Start by marking “The Dark Heart of Every Wild Thing” as Want to Read:
The Dark Heart of Every Wild Thing

The Dark Heart of Every Wild Thing

Deep in the mountains of British Columbia, across an unforgiving landscape, one man’s pursuit of a fabled mountain lion leads him into the furthest reaches of himself. As he struggles to confront the wilderness surrounding him—from the baying hounds to the relentless northern snows—he journeys into his own haunted memories: a life of wild horses and ballet, fishing skiffs ...more
Paperback, First, 272 pages
Expected publication: September 1st 2020 by Platypus Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Heart of Every Wild Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Heart of Every Wild Thing

Start your review of The Dark Heart of Every Wild Thing
Nancy
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: publisher-sent
A father and his nine-year-old son trek into the high mountains to hunt a mountain lion. Generations have hunted the lion and failed. The father had sworn to bring one home.

They depart in late in autumn when the snow shows the lion's tracks. The father patiently teaches the child. At night the boy still dreams of his mother who died in an accident several years before.

Fasano creates a world that can be experienced with all the senses, the iron smell of blood and woodsmoke ingrained in a child's
Laura Rinaldi
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing

What happened to me reading this novel was a magical experience I felt I had been missing — I feel we might all be missing in this global trauma... bringing ourselves to embrace places of tragic and painful reality, truly looking into ourselves, deepening the waters of our spirit and encountering the ghosts the man in this novel does. Fasano’s poetry is inseparable from him — that is evident here. His voice is true and wise and stable and consistent amongst his other works. As a first novel, I f
Judy Alsworth
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Another Canadian setting for this author (previously read his poem on Vince Li). This fails to hit the mark however as the overwrought imagery and poetic intonation becomes cloying and detracts from the narrative. Some definite beautiful passages, but overall not an enjoyable story -- which is why I chose a novel to read an not a poem.
Ben Sack
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's so rare to find a writer who can tell a captivating story in beautiful prose, and Fasano is that writer. I've been a fan of his poetry for years, and this novel just blew me away. I hope to read more from him, and I hope to see this book made into a film. I can imagine the incredible imagery, landscapes, and human drama of it playing out on the screen. This is a must-read.
Peter Wild

• Strange Planet
  • The Artist's Way Every Day: A Year of Creative Living
  • Paying the Land
  • Undiscovered Country #1
  • The Museum of Whales You Will Never See: And Other Excursions to Iceland's Most Unusual Museums
  • Pale Morning Light with Violet Swan: A Novel of a Life in Art
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • August
  • Underwater: How Our American Dream of Homeownership Became a Nightmare
  • Jane Austen Embroidery: Regency Patterns Reimagined for Modern Stitchers
  • A Victorian Lady's Guide to Fashion and Beauty
  • Miracle Country
  • The Lives of Edie Pritchard
  • Empress Alexandra: The Special Relationship Between Russia's Last Tsarina and Queen Victoria
  • In Search of Safety: Voices of Refugees