Start by marking “Tales of Oliver Pig” as Want to Read:
Tales of Oliver Pig

Tales of Oliver Pig (Oliver and Amanda Pig)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Using their cache of already published easy-to-read books, Puffin launched their Easy-to-Read program. Favorite stories by such beloved authors as James Marshall, Jean Van Leeuwen, and Harriet Ziefert are certain to attract readers to this series. Though the quality of stories in this series is uneven, some of them are superb. Like most other beginning-to-read series, Puff ...more
Published September 1st 1983 by Turtleback Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Oliver Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Oliver Pig

Rosa Cline
This was a charming storybook told in four or five short stories (chapters) Where Oliver (and older brother pig) is getting used to begin an older brother to his toddler sister. But yet sometimes he still wants to be cranky and have things his way as well. His parents are patient with him (and his sister) and teaches both that there is enough love to go around and that being a big brother is sometimes worth it all.
Don Gubler
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Good beginning reader, cute but nothing special.
Michael Fitzgerald
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-readers
Lobel's pictures are tasteful and subtle, unlike those of Ann Schweninger in the later books of this series, which are garish.
Sarah Sammis
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sean and Harriet love it when I read a story to both of them. Their favorite type of story to share is one about siblings. A recent story that we enjoyed together is Tales of Oliver Pig by Jean Van Leeuwen and illustrated by Arnold Lobel.

Oliver is about five and his sister Amanda is about one. Their closeness in age to Sean and Harriet added to their enjoyment of the book. Oliver has great plans and Amanda wants to do what her big brother is doing but she sometimes gets in the way. Oliver and A
ABC
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
This book is really similar as the "Little Bear" series, but I don't think it is quite as charming. There is one part where the Mother Pig cries, and I didn't understand why. Was it because her love for her children made her emotional? Or because Grandmother Pig was leaving?

I think Little Bear was an only child, but Oliver the Pig has a little sister, so this book is good for helping kids get along with siblings.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
I am a fan of Lobel's illustrations. His pigs are my favorite.

This book is great for children who are just becoming comfortable with reading. There are plenty of sight words but also new vocabulary that will require basic decoding skills.

Oliver Pig likes to squabble with his sister, Amanda, but he can also be very caring towards her. Other children just beginning to read might be able to connect with this sibling bond.

The snowsuit story was hilarious!
Christine
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming stories, darling drawings, everyday situations. I love when the mother starts to cry after the kids have taken their hats, mittens, scarves, and boots off while she rushes to don her own winter clothes.
Dulce
Historias pequeñas. Pocas palabras. Oraciones simples. ¡Excelente para los primeros lectores! Con esto conquistarán la habilidad, alcanzarán a terminar sus primeros libros y esa idea de seguridad será un reforzador positivo para continuar.
Betsy
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids have discovered Oliver the Pig! I like the older ones illustrated by Lobel better, but my kids enjoy them all.
Amanda
Emma needed help with a few word. However, she was able to read the story smoothly and she seemed to enjoy it. She was able to re-tell the entire bad day chapter.
Amy Murray
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-zoey
I remember reading this book when I was younger--it was one of the first books I could read on my own, probably in the first or second grade. I love it as much now as I did then!
I actually preferred Oliver and his sister, Amanda to Frog and Toad. A bit edgier, Oliver and Amanda are refreshingly flawed. Much, much easier to relate to.
Jen (Feffer)
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, before-the-blog
Purchased for my collection.
Jake
This is a great bedtime book, because there are 5 small stories in the book. We loved the last one, where Oliver's dad was pretending to not be able to find him as he hid in his room. So silly!
Angela
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, well-done series. Oliver is often in social situations similar to those kids face. Good stories.
Philip
Apr 21, 2013
Jie Gao
Jul 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
When I was growing up in the small town of Rutherford, New Jersey, I was always called a tomboy. That was because I loved riding bikes, climbing trees, and playing baseball with the boys in the neighborhood. When I finally came inside, I had another name: bookworm. I was seldom seen without a book in my hand. In the summertime, I would go to the library and come back with as many books as I could ...more
More about Jean Van Leeuwen

Oliver and Amanda Pig (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • More Tales of Oliver Pig
  • Amanda Pig and Her Big Brother Oliver
  • Tales of Amanda Pig: Level 2
  • Oliver, Amanda, and Grandmother Pig (Easy-to-Read, Puffin)
  • More Tales of Amanda Pig