Start by marking “The Orphans (Dead Things #1.1)” as Want to Read:
The Orphans (Dead Things #1.1)

The Orphans

(Dead Things #1.1)

Originally published as Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things, The Orphans is the first of three special edition serials with new cover art featuring scenes from the book. Enjoy the story in a new format and collect them all!

Welcome to Belle Haven where the paranormal is normal and being human is a liability.

Kai Lonergan is struggling through math class when he gets a n
Kindle Edition
Published May 1st 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Orphans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Orphans

Start your review of The Orphans (Dead Things #1.1)
Jessica Landberg
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked from the beginning of this book, and since we get multiple POV's it was really hard to put it down! All characters have their own personalities, so it was pretty easy to keep them apart, although there's plenty of them. I very much enjoyed the bantering between the characters, it made me smile a lot.

The world building was great, the characters likeable, and there's a lot of mystery still to be unraveled! I'm not sure where this is going to end, but I sure want to find out!

* I receiv
☆Joycedale☆
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! I can't believe it's not more popular than it seems. If you like paranormal teen you need to read this. ...more
Aimee
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! The characters are fantastic. We get to see multiple points of view and each character is completely distinct. I think this speaks to the skill of the author. So far my fav characters are Mace and Rhys. I am predicting good things for these too. I think Ember has some promise too.

I don't want to give away any of the story because I want you to enjoy discovering every second of it.

Happy Reading!
Crystal Gray
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the changes being made to this series. The original book 1 was split into parts. THIS is part 1, so when I state it was a little long in my original review remember that I meant as a whole (almost 500 pages).

I read this almost 5 years ago when it was originally released. Here is my review.

I really liked this book! At some points it seemed like a little too much description but by the end WOW, I am so happy I bought the second one this morning! This is a twist on the paranormal that I have
S K
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very promising start

This series is off to a fantastic start. I'm not a fan of Ember was a character yet, but I think that's because she's the most realistic teenager of the group, and teens can be a bit annoying. Kai and the rest of the pack really stole the show for me and I hope they get even more focus in upcoming books. I can feel this is going to be a great mystery and I'm excited to see where it goes.
Lisa P
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cemeteries, mystery men, and mean girls

This is such an awesome series! It really has a little bit of everything. There are a ton of characters to get to know and they all have distinguished personalities. The digs on Twilight are funny and there are several other pop culture references. If you love magic, spells, shifters, witches, and mystery, secrets, dysfunctional family, humor, and crushes then you will not be disappointed.
Candi Garland
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you read her other books don't spend $

I love her writing...but I have read all her books...but this is literally just the first few chapters of her book "Children Shouldn't Talk to Dead Things".

I would never give her a bad rating because her writing is riveting but I have been waiting for over a year for her next book...this is not what I was waiting for.
Tracey Milito
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

This is a great story. I love Ember and can’t wait for more of her story. This is a must read from me.
Ola Adamska
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-2020
I love how this story had changed since the first time I read it (it was HUGE - bout 500 pages...) this story comes with a still really intriguing premise that introduces us to quite a few different paranormal species. Those species are represented in the POVs as well, each very different so you can easily tell who is who when there are more than 3 POVs.
Mostly when it comes to PNR we usually get mostly what we usually read in other books, but not here, Ms. McAtee pulled definitely more unusual s
Ellen Williams
Apr 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great beginning to a coming of age magical book

I like this series (I read an earlier peeing version and this is my re-read to get with the new additions). It’s an interesting take on a coming of age into magic and supernatural worlds. Cousins who have been separated for 12 years find each other when one cousin is supposed to collect the soul of the other but prevents her death. She was already supposed to be dead based on the towns tragic past but now it’s been found out Ember has been in New Or
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
I have read this series before it was broken down into smaller books. I will definitely say that with it being fewer pages, I felt like the story flowed so much better and didn't feel so drawn out. I love this book and really enjoyed getting to meet the characters again. Ember is completely a loner and hangs out with dead people ( doing makeup on the deceased). She ends up meeting Mace and things just go completely off course. She ends up in Florida and finds out what she thought about life was ...more
Emily
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ya
I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

The biggest bummer is that I need to write a review for this before I can start book 2!

This was an awesome start to this series and I enjoyed how different the characters who get chapters were. No voices sounded the same, there weren't repetitive phrases, they're reactions weren't ridiculous. It made sense. They weren't perfect and they were relatable.

Seriously can't wait for more Mace and Ember, Quinn and Tristan, but most of al
Kimi
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to reading the rest of this series!

Let me start of by saying how I love that it’s such a super fun fast read. I adore anything paranormal supernatural. this did not disappoint. I was able to read this in one go. Which is great. I love the point of view style as well. I’m hooked. This definitely seems like it will be an awesome series for sure!

When i finished reading I was actually surprised I thought it would just keep going haha. Which in my opinion makes this a good story beca
Em
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have a tendency to find a lot of YA series to be overhyped and underwhelming but this...OMG THIS SERIES. So freaking good. I love how it's split into episodes as it gives it almost a TV show feel (which the story definitely lends itself to) and I really loved seeing so many different perspectives of what's happening. At no point did I feel like it was slow or lacking. The story is also so LOL funny. My favorites are definitely Mace and Kai! ...more
Emily
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t put the book down! The author takes you on an epic journey that returning to reality is almost heart wrenching. It’s nearly impossible not to love the characters, they are so well developed that they all but come alive. There is something here for everyone.

I received a free copy of the book in exchange for my unbiased review
BookishWeeb Olivia
What a lovely paranormal read! With many points of view from different characters, to quite distinguished personalities. It has humor with dysfunctional families, mystery and suspense, and of course, the supernatural aspect! Lovely read! Can't wait for the next ones! ...more
Annamarie
Oct 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

This book was by a new to me author and I really enjoyed the story.

I liked that all of the characters, they all have different personalities which is great as it gives the story diversity. My favourite character so far is Quinn, he’s the only human amongst the group but he's every ones friend. I also liked Tristin she seems to be the only one worried about Ember being there and she is worried for her brother who didn’
Zachary Chopchinski
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This series is one of my favorites. The characters are diverse and well done, the world building is great and the snark keeps me entertained for hours. Do yourself a favor and pick up with series!
Lea Cherry
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
At first, the story felt different to what I ended up finding out, but that doesn’t mean that it’s a terrible book though. In the moddle of the book it felt a bit bland but soon become interesting to know what happens and who everyone is.
I.A. Cintron
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Even though Martina just split her books into smaller ones and I already read them, here I am wondering what's going to happen next and acting all surprised when something happens ...more
CrazyCat (Alex)
Tanya veitch
Nov 29, 2020
Janice perry
Oct 13, 2020

• Shade (Oracle of Senders, #1)
  • Chaos at Prescott High (The Havoc Boys, #2)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • Five Fights (The Game of Life, #5)
  • When the Dead Come A Knockin' (The Veil Diaries, #2)
  • When The Dead Have It Easy (The Veil Diaries #7)
  • Two Footsteps (The Game of Life, #2)
  • Four Hearts (The Game of Life, #4)
  • Three Breaths (The Game of Life, #3)
  • One Fear (The Game of Life, #1)
  • One Moment Please (Wait With Me, #3)
  • Mayhem At Prescott High (The Havoc Boys, #3)
  • Secrets From the Grave (The Veil Diaries, #6)
  • Reese (Pack of Misfits #2)
  • Reaper Reborn (The Grimm Brotherhood, #3)
  • Love and Decay: Revolution: Episode Eleven (Love and Decay: Revolution #11)
  • Ocean's Dagger (Chronicles of the Seventh Realm, #3)
  • Fae's Deception (Queens of the Fae Book 1)
Martina McAtee is a USA Today Bestselling author and the winner of the 2016 Reader’s Favorite Gold Medal for her first book, Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things. She lives in Jupiter, Florida with her teenage daughters, her best friend, two attack Chihuahuas, and two shady looking cats. By day she is a registered nurse, but by night she writes young adult books about reapers, zombies, werewol ...more

Dead Things (10 books)
  • The Swamp Witch (Dead Things #1.2)
  • The Ritual (Dead Things #1.3)
  • The Funeral (Dead Things #2.1)
  • The Lizard King (Dead Things #2.2)
  • The Legion (Dead Things #2.3)
  • The Big Top (Dead Things #3.1)
  • The Caladrius (Dead Things #3.2)
  • The Innocent (Dead Things #3.3)
  • The Librarian (Dead Things #4.1)