Start by marking “Off the Record” as Want to Read:
Off the Record

Off the Record

The behind-the-scenes access of Almost Famous meets the searing revelations of #metoo in this story of a teen journalist who uncovers the scandal of the decade.

Ever since seventeen-year-old Josie Wright can remember, writing has been her identity, the thing that grounds her when everything else is a garbage fire. So when she wins a contest to write a celebrity profile for
Published May 18th 2021 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Off the Record, please sign up.

Start your review of Off the Record
Camryn
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is probably the most personal book I've written so far. There's so much of myself in Josie, and I hope you all love her the way I do.

Trigger warning for mentions of sexual abuse, sexual harassment, and sexual assault.

h o l l i s
Oof, I feel pulled in a lot of directions right now, and hope I manage to do an okay job at explaining my thoughts with this one. But I think, not unlike another contemporary I've read this year (likely more than one, actually..) the main issues I had with OFF THE RECORD is that I think it's just trying to do too many things.

While reading this book I had actually forgotten what the main plot point was going to be because I felt like it just took too long to get there. Which naturally made the ca
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Camryn has done it again: she's written a spectacular and provocative story that just shines with its earnestness, sharpness, and astute teen voice. Off the Record is bloody amazing and will effortlessly be one of my top reads of 2021.

- Follows Josie, a Black bisexual teen journalist who wins a competition and wins the opportunity to write a celebrity profile and follow the cast of an upcoming movie on their tour. But when Josie discovers a terrible secret and more women come forward with a simi
Elle (ellexamines)
Jul 26, 2020 marked it as tbz
wait no how did i miss the cover drop i am so deeply stupid. excited as hell for this<3
Althea
Off the Record by Camryn Garrett follows Josie Wright who is jetted off on a press tour to interview up-and-coming actor, Marius Canet, after winning a prestigious journalism award. However, on the press tour, a young actress confides in Josie that she was sexually assaulted by a well-known and well-loved director. Josie wants to help take down this director but she quickly feels like she’s in over her head, and will it end her journalism career before she’s even got to start it?

This is an extre
DeannaReadsandSleeps
Jul 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I think this was phenomenal. Full RTC.
azaad
off the record is out in the world now !!

thank you so much to tbr and beyond tours, as well as the author and publisher for giving me a copy of off the record in exchange for an honest review !

content warnings: sexual assault, sexual harassment.

representation: fat, anxious & bisexual black protagonist, bisexual black love interest, side black characters, side latina character, side minor korean-american character.

to read the full review, click here to be directed to my blog post !
Anniek
This was just a perfect book. Between Full Disclosure and this, I'm so impressed with Camryn Garrett's writing. ...more
leah ❣️
Jul 23, 2021 rated it it was ok
:(((( as much as i wanted to LOVE this book, it had many shortfalls for me.

PROS:
- fat black girls written by actual fat black girls! love to see it
- said black girl is a protag with career ambitions and opportunities, and aims for excellence!
- her whole family is black and attended an hbcu- more excellence.

CONS
- at about 60 pages, the story stops being about Josies independence and evolution as a journalist and starts being about the romance
- i’m not kidding, maybe i missed the romance label b
kate
Powerful, painful and utterly addictive. This was superb.

TW: mentions of sexual abuse, sexual harassment, sexual assault and fatphobia.
Eva B.
Is there anything better than a group of women teaming up to write an expose of their abuser? Yes, a story where that effort is spearheaded by a fat bisexual Black girl and delves into the "open secrets" in the film industry about abusive directors, discussions on the line between "problematic fave" and stanning someone who's actively harmful, and discussions on well-intentioned fatphobia. I felt so seen by Josie's descriptions, feelings, and fears about her weight. I wasn't the biggest fan of F ...more
Cody Roecker
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read an early draft of this! Camryn Garrett is a force to be reckon with y'all and absolutely everything she writes is spectacular. This one specifically is SO special. Just wait until you meet these characters and fall in love like I did - I know you will. It's impossible not to. ...more
alaska
off the record is without a doubt a powerful and important story. it tackles many real issues that aren't nearly talked about enough and i'm so, so glad that this book exists. the blurb on the back of the copy i have definitely didn't lie: this story is, in fact, "unflinchingly real".

i really enjoyed it and can only recommend it, but i can't say i loved it.

r a t i n g - o v e r v i e w :
characters: 3/5
writing: 4/5
vibes: 3.5/5
plot: 4/5
enjoyment: 3.5/5
OVERALL: 3.5/5

representation: fat/bisexual/bl
bella
May 22, 2021 rated it liked it
content and trigger warnings: mentions of sexual abuse, sexual harassment, and sexual assault, fatphobia, dieting, biphobia (mentioned)

I have some mixed feelings about Off the Record, but overall it is a fast, engrossing, and important read. The things Camryn Garrett did well were excellent, and I truly appreciate her pouring so much of herself into this book. Thank you to Netgalley and Knopf Books for Young Readers for granting me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The representation in
Mia
Jun 16, 2021 rated it liked it
This book has a lot things going for it but also not enough is flash out. Best part for me is Josie as character and her development but ending was rushed.
Janna
I really enjoyed "Full Disclosure" by Camryn Garrett, so of course, I had to read "Off The Record" eventually too.

If you like contemporary YA fiction, you're gonna love this one as well.

The writing style is lovely, the story intriguing, the characters relatable.

We've got a journalist teen, complicated family relationships and anxiety and queer representation.

Most importantly, this book deals a lot with sexual assault in the movie industry. A lot of important conversations are held. It's very ha
Vicky Again
Oct 16, 2022 rated it it was amazing
give Camryn all the stars, it's been ages since I've enjoyed and devoured a YA book so thoroughly, but this was so heartfelt and just an absolutely engaging reading experience. I absolutely adored Garrett's debut and loved this one too and am so excited for FRIDAY I'M IN LOVE. just *chef's kiss* a perfect read all around. ...more
BookNightOwl
Apr 25, 2021 rated it liked it
Off the Record By Camyrn Garrett is about a young inspiring writer who has won a contest to do a meet and great with an up and coming young star name Marius Canet.

Not only does she get to interview Marius Canet several times to get a better sense of who he is she gets to meet the whole cast of the upcoming movie he is in.

A secret that has been kept hidden for years is come to light and Josie doesn't know if she should do an article about it or finish what it is she was sent out to do.

I liked
eli ♡
Content and trigger warnings: graphic depiction of sexual assault, dieting, biophobia, anxiety/panic attacks, mentions of gaslighting and racism.

*.·:·.☽✧ 2.7 stars ✧☾.·:·.*

"Off The Record" tried to accomplish too many things, and lost not only its main focus in the process, but my interest in it as well.

For 17-year-old Josie Wright, writing articles and pieces is her identity, and is the one thing that grounds her when her whole life is a mess. I was very interested in her home life because the
Jay G
Aug 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

When 17-year-old Josie Wright wins a journalist competition, she is given the chance to write a celebrity profile for up-and-coming star Marius Canet. As she spends more time with Marius, she begins to fall for his charm. Then, a young actress tells her a terrible secret about a famous director. As more
Andy
Apr 17, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Loved this so much! Garrett writes such impactful and incredible books.

Off the Record follows seventeen year old Josie Wright. Her passion has always been writing and now she has the opportunity of a lifetime. When Josie wins a contest for Deep Focus magazine, she feels like all her dreams are coming true. First, she'll just have to convince her parents to let her go on a nationwide tour for two weeks.

As she navigates the world of high class celebrity life, Josie is let in on a secret. This le
Rose
May 18, 2022 rated it really liked it
Finished this in April, but just marking now. It was a solid read, both for the characterization and the difficult issues within. Will be working on a full review soon.
Alex (Pucksandpaperbacks)
CW: internalized fatphobia, body shaming, fatphobia, body dysmorphia, sexual assault and harassment, self-harm (hair pulling), anxiety, panic attack, mention of dieting, and weight loss, mention of conversion therapy, homophobia.

Camryn does it again with a spectacular sophomore novel following Josie, a 17-year old Black girl who loves writing and journalism. She wins a writing contest and spends 2 weeks traveling with the cast of a movie featuring a Black boy who is sent to conversion therapy.
daphnereads
4.5 rounded

This was a huge surprise of a book, I did not expect to be blown away like this. I will say that you should check trigger warnings before picking this up.

Off the Record has so many layers to it, and dealt with so many important issues. Josie as our main character was so fun to follow. She’s a plus sized, black, teenage girl who was just so authentic. She has insecurities, she has to deal with so much BS from the world around her, and I know so many people will see themselves in her. I
Ritz
Huge thanks to TBR and Beyond Tours, as well as the author and publisher for sending me an eARC of “Off the Record” in exchange for an honest review!

This book was a roller coaster. I loved, loved, loved it. And I also have too many thoughts, but let’s try to write a review anyways.

The book’s main character is 17 year old Josie Wright, an aspiring journalist. Josie was so interesting. I loved her. I loved everything. I loved reading about her journey of self-confidence.

I loved Penny. I think some
Emma
Aug 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
C/W:(view spoiler)

Off the Record tackles a lot of topics in a relatively short page count with mixed results. I found Josie's journey to grow in her confidence as a journalist really compelling and appreciated her complicated relationship with her sister, Alice. This book had a powerful emotional climax that was very well-written. It was also great to see YA grapple with questions about separating the ar
Raven
Aug 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to penguin random house for a eARC of this book.
This is the first five star I’ve given this year! 😮
It was phenomenal, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
It follows Josie, a teen in her senior year who wants to be a journalist. She wins a contest to do an exclusive on a character in a new movie and she goes on a PR tour with the other actors and actresses as they do a few PR events.
One of the young actresses in the movie let out a big secret. One woman’s accounts leads to another and leads to anot
Alex Nonymous
Jun 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was so, so good.

Off the record examines a lot. Mostly centering around a high school student who suddenly finds herself in the middle of a series of sexual assault cases after she wins a contest to write a profile on a celebrity and instead finds a lot of women in the industry looking for someone to tell their stories, it also delves into her self image as a fat, Black, queer woman, her family dynamics, romance, and anxiety.

I do think that because there was so much going on some of the plot
caro(lee)na
May 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
tw: sexual assault and sexual harassment

this book follows Josie, a seventeen year old journalist who just won a prize to write an article about a movie coming out for a really famous magazine.

along the way, she meets famous people and discovers everything is not what it seems, and ends up writing an article about it that could end her whole career.

there was also a bit of romance that i enjoyed because even though it was a male/female relationship, both people were queer and poc.

Esme
Jan 24, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. Like there are no words. Just read it.

• Lost in the Never Woods
  • This Is Not the Jess Show (This Is Not the Jess Show, #1)
  • The Intimacy Experiment (The Shameless Series, #2)
  • The Girl and the Ghost
  • Suspicious Minds (Stranger Things, #1)
  • Together, Apart
  • Sunkissed
  • Yolk
  • Don't Tell a Soul
  • Wider Than the Sky
  • Micah: The Good Girl (Flyy Girls, #2)
  • Six Crimson Cranes (Six Crimson Cranes, #1)
  • If the Shoe Fits (Meant to Be, #1)
See top shelves…
Camryn Garrett was born and raised in New York. In 2019, she was named one of Teen Vogue’s 21 Under 21 and a Glamour College Woman of the Year. Her first novel, Full Disclosure, received rave reviews from outlets such as Entertainment Weekly, the Today Show, and The Guardian, which called a “warm, funny and thoughtfully sex-positive, an impressive debut from a writer still in her teens.” Her secon ...more

Articles featuring this book

Ellen Oh is an award-winning author of middle grade and young adult novels such as Spirit Hunters, The Dragon Egg Princess, and A Thousand...
“sometimes it's hard to remember that your voice is important until the world reminds you” 1 likes
“Obviously #notallmen are horrible but if we are discussing all the ways women suffer at the hands of misogyny maybe now is not the time to remind me of that.” 0 likes