Start by marking “The Getaway” as Want to Read:
The Getaway

The Getaway

Listening Length: 2 hours and 24 minutes

In this short thriller from number one New York Times best-selling authors Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, a young woman's dream getaway becomes her worst nightmare.

Prepare yourself for a transformative experience. Sometimes, life's setbacks contain hidden gifts. Here at Lakewood, you'll find the space to unwrap them.

A weekend at
Audible Audio, 3 pages
Published April 30th 2020 by Audible Original

To ask other readers questions about The Getaway, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Story Girl It was mentioned that Sebastian saw a video of an interview with some of the passengers, and it included an interview with Chloe. It probably showed h…moreIt was mentioned that Sebastian saw a video of an interview with some of the passengers, and it included an interview with Chloe. It probably showed her name and he tracked her down from that.(less)

Start your review of The Getaway
Liz
May 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
This was totally preposterous. I have liked Hendricks and Pekkanen’s other works. But this was silly, depending on a major suspension of belief. There’s a good reason audible was giving it away for free.
Jayme
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
SMALL CHOICES CAN CHANGE THE COURSE OF YOUR LIFE

An “oh so clever” 2 hour Audible Original, narrated by Kate Mara, and written by one of my favorite writing DUOS.

The title is a DOUBLE entendre too!

Wanna Getaway?
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Creepy and clever...
Shreya
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“𝑺𝒎𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒔 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆”

A short read, but one packed with loads of suspense and tension!

Chloe Powell, a burnt out, former press secretary, is in desperate need of a break from her stressful life. So when she comes across an alluring yoga retreat poster she decides it was a sign from the universe. But when she gets to the quaint, isolated getaway and meets its charismatic founder Sebastian, she soon realizes that there is more to the mysterious man and his retreat than m
Barbara
I listened to the audible original “The Getaway” written by the dream team of Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, narrated by Emily Bauer. For me, it was an OK listen. I think I expected more from the authors, given their previous endeavors. The creep factor is fair. The main character, Chloe Powell seemed too ignorant to be believable. She’s a press secretary for a losing candidate and needs a break. So she falls for this too good to be true weekend retreat. She’s duped into strange situations. ...more
Christina
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fun little diversion if you are looking for a 2.5 hour audiobook escape that is suspenseful and fast paced. I enjoy these two authors and it was fun listening to a shorter story because it got straight to the point and the action. As always with these two, the idea is totally original and twisted. The twist towards the middle was totally unexpected (at least to me) and fun. With a very innovative premise and a couple of very strong and interesting female characters who are smart and ca ...more
Alaina
Wow. This was good.

The Getaway was a pretty good short mystery. A lot happened within 2 hours that I wasn't fully prepared for. The twists and turns just kept getting better and better. Heck, even the cliffhanger ending kept me on the edge of my seat. No idea if there's going to be another novella or not but I wouldn't be mad if there was.

This book definitely made me think twice before going to any yoga retreat. Maybe any retreat.. unless there's wine? The thing that made me proud was watching t
Char
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
THE GETAWAY was given away as an Audible Original.

I had a hard time suspending my disbelief, mostly because the main character was not believable. It didn't make sense for her to do the things she did.

I feel like everyone was trying too hard with this story, the authors and the narrator. (The narrator was pretty good, it wasn't her fault that I didn't believe the story she was telling. She was trying to inject suspense and excitement, but they just weren't there.)

*I downloaded this from Audibl
 Leah
⤏Mystery Suspense
⤏Twisty-ish
⤏Not real good...not real bad
⤏Just kind of meh...and regrettably forgettable
⤏ But, hey it was free...

Erin
Oct 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I have really enjoyed every book by this author duo and it was certainly an intriguing enough storyline to keep me hooked. I enjoy these types of stories where the main protagonist is placed in a secluded location where they have to use their wits to survive.

Goodreads review published 06/10/20
Melissa
May 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'm glad this was short. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. It kept me mildly entertained while doing outdoor chores. ...more
Rodica
May 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Meh... not very convincing, though somewhat thrilling. The beginning is very slow, the ending is rushed. Also, why give Chloe a background in politics if it doesn’t play any role, nor it gives her any hints that she should take all the red flags more seriously? Maybe it would have been more interesting if this would have been a longer book, as the authors would have had the time to develop the story and build up the tensions. Maybe. Or maybe not.
Katie
May 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Not great. The characters and the plot are pretty weak, and I found it difficult to get invested at all. Very quick read, got this for free but I would still argue it wasn’t worth it.
Mike Finn
This Audible Orginal is only 144 minutes long but I quit after the first hour, at the end of the first chapter because the set up was transparent, the tone was exploitative and, instead of being concerned with the welfare of the main character, I found myself moving from being impatient with her to angry at her. I decided life was too short to spend more time on this.

I picked up 'The Getaway' because it was free from Audible and because I'd heard good things about "The Wife Between Us" from thes
Karen’s Library
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Having loved these two authors previous books, I was thrilled to see an Audible Original offered as one of May’s free audiobooks.

I thought this was a good, creepy story told from the POVs of 2 woman staying at a yoga retreat. I was completely invested in the characters and the story. The narration by Emily Bauer was pretty good.

Thanks Audible!!
Mayar El Mahdy
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I was so excited about this, and it did provide good entertainment, but it would've worked better as an actual novel or even a six-hour-audio.

Oddly, it wasn't about a cult. Everything about it was screaming IT'S A CULT! but no, sir, no cults here.

A little more buildup would have been great, but it's still worth the time to listen to it.
♥Rachel♥
Wow, that was a great, suspenseful story! It's short, but left an impression.

Kate Mara's performance was excellent. Quiet and compelling.
Tom Walsh
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a pretty well done retelling of an often done story of the damsel in distress. This reader was a little surprised by the plot twist toward the end, though it really didn’t change or improve the arc of the tale that much.

The Getaway would serve to pass the time on a brief plane ride or commute. 25 shades of obvious?! That’s all I can say for it.
Heather R
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Basic psychological thriller. Nothing really “wrong”’with it, but I expected a bit more from this dynamic writing duo.
Tracy Frenette
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty good for a short story, I love how those two writers each writes from a different character view point.
Misha (Heartsfullofreads)
The narrator did a great job with this one!

The Getaway was a very quick listen.

The story was incredibly far-fetched though.
My eyebrow was raised pretty much the entire time.
E.M. Jeanmougin
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: quickread, murder, audible
Overwhelmed with the stress of her job, campaign manager Chloe decides to take a long weekend at a yoga getaway, which promises to be a "transformative" experience. Unfortunately, it isn't exactly the sort of transformation Chloe's looking for.

~~ SPOILERS ~~

This book was included with my audible membership this month and it's only about 2 hours long, so I decided to give it a listen. I don't know if it was an issue with the actress or with the editing department, but the first 20-odd minutes s
Alan Teder
Basic Thriller
Review of the Audible Original audiobook (April 30, 2020)

The Getaway was my first reading of the Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen team who are the co-authors of several suspense hits such as The Wife Between Us and An Anonymous Girl. It is ironical that Hendricks the editor gets top billing over Pekkanen the writer due to alphabetical listing.

The Getaway was fairly standard fare with many implausible setups along the way. The main question being why someone smart enough to be a
Terry
Jun 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
AJ Holmes
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Crazy and deranged

This was a pretty good short ladled with several twists and turns. Sebastian is the cabin host at the Lakewood Retreat and there's more to him than meets the eye. Chloe was was really looking forward to her weekend getaway after all the stress of the campaign her boss had recently lost. However, I doubt she'll go on another for a very long time. In this short, we learn to be careful who you interact with and always trust your gut instincts because nothing is at all what it seem
Laur (hiatus)
What an absolute GEM this mini-thriller is! Had me hooked from the start!

Chloe Powell needs and desperately wants a break from the bustle of Washington DC. A flier posted at her yoga studio leads her to the getaway, which looks amazing: organic meals, celebrity testimonials, and a serene private property within driving distance of the city. After she arrives there, nothing seems to fit the flyer. From the beginning, something is off about the chauffeur that picks her up. Upon arriving, the pict
A Critical Reader
Sep 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
There seems to be one running theme when it comes to books Audible gives away for free, and that theme is "this is trash". The Getaway is no exception. It's banal to the point that Hendricks and Pekkanan being described in the blurb as "#1 New York Times bestselling authors" genuinely horrifies me. If anybody still has doubts that the end of Western civilization is upon us, then the fact that authors like this manage to sell books, and apparently in large quantities, should be proof enough.

As a
Jay DeMoir
May 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
*sighs heavily*
though I've enjoyed Greer and Sarah's books before, this entry honestly sucked. It was flat out boring. There wasn't anything suspenseful about it or thrilling, either.
Cassandra Joseph
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Strange and a little predictable, but overall kept my interest, so that’s good.

• Inside Jobs: Tales from a Time of Quarantine
  • Sea Wall / A Life
  • Henrietta & Eleanor: A Retelling of Jekyll and Hyde
  • Second Skin
  • The Roommate (Cormac Reilly, #0.7)
  • The Cuckoo's Cry
  • Life Ever After
  • The Mountain and the Sea
  • The Life and Times of Prince Albert
  • The Real Sherlock
Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen are the co-authors of the blockbuster New York Times bestseller, THE WIFE BETWEEN US, as well as the forthcoming, AN ANONYMOUS GIRL. AN ANONYMOUS GIRL has been optioned for a television series by eOne, with Sarah and Greer executive producing. THE WIFE BETWEEN US has been optioned for film by Amblin Entertainment, with Sarah and Greer screenwriting the adaptation ...more