Start by marking “Heart of the Dragon” as Want to Read:
Heart of the Dragon

Heart of the Dragon

Madfall is the greatest thief in the kingdom, stealing crowns off the very heads of kings. His hoard is legendary. Simply put, he’s a dragon through and through. So, when he steals a basket of “gold” from the king’s castle but finds a baby inside, he’s at a loss. What’s a dragon to do?

Seventeen years later, inexperienced knight Richard of Benfro sets out to slay the dragon
Published June 15th 2020 by Riptide Publishing (first published February 28th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the Dragon, please sign up.
Jamie Sullivan Hi! Thanks for your interest in the book! It is being re-released by Riptide Press and is now available for preorder, with a publication date of June …moreHi! Thanks for your interest in the book! It is being re-released by Riptide Press and is now available for preorder, with a publication date of June 15:

Start your review of Heart of the Dragon
Ami

Not gonna lie; I didn't exactly read the blurb carefully when I bought this. I just liked the idea of DRAGON on the title and I've enjoyed Jamie Sullivan's books before. So, Heart of the Dragon ended up as quite a pleasant 'different' reading.

I will NOT classify this as romance, despite having a young couple near the end. I see this as a fairy-tale, a story about fatherhood, love between father and son (duly noted that the "father" is an dragon who 'accidentally appropriated a baby
Dee Wy
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best dragon story ever! Loved it. Reminded me a bit of Tarzan raised by apes, but in this case Oenyn is raised by a dragon named Madfall who thought he was adding to his hoard by stealing a basket he believed contained gold coins only to find a human baby boy instead when he reaches his lair. What does he do? Well first he cleans up a smelly mess and then steals a goat to feed the child. Oenyn couldn't have been in more loving hands.

Heartwarming story with humor and a few surprises along the wa
Kathleen
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons, fantasy
That was adorable; a sweetheart of a story.
Relly
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, b-2018-read
Entertaining

3.75 ⭐️

This one started off slow for me, but once it captured my attention it was a good afternoon sitting by the pool read.
I enjoyed Madfell and how he connected to Oenyn. Their whole relationship was well done. I liked that even though Oenyn wanted to explore his heritage he never let go of a Madfell or denied their little family. He protected him when needed. I wasn’t really keen on Richard for most of the book but by the end he had redeemed himself enough for me.
Alisa
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This adorable story was adorable.

Now I'm the first to admit adorable is generally not my thing but I'm a sucker for stories with dragons so I thought I'd give this a try. So glad I did. It was funny and sweet and touching. I *may* have gotten a little teary-eyed at one point.

This was really different and creative and I highly recommend it.
Tamara
Madfall is a dragon and dragons care only about one thing - their hoard. So when he steals a basket that was supposed to have gold in it but instead had a baby - of course he wanted to get rid of it! Or maybe ransom it. He won't get attached because dragons don't get attached to humans. They don't.

Oenyn is human. And also dragon. After all, his father is a dragon - and he says it doesn't matter whose skin you wear. He loves his life with his father (and his goat, and his bunnies), but he is als
Julia
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
A dragon accidentally steals a baby. It horrifies him at first, it soon grows on him, and grows up next to his hoard. Of course, living with a human changes the dragon, and it also changes the human boy. When a young knight turns up to kill the dragon things get complicated, especially since there is chemistry between the knight and the young man living with the dragon.

A fantastic M/M romance, but also a story about what makes family.
Trish Isiderio
Jun 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I was given an ARC of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

My actual rating for this book is 3.5 stars.

First thing, anyone picking this up should not expect a fantasy heavy story; this reads more like a feel-good, slice-of-life story with a mild dash of fantasy to spice it up.
This book is about Madfall, a dragon who mistakenly kidnaps a baby after taking a basket he thought was filled with gold. Basically, we follow this dragon as he suddenly finds himself with a child, g
Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen)
A huge thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I did not mean to finish this book tonight. I meant to read a bit before sleep. It’s now 3:40am and I am bursting with feelings over this book.

I LOVED IT SO MUCH AND MADFALL IS THE BEST DRAGON EVER 🙌

Seriously. I adore Madfall. I would die for him 🤷‍♀️

Given the time I’ll leave me writing the rest of this review (properly and less trashqueen-y) until tomorrow, but seriously. Put this on your
Donna
I’ve been umming and ahhing about how to rate this book for the last few days…it’s entirely possible that I over think things. So, I went with the full five stars, and while I’m not about to hold Heart of the Dragon up as an example of literary genius, the simple fact is that this book made me very happy. And sometimes that’s exactly what you need.

This book is told in a few separate sections, from the points of view of Madfall the dragon, Oenyn and Richard. The story begins with Madfall, the gre
Lexi Ander
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-ebook, mm-fantasy
Original and excellent read. Loved it.
UnusualChild{beppy}

Synopsis: Madfell is a dragon who is the best thief around. One day, while attempting to steal the king's gold, he ends up stealing a basket with a child in it. Madfell plans to return the child for ransom, but he ends up keeping him instead. As Oenyn gets older, he doesn't want Madfell to steal anymore, so Madfell doesn't.
One day Richard, an almost-knight, attempts to kill the dragon, and meets Oenyn instead. Oenyn keeps Richard captive, because he doesn't want Madfell to get hurt. Oen
Nicole Field
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons
Having never read a book by Jamie Sullivan before, I had no idea what to expect. What I got, however, was a really easy going read with a dragon, a stolen child, and a would be dragon-slayer.

Seriously, I don't think I've read such a relaxing book than Jamie's for a while. Certainly not one with such stakes as high fantasy with dragons. But that was what I got. We start this novel with Madfall's PoV, with him finding and mistakenly taking a young child that he'd taken to be treasure. Although hi
Sabrina
"Lord. Are all knights this dumb, or just the ones who run around trying to fight dragons?"

I've found a new favourite trope. It's called the *takes deep breath* grumpy-prickly-hermit-dragon-reluctantly-adopts-a-random-human-baby-they-accidentally-found-and-ends-up-being-an-incredibly-loving-supportive-and-kind-father...trope. We're off to a great start with this premise!

Up until the ending, this book was potentially a solid 5 stars. I enjoyed reading it SO much, it's compulsively bi

R
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, m-m
Madfall is a fearsome dragon. He jealously guards his hoard. His latest theft will be from the Kings palace. He carefully stalks his prey, knowing the basket the girl carries is full of gold. After he successfully steals the basket and returns to his lair, he discovers to his horror that the basket contains a tiny human. A tiny, stinky, hungry human. What follows is 18 years of compromise on the dragons part.

Oenyn is a very determined young man. He decides early on that his father must change h
Karen (thefictioncorner)
3.5

This was a pretty quick and cute read. I thought it was interesting; the idea of a dragon raising a little boy and it really was! Oenyn grew up to be curious and kind, but obviously living with only a dragon for company was not ideal because people need human interactions.

I really liked Madfall and his character arc. He began as a stereotypical dragon who loves to steal shiny things for his hoard, but he ended up being a caring father to a human boy. This is definitely a story about family a
Serena Yates
Dragons! ‘Heart of the Dragon’ is the final book in the ‘For the Hoard’ collection I have read, and I am happy to say that its basic idea is very different from the others. It is set in a sort-of-medieval fictional world, but this time, the dragon is not a shifter. Instead, Madfall is an intelligent, sentient being with an agenda of amassing treasure while terrifying as many humans as possible to keep up his badass reputation. But then an unfortunate accident has him end up with a human baby boy ...more
Melanie
Y'all, this is just too cute. Imagine a dragon accidentally absconding with a baby, falling for said baby, raising him to adulthood, and having to figure out the whole human/dragon thing. Then imagine a baby knight coming to kill said dragon, only to be confronted by the now-grown baby who is pretty handy with a sword.

It's pretty predictable, but that's half the charm. It's just flat out adorable, while still being an entertaining read. It's got a romance, but it isn't really a romance - the foc
Abbie
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Heart of the Dragon by Jamie Sullivan is being published on June 15th.
This is the story of a dragon who accidentally kidnaps a baby, and of what happens 17 years later when a knight comes to kill the dragon, and instead finds himself captured by the dragons human son.
This is a heartwarming story of how love for a child can change a big bad dragon. It's a very quick read but one I thoroughly enjoyed. The characters were well thought out and vividly drawn upon the pages.
The events were a little p
Nix Buttons
Now, this was a really sweet and fun story! I thought this would be a romance, but it's not. It's a story about a boy with a dragon as a father; a story about principles, morals, family and love. A light-hearted and sweet read! ...more
Kaila
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was an odd story.. good but odd.. i enjoyed the dragon aspect but it was a whole other type of dragon for me.. it was well written.. it was enjoyable but parts were slow for me.. i really liked it though.. im curious to read more of this author.
Minerva
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons, lgbtqia
This was a very cute, funny book and I loved the characters. One scene felt a little out of place when I started reading it, but it turned out it furthered the plot, so that was okay in hindsight, and the rest of the story continued to be cute and enjoyable. I like that the writer gave thought to things I wondered about while I was reading, like how to bathe in a dragon's cave. Even the non-speaking characters (the sheep and the goat) found a special place in my heart. Not a life-changing story, ...more
Staceyr
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful read, though not much of a romance. Reads like a YA fantasy, and I really wish it were. The few above-PG13 scenes seemed out of place and were hardly a main focal point to the story. The 8-12 crowd would have loved Madfall in all his sarcastic goary glory and Oenyn with his hilariously innocent and poignant revelations about love, honesty and greed as he transforms Madfalls world. Not at all what I expected but a light fun read nonetheless.
Caroline
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for a providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

A quick review for a quick read. This was a cute, sweet little tale that was easy and fun to read. The story is pretty by the numbers, but this was outweighed by how charming the whole story was.

My only feedback would be that I'm not quite sure who the target audience is. I was under the impression for a good portion of the book that it was intended for middle grade readers because of the language and
Serena Yates
Smut Report
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heat Factor: Waggly eyebrows, for the most part
Character Chemistry: Oenyn and Richard are cute together, but it’s more about Oenyn’s growth as a young man
Plot: Oenyn, accidentally acquired by Madfall as a baby, is raised as a dragon. Richard is going to slay the dragon. Oenyn is not on board with that.
Overall: The real hero here is Madfall, whom I love.

Heart of the Dragon caught my attention because, um, it’s about a dragon. But it’s even better than that! Rather than reinventing dragon mytholo
Sherry
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Although the synopsis of the book makes it sound like a romance, for me, this was really more of a story about the love between a boy and his dragon.

The boy is Oenyn, who was accidentally abducted by the dragon Madfall when Oenyn was a baby. Madfall meant to steal a basket full of gold for his hoard, but it’s hard to tell one human carrying a basket from another when you’re a dragon, even if that dragon is a master thief. Madfall is disappointed when he finds a baby instead of gold in the baske
Gail Overholt
Is this Great Literature? No. Is it well-written? Yes. Is there a lot of sex? No. Are there a lot of feelz? Yes. Is there a dragon? YES! Is he black? YES!! So maybe my How to Train Your Dragon-lovin' heart biased me, but I don't think so. Madfall really isn't like Toothless, except in color.

The book is divided into four sections, each from a different character's POV, with Madfall getting 2 sections. The section devoted to Richard of Benfro, knight wannabe, is pretty funny. At times, I thought
ReadingInPyjamas
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I read by author Jamie Sullivan and I was pleasantly surprised by this story. The blurb caught my attention from the start and I am happy I got the chance to read it.

I love dragon stories and this one was well crafted. The writing style is easy to follow and engaging and the storyline drew me in from the start. Madfall is a feared dragon, many have tried to bring him down but none have succeeded to find his lair. He's a master of stealth and a skilled thief. His hoard is
Tom
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 next »

• Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • The Fantastic Fluke (The Fantastic Fluke, #1)
  • Earth Fathers Are Weird
  • The Assassin's Dragon (Fire and Valor #3)
  • By Fairy Means or Foul (Starfig Investigations, #1)
  • Marked by Death (Necromancer, #1)
  • Dark Flame (Flame Born, #1)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • One Bite With a Vampire (Hidden Species #2)
  • Of Secrets and Wolves (Winsford Shifters #1)
  • Daddy's Girl
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • The King's Dragon (Fire and Valor #1)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Stop Kidding Around (Magical Mates #2)
  • Elf Defence (Adventures in Aguillon #2)
  • Wildfire (Sons of Olympus #1)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)