Start by marking “The New American Chef: Cooking with the Best of Flavors and Techniques from Around the World” as Want to Read:

America's leading authorities on ten influential cuisines offer a master class on authentic flavors and techniques from around the world
Today's professional chefs have the world to use as their pantry and draw freely on a global palette of flavors. Now Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page bring together some of the foremost culinary authorities to reveal how to use different
Published November 5th 2003 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about The New American Chef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New American Chef

Start your review of The New American Chef: Cooking with the Best of Flavors and Techniques from Around the World
Donalyn
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
[I should note that the authors gifted me with a preview copy of this book, after seeing my tweets regarding "The Flavor Bible"]

I actually don't use a lot of cookbooks - I have a few old standbys, but for the most part, I just experiment with flavors on my own. I do like seeing what interesting stuff chefs are coming up with though, so I enjoyed flipping through this book. I have referred to it quite a lot and find that it is quite accessible in terms of finding a good idea pretty quickly.
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Don't be put off by the title - it's not a textbook for chefs. This is a great resource for the enthusiastic home cook who is interested in cooking authentic meals from Mexico, Spain, France, Japan, China, and others. Includes recipes but it's really about the information.

All along I've been thinking Italian food is what I love to cook...but after reading this, I realized that it's really the flavors of Spain I'm excited about. And I'm inspired to try Japanese cuisine now...the book made it
Kierstin
May 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting information about regional food originations, but too few recipes to warrant the space on the book shelf.
Micko Ortiz Amar
May 30, 2011
Buulinh Liu
May 25, 2016
Karen Page
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
John
Shane
Oct 01, 2015
Callie Moon
Oct 03, 2015
Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg have been called the brightest young author team on the culinary scene today's on NPR. Their previous books Becoming a Chef, Dining Out, and The New American Chef have all been finalists for or winners of James Beard and/or IACP Book Awards.

Their landmark book Culinary Artistry, the first- known reference on culinary composition and flavor compatibility,