Start by marking “My Utmost for His Highest: An Updated Edition in Today's Language” as Want to Read:
My Utmost for His Highest: An Updated Edition in Today's Language

My Utmost for His Highest: An Updated Edition in Today's Language

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  55,033 Ratings  ·  727 Reviews
This edition of Oswald Chambers' golden book combines all of the features of the updated language edition while preserving the meaning and style of the author. This bestselling devotional includes complete subject and Scripture indexes along with 366 timeless, inspirational devotions in a classic but affordable hardcover binding. Ideal for both the Chambers devotee and for ...more
Published June 1st 1992 by Discovery House (first published November 30th 1926)

To ask other readers questions about My Utmost for His Highest, please sign up.
Albert Root amazing. I will read it for the rest of my years over and over again.
Sandi Yes, because it IS inspired! I will read it over and over. You may have heard not to use the words "never" and "always". For instance, "never say…moreYes, because it IS inspired! I will read it over and over. You may have heard not to use the words "never" and "always". For instance, "never say never." Well, Chambers uses both words and when he does, you pay attention!, he strikes a precious chord . . . (less)

Miriam
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I read it when I can in the evening. This is not a typical mushy coffee table devotional, not at all. In fact I usually have to read the short entries three times to grasp its meaning. There is so much to chew on with practically every word written. And it is not the easy stuff either- no fluffy emotions. This is testing of faith! No more fluffy good feelings but true inspiration for a radical life of faith.
David Johnston
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The copy of My Utmost for His Highest that I have was originally given to my son as a graduation present by the youth pastor of our Church. He left home, went to college, got married and now has a son of his own. Oswald Chamber's classic sat on our shelf for many years, unread, unappreciated and gathering dust beside an equally neglected copy of the Complete Works of Shakespeare. It was only a few months ago when I was going down to visit him and his lovely wife and the uber grandson that I ran ...more
Sheryl Tribble
This book makes me so crazy. He'll say something like, "An average view of the Christian life is that it means deliverance from trouble. It is deliverance in trouble, which is very different." (August 2) And I'll say, "Yes, and Amen." Then, two paragraphs later, he'll say, "God does not give us overcoming life; He gives us life as we over come." And I'll say, "What? No." Jesus HAS (past tense) overcome the world -- John 16:33. We don't overcome the world so much as live in that belief -- 1 John ...more
Jes
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jes by: My Mom
This devotional has put things into perspective for me so many days in a row. Oswald has a way of wording things that really gets deep down inside of you!

I have given two copies of this devotional away as gifts and I am about to give my third....it's a great gift idea, because it's really neat to be able to discuss what this means to another individual seeking christ...

Here is just one small taste of one cool exert:

Nov 30
"There is only one relationship that matters and that is your relationship
Arcyllin Arcilla
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sold-out disciples of Christ
Recommended to Arcyllin by: Raya Bambico-Llanto
After finishing this year-long devotional, the depth of my faith has tremendously deepened. I have not yet found an equal to this material. This is worth going through again for the second, third, even fourth time!
Mark Uncommon Valor
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional
" Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free . . . " ( Galatians 5:1 ).

A spiritually-minded person will never come to you with the demand . . . " Believe this and that " ; a spirtually-minded person will demand that you align your life with the standards of Jesus. We are not asked to believe the Bible , but believe the One whom the Bible reveals (see John 5:39-40 ). We are called to present liberty for the conscience of others, not to bring them liberty for their though
Olivia Jarmusch
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much a must read for every Christian at some stage in their lives! It's a full one year devo, which you can go through time and time again! I would definitely recommend it for quiet time with the Lord! <3
Rob
Apr 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shelved, christianity
Going throught this in a small group setting. I recommend this method so that more meat is in the lessons. There is much there but the way the general points are made may take some Scripture out of context or focus on one point that is not really the purpose.
We are on 14 Jan...once a week study.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
In order to have written the most successful review for this book, I should have started with Day 1 and wrote something about each entry every day. Sadly, I didn't do that. So I'll just do my best to write a summary of my thoughts of this devotional over the year-long experience of reading it. I hope that any reader of this review finds that helpful.

Oswald Chambers is a man who definitely had an ongoing encounter with God. His thoughts tap into every aspect of the experience of following Christ
Debbie Phillips
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Christians, older teen and up
Recommended to Debbie by: Kassel
Shelves: spiritual
So... how did I like this book??? I gave it 4 stars out of 5 and I sticky noted 48 pages out of the 365 days as my favorites! I would say that is pretty good. I did not give it 5 stars because I have to admit that some of the devotionals just didn't apply to me and some I was left dumbfounded by. Some of those that I didn't understand my hubby was able to explain to me. I am thankful that we read this together or I probably would have quit before we finished, and there were some gems in those la ...more
Nathan Eilers
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Christians
Recommended to Nathan by: Dan, Lisa, et al.
This was the best book I read in 2009, and I couldn’t choose any other. This is a stellar book and an especially good book of devotions. Chambers consistently and insistently reminds the reader of the powerful reality of the Redemption, and he bases all of what he writes on this one fundamental truth. The result of this is daily writings on the Christian walk that are permeated with power and hope.

My Utmost came recommended to me by everyone who had ever read it. Now I add my voice to the choir
Brent McCulley
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional, favorites
A masterpiece devotional writer, and excellent evangelist and teacher, Oswald Chambers has become near and dear to so many Christian families with the enduring "My Utmost for His Highest." Arguably the most popular classic devotional of all time, there is a reason why Oswald is read and beloved by so many saints around the world.

Each day is a new topic, with a specific scripture wherein Oswald not only leaves plenty of spiritual milk to drink, but also tons of spiritual meat to chew. Each senten
Susanne
If Christians are to read only one book *ever* on Christian formation, this book is the one to read. The wisdom of Oswald Chambers' famed My Utmost for His Highest is spread out over 365 daily readings. I started this journey on the first day of 2016 and finished it today, the final day.

Written in 1935, the language is a bit archaic, but at the same time, the old-fashioned words and wordings raises this book out of the ordinary into the extraordinary. It's an otherworldly book--there's no other
Bill
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
- This book makes you look at yourself, think, and act.
- If you are typical, you will use this book every day for the rest of your life!
- No book, except the Bible, has influenced my walk with Christ at such a deep and maturing level.
- This book constantly reminds me that the ground of faith and experience is the person of Jesus Christ. The basis of faith is always Jesus Christ Himself.

- These daily readings have been selected from various sources; chiefly from the lectures given at the Bible Tr
Clay Winters
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rarely do I come across a daily devotional which offers the wisdom and insight that My Utmost provides. Coming from an author who died early into the 20th century, the journal entries seem to jump off the pages in overall relevance and knowledge that is current to today's worldly affairs. Oswald Chambers was gifted with extracting the essence of biblical principles and condensing them into potent, thought-provoking, and life-changing devotions. They say it takes close to 3 weeks(or 21 days) to d ...more
Libby Baker Sweiger
This is the best devotional book I have ever read. Along with my bible it is going to remain a staple in my devotions from here on out. It is so well written and so real...guiding one to giving their all to God. I read it through, but I will keep it out to read one devotion each day along with my Bible reading, which is how I believe it is mean to be used.

Oswald Chambers' walk with God is so close and so real and down to earth he conveys this so well in this beautiful book, it brings home the p
Paula
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who want to grow closer to Christ
When it comes to devotionals, I always return to this one and have read through it several times. Oswald Chambers doesn't pussyfoot around and let you remain "average." For him, you must be DEVOTED to Christ and to Christ alone.

_______________________________

Another year with Oswald Chambers' classic edition of his best known work. It's still worthy of 5 stars. During 2018, I'll be reading a copy of the updated version which I found in a thrift store.
Nathan Parker
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic devotional from Oswald Chambers. Every Christian should read this. It has been a true blessing during my devotional time with the Lord.
Jenna Leigh
My mom bought this somewhere, but she has never really read it because she already has a couple of devotionals that she loves (Springs in the Valley & Streams in the Desert) - so I just went ahead and stole it from her! I've been reading it for the past week or so, and I'm really enjoying it. It cuts straight to the heart of the matter at hand. It tells it like it is... just good, Bible-based truth. I've tried reading Streams in the Desert before, and although that one has always been close ...more
Tom
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, devotional
Showing my spiritual immaturity and literary ignorance, I only learned about this masterpiece through working with the Billy Graham Evangelism Association in raising funds for the 1993 Pittsburgh Crusade. What a wonderful time and this was but one of the jewels found during this experience. This is one of the world's great books. Surely one belonging in the "classics" category. It is the all-time "best-seller" among Christian devotionals.

And the story of how Chambers' widow was called and perfe
Rebekah
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, devotional
1/1/16: I was given this book as a graduation present (way back in 2002) by my youth pastor. I have read random pages over the years but never cover to cover. This year on top of reading the entire Bible I will be using this book as my devotional. From time to time I will add to this review my thoughts on readings that really speak to me.

1/7/16: Yesterday I overslept and had to rush out the door and skipped the reading- thinking I'd make sure to pick it up the second I got home. Well that didn'
Tim Kruse
Sep 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hungry Christians
Compiled by his wife, (he burned all of his personal writings) this collection of sermons and talks from her verbatim short-hand notes are very inspirational.

The profound depth of these writings goes beyond philosophies developed by a man. These are the writings of one who has experienced true, transforming relationship with the Creator of All in every area of life.

Its practicality is almost a hindrance in understanding it to me. I read it to find some deep spiritual meaning, and find that what
Kavin Kramer
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Today I finish one of the world's most popular devotionals. It lives up to the hype and goes far beyond. This past year has been one of the most I've grown, primarily because of family, and this devotional has been a valuable contributor speaking wisdom each day.

"The most impossible thing to you is that you should be so identified with the Lord that there is nothing of the old life left. He will do it if you ask Him. But we have to come to the place where we believe Him to be almighty. Faith is
Philip
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great friend and missionary once recommended this work to me when I was but a teenager. I had never heard of it before, but picked it up with great vigor. Although Chambers' theology is a bit funky from time to time, he hits the mark more often than not. Chambers has a unique insight into the heart of man and applies Scripture to the hearts and motives of his readers. This is not a book for those who would like to read a little and then continue in a life unchanged by the Word. No, this is a b ...more
Sue
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A small devotional that packs a big punch. The introduction states that they are excerpts from lectures given at a Bible Training College. If these are excerpts...wow....I wonder what the entire messages were like. Although each entry is short (the dimensions of the book are about 4x6), there is enough meat in each entry to give you plenty of food for thought during the day. It is easily something that could be followed for a year and then start right back at the beginning again with it being j ...more
Katie Van
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this devotional every morning for 7 years, until it was so familiar that I didn't need to read certain days because they had been imprinted on me. I still find myself quoting or referring to MUFHH, and have notes in the margins of my first bible of MUFHH with a date when I would make connections between a truth highlighted by Oswald and what I learned in Scripture. What a blessing - it really shaped my theology and grounded me in the Lord as a new believer. It was the perfect length read ...more
Greg Wendschlag
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read My Utmost for His Highest almost daily for over 25 years. God still speaks to me through this powerful devotional. I prefer the beauty of the older english version. I've even had my original copy recovered!! A must for every person hungry to grow in Christ. But you must have a sensitive spiritual heart because the devotionals will touch every tender spot!
Nicole
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this devotional every few years, and 2016 was the perfect time to revisit. I love this book. It's rich and layered and filled with wisdom. Each devotional is short, but the depth of knowledge and insight is profound.
Dawn Michelle
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a really good daily devotional
Recommended to Dawn Michelle by: Joy

I am so grateful to my friend Joy who gave this to me for my b'day; I have loved reading through it this year and applying the truths I have read within its pages. I will be using this again; such a great devotional. I highly recommend this!
Chris
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the best daily devotional I've ever read. Every day brings something deep and meaty and somehow always relates to where I'm at that day. This book has helped me tremendously with my daily walk.
InHisCare Reading...: PRAYER FOR THIS WEEK 1 4 Nov 20, 2013 04:51PM
Mansfield Public ...: My Utmost for His Highest Review by Joanna Auriantal 1 5 Jul 23, 2013 10:34AM
  • Streams in the Desert
  • Morning and Evening, Based on the English Standard Version
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • The Pursuit of Holiness
  • How Now Shall We Live?
  • The Practice of the Presence of God
  • Foxe's Book of Martyrs
  • The Knowledge of the Holy
Oswald Chambers was born to devout parents in Aberdeen, Scotland. At age 16, Oswald Chambers was baptized and became a member of Rye Lane Baptist Chapel. Even as a teenager, Chambers was noted for his deep spirituality, and he participated in the evangelization of poor occupants of local lodging houses. Oswald married Gertrude in May 1910, and on May 24, 1913, Gertrude gave birth to their only chi ...more
More about Oswald Chambers

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis
    $13.99 $1.99
“Have you been asking God what He is going to do? He will never tell you. God does not tell you what He is going to do; He reveals to you Who He is.” 197 likes
“The most important aspect of Christianity is not the work we do, but the relationship we maintain and the surrounding influence and qualities produced by that relationship. That is all God asks us to give our attention to, and it is the one thing that is continually under attack.” 94 likes