Start by marking “The X: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The X: A Novel

The X: A Novel

AMERICA, ABANDONED.

Environmental and economic turmoil forces the United States to consolidate its borders, leaving nearly 2/3 of the country abandoned.

One year after moving from Colorado to New Mexico to comply with the Sunbelt Relocation Act, Leo Kline gets the itch to explore abandoned America and convinces his wife, Nova, to join him.

After a surreal day walking the dese
Paperback
Published April 30th 2020

To ask other readers questions about The X, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The X

Start your review of The X: A Novel
Caroline Steytler
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The characters are relatable.

The main character’s life is stagnant and when a friend makes a suggestion to go beyond the wall, he makes a decision that will change his life forever.

In an attempt at reclaiming some excitement he suggests a road trip which quickly sours and tragedy strikes.

An enjoyable read and one I’d recommend.
Jukka Tanner
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A refreshing story, well written from start to finish. I rarely get to read books that grip so well I suddenly notice it’s 3 am. The world is fascinating and the author cleverly implements the possibilites such world allows him to. And there’s room for more stories in that world. Thank you mr. Walker.
Mantis Tsai
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
The X is a plenty good tale overall, there’s no doubt about that. You can feel the scenes shift as the book progresses; instead of feeling like a movie with rampant jumpcuts and cutscenes, the flow stays unbroken throughout the story. The occasional memories and flashbacks don’t feel out of place despite this though. They’re introduced gently and convincingly rather than shoved down the reader’s throat.
The same, however, cannot be said for the odd philosophical, preachy passages where the protag
Brynn
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really fascinating story, especially interesting during these unprecedented times where we are questioning our world’s future. The X is different from typical dystopian tales. I found the whole situation of the United States believable and the characters relatable and interesting. The author’s writing gave them great, unique, believable personalities, which is really important to me in a novel.

I will say, the focus on Leo’s Buddhist beliefs seemed heavy in some parts. Although it was an intere
Bryan Campbell
Good but misguided politics

Good dystopia plot and characters. A little slow in places.

Author felt compelled to throw his liberal political views into character development (gay) which added nothing of value to the story line. Also cast conservatives as the villains because he thinks socialism is a fair, workable economic system, when it is actual a road to dictatorship.

I hope he and other authors can execute their literary art without having to inject their politics in to their fiction so blata
Alice
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story with a rather abrupt ending. I was hoping there'll be some resolution in Leo getting his child

I looked forward to some type of ending where Leo is able to get the children out. In a way, the ending leaves the story hanging . Is the author planning a sequel?
Ammon
Dec 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
For a first time author I found this book to be compelling! I found the plot to be intriguing, and I could connect with the characters emotions.
Bill Saur
May 22, 2020
Audrey Dearborn
Oct 31, 2020

• The Girl Who Lived
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Order (Gabriel Allon #20)
  • Sorry I Missed You
  • Legacy of Lies (Bocephus Haynes, #1)
  • Near Dark (Scot Harvath #19)
  • Will I Ever Be Good Enough? Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers
  • Criminal Intent (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #3)
  • The Other Family
  • Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins: The Autobiography
  • Aftershocks (The Palladium Wars #1)
  • Ungentlemanly Warfare
  • Fool's Demise: A Western Adventure (Jacob Payne, Bounty Hunter Book 9)
  • Killer Miller: (A Western Mystery Thriller)
  • Vanishing in the Haight (Colleen Hayes, #1)
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • Bullets and Beads (Miss Fortune Mystery #17)
  • Patrol Craft Zero Two Two, Reporting!
Derek Walker credits his passion for horror to his Nana Jo, who, despite being a conservative, suburban mother of six, loved the macabre. He lives in the Salt Lake area with his wife, Amanda and two daughters, Quinn and Maple Jo. His debut novel, The X, is due in 2020.

Follow him at derekwalker.me