Start by marking “Rooster's Off to See the World” as Want to Read:
Rooster's Off to See the World

Rooster's Off to See the World

One fine morning, a rooster sets off to see the world. Soon he's joined by two cats, then three frogs, then four turtles, then five fish. But one group by one, his new friends decide to head home, leaving the rooster alone again -- and ready to return to his own comfortable home as well. Bold, colorful collage illustrations, a beguiling story, and a simple introduction to ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Aladdin (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Rooster's Off to See the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rooster's Off to See the World

Start your review of Rooster's Off to See the World
Melki
Carle's artwork is, as always, lovely, but there's a rather cryptic message here. Rooster sets out on a voyage, only to throw in the towel and return to the coop. What are we to gather? Accept your limitations? Never dare to dream?

And speaking of having one's dreams crushed by a tiny fist:

2017 is the Year of the Rooster.

How appropriate! The year of the strutting cock!

description

I guess this is why I feel as though the sky is falling.
Matt
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rooster is eager to go on an adventure around the world and gathers a number of friends to join him. At each stop, a larger number of animals join the posse in search of adventure. However, when night falls and there is no food or a place to sleep, friends turn away and return home, leaving Rooster to fend for himself. In the end, he does the only thing he can do and makes the most of his journey. Neo liked the book, more for the drawings by Eric Carle than the actual story. But, as a budding re ...more
Hilary
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
A counting book that didn't really make sense to me, I couldn't see why some things were happening in the story. The anecdote at the end explained that when Eric was small he couldn't apply the same logic to others with counting. This didn't work for me.

Read on open library
Candace
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rooster decides he wants to travel and see the world. He gets lonely and meets two cats. They join the rooster on his travels. Along the way, three frogs, four turtles and five fish join the rooster. When night falls and they don't have food and shelter, the rooster's companions all head to their homes, leaving the rooster all alone. What will the rooster do next?

The illustrations are vibrant and vivid collage drawings. This book teaches numbers and number sets. It can be read for the story al
Shawn Deal
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Here is a clever counting book about a rooster traveling who meets up with multiple friends. Then as night comes the friends leave and you count backwards. Very nice and clever.
Bookishrealm
This was beautiful and colorful and I absolutely loved how much detail went into the drawing of the characters. Rooster definitely learns his lesson about straying to far from home with no plan, goals, or sense of ambition. haha It was a cute story and most definitely one that I would read again.
Mary
Jun 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book seems pointless to me. Don't make a plan, go on an adventure, hit an obstacle, and give up.
Trent Ross
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it
So... I hate to spoil a predictable kids book but: I thought the roster should have followed through on his plan. What kind of lesson is this teaching children that you can just decide to do something and then not do it? Won't always have that luxury in life. If you make a plan don't back out half way. See it through. Come on Eric Carle I expected better from you.
John
May 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
My daughter thought that she was really grown up when she could both read and do the maths in this book.
Sara Jones
The rooster is PRETTY... I like the illustrations a lot. The story is kinda lame, but it's written with a math concepts agenda, so it serves a valuable purpose.
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love Eric Carle's way of teaching subject matter (numbers/math, colors, etc) with fun, light stories that kids can relate to.
Katie Lewellen
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my favorite authors. This tale has a wonderful story line. This would be a perfect book to help teach counting to students.
Lindsey Bishop
Shows animals coming and going. Pictures look like brown bear book pictures. Unique and colorful.
Lauren Labrum
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book starts off with a rooster wanting to travel the world. As he begins his journey he feels lonely. So he ends up meeting friends along the way to travel with him. First he meets two cats, then three frogs, then four turtles, and then five fish. Well the plan wasn't a well thought out plan so the five fish thought it would be best to leave and go home. Soon after, the turtles followed, then the frogs, and then last but not least the cats. So what did the rooster do? Did he go home too? W ...more
Jo Oehrlein
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, math
Features the beautiful illustrations we expect from Eric Carle.

Rooster is off to see the world.
Along the way he picks up 2 cats, 3 frogs, 4 turtles, and 5 fish.
Then, they encounter the problem of food and shelter. 10 fireflies scare them.

First the 5 fish leave, then the 4 turtles, then the 3 frogs, and finally the 2 cats. We're left with just Rooster.

The numbers never appear, just the number words. However, there's a neat feature in the upper right-hand corner of each two page spread where it sh
Rosa Cline
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, 2017
a rooster sets off to see the world; and along the way he finds various friends to go with him. As the sun goes down and the moon comes up they then realize they have forgotten to bring anything to eat or anything to use to sleep with so little by little they all turn back and realize their home isn't as bad as they thought in the beginning. The illustrations are great and this is a great counting book as each page and animal is counting like the first set is '2" turtles, then the next is '3" ca ...more
Meredith
Rooster leaves the farm to see the world, followed by other animals.

This picture book was perhaps inspired by the idiom don’t go off half-cocked, the predecessor to the modern saying don’t go in unprepared. One morning on a whim, Rooster sets off to see the world. He is soon joined by other animals. When night falls, they find themselves cold, hungry, and afraid because having acted on impulse, none had made plans for food and shelter. The group then disperses in reverse order and returns home.

T
Selina
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One fine morning, a rooster sets off to see the world. Soon he's joined by two cats, then three frogs, then four turtles, then five fish. But one group by one, his new friends decide to head home. The rooster is once again left alone, but also ready to return to his home. I think Eric Carle did a great job incoportating animals and counting into this story for young children, and of course the illustrations were phenomenal.
Dave
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story from that caterpillar guy. Loved the paintings, and the concept is great to teach kids counting and inspire travelling. Which makes the ending kind of a downer. Why not have the rooster brave enough to continue on his own and end up in a more exciting place than going back home? (Hypothetical, because I know the answer. “Don’t venture too far from home.” The Wizard of Oz did this too).

8/10
Lindsay
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eric Carle is a childhood favorite and his stories and illustrations are what sets him apart from other children's authors. This book was great for my kindergartener to read and he really enjoyed the story. Rooster finds friends as he travels, but many of the animals soon realize that they miss home.
Pug
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tina Sorensen
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful travel story for a child who loves to travel. The rooster's travels aren't as productive as he sets out to be. This makes it have a twist that intrigues the little ones. I could read this book and enjoy the artwork without feeling bored...as is sometimes the case when you read the same story over and over and over.
Becki Iverson
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This has some of the most lush, stunning illustrations I've seen to-date in Carle's work. I did think the story was a little less creative than usual. However, this has Carle's trademark learning, this one with an extremely clever way to teach adding and subtraction. It's for slightly older readers and still really lovely.
Nicholas Mennel
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Modern Fantasy
K-3rd
Rooster is a character that appeals to every child's sense of adventure, and for this reason I recommend it for every hoe and classroom. I like how the rooster acquired more and more friends throughout his journey, and I think this teaches us that to gain new friends, we just have to reach out.
Breon Randon
Another clever, beautifully illustrated addition to the Carle universe.
Awesome combo of gorgeous colors, fun animals, and counting games, with the unepected introduction of animal group-think HAHAHAH
Kathryn Bergeron
Rooster wants to see the world. He brings his friends, too.

Review: I don't love Eric Carle. Still, I really liked the illustration of the rooster. He's super cool. The rest of the book is fine, I think.
Melissa Namba
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dnamba
A cute book that introduces addition and subtraction in very small numbers. It is also a social commentary on friendship. I like that the tally is kept in the top right hand corner as he adds friends on the top left hand when he loses them. The artwork is good, as expected.
Corban
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked it because Rooster wanted to go see the world, but he was lonely so he asked some friends to go with, and at the end of the time, it was dark and all the friends went home, and he said to the moon "I am lonely", but the moon left too. It was kinda sad.
Karla Winick-Ford
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't love this more

Always a fan of Carle... but this does not disappoint. Perfect message for young listeners. I especially liked how the story added photos then removed them- unique and a talking point with little ones.

This lends itself well to geography studies.
Colleen McCormack
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
A fun book with really fun pictures! I liked that this book incorporated other animals for kids to learn, as well as teaching them numbers and how to count, which is a lot of fun for one book to do.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Turtle Splash!: Countdown at the Pond
  • Millions of Cats
  • The Storm Whale
  • Hug Machine
  • Splat the Cat: I Scream for Ice Cream (I Can Read Level 1)
  • Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
  • Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!
  • The Foolish Tortoise
  • Big Red Barn
  • Madeline's Rescue
  • Rosie's Walk
  • The Little House
  • Bulldozer's Big Day
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more

News & Interviews