader, #1)” as Want to Read:
Night Watch (Soul Reader, #1)

Night Watch

(Soul Reader #1)

Waking up at the foot of your own grave is no picnic... especially when you can’t remember how you got there.

Cursed with powers she can’t name, Sloane Cabot has vowed to catch the Rogue who turned her into a monster and killed her family. Too bad a broodingly hot mage is bound to keep her on the straight and narrow.

Whether she likes it or not...
Published November 17th 2020

Start your review of Night Watch (Soul Reader, #1)
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
This was better and than I was initially expecting it to be! The story was fun in a dark way. The characters are pretty interesting and did hold my attention. The narrator proved to be fantastic for this book/heroine in particular. Not every book goes with her voice (if that makes sense?). Her voice is very specific to this type of heroine (sassy, sarcastic, exaggerated personality). It was overall very entertaining and I'll be giving the next book a try! ...more
Barb Shuler
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let me just say this first... SLOAN IS MY SPIRIRT ANIMAL! Legit, this bish is a total badarsed lady.

As with any Annie Anderson book I got a whole gambit of emotions while reading. I laughed, worried and I will be honest, the cracker had me teary eyed at a point. I loved every single solitary word of this story. It's one of my faves for sure. The characters grow on you. Even though... (coughs) I wanted to punt one of them into next week. for a bit, he redeemed himself. haha.

Each new character y
Shirley Cuypers
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, arc-beta
Original review

This book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Annie Anderson!

Night Watch is the first book in the Soul Reader series and tells the story of Sloane and the night watch.

Annie Anderson has written some amazing books, and Soul Reader was definitely one of them. I really liked the story, it was really interesting and I had to know what was going to happen to Sloane. I really liked this book because it’s not something I’ve read before. I really lik

Larissa

Overall: 3/5

Plot and themes: 2/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing style: 2/5

Attention-grabbing: 3/5

Night Watch is the first in an urban fantasy series following the life of Sloane Cabot, a recently resurrected blood drinker who can't really seem to catch a break. First, she wakes up at the foot of her and her parents' grave with no memory of how she got there. Then she finds out that she requires blood to survive, which also is occasionally accompanied by the need to eat souls. And the supernatural pol

Darcy Smith
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Annie Anderson and I am throughly impressed. It is extremely well written and the characters are stunningly developed. I loved Sloan and all her kick butt attitude. She has the ability to pull it off as well. Bastian and the others add so much to the story. It is packed full of action, suspense, mystery, and drama. It is a magnificent story that keeps you glued to it and doesn’t let go. It has you keeping your nose so into the story that is put it down you feel like you ...more
Katheyer
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“One foot in front of the other. Sloane. Keep moving”

“Night Watch”, the first installment in the “Soul Reader” series by Annie Anderson, is another fantastic start into a good, solid, classic urban fantasy new series. After having reading Anderson’s “Grave Talker” Series - and enjoying it enormously - I was very expectant about this new series, whose MC is in fact (unbeknownst to her) the offspring of a grave talker and blood mage, and the book surely didn’t let me down. Sloane Emerson Cabot (FM
Katyana
I have to say, I liked this book a lot more than I liked the sister series with Darby (not that it was bad, it just was a C book where I'd give this book a B+).

Sloane is younger than Darby, but a lot more mature (odd given Darby is a homicide detective). Also a lot less emo. Sure, she's got her moments of angst, but they are more earned - she's been through the wringer, seriously - and she doesn't wallow in them.

Sloane also fights at the front, rather than standing on the sidelines with her mout
K.A. Graham
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Night Watch (Soul Reader Book 1)
by Annie Anderson

*5 stars*

Another Supernatural homerun by the Queen of everything paranormal, Annie Anderson. I'm in absolute love with this story and NEED the next installment ASAP!

Sloane wakes up, in a cemetery of all places, to a literal freak fest. One day she's alive, and the next she's drinking blood from a strangers throat.

On one of her nightly ventures, she meets a crew of characters that just might be her one and only blessings in disguise. They end up
Heather
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sloane is another great addition to Annie’s arsenal of ass kicking female leads! I love this first entry and I can’t wait to see what happens next!

Tami
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great cast of characters with cool skill sets! Sloane will steal your heart while she fights for justice, her way, until she's found by the Night Watch and asked to join their ranks. She'll keep fighting for justice, but will have someone at her back! Love this new series! Simon's cat is the bomb!!!

Dawne
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Annie Anderson has knocked it out of the ballpark again! Sloan may now replace Max as my new favorite kick a$$ heroine. What an amazing new series that I could not put down. A unique storyline that I can’t get enough of. I can’t wait for the next book!
Gale Albright
I was so excited to read this book. I love this author she is amazing and brilliant. I am hoping The Soul Reader and The Grave Talker series dovetail together at some point. I love all these characters and I appreciate how they cross over.
Peter Trist
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read

It's so great when an author comes up with a new twist in the supernatural world. Especially when it is as well written as this tale.
I'm very much looking forward to the next in the series.
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

I will admit my weaknesses are book series where you take a rogue or a mundane human and put them in a magical house with other people all fighting for a greater good. Once again Annie Anderson gave me that with Night Watch. Sloane was an amalgam of two magical beings and was a paranormal character I've never heard of before. That's why I loved this book. She made a tried and true staple of a genre we've all read and made it her own.

Sloane has no memory of how she woke up at the fo
Pauline White
May 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page one

As soon as I read the first paragraph I knew this was going to be good. I came across it by accident and am so glad I did. Its different, its riveting and im getting the next installment right now!
Katherine Paschal
Sloane wakes up on what appears to be her grave with no idea how she got there or what is going on. When she attempts to get help, she ends up attacking another person only to find out that there is a paranormal world she had no idea existed- and it seems that she is now a part of it. Sloane has no idea what happened to her still but revenge is her goal and she has a lot of motivation.

This is my second book by this author (each was a first in a series) and I have decided that she is great at wor
Lene Blackthorn
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Waking up from your grave isn't exactly an enticing memory.
Sloane lived through the death of the whole family, walking out of her grave and the cemetery only to meet her first victim - and discovering her supernatural identity. Alone and driven by righteous, strong morals, she fights the bad guys of Ascension and feeds on their blood and souls. Only when she is captured by the Night Watch, an organization that harbors more oddities than she ever met, her life changes completely.
Right from the
Kathy
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sloan Cabot wakes up on top of her grave - so vampire right? Well maybe, but whatever she is she decides to take the better path and helps people. Sloan's memories are missing or hazy, she woke up beside her parents graves and they died the same day she did and that is pretty much all she remembers. She needs to drink blood but she reads the persons soul and all their actions as she does so. Sloan uses that information to hunt down evil and help others. But she has been unknowingly upsetting a l ...more
Ani Conda
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Annie Anderson has once again took my poor book nerd soul and held it prisoner for the entirety of this book until I had devoured every last word. The pain and happiness that Sloane feels through this book were almost a physical presence in the room with you. My heart beat faster with her adrenaline and stopped with her sorrow.

Another absolute brilliant anti-heroine and merry band of misfits. The simple ties to Dead To Me were brilliant and made me want to go back and read it again. I genuinely
Stacey Rankin
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic start to the series, an urban fantasy story filled with mystery, intrigue, secrets, betrayal, deception, action, adventure and the start of potential romance. Very well written, intriguing characters with hidden depths, secrets and brilliant chemistry all wrapped up in in an imaginatively gripping storyline. Annie Anderson is a new to me author, I am looking forward to finding out what happens next in this series and also reading more of her other books.

I received a free copy of this
Suzanne Giorgione
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Everything Annie writes is fantastic! This was another amazing book that made me laugh, cry a little and cheer for the wonderful cast of characters.They are a wonderfully dysfunctional family and I can't wait to read more! This story is full of mystery, action, suspense, drama and a little treachery thrown in. Sloane is a butt kickin survivor and it will be interesting to see where the chemistry between her and Bastian goes. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily l ...more
Margarita Rose
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One moment you have your whole world planned out and the next moment you are lying in your grave as well as your parents. Who killed this family and why. What has caused Sloane to live although dead? A crazy fast paced action packed ride from one moment to the next. I am excited to see how this series will change the characters and what will happen next.

Christinaraven
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. It opens up strong and spooky and hooked me from the beginning> i had to see what was going on after that first chapter. And I was not disappointed. Sloane was a great character and she made me laugh out loud. The rest of the Night Watch crew she meets were just as amusing. I loved the bit of mystery going and cannot wait to see what is discovered next in terms of Sloane and what it means for the group. Just a great story that I devoured in one sitting as I could not put it d ...more
Michelle
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Night Watch is the first book in the Soul Reader series and I could not put this book down until the last page. From the interesting supernatural characters to the paranormal story filled with magic, mystery, suspense, action, romance and twists this is definitely a must read. I am loving Sloane, her strength, her heart, her humor and after that ending I can't wait to read the next book and find out what happens next. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book. ...more
Rhiannon Chillingworth
This was a pretty decent urban fantasy. It was a quick, but engrossing read, with decent world building and a likeable main character. Sloane managed to be sympathetic, but not whiny, which can be a hard thing to pull off and I enjoyed her chemistry with Bastian.

It's not going to stir your soul, but if you're looking for your next Urban Fantasy read then maybe give this a try. I'm moving straight onto book 2.
Caroline Doig
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sloane woke up in a cemetery she thought that she was dreaming but she looked at the newly dug grave and headstone next to her and she knew that she wasn’t dreaming, on her way to the cop station Sloane was attacked by a vampire but she was stronger and drained him dry. Sloane saw all of his memories and the innocent people he killed now she was determined to kill all of the bad guys no matter what they were. Amazing start to this new series I loved it and I definitely recommend this book.
Kelly
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Annie Anderson has hit it out of the park with this new series. I didn’t think she could top Max (previous series - I LOVED Max) but. Sloane is right up there. She writes fantastic stories that don’t stop until the very end. Even though the story ends, you know the next book will be just as good. Great character development, plenty of steam and did I mention a great heroine? Grab it now and read it! Highly recommended.
Deb
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I took s chance on an author who was new to me and I am extremely glad I did. This was a well crafted story with an intriguing world. The characters were fascinating, especially the main character who I couldn’t get enough of. Great storytelling.

Michele Weathers
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sloane is a unassuming heroine. Night Watch was amazing it was full of laughter, tears and fear. It was page turner that I was unable to put down. Annie Anderson is one of my favorite authors to read. Strong characters but especially strong women who protect their families but also have no problems asking for help. Would definitely recommend her books to family and friends.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dawn Strider (The Devil of Harrowgate, #3)
  • Bad Vampire (Cat McKenzie #1)
  • This Broken Wolf (Soul Bitten Shifter, #2)
  • Beta Wolf (Smoky Mountain Pack #2)
  • Marked (The Coldest Fae, #3)
  • Witch Undecided (The Thirteenth Sign #2)
  • Midnight Spells (Witches of Hollow Cove, #2)
  • Moment of Truth (The Potentate of Atlanta #5)
  • Reclaimed (Shadow Beast Shifters, #2)
  • Grave New World (Down & Dirty Supernatural Cleaning Services #1)
  • Reign of Night (The Duskhunter Saga #1)
  • Blood Hunt (Vampire Huntress Chronicles, #1)
  • Broken Moon (Kait Silver #1)
  • Grime and Punishment (Down & Dirty Supernatural Cleaning Services #2)
  • Bad Witch (Cat McKenzie #2)
  • Spin the Shadows (Dark and Wicked Fae, #1)
  • A Gilded Cage (Chronicles of an Urban Druid, #1)
  • Feel My Power (The Iron Fae #2)
See top shelves…
Annie Anderson is the author of the international bestselling Rogue Ethereal series. A United States Air Force veteran, Annie pens fast-paced Urban Fantasy novels filled with strong, snarky heroines and a boatload of magic. When she takes a break from writing, she can be found binge-watching The Magicians, flirting with her husband, wrangling children, or bribing her cantankerous dogs to go on a w ...more

Soul Reader (3 books)
  • Death Watch (Soul Reader, #2)
  • Grave Watch (Soul Reader, #3)