Start by marking “Believing as Ourselves” as Want to Read:
Believing as Ourselves

Believing as Ourselves

In Believing as Ourselves, the author, an American Muslim of 16 years, brings to the forefront the indispensable importance of personal authenticity to the maintenance of faith. The author asserts that all too often "non-native" Muslims, in their well meaning zeal, throw away the very parts of their identity that, not only led them to Islam in the first place, but ultimate ...more
Published March 31st 2002 by Amana Publications (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Believing as Ourselves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Believing as Ourselves

Gabriela Busmar
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a Muslim convert, I have to say that this book can really express how is like to convert into Islam in a western country and I would recommend it to all converts I know.

I could relate every single chapter and experience J. Lynn let us know about it and the struggle of acceptance is the thing that doesn't matter what is your background, after taking the huge decision of converting into Islam, we go for it.

Under the light of the greatness of Muslims along the ancient history we expect much mor
Faaizz d zul
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it
i actually wrote a review about this book.

This is very important books which inspire people who have the blurry message of what becoming a Muslim like, and thus have people educated themselves on what Islam is.

The book is beautifully written, compelling and honest depiction of life as a female American convert to Islam. Furthermore, the personal experiences of her shows great sincerity and introspection as she struggles to attain authentic self-surrender to God.

more on

believe-as-ourselves #1

&a
Dawn Bates
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Loved this book so much I read it in 6 hours! the style the book was written in and the points raised had me giggling from pretty much start to finish. What Lynn is experiencing with the "native Muslims" in the US is no different to the situation we face here in the UK with the "native Muslims". Great book a must read for all Muslims and those wanting to understand the lack of cohesion in the Muslim "ummah"... just a fabulous book! :) well done Lynn! and thank you so much!!
Cara
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I first read maybe 12 or 13 years ago, before I even officially converted to Islam. I'm surprised with how much of it stuck with me over that time. Few books make such an impression on me. It's definitely more relateable to me now than it was then.
Nachida
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: converts, gone
A must have for all Muslim converts!!! Read it and you'll know you are not alone.

Also a must read for all Muslims, because it does bring to light a lot of the problems/pains/suffering that we converts go through. InshaAllah, things will change once we all read this book and act on it.
Cari
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking and exciting! Waiting for authors next release soon! Excellent read for converts, things many of us have gone through, ponder or may struggle with. Great read!
Munira
Jul 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book was funny, moving and right on the mark. I think it is worth reading not only for converts but those who have "reverted" to Islam. I loved it.
Huda
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tells it like it is for so many
Zahirah
Rashed
Jan 23, 2011
Hoda
Feb 11, 2010
Jennifer Lynn Jones (Jenny Jones, J. Lynn Jones) was born and raised in the tiny town of Independence, Oregon, where she converted to Islam from Christanity at the age of fourteen after reading an English translation of the Quran as part of a high school class assignment.

Jenny is the author of Believing as Ourselves (Amana, 2002), a practical guide for the empowerment of Muslim women, and the new