Start by marking “Rooster's Off to See the World” as Want to Read:
Rooster's Off to See the World

Rooster's Off to See the World

One fine morning, a rooster sets off to see the world. Soon he's joined by two cats, then three frogs, then four turtles, then five fish. But one group by one, his new friends decide to head home, leaving the rooster alone again -- and ready to return to his own comfortable home as well. Bold, colorful collage illustrations, a beguiling story, and a simple introduction to ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Aladdin (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Rooster's Off to See the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rooster's Off to See the World

Melki
Carle's artwork is, as always, lovely, but there's a rather cryptic message here. Rooster sets out on a voyage, only to throw in the towel and return to the coop. What are we to gather? Accept your limitations? Never dare to dream?

And speaking of having one's dreams crushed by a tiny fist:

2017 is the Year of the Rooster.

How appropriate! The year of the strutting cock!

description

I guess this is why I feel as though the sky is falling.
Matt
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rooster is eager to go on an adventure around the world and gathers a number of friends to join him. At each stop, a larger number of animals join the posse in search of adventure. However, when night falls and there is no food or a place to sleep, friends turn away and return home, leaving Rooster to fend for himself. In the end, he does the only thing he can do and makes the most of his journey. Neo liked the book, more for the drawings by Eric Carle than the actual story. But, as a budding re ...more
Shawn Deal
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Here is a clever counting book about a rooster traveling who meets up with multiple friends. Then as night comes the friends leave and you count backwards. Very nice and clever.
Bookishrealm
This was beautiful and colorful and I absolutely loved how much detail went into the drawing of the characters. Rooster definitely learns his lesson about straying to far from home with no plan, goals, or sense of ambition. haha It was a cute story and most definitely one that I would read again.
Mary
Jun 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
This book seems pointless to me. Don't make a plan, go on an adventure, hit an obstacle, and give up.
Trent Ross
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it
So... I hate to spoil a predictable kids book but: I thought the roster should have followed through on his plan. What kind of lesson is this teaching children that you can just decide to do something and then not do it? Won't always have that luxury in life. If you make a plan don't back out half way. See it through. Come on Eric Carle I expected better from you.
Lindsey Bishop
Shows animals coming and going. Pictures look like brown bear book pictures. Unique and colorful.
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love Eric Carle's way of teaching subject matter (numbers/math, colors, etc) with fun, light stories that kids can relate to.
John
May 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
My daughter thought that she was really grown up when she could both read and do the maths in this book.
Katie Lewellen
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my favorite authors. This tale has a wonderful story line. This would be a perfect book to help teach counting to students.
Sara Jones
The rooster is PRETTY... I like the illustrations a lot. The story is kinda lame, but it's written with a math concepts agenda, so it serves a valuable purpose.
Lauren Labrum
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book starts off with a rooster wanting to travel the world. As he begins his journey he feels lonely. So he ends up meeting friends along the way to travel with him. First he meets two cats, then three frogs, then four turtles, and then five fish. Well the plan wasn't a well thought out plan so the five fish thought it would be best to leave and go home. Soon after, the turtles followed, then the frogs, and then last but not least the cats. So what did the rooster do? Did he go home too? W ...more
Jo Oehrlein
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, math
Features the beautiful illustrations we expect from Eric Carle.

Rooster is off to see the world.
Along the way he picks up 2 cats, 3 frogs, 4 turtles, and 5 fish.
Then, they encounter the problem of food and shelter. 10 fireflies scare them.

First the 5 fish leave, then the 4 turtles, then the 3 frogs, and finally the 2 cats. We're left with just Rooster.

The numbers never appear, just the number words. However, there's a neat feature in the upper right-hand corner of each two page spread where it sh
Rosa Cline
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, kids
a rooster sets off to see the world; and along the way he finds various friends to go with him. As the sun goes down and the moon comes up they then realize they have forgotten to bring anything to eat or anything to use to sleep with so little by little they all turn back and realize their home isn't as bad as they thought in the beginning. The illustrations are great and this is a great counting book as each page and animal is counting like the first set is '2" turtles, then the next is '3" ca ...more
Selina
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One fine morning, a rooster sets off to see the world. Soon he's joined by two cats, then three frogs, then four turtles, then five fish. But one group by one, his new friends decide to head home. The rooster is once again left alone, but also ready to return to his home. I think Eric Carle did a great job incoportating animals and counting into this story for young children, and of course the illustrations were phenomenal.
Dave
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story from that caterpillar guy. Loved the paintings, and the concept is great to teach kids counting and inspire travelling. Which makes the ending kind of a downer. Why not have the rooster brave enough to continue on his own and end up in a more exciting place than going back home? (Hypothetical, because I know the answer. “Don’t venture too far from home.” The Wizard of Oz did this too).

8/10
Pug
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lindsay
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eric Carle is a childhood favorite and his stories and illustrations are what sets him apart from other children's authors. This book was great for my kindergartener to read and he really enjoyed the story. Rooster finds friends as he travels, but many of the animals soon realize that they miss home.
Kathryn Bergeron
Rooster wants to see the world. He brings his friends, too.

Review: I don't love Eric Carle. Still, I really liked the illustration of the rooster. He's super cool. The rest of the book is fine, I think.
Breon Randon
Another clever, beautifully illustrated addition to the Carle universe.
Awesome combo of gorgeous colors, fun animals, and counting games, with the unepected introduction of animal group-think HAHAHAH
Karla Winick-Ford
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't love this more

Always a fan of Carle... but this does not disappoint. Perfect message for young listeners. I especially liked how the story added photos then removed them- unique and a talking point with little ones.

This lends itself well to geography studies.
Melissa Namba
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dnamba
A cute book that introduces addition and subtraction in very small numbers. It is also a social commentary on friendship. I like that the tally is kept in the top right hand corner as he adds friends on the top left hand when he loses them. The artwork is good, as expected.
Corban
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked it because Rooster wanted to go see the world, but he was lonely so he asked some friends to go with, and at the end of the time, it was dark and all the friends went home, and he said to the moon "I am lonely", but the moon left too. It was kinda sad.
Christa
May 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think the message of this book is “Don’t forget anything while planning a trip or you’ll die alone.”
Savana Cervantes
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Number concept.
Counting -- Juvenile fiction.
Chickens -- Juvenile fiction.
N
This is just supposed to be a counting up and down book for early readers, but it also shows rooster giving up on his dreams because his friends bailed.
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute book to help children with numbers.
Lee Ann
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Carle's artwork is great, no matter the tale. 3/5 stars.
Mommy Dont Change
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book they travel to different places
Elizabeth
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
ATOS 3.3

• The Greedy Python
  • The Lamb and the Butterfly
  • Ten Black Dots
  • Quack and Count
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • Boom Chicka Rock
  • Can You Say Peace?
  • Anno's Counting Book
  • Amanda Bean's Amazing Dream
  • 2 X 2 = Boo!: A Set of Spooky Multiplication Stories
  • What Mommies Do Best / What Daddies Do Best
  • Ten in the Bed
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Ten, Nine, Eight
  • Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack: An Alphabetical Adventure
  • The Umbrella
  • Max's Dragon Shirt
  • Grandma, Grandpa, and Me
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more