Start by marking “A Taste for Love” as Want to Read:
A Taste for Love

A Taste for Love

For fans of Jenny Han, Jane Austen, and The Great British Baking Show, A Taste for Love, is a delicious rom com about first love, familial expectations, and making the perfect bao.

To her friends, high school senior Liza Yang is nearly perfect. Smart, kind, and pretty, she dreams big and never shies away from a challenge. But to her mom, Liza is anything but. Compared to he
Published February 2nd 2021 by Razorbill

Start your review of A Taste for Love
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
a grandma getting her granddaughter to enter a baking competition but its actually a ploy to set her up with a guy? scam of the century, can’t wait
Irena BookDustMagic
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Review to come.
Hillary
2020 and 2021 are the years of YA and adult romance about food and cooking, and I’m totally here for it.
Vicky Again
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Flirty & cute, A TASTE FOR LOVE brings together baked deliciousness, mysterious past secrets, and a cooking competition that's a low-key disaster.

I was prepared to be satisfied with a cute romance, and move on with my life, but something about A TASTE FOR LOVE just stuck out to me and latched on. It was definitely more well-layered than I expected from a light romance--like Liza's layered agar cake!

We not only get a romance between our headstrong protagonist Liza and the stand-offish & a littl
Fareya
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
A Taste for Love by Jennifer Yen is an absolutely delightful modern day retelling of Pride and Prejudice and checks all of my boxes for a fun YA contemporary. It has a decent plot and diverse cast, plenty of laugh out loud moments, nearly perfect chemistry between the characters, and no shortage of overall entertainment. I immensely enjoyed this book and will recommend to all YA contemporary readers.

In case you need some more convincing, here are my three reasons why A Taste for Love should be o
Dulcie
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Young Adult Contemporary Romance : ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

CW : Microaggression

Love me ANY Pride & Made me so hungry!! (Now I want all the Boba and Buns. Yummmm.)
I really loved this one. Every character was utilized and had purpose. As well as being fleshed out and thoughtful to the story. Our couple was so sweet and genuine and Liza's family was A lovely look into more traditional Asian values. A great read.

#LNYREADATHON2021
Emma
Feb 28, 2021 rated it liked it
3.25/5 Stars

A Taste for Love is an adorable Pride and Prejudice retelling that revolves around a baking competition. I really enjoyed reading about Liza and how much she loves baking, it was very inspiring to see her so passionate about it. Also, this book made me so hungry you guys, they were always talking about delicious food!
Even though the plot was quite predictable from the start, it was still a cute and enjoyable contemporary YA book that I do recommend if you're a fan of baking and cute
nora 🪐
4.5/5 ☆

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a mother in possession of great wisdom must be in want--nay, in need--of a daughter who will listen."

This book was everything I needed right now. The rom-com feelings? Yup. The asian representation? Absolutely. THE FOOD? Oml yes I got so hungry while reading! This book had me laughing so many times.

The pacing was pretty good, and I was hooked on the story almost immediately. The book is kind of a loose re-telling of Pride and Prejudice by
nat
um?? ya romcom in which a taiwanese-american girl enters her mother's baking competition to realize it's actually a matchmaking scheme??? sign me up ...more
Fanna
Jun 20, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-releases
June 21, 2020: This just got announced and as if I wasn't already so happy to see an Asian-American book, I'm FREAKING OUT with joy at this idea because I'm so sure my mom would someday make me enter a competition where everyone are just potential & ideal husbands according to her, LOL. ...more
Janssen
Feb 03, 2021 rated it liked it
Cute although certainly not any To All the Boys I've Loved Before ...more
michelle (magical reads)
read on my blog

rep: ownvoices Taiwanese-American protagonist, love interest, and side characters; bisexual Taiwanese-American side character

**I received an ARC from a giveaway from the publisher (thank you, Penguin Teen!). These are my honest opinions, and in no way was I compensated for this review.**

After first hearing about this book when it was announced, I grew even more excited to read this book after reading a sample, especially for the setting! And it did not disappoint. A Taste for
Book Adventures with Katie
Get ready for a taste of traditional Asian values and expectations taking the form of a baking competition that is secretly filled with eligible guys for Liza to date.

The entire concept of this story is genius and would make a perfect romantic comedy movie. Having 12 or so guys handpicked by your mother to compete in a baking competition while also competing for your heart is such an adorably awkward concept. I've always loved watching baking shows and this was a creative spin on the idea toppe
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Going in, I actually didn't realize that this was a retelling of Pride and Prejudice, so that was a fun surprise! It's basically P&P meets GBBO, so this was absolutely up my aisle. It's not a super close retelling. There's some intention mixing of side stories that I thought worked for this story: (view spoiler). This is a light, fun interpretation. It doesn't have the emotion ...more
Elena L.
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
[4.5/5 stars]

Starting off with a funny modified quote from "Pride and Prejudice", A TASTE FOR LOVE is a endearing modern day Pride and Prejudice retelling that centers around Liza Yang, a high school senior who loves baking. Her mother, Mrs. Yang, is the owner of Houston's popular Yin & Yang Bakery and doesn't approve Liza's dream of pursuing culinary. When Liza agrees to help out at the bakery's annual competition, she realizes that all the Asian male contestants are handpicked by her mother to
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
A retelling of Pride and Prejudice with Chinese-American lead characters set in Houston, Texas with a thinly disguised baking contest slash matchmaking plot?

Sign me up and take my money now!

I don't want to hear complaints from a certain contingent about "too many P&P remakes/retellings" when they're perfectly fine with the characters being the typical default. I want MORE P&P retellings with BIPoC, LGBTQ and other marginalized folks.

Note to self: I should NOT have read this while hungry and t
Hayley
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

I was promised a cute contemporary read that would be reminiscent of Jane Austen and the Great British Bake off and I was not disappointed!

While this book was a cute read, I found that the romance was not my favorite part. Liza’s growth compelled me the most, and seeing her relationship with her mother develop over the course of the story made it incredibly engaging. Her arc was rewarding and one of the highlights of this book. I especially loved the nods to Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudic
halfirishgrin
I am always here for Pride and Prejudice with POC - and this one includes baking!
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
*** Note: I received e-copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to PRHGlobal for free copy. ***

It was cute YA Romance that revolved around Liza trying not to be caught in potential Asian boyfriend trap set by her mother. It was about East Asian culture and tradition, family relationship, meddling parent and making them see their kid is big enough to choose happiness, friendship, passion, following dream, and love.

🌷𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙄 𝙇𝙞𝙠𝙚𝙙:
✳Writing was
Marie
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-releases, arcs
Trigger warnings: (view spoiler)

This was such a lovely, heartwarming book with romance, baking and adorable characters. I had so much fun reading this and definitely recommend it for romcoms fans. You should love it!
Full review coming soon!

Thank you to Penguin Random House INTL for the e-ARC of this book via NetGalley. This did not, in any way, influence my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizz
Seema Rao
Feb 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Felt a little manufactured.
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

A Taste for Love by Jennifer Yen combines two of my favourite things in YA–baking and competition. This is such an entertaining story about a baking competition that turns out to be a matchmaking scheme, and there are some fantastic descriptions of food inside. I enjoyed the main character’s passion for baking, but I would have liked to see more about the competition itself. Despite this, this is still an engaging read and a quirky take on Pride and Prejudice.

This
jocelyn
high achieving asian mc? check
baking? check
meddling asian family? check
boba on the cover? check
asian boyz? check

this sounds so cute y’all. why didn’t my parents open an asian bakery??
Kris Mauna
I am constantly wishing for more Pride and Prejudice retellings so I was excited to hear of A Taste for Love! Jennifer Yen takes a beloved story and adds fresh elements to it that make it feel completely new.

Reading A Taste for Love is like cutting into a tiered cake. I absolutely loved how many different layers this story held.

Being the daughter of immigrants, Liza Yang is a Taiwanese-American who dutifully does what her parents ask of her. Whether it’s helping out at their bakery and restauran
Rameela (Star)
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initial thoughts: i feel betrayed that no one said this was a pride and prejudice retelling/inspired story. What a fun ride. Also i’m really hungry now.

I received this for the publisher in exchange for a review. This does not affect my review which is unbiased and honest.

FIRST OF ALL. I FEEL BETRAYED THAT NOBODY TOLD ME THIS WAS LIKE A PRIDE AND PREJUDICE INSPIRED STORY. Once it clicked for me I just got so excited. I thought at first the first line in the book was just a funny thing BUT THE PAR
Mitali Rajput
While there were certain aspects I liked in the book I found the book to be lacking. This is especially seen in the characters who I could distinguish but I felt that still did not make them distinctive or very memorable with many feeling more 2 dimensional. Moreover while the plot was entertaining enough to make me want to read it was not able to hold my attention or intrigue.The writing I felt also lacked in certain parts especially in developing the characters relationships and in their dialo ...more
Rmsooon
3.5 Ive enjoyed it a nice retelling for pride and prejudice
Lizzie
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-releases
I liked the concept of this book but I didn’t like the author’s writing style or the characters.
Ariel
Jan 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, netgalley
This loose Pride and Prejudice retelling had me laughing, loving, and wishing I could bake all the food mentioned.

I didn't realize this was kinda a loose retelling until about halfway through. Things began to sound familiar and that's when I realized it kinda sounded like Pride and Prejudice. Like I said before, it's a pretty loose retelling so there are still plenty of surprises and things that happen that I didn't expect.

I really liked all of the characters in this book, but I think I especial
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Pho Love Story
  • The Meet-Cute Project
  • Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)
  • Hot British Boyfriend
  • Accidentally Engaged
  • Far From Normal
  • Fat Chance, Charlie Vega
  • Home Before Dark
Jennifer Yen is a Taiwanese American author of young adult and adult fiction. She draws much of her inspiration from her Chinese and Japanese heritage.

Her debut novel, A Taste For Love, will be published by Razorbill (PGH) in Spring 2021, with a second book to follow.

Jennifer lives in Houston, Texas with her adorable rescue dog. She spends her days healing the hearts of others, and her nights wri

News & Interviews