Start by marking “A Writing Kind of Day: Poems for Young Poets” as Want to Read:
A Writing Kind of Day: Poems for Young Poets

A Writing Kind of Day: Poems for Young Poets

Boyds Mills Press publishes a wide range of high-quality fiction and nonfiction picture books, chapter books, novels, and nonfiction
Published April 1st 2005 by WordSong (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Writing Kind of Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Writing Kind of Day

Start your review of A Writing Kind of Day: Poems for Young Poets
Matthew JEFF
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I love this book because it talks about things I can relate to in different ways. Some of them i can think of fun and some i can think of scary my favorite one is
Tessa Duncan
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poems, grandma, alzheimers
A book of poetry that focuses on his family and life experiences. Ralph Fletcher works in stories about his family, including his grandmother who suffered from Alzheimer's. The poem Memory Loss talks directly about his grandma and her struggle. Bill of Sale talks about slavery and the horrors around selling children. A must buy.
Royce B
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I sort of liked the book because it was fun and funny. This book would probably be 4th grade and up because there are words hard to understand. There were poems that rhyme and poems that didn't rhyme. Each author had their own idea which made each poem unique. Happy Reading!!!
Maudie
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre:Poetry
Grade:2-4
This book is filled with a lot of poems about the authors grandma and his life and all the emotions he felt at the time. This is a good way to introduce poetry to kids. They are easy to understand and short enough for kids to read without getting lost.
Morgan Little
This poetry book covers a number of different topics including family and school while also mentioning literary devices that are helpful for writing poems. I would recommend this book for children in 2nd grade and up.
Don
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting short collection of random poems. Geared toward young poets, the book showed that you can make a poem out of nearly any subject and it was an enjoyable quick read.
J & J
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This wasn't what I had in mind but for the intended audience, I'd give it a 3.5
Annburnett
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Really like the poetry in this book. Good read for everyone.
Liz Garden
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great collection to use with students! And since it's a cold, wet day...it's a good day to read poems and write some!
Vanessa
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great little poetry book!
Emily Kinsman
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
12/2
Poem
1st-4th
I don't usually like poetry but this book is filled with all kinds of them! Written and decorated differently, I was very entertained through the book! Very cute and silly!
Kris
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This introduces a bunch of different styles of poetry and demonstrates that poetry can be written on a wide array of topics. Great for the intended audience.
Kim
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, sweet poems for children.
Katie
Apr 10, 2010 added it
Shelves: poetry-books
Genre: Poetry

Number of pages: 32

Grade level/age: 3rd-8th grade

Theme: writing process

Summary:
This is the day to write! Ralph Fletcher takes his readers on a journey to discover the process of writing poems. Expressing that poems do not always have to rhyme; but they can. They do not always have to be funny, they can be serious too.

Personal Response:
At first, I did not like this book. I thought that the words in his poems did not play with each other enough to be considered a poem. H
Srb
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-unit
This book is written as a collection of poems that almost tells the story of a boy throughout the course of a day. Although it isn't for certain that it is one day, it starts with a beginning of day poem and finishes with a nighttime poem, so one could assume that the events could have all occurred in the course of a single day.

I think this book is powerful for students because they can explore different elements of poetry through the eyes of a peer writing poetry. They can learn about white spa
Esther Choi
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This poetry book teaches how to write poetry from nothing. It goes over parts of speech, writer’s block, five-paragraph essays, metaphor, the creative process, etc. All the poems in this book have multiple layers of meaning. Some were written about the most random things. The message of the author is that anything can be poetry. It would be really good to use with students in 5th and 6th grade when they are learning that poems don't always have to rhyme, and that anything with emotion and feelin ...more
Beth
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: poetry lovers, teachers teaching poetry
Fabulous poetry collection. I love how the poems in this book are about writing poems and the joys and frustrations that come from it. Definitely a collection I would love to add to my classroom library.
Relyn
Oct 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
I discovered Ralph Fletcher through a book called Grandpa Never Lies. I used it to teach visualizing because his words were so lyrical. As I explored more of his work, I discovered that he is a poet. I've been enjoying his work so much and am eager to share it with my students.
This book helps students get into the art of writing poetry. From this book students can get ideas and see actual poems written. They can learn about different styles of poetry and they can realize that you can write a poem about anything really.
Bethe
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
Great collection of poems, many on the process of writing poems and the usage of figurative language. Particularly poignant are the poems about his grandma an the snow angel. Hungry For Poetry, The Wordpecker, and Venus Flytrap Rap made me laugh. Wish this book was still available from the vendor.
Joanna Liska
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to use this with young poets!!! Thank you Ralph!
Ms. Brown
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful, funny, sad. These poems make me want to write my own!

Ralph Fletcher is my new favourite poet.
Ryan
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great for figurative language and close reads for poetry.
Jimmy
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I loved about these poems was how Fletcher made them seem like they were written by a young child. He's made a living just focusing on kids and poetry. His positive reputation is well deserved.
Alexa
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I don't often read poetry books, but this was really good! Proves you can write a poem about just about anything
Taylor Darst
The book is full of poems that are fun to read with the children. Most of the poems are rhyming so they are fun to read.
Megan Staten
This is a collection of poetry about writing. Some of them rhyme, which would be a great way to instruct children. The poems also show how every piece of writing has a purpose.
Jamie Tedesco
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, journey
This would be a good example to use to show that every writing has a purpose and that that purpose can change or even be interpreted in many ways.
Melanie
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
My kids and I really enjoyed these clever poems.
Debra
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved thid short poem book and think it would be a great gift for a young reader.
John Green- Book Review #2 1 1 Jun 15, 2018 09:09AM

• With My Hands: Poems About Making Things
  • Tap Dancing on the Roof: Sijo
  • The Undefeated
  • The Red Pencil
  • Westward to Home (My America: Joshua's Oregon Trail Diary, #1)
  • Ruth Objects: The Life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A World War 2 Soldier
  • I Am Human: A Book of Empathy
  • I Am Love: A Book of Compassion
  • The North Star
  • If We Were Giants
  • Layoverland
Ralph Fletcher is a friend of young writers and readers as well as writing teachers. He has written or co-authored many books for writing teachers includng Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide, Teaching the Qualities of Writing, Lessons for the Writer's Notebook, Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices, and Pyrotechnics on the Page: Playful Craft That Sparks Writing. Ralph has worked with teachers a ...more