Start by marking “Freedom, We Sing” as Want to Read:
Freedom, We Sing

Freedom, We Sing

"I wonder, then, what freedom is. Is it a place? Is it a thought? Can it be stolen? Can it be bought?"

As powerful as it is beautiful, Freedom, We Sing is a lyrical picture book designed to inspire and give hope to readers around the world. Molly Mendoza's immersive, lush illustrations invite kids to ponder singer/songwriter Amyra León's poem about what it means to be free.
Published July 7th 2020 by Flying Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about Freedom, We Sing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freedom, We Sing

Start your review of Freedom, We Sing
Lauren
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, timely, but so accessible.

With simple words and phrases in rhyme, FREEDOM WE SING is about what freedom means. To breathe is freedom and everyone wants to breathe in freedom. There are people from all over the world fighting for the chance to breathe free.

The words are beautiful, the illustrations are knock your socks off beautiful, and the message is beautiful.
Michelle
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, social
This book belongs in every classroom, in every library, in every home across the world.
Jamila
This book is a breath of fresh air because it centers liberation, love, reflection, meditation, collaboration, empathy, joy, beauty, and Blackness!

I look forward to using this book in storytime, circle time, Morning Meeting, bedtime, and in classroom discussions about freedom, civil rights, and human rights.
Ejona Rexhepi
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written story paired with wonderful illustrations.
Kristin Guay
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amyra León is a musician, activist, educator, and poet that injects passion and energy into her various projects--and her first children’s book is no exception. This book, written in a poetic form, is about freedom. The freedom to be who you are and to live in a world without violence, to not experience fear, and to protect your children.

The book uses a conversation between a mother and her young daughter as the medium for the topic of freedom. The mother explains that there are people around t
Doha Nassar
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first books I read to my students at the beginning of the year. Children are very much aware of the social justice issues in the world - especially when they are directly affected. It is extremely important to have open discussions with young children about the challenges and oppressions that many people in the community face. After reading this with my students, we drew visual representations of what freedom means and students were able to gain a deeper understanding of thei ...more
Jul 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: small-kids
I don't know how I missed this book's release, but the day I saw in the bookshop window, I bought it. The illustrations are unbelievably vibrant, full of movement and bright color. The words are a poem, so they're a jumping-off point, more than a comprehensive explanation, to discuss the idea of freedom with your child. But I do appreciate that refugees are featured, and patriotism/allegiance is not. My favorite parts are the "Inhale/Exhale" pages, each of which uses human relationship (mainly t ...more
Selena Hanet-Hutchins
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book. I loved the rich, mural like illustrations, the relationship between the child and adult, the adults with one another, and the message of how to find freedom (essentially in the breath) is totally wonderful and useful as a gift to give children. Such a joyous and warm book for any time but would definitely find its place in a preschool or K-2 cultural diversity or me-and-my-emotions unit. Unfortunately, the four-year-old is so far uninterested, however.
K
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Absolutely gorgeous illustrations. Lyrical story that is pretty vague about what exactly to hope in but asks thoughtful questions. I think as a Christian it can be easily used as a reference to hope in Jesus which if done gives the book more power. It also has lovely pages where you inhale and exhale with the illustrations, which I particularly liked, seems like a cool thing to teach all kids but particularly anxious kids.
Alice Bennett
This book has the most beautiful illustrations, they practically burst out of the page and fill it with colour. A mother tells her daughter that she longs to find freedom in life and real happiness, repeating the words 'Inhale (…) Exhale'. This slows the story down for the reader and gets them to breathe in and out with the characters, feeling calmer and happier. The rhythmic tale is just gorgeous. ...more
Sara
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Such a visually stunning book with brilliant text. The themes are accessible for younger readers, but what I really appreciated was the repetitive "inhale - exhale" moments in this book because not only do the reinforce mindfulness in the reader, but it gives the reader a moment to take a quick break to take in what they just read. Like taking little bites from huge ideas like freedom, equality, love, growth and other big life questions. Love love loved this! ...more
Alissa Tsaparikos
This picture book is magnificently illustrated. It makes the reader really stop and look. The text is poetry, filled with deep thoughts and introspection, so this story would be better for elementary age children ready to discuss what they read with an adult. I like the repeated motif of "inhale, exhale" with the accompanied illustrations to so this movement. It would make a good addition in a unit on mindfulness and breathing. ...more
Shanique Edwards
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yr-2020
This book is gorgeous! And I mean that literally. The art is so colorful and so beautiful.

And the story itself is also a beautiful one, distilling freedom down to its most basic form, and reminding us to breathe.
Erin
Apr 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy the calming aspect this book creates. After a few pages of poetic text and colorful illustrations, there is a spread with "Inhale" on one page and "Exhale" on the opposite. This happens several times and I love it!

Good for older kid or preschool storytimes.
Mel
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just gorgeous
Pinky
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Visually stunning, this book is a joyous, wonderful celebration of life, community and equality.
Alexa
Mar 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet, encouraging, and calming. :D
Rebecca Anne
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Gorgeous illustrations. A child talking about the differences in the world that her mama teachers her about, and the way we experience freedom is through breathing.
Grace Steed
Oct 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is beautifully illustrated and reads in the style of spoken word. In the book a mother explains to her child how we are all connected and of the longing for freedom that so many feel.
Keriann's Picture Book Library
The art is gorgeous. The text can be a little too abstract, but I love the refian of "Inhale" and "Exhale". ...more
Tracie
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What does freedom mean. The words, message and illustrations are perfection together.
Anna Seader
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book. I loved the illustrations and what a beautiful lesson. Me and my children really enjoyed it. I hope more books come out like this!
Meltem Osman
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The poetry and artwork are exquisite. A beautiful book for children and adults alike, one to return to over and over and notice new thoughts and have new conversations.
Alix
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Gorgeous book with wonderful illustrations! Can wait to find many ways to incorporate talks of freedom, diversity and equality into my classroom!
Alicia Evans
For: readers looking for an inspiring book about freedom and our connection to the universe.

Possible red flags: some may find the message a little muddled/too spiritual.
Racheal
I think I'm feeling too cynical for this book right now, so I'll hold off on rating it. Gorgeous illustrations for sure so I'll have to revisit it later. ...more
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Mx.

• Nana Akua Goes to School
  • Me & Mama
  • All Because You Matter
  • Evelyn del Rey Is Moving Away
  • Stick and Stone (Stick and Stone, #1)
  • Milo Imagines the World
  • Tweet Cute
  • Bedtime Bonnet
  • Don't Hug Doug (He Doesn't Like It)

News & Interviews