Jump to ratings and reviews

Birth of the Fae: Locked Out of Heaven

About the author

Danielle M. Orsino

6 books97 followers
Don't forget to follow Danielle on IG @birthoftheFae_Novel and on Bookbub

Danielle M. Orsino is an award-winning fantasy novelist whose lifelong vision is to create whimsical realms that her readers can escape to. Her compelling word-weaving pays homage to a multitude of personal muses, from Chris Claremont and George Pérez (both famous comic book writers), to Anne Rice, Jim Henson, and Wonder Woman. She is a champion cosplayer known for her DC interpretations. Danielle’s Birth of the Fae series is published by 4 Horsemen Publications.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (4%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 92 reviews
Profile Image for ✩ Yaz ✩.
471 reviews1,096 followers
November 29, 2020
3.5 - ⭐️⭐️⭐️💫

What would you do if all you knew abandoned you?

Let me begin by saying that Birth of the Fae is a truly unique book. It's uniqueness stems the lush world-building.

The experience was similar to witnessing an artist turn a blank canvas into a master piece.

The imagery it presented managed to keep me captivated despite the weak existence of a plot, if you're a fan of world-building do not let that fact deter you from reading this.

As the title hints at, the story revolves around Angels abandoned by their Creator in a world unknown to them for they consider the Shining Kingdom their home. Specifically, there were two factions of Angels abandoned after the war with Lucifer: Virtues and Power Angels.

No longer finding a way to reach their celestial realm, the Angels from the two factions begun to pave their own path in this world.

Denouncing their Angelic lineage since their wings decayed, they attained for themselves the name Fae.

The Fae are ruled by two courts: The Court of Light ruled by Queen Aurora whom was known as Xi, a former Virtue Angel. The Court of Dark ruled by King Jarvok whom was a former Power Brigade Angel.

As humans come to existence in their world, the growing tension between the two courts simmers over human worship which they find to be an indicator of power.

The Fantastical setting of the story is powerful and there is a fairytale-esque feel to it. It's also clear that there is a tint of religion in the background.

It is purely fantasy and to my delight there were other creatures besides angels that make an appearance: merfolk, faeries, gnomes, dragons and talking animals.

It is such an impressive reimagination of the birth of civilization. Despite the Fae residing in an invisible terrain within the same world called The Veil, their contact with humans shaped the growth of civilization.

I must mention that I did enjoy some of the interactions between the characters, especially Aurora and Serena's friendship which for me was so wholesome.

Although I did state that the plot was weak, its progression was slow but it still managed to include some political intrigue and power plays that made the story more interesting for me. Each Court has their own Factions and their owns beliefs which often clash. Knowing that this book not a stand-alone, I'm curious to see what will happen in the sequel.

Although I was missing some more action, it eventually got me invested midway and the ending of the book sets up nicely for the next one.
Profile Image for Thais • tata.lifepages •.
356 reviews444 followers
November 5, 2020
Birth of the fae is such a mesmerizing and fairytale-like read. The writing is descriptive and eloquent. In the beginning of the novel I could really feel the angels anguish and betrayal as they are cast out of heaven. It is such an emotional read, I could clearly picture every scene in my mind and I suffered alongside Xi and Jarvok as they wept.

"No one knew the nature of this star streaking in the sky, but they felt the anguish. The ache and determination were obvious. The yearning to return home was the same for all of them."

The story has some religious backbone to it, even connecting events to Moses and the red sea. I love how we come to learn how Dryads, Merfolk, Pixies and all these fairytale creatures came to be and we follow Xi, who becomes queen Aurora, and how she creates the Court of Light. I love the entire concept of the two factions of angels, the Virtues and Power Angels, and both were beautiful in their own way. Not only do we have a fairy-tale like written story, but the book itself is also absolutely stunning, I love the elegant look of the hardcover and all the extra little perks it has like the map, and the chapter titles which are all gorgeous! The book is short and left me longing for more, I am already excited for the upcoming novels in the series!
Profile Image for Chiara | _ckarys.
379 reviews261 followers
February 16, 2022
LOCKED OUT OF HEAVEN was an immense surprise, and a real treat for someone who loves vast world building as much as I do. The story explores the origin of the fae, starting after the Fall of Lucifer, in a time when the fae were still angels. Abandoned by their Creator, locked out of heaven for reasons unbeknownst to them, and with their wings slowly decaying, a group of angels renounce their angelic lineage and split into two factions: the Court of Light, led by Queen Aurora, and the Court of Dark, led by King Jarvok. We follow the story of these two factions across centuries, as new species are born and during their first interactions with humans. Queen Aurora and King Jarvok have different ideas when it comes to governing their kin, but the one thing they can agree on is this: worship is power, and they are determined to hold on to it. How much trouble will this create? Well, you’ll have to read the book to find out!

Knowing the series’s name is literally Birth of the Fae, I was expecting to read some sort of fae origin story, but was completely taken by surprise by the biblical elements featured. The author did a fantastic job adapting these aspects to her world building, which elevated her world to truly epic levels. I admit that it was a lot of information to take in, especially at the start of the book, where the world building prevailed on characters and the pacing felt a little slow, but the concept is really interesting and the story becomes more engaging as you progress. What made it even better is that the author didn’t limit her characters into a simple good versus evil story. In fact, both the Court of Dark and the Court of Light have their fair share of both within them, which not only made for interesting politics, but it made the characters much more complex and interesting.

Aurora was a fantastic protagonist. I loved her resilience and her ability to adapt in order to lead her people, and I loved the girl power she and her friends brought to the story. However, my favorite moments were those in the Court of Dark. Not only did I absolutely love King Jarvok’s complex and tormented character, but I adored the camaraderie in his court (and Lieutenant Zion, who was my brand of cheeky and flirty). Unfortunately, the majority of the story focuses on the Court of Light, which means many of the interesting elements of the Court of Dark were only mentioned, but not fully explored. I hope to see more of that in the following books!

Thank you to the author for gifting me a copy. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Shalini Singh.
158 reviews53 followers
October 5, 2020
As some big publishers once remarked, a good title is the title of a successful book, Birth of the Fae: Locked Out of Heaven brought me to my knees with the spectacular package which the author sent my way, magical and apt. @birthofthefae_novel

The book binding and the overall look is worth the wait! i think it's a really handsome piece of literature.I have hated refinement in fantasy stories and even though the story was mediocre in size, the heart grew fonder with the modification of the ease with which the author conveys the story. What I have started liking in fantasy after loads of trial and errors is that one cannot have art without a public taste and  have a public taste without a sense of style and quality which is best associated with fantasy or fiction.

It is episodic and the emphasis shifts around from character to character and it is, as a mystery, overcomplicated, but as a story of Fae- very magical and dream-like. It has no violence in it at all; the violence is all sweet and sour. After reading a dozen faux-naïf stylized fantasy books, this tale with a strong premonition that I was going to enjoy it very much, stayed all along my reading journey. Fae on day 3 seemed like a companion, as I made my way towards the flight at the airport, after reaching the airport a few hours earlier so that I could catch a break with this book in my hectic days of no end.

Dark Fae alongside Light Fae play in the shadows of primitive humanity as they build their magical world. Birth of the Fae: Locked Out of Heaven is an epic fantasy adventure of heartbreak, rebirth, and hope that examines the bonds of family, friendship, and love. How two angels who are left after the Green war on earth, quake in a land of mysteries. Denouncing their angelic status, they become Fae. The Court of Light, led by Queen Aurora, a former Virtue Angel, and the Court of Dark, ruled by King Jarvok, a former Power Brigade Angel are two kingdoms of plenty. Lot of elemental magick to kick you off and around whilst the prose teleports the visual rich rhythm of the story. If only I had read this earlier!
Profile Image for Jakki (BizzyBookBish).
169 reviews12 followers
November 23, 2021
This book was absolutely fascinating! Completely original and draws you in from the very first page. Starting with the fall of Lucifer and the division of the Shining Kingdom. I found this take on a story I’ve known all my life to be completely fresh and captivating. The premise is that angels were abandoned to live on earth and that they turn into the fae and creatures that one would expect from a fantasy novel. The writing is what really spoke to me, it has an almost melodic cadence to it in places. A poetic telling. Definitely will recommend this to those who love stories of angels and fae. Anyone looking for a beautifully written Original tale.
Profile Image for Angel (Bookn.All.Night).
1,353 reviews26 followers
November 21, 2021
I haven't read this author before and wow, what a pleasant surprise. I love Angels and stories about them, but this is the first fantasy with Angels I've read that also has them turning into Fae and other magical creatures and beings. Such a unique premise and so well done. The writing is beautiful and really draws you into the story. Definitely recommend this one.

I sincerely appreciate the publisher and The Book Scenes for providing me with a review copy. All opinions expressed herein are mine and mine alone.
Profile Image for (old.enough.for.fairytales).
420 reviews120 followers
February 14, 2022
I’ve never really stopped to think about where the Fae species came from, but I thought this book’s explanation was absolutely fascinating! And was totally unexpected but really made so much sense.

While parts of this book did feel slow, I overall enjoyed the book and was eager to start book two. Danielle has a unique writing style that I enjoyed and I definitely recommend this book for lovers of all things Fae!

Thanks to the author for gifting me a copy. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Ariesy Perdana.
36 reviews
January 6, 2022
This is an epic tale about leadership, friendship, and equality. You'll find not only angels, mermaid, dryad (a very underrated fantasy creature ❤️) and some others. Danielle M. Orsino is so good at writing emotional scenes between characters with a very nice choice of words. A remarkable fantasy story fantasy-lovers should give a try.
Profile Image for Meigan.
1,084 reviews65 followers
December 2, 2020
”Desdemona’s eyes widened and she dropped to her knees, bowing her head. Aurora pulled her up. “No, you do not kneel to me or anyone ever again! Blind faith is what led us here. Never again. Loyalty to the kin, not to a crown.” — BIRTH OF THE FAE: LOCKED OUT OF HEAVEN by Danielle M. Orsino

When they suddenly and painfully find themselves locked out of Heaven, the angels have no choice but to suffer their fate or reinvent themselves, and they wisely choose to reinvent. With no more Creator to which they serve, the Fellowship Aegis of Earth is born. The protectors of earth and humanity. Though not every Fae is on the same page with their core values and what they seek to achieve, and thus introduces the Court of Light and the Court of Dark, ruled by Queen Aurora and King Jarvok respectively. Both were there the day they were denied entry into Heaven, and those circumstances and events led them to form each of their courts, which they’ve built around their own intrinsic beliefs. And as with most opposing factions, there is no happy medium or sense of peace — war is on the horizon, with Aurora and Jarvok each promising to destroy the other.

BIRTH OF THE FAE was such an interesting and fun adventure that takes the idea of Creation and puts a little spin on it. Not only are the main characters servants of the Creator, but in turn become Creators themselves when they are denied by their own. Author Danielle M. Orsino took such a well known group of mythological creatures and put an entirely unique and new spin on them, and it’s certainly one I’ve not read about before. But don’t worry! All of the familiar and beloved fae creatures are still the same ones we know and love, it’s just their origins that are tweaked. But seriously — an angel turned mermaid? Heck yes.

Bottom line — BIRTH OF THE FAE is a unique tale that introduces readers to this fantastical and adventurous world of Light and Dark fae. This world is just getting started and I can’t wait to see what the next installment brings for Aurora, Jarvok, and, most importantly, the humans who are at the center of this magickal world.

*Many thanks to R&R Booktours and the author for providing a copy for review.
Profile Image for book_loversdreams Betty.
93 reviews7 followers
March 6, 2021
What would happen if God’s Angel’s were locked out of heaven and even worse they had no idea why. Well in this novel we get a peek at what it might look like if gods most important angels lose their wings are no longer allowed back through the gates of Heaven and can not even get god to explain why.

Angels are not given names in heaven and so must find a new way to survive and exist on earth. So they take on names and that is when we meet Xi who becomes Queen Aurora, which is the queen of the dawn. She has spent time adjusting to and helping those who are stuck on earth and assisting them in “settling petty squabbles and other such nonsense.” Because of this she is highly esteemed by all and they consider her to be Queen of “The Court of Light.” She is in charge of all factions and all together they are called the Fae. The Fae are the”Fellowship Aegis of Earth.” Aegis meaning the protectors.

Where we have light well we most often have dark. Thus we meet King Jarvok who is in charge of the “Court of Dark.” He does not rule with kindness but with cruelty and his factions are mostly made up of dragons and horrid killers called “the weepers”

Now both sides encounter humans. They are not sure how to initially handle them but both sides figure it out in their own way. The most important thing they discover is that humans should not be able to see them. Thus we encounter “The Veil.”

Verdict:

Ms. Orsino has written a beautiful fantasy novel that draws on our imagination. The characters are described in such ways that your mind works to imagine such beauty as well as darkness. I give this book a 4/5. Time to fill in the blanks my angelic adventurers. Step into “The Veil” and meet all the mystical and fantastical creatures
Profile Image for Madhu MaBookYard -.
1,164 reviews31 followers
December 3, 2020
“There is light and dark in everything. Even in our not-so-proud moments. I did not choose Oblivion that day. I chose a new path, and now I must share it.”
[🌟🌟🌟.25]
Birth of the Fae had a really good take on the concept of Fallen Angels and Fae origin and dealt with gritty circumstances, faith, self confidence and the need for acceptance and love. It's more of a plot based story that followed our two fallen Angels : the Virtue who picked the path of Love and a Power Angel dead set on revenge and strength after he lost the last of his hope.
First, I absolutely love the concept of the story. I have read a lot of books about Fae and Fallen Angels, but not one connecting them both. The story started off with a lot of graphic description about how fallen were betrayed by their own and mind you it was very detailed. So make sure to keep that in mind. I really liked the Characters introduced in the book and how every one of them went through the change and adapted to live on Earth. Aurora drew strength from her people and that was really interesting to read about and it made her strong. Jarvok had an interesting take and the way he was pushed towards his choices was something I would've loved to read more about.
Coming to the characters and story flow, I think Desdemona and Selena were my favourite characters. They not only had amazing personalities, but they were stronger than they gave themselves credit for. Especially the scene where the 'idiot times four' (as Selena is an amazing female with the best sass) messed up, both of them became the best thing that happened in the scene. I really hope we get to see them more in the next installment. Coming to the storyline, I really liked the concept of the story and it's told in a very descriptive and whimsical way. Since it's mostly plot driven, and happened over a millenium (which includes the stone age and how humans came to be) I wanted to know more about two things. One, Jarvok's Pov when he found the humans and the Light Court; Two, Desdemona's Pov once she met Zion. It was a little slow to start, but gave you so much information to process, and then picked up speed. Again it kinda slowed down in pacing towards the end. I had difficulty figuring out whose Pov I was reading because it kept changing in between without chapter headings and it kinda affected my reading flow a bit.
Overall, this book has so much potential to have a great Character and story arc in the next volume. It has really good plot line, good Characters and writing style, descriptive and lyrical writing and a lot of high stakes situation. I may recommend the series once I read the second book, but for now, it has a lot of potential!
Profile Image for Somya jain.
78 reviews8 followers
October 5, 2020

Blurb:
Abandoned by their creator, two factions of angels remain on earth after the Great War with Lucifer. These Virtues and Power Angels struggle to comprehend their Creator's plan while their wings, a symbol of their angelic lineage, slowly and painfully decay. Unaware of one another, the angels learn to survive and reinvent themselves. With no hope of returning to the Shining Kingdom, both groups denounce their angelic lineage and develop into their own factions. They call themselves the "Fae." This is their story. The Fae world is ruled by two distinct courts: the Court of Light, led by Queen Aurora, a former Virtue Angel, and the Court of Dark, ruled by King Jarvok, a former Power Brigade Angel. The two monarchs have opposing views on how to govern their kin and, more importantly, the way humanity plays into their survival. The one belief they agree on is human worship equals power.
Read out the book to know how the two go about capturing and maintaining power.

The book is well penned that it takes you into an imaginary fantasy world. The world building within is very captivating, you will feel like part of that world. There are a lot of characters in the book, the characters have been beautifully developed. I m sure they will show tremendous growth in upcoming parts of this series.

The plot line is very intriguing and book is well paced to keep the readers hooked. The book cover is so beautifully designed and it’s and alluring. The story line is very imaginative, has great action sequences.

It was a very engaging read. Looking forward to reading more of her work ♥️
Profile Image for Fu reads.
65 reviews13 followers
December 4, 2020
"I will rise again, and it will not be by Your blessings but by my own mastery! I will fly with my own wings.".

The story revolves around Angels abandoned by their Creator: He has closed the gates of the Shining Kingdom and the Virtues and the Power Angels, two factions of angels, have been abandoned after the war with Lucifer. They are stuck in this world, their wings have decayed and they have denounced their Angelic lineage. The groups of angels develop into separate factions: The Court of Light ruled by Queen Aurora a former virtue Angel and The Court of Dark ruled by King Jarvok a former Power Brigade Angel. Tension between the two courts starts growing, as the two monarchs have opposing views on how to govern their kin.

Birth of the Fae: Locked Out of Heaven is the debut epic fantasy novel from Danielle M. Orsino, and what a great debut it is! It is truly an unique book, that has blew me away with its astonishing world-building: this book really has the ability to pull the reader into the fantasy world.
I absolutely love the concept of the story, I loved how the author connected Fae and Fallen Angels, it's something I've never thought of before. It is a story of heartbreak, rebirth and hope: at the beginning I could really feel Xi's heartbreak as the Angels were betrayed by their own. The character development is also really interesting to read, as the Angels have to let go of their previous status and adjust to their new role and their new home.
Although the plot was weak and its progression was slow, I really liked this book and I really am excited about book 2, especially seen how the book ha ended.
Profile Image for Tati Alvarez.
Author 3 books98 followers
January 28, 2021
Wow! I was not expecting to like this book as much as I did. I think it is because there is only so much you can do with the fae and I felt like I have read all of those storylines. I was so happy I was wrong!

Birth of the Fae answers the question I have always wanted to know, where have the fae come from? Orsino does an amazing job to creating this backstory. Former angels, known as either Power angels or Virtues, had been locked out of heaven after the great war with Lucifer, despite having one. They had all felt as if their creator had turned their back on His children, leaving them feeling lost and hopeless.

The former angels, once realizing that He would never come back for them, completely turned their back on him. They renamed themselves and took different forms, thusly creating the court of light and the court of darkness. Within both courts, the former angels took on many different appearances, from fae, to mermaids, to dragons. And everything in between!

To say that this story is extremely original would be an understatement. Orsino crafted this beautiful world, weaving in biblical elements, along with various mythologies. I had such a fun time reading this book. It also did not feel like a heavy world building book, even though this entire book is setting up the new world the courts have made. Orsino crafted the story beautifully and found a way to tell the story without overloading the reader with information.

There were a few slow parts and things that seemed a little to obvious, but those were far and few between. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a new fae book that tells a new story!
Profile Image for Jayme.
44 reviews21 followers
April 14, 2022
“𝙏𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙨 𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙙𝙖𝙧𝙠 𝙞𝙣 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜, 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣 𝙞𝙣 𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙣𝙤𝙩-𝙨𝙤-𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙙 𝙢𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙨. 𝙄 𝙙𝙞𝙙 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙘𝙝𝙤𝙤𝙨𝙚 𝙊𝙗𝙡𝙞𝙫𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙙𝙖𝙮. 𝙄 𝙘𝙝𝙤𝙨𝙚 𝙖 𝙣𝙚𝙬 𝙥𝙖𝙩𝙝, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙄 𝙢𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙨𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙩.”

-𝑳𝒐𝒄𝒌𝒆𝒅 𝑶𝒖𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒆𝒏, Danielle M. Orsino

What a 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭 𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲! It's a unique take on how the fae were born. And I really like how the author wove in human events.

This book is 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗱𝗲𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗶𝗽𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗲 and does a great job painting a picture of what's happening. It was a little slow for me in the beginning, but it was a lot of world building. It really picked up half way through and sets up book 2 nicely!

*| 𝕊𝕪𝕟𝕠𝕡𝕤𝕚𝕤 |*

Abandoned by their creator, two factions of powerful angels remain on earth after the Great War with Lucifer. They struggle to comprehend their Creator's plan while their angel wings, a symbol of their angelic lineage, slowly and painfully decay. With no hope of returning to the Shining Kingdom, two groups of angels denounce their angelic lineage and develop into separate factions - the Court of Light, led by Queen Aurora, a former Virtue Angel, and the Court of Dark, ruled by King Jarvok, a former Power Brigade Angel. The two monarchs have opposing views on how to govern their kin, but the one belief they agree on is that human worship equals power.
𝑳𝒐𝒄𝒌𝒆𝒅 𝑶𝒖𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒊𝒔 𝒂𝒏 𝒆𝒑𝒊𝒄-𝒇𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒂𝒔𝒚 𝒂𝒅𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒃𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒌, 𝒓𝒆𝒃𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒉, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒉𝒐𝒑𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒆𝒙𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒇𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒚, 𝒇𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒑, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆. 𝑰𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒂 𝒇𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒄 𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒈𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒖𝒔 𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒍 𝒊𝒏 𝒂 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅, 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑳𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝑭𝒂𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒑𝒐𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒆𝒍��𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒂𝒍 𝒎𝒂𝒈𝒊𝒄𝒌 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒃𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒂𝒘 𝒑𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒓𝒂𝒈𝒐𝒏-𝒓𝒊𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑫𝒂𝒓𝒌 𝑭𝒂𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒐𝒓𝒔.

🌟I read this book as part of the Thine Eyes of Mercy Birth of the Fae book 2 Blog Tour by @bookandwinelovers
Profile Image for Jessica Bronder.
2,013 reviews21 followers
November 30, 2020
When Lucifer was cast out of heaven, several other angels were locked out too. They may have fought in the war or were simply doing what they were created for but they find themselves locked out all the same. They try to get an answer from God but he refuses to reply.

Hurt and betrayed about all they can do is to continue on. Some follow Queen Aurora, a former Virtue Angel, who creates the Court of the Light Fae. King Jarvok, a former Power Brigade Angel has other ideas on how to run the Court of the Dark Fae. They may run their courts differently but both have decided worship from the humans is the ultimate goal.

I really enjoyed this story. This is a powerful world and I couldn’t help but feel bad for the angels. I be locked out of the only home you know and be ignored by the one being that created you, gave you a purpose, and won’t even explain why is just heartbreaking. I really understood the motivation for both angels.

The thing I loved the most was the different creatures from mythology that we find in this world. From mermaids to pixies to dragons, do I have to say more? I also like how we have stories in the bible mixed into the book also.

This is a wonderful start to a series. There are a lot of characters and development in this short story. I admit that I took a little to get into the story but once I did it took off. I am really excited to see where this is going to go in the next book, especially with how it ended.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. I voluntarily chose to read and post an honest review.
Profile Image for Vanessa (ve_xo).
394 reviews67 followers
December 12, 2020
This is exactly what I needed to get thru this stressful academic week. The angelic aspect was so emotional! This is the story of angels being casted out from heaven after losing a battle. I was captivated by the plot and the imagery. I loved the inclusion of fae along with the powers and virtues of the angels. The simplicity of the ruling without any complicated additions...light and dark immediately grasped my attention! The details in the book leading up to the building of the world were imaginative and captivating.

The addition of multiple supernatural creatures was perfect. Aside from fae and angels, we see gnomes, dryads, merfolk, and dragons. I loved the talking animals! The story was filled with dreamy and intriguing scenes that kept me wanting more. I tend to gravitate to fae stories but hardly ever read angels stories, this was definitely a pleasant surprise! The pace was a little bit slower than I would have liked but it didn't take away from the fact that I was still loving the story!

Another detail I liked were the names of the rulers! Court of light belonging to Aurora and Court of dark belonging to Jarvok. Both former angels, so interesting to see them acclimate to their new life integrating with humans. The religious aspect of the story was very interesting, the former angels find themselves struggling to come to terms with their new life along with the questioning of what they have always believed in.

Thank you so much to the author for sending this my way! I look forward to learning more, this was a great start of the courts!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Victoria Colotta.
Author 3 books328 followers
January 1, 2021
Highly Caffeinated Quick Thoughts: With a vivid and distinctive voice, the author brings to life the characters to start their journey in “The Veil.”

BIRTH OF THE FAE is a unique book in the sense that the reader is experiencing a beginning of sorts. We are entering into a world that is starting its journey to expand and develop. It is a gift that Orsino has given us.

In this richly developed world, the author captivates her readers with the magic and creatures encountered. It is her ability to weave together fantasy with engaging characters that are definitely on a par with her contemporary storytellers and those who have come before her. So many times, the environments and societies are established in fantasy novels, and we enter into them fully formed. However, with the Court of Light and the Court of Dark, you can recognize it is the start of something.

This book is fantastical with all creatures you could possibly want to meet. It has the whimsy and intricate magic of a great fantasy novel. However, it also brings into the mix the ideology of Christian religion with fallen angels, the Creator’s plan, and the Great War with Lucifer. All in all, BIRTH OF THE FAE opens the reader to a new world dealing with the most basic of issues—good vs. evil. And through eloquence and a carefully constructed stage, the players will discover who they truly are.

Reviewer Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher and TLC Book Tours for an honest review.
Profile Image for Mhonchumi Kikon.
84 reviews
September 9, 2020
Author Danielle Orsino on her first series of Birth of Fae- Locked out of Heaven narrates a gripping tale of a dark yet a fantasy world of virtue and power. The book is so well written that it takes you on a imaginary world of fantasy and magic. TBH, it took me a while to come out of the world of angels after I finished reading the book. Everyone knows that a lot is expected from a debut author, and I feel Danielle as a debut writer passed the test. The plot line is intriguing and each of the character introduced to us is alluring and enticing. The cover of the book is totally not to be left without praising. It is beautiful.
A mix of mystery and magic, the 'Birth of Fae' narrates the tale of angels been cast out of heaven. On failing to comprehend their creator's plan while their wings (symbol of their angelic lineage), these virtue and power angels slowly and painful decay. they are unaware of one another, thus they are made to learn on how to survive and reinvent themselves. With no success to return to their shining kingdom, both groups denounce their angelic lineage and develop into their factions. Since a lot have been mentioned on the blurb on what the book is all about, I won't be going into more details.
Read the complete blog on my blog post: https://bit.ly/2Fhg7rs
Profile Image for John Kerry.
582 reviews258 followers
October 9, 2020
Birth of fae by Danielle Marie Orsino is an amazing work of fantasy adventure , which will take you on a magical journey to an intriguing new world of angels , virtues and dragon riding dark fae warriors.

The most prominent factor that make a good fantasy novel is the emotional connection between the reader and the fantastical subject matter, the presence of thought provoking content , and the ability to pull the reader into the fantasy world , and you will find everything mentioned above in the writings of Danielle Marie Orsino.

Since this is the debut novel by Danielle Marie Orsino , birth of fae : locked out of heaven is the type of book that people will treasure.

Steeped in unrivalled magic and other worldliness it's sweeping fantasy will touch the hearts of the young and the old alike.

Birth of fae is a magnificent tale of rebirth , heartbreak and hope . A book that will set the benchmark for all fantasy novels to come. Danielle's descriptive narrative beautifully depicts the world of angels.

It is hard to put into words the happiness that can only be felt while reading a fantasy book as good as this and anybody who has never read it should set aside some time to do so.

Is it the best fantasy book of all time?

In my opinion , yes.

A total different piece of art .

Must read for sure
Profile Image for _sassy_39.
1,484 reviews51 followers
September 25, 2020
Birth Of The Fae: Locked Out of Heaven is a fantasy story by the author Danielle M Orsino. Birth of the Fae is a story with vast characters and vast world. Queen Aurora is my favourite character. When Aurora got a chance to fulfill her promise as a friend and queen, she considered it as an opportunity.

Seeing everyone's belief in her, she agreed to help others in rebuilding a free society with hope and faith. Queen Aurora risked her own life and won other's heart. She became Queen of the Court of Life. Grab a copy of this book and read the entire story yourself to know what happens next.

The Veil map given at the beginning of the book gave me better idea of the world building. I really appreciate author's vivid imagination in creating the world of Fae. This story of good vs evil is so intriguing that you couldn't put the book down once you start reading it. Written in a simple language with smooth narration, I really enjoyed this story. Pick this book and go to the adventurous world full of angels, dragons, magic, mermaids, etc.
27 reviews
Read
October 14, 2020
Birth of the Fae: Locked out the heaven📚

My rating : 4.4/5 📚

🌻My review🌻:

📚Birth of the Fae: Locked out of the heaven is a mysterious fiction beautifully written by Danielle Morsino .

📚The Book One Volume-1 has 35 chapters.

📚I have been a fan of stories of angels and Lucifer and this novel has it all.

📚The story started with banishing of the angels by the Creators who has the power to evolve into different species went to the dark phase afterwards.

📚They have struggled to understand the Creator's plan as a result of which their wings decayed.

📚And then they gave up their angelic family and formed their own groups led by Queen Aurora and King Jarvok separately.

📚The details how it feels when the wind hugs you to the hair of Serena, it is so so detailed and so beautifully presented.

📚The novel takes you to the world of magic and fantasy.

📚The vocabulary is rich and so structured and conversations feel real.

Final Thoughts:🌻

📚If you love magic and fantasy, this is for you! Indulge yourself to the world of mystery!
Profile Image for Smita Mohapatra.
34 reviews1 follower
October 14, 2020
 ⭐BOOK REVIEW TOUR⭐

🎀Author: Danielle Marie Orsino

My Ratings 4.7/5⭐

✨I was intruguited by the synopsis of the novel .The fae were originally angels ?I haven't read this before so I was interested to read this.

✨The book genere is mysterious fiction.The story is brilliantly narrated by the author.

✨The story starts when the angels are knocked out of the heaven and this has different effect on different angles.

✨The story is a full of adventure of heart break , rebirth , hope which examines the bond of family , friendship and love.

✨The story all revolves around a strong female protagonist queen aurora the twist and turns would not let reader to took their eyes off.

✨It is hard to put into words the happiness that can be felt while reading a fantasy book as good as this and anybody who has never read it should set aside sometimes to do so.

✨Since this is the debut novel of Danielle Marie ,Orsino Birth of Fae: locked out of heaven is the type of book that people will treasure.

✅I Will Recommend This Book Highly . Must Read
Profile Image for Jen.
384 reviews18 followers
November 20, 2020
I am delighted to be given a chance to read this book; I adored stories about angels and lucifer, the fight between good and evil, the mystery about the creator and his big plans, and of course, the whole Fae and their kingdoms. I mean, how exactly an angel would survive or deal with the fact that he or she must now co-exist with humans on earth, well unknowingly to humans at least because they are not allowed to go back to heaven clueless why. And if there are good faes, of course, there are dark Fae as well. I applaud Danielle’s creativity and imagination for taking us on Fae’s enchanting journey and challenges. The characters are beyond astonishing; each brought so much action and excitement in the story. I am also amazed by the animated illustration of the places, setting, and characters. The story pulled me right in, and I found myself so drawn to it. It tackles regrets, rebirth, camaraderie, survival, and the power of believing. I highly recommend this for those who seek mystery, adventure, and charm!
Profile Image for Crookedhouseofbooks.
93 reviews25 followers
November 23, 2020
Birth Of The Fae was an, overall, gorgeous and thought provoking fantasy, with it's own original concept of fairy realms.

I found myself entranced by the explanations and history of the characters and thoroughly enjoyed the depiction of their world. The world building was done very well and the characters hold a lot of promise for further development as the story will inevitably be continued. I love this about book series and it always makes me excited to continue the adventure and to see how the characters progress.

Most fantasy books that contain fairy-like creatures don't delve so deeply into creationism but this book did just that. Overall, everything was so well detailed and all of the characters are interesting to the point that several individual storylines could easily be developed and hold just as much interest to the reader.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

I am very much looking forward to continuing on with this saga and think that it will be a wonderful addition to the genre with its originality and attention to detail.
94 reviews
November 27, 2020
Detailed Review Of "Birth Of The Fae" By Danielle Marie

Thanks to author for the review copy.

Genre - Fiction

Ratings 4.9/5

It's really an amazing read as I usually don't like reading fantasy story but this one has kept me hooked for a long time and it grab your attention from the start.

Characters and the plot are also develop at a proper pace and it's a medium pace story.

It's an amazing story which kept you hooked with it throughout the end of it. There is no way back once you start reading it.

Vocabulary of the book is very good and the language of the book is also very easy so even if you're a beginner reader you can read it easily.

Author has narrated this story very nicely and writing style is also pretty good and error free.

The cover of the book is also very good and i really loved it. It really grab your attention on first look. It has a look of ancient and epic era.

Overall it's an amazing read and I highly recommend this book to all the readers who loves fantasy story.
Profile Image for Jessica.
997 reviews36 followers
December 17, 2020
Thanks to the publisher for the free copy in exchange for my honest review

Right off the bat, this book is gorgeous. They say never judge a book by its cover, but I’m one of those readers that 100% gets books because of the cover. Not only is it beautiful to look at, but the story inside is just as mesmerizing and fun. BIRTH OF THE FAE is book one in a new series and I think that’s good to know before starting, as you can kind of anticipate a lot of world-building and set up for what’s to come.

I think the only real drawback for me was the pacing was a little weird in some spots. It would be moving at a great speed to keep my interest and then you would hit a lull where it moved very slow. With a book that’s less than 300 pages I wouldn’t expect it to slow like that, but again, the only minor thing!

I’m really looking forward to seeing where the author takes it from here. Pushing through any possible lulls for you is so worth it and I just know it will all come into play when the series continues!
195 reviews11 followers
October 17, 2020
Qotd: Do you love stories involving fae or angels?

If yes, then Birth of the Fae is a book that may interest you. This is an epic fantasy story involving both good and evil. There are two Courts in the story. One is the Court of Light that is led by the Queen of Aurora and the other is the Court of Dark that is led by an evil King Jarvok. Court of Light uses love to garner respect from their human subjects but Jarvok uses fear.

In the story, Light Fae are standing against dragon riding Dark Fae Warriors. As a first time author, Danielle has done great job in building the captivating world. While reading the story, I felt like I am in the world created by Danielle and watching everything happening in front of me from my own eyes. If you love stories about fae, dragons, suspense, fantasy then this book would be a perfect read by you. Very well constructed plot. I definitely couldn't wait to read the next book by Danielle.

RATING 4.5/5
Profile Image for Dina E.
91 reviews3 followers
November 17, 2020
First, let me just say that this cover is beautiful! I know you aren’t supposed to judge a book by its cover but I’ve never really followed that rule. Honestly, I would have gotten this book alone based on the cover. Not only is cover of the book pretty, but the story itself was really interesting and fun to read!

This is the first book in the series and I think it is important to keep that in mind as you are reading. There is a lot of world building and setting up the author does, which I personally enjoyed, that some might find slow. The only thing that was off was the pacing. It was inconsistent at times and sometimes hard to follow.

The only problems this book has are minor and it is definitely worth finishing! If you love angels/demons, mythology, and origin stories, then this book is for you. I’m really looking forward to the next book, and I can’t wait to see everything play out!

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion. All thoughts are my own.
71 reviews2 followers
November 8, 2020
Birth of the way which is written so beautifully and in a very creative way.
The content is interesting and will make you excited to read more and more till you end the book .

The Book is all about the Dark Fae and the Light Fae where you will find alot of adventure for your never ending curiousity.

The book comprises of mystery and alot of emotions as in love ,hatred , hope and desires of a fantasy world .
This is a epic fantasy novel which will take you another world of drama and emotion.

The story puts focus on how the Light Fae encourage and protects all the humanity and the Dark Fae who evolve from the world of evil dragons. This brilliantly written chemistry between both would not get you bored even for a second.

Honestly I loved reading this book. It was a next level experience, investing in such epic fantasy novel. I would recommend every person to read this book for once.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 92 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.