Start by marking “Glamour Girls” as Want to Read:
Glamour Girls

Glamour Girls

USA Today bestselling author Marty Wingate's historical debut will delight readers of Kelly Rimmer's The Things We Cannot Say and Noelle Salazar's The Flight Girls.

During World War II, farmer's daughter Rosalie Wright becomes a pilot assisting the RAF. But will a romantic rivalry send her aerial dreams plummeting to earth?

Ever since she was 10 years old, Rosalie Wright's e
Published January 12th 2021 by Alcove Press

To ask other readers questions about Glamour Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glamour Girls

Start your review of Glamour Girls
Karren  Sandercock
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Rosalie Wright grew up at Lime Farm in Cambridgeshire a county in the East of England with her older brothers Will and Leslie. Rosalie’s ten when the flying circus visits town, her dad let her go for a joy ride, she loved it and she was determined to learn to fly. Her mum thought her daughters dream was a lot of nonsense and Rosalie didn't change her mind and earned her own money to pay for her flying lessons.

Just as Rosalie’s about to turn 18, WW II begins and her dad suddenly passes away. Will
linda hole
Dec 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I love historical fiction, especially the ww2 era. Where get to know what men and women did under the bleak era i our history. But Even the. Book was about that, it fell through for me. Some parts Of the book felt to rushed and to thin. I wanted to know more about the Main characters in this book.. But thank you to netgalley for letting me read This e arc in exchange for an honest opinion
Soraya Lane
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly heart-warming and enjoyable book about the amazing women of the ATA during WWII. It will make you smile and also bring a tear to the eye, and the ending was lovely. Recommend to women's fiction readers. ...more
Shirley McAllister
Up in the Sky

This is a story of the A.T.A. (Air Transport Auxiliary) girls. These brave women transported the airplanes between bases to the soldiers to fly during WWII. They flew in all types of conditions and in all types of planes. Many of them perished in the air but the other's kept flying. This is an important point in history, especially when during that time period in Britain women were not allowed those type of jobs. The war changed everything. As horrible as it was it did bring opportu
Sue
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Glamour Girls" by Marty Wingate is a WWII era historical novel that centers on the life of Rosalie Wright and her earlier adventures before the war and through World War Il as a member of the Air Transport Authority Auxiliary.

She exemplifies England and how each person contributed to the war effort in whatever way that they could. Rosie joined a special breed of women fliers that were unique in that era and dearly needed to fill a role of flying planes across England while allowing their male c
Kayleigh 2babesandabookshelf
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
I love historical fiction novels that are written with a strong female as the main character. Glamour Girls is no exception - I absolutely ADORED reading about the women of the A.T.A (Air Transport Auxiliary) and Rosalie Wright is a force to be reckoned with! This book will make you laugh, cry and smile in 298 short pages. A lovely novel that showcases women's strength and resiliency during WW2. I loved this one - and I think you will too!

A huge thank you to @alcovepress for my {gifted} copy.
Moony (The Burglar Baggins) MeowPoff
I got this eARC from Netgalley in exhange for a honest review
DNF 55%
The start of the book seemed interesting at first and Rosalie was an alright character, but i still ended up losing interest quickly. I ended up being bored and found myself not caring about the characters or the romantic interests.
Susie
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Pam Jenoff or Kate Quinn will enjoy reading "Glamour Girls" by Marty Wingate . Following the story of a young woman who signs up to be a pilot in Britain's Air Transport Auxiliary service during World War II, readers get a close up look at life in Britain during the war.

The female pilots are charged with flying planes between bases so that the Royal Air Force has the planes it needs at all times. The women pilots fly without radios and ammunition, and often the planes are being transfer
Roxanne Spencer
Nov 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Marty Wingate can tell a good story, and she does so here with the story of a young female pilot in the Air Transport Auxiliary during WW2 in England. In a time when women were still expected to do "women's work", Rosalie pursues her passion for flying airplanes while learning about life beyond the confines of her family farm. Great historical details make this an engaging story. ...more
smokeandmirrors
Dec 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, historical
A light, well-researched novel about one of the female pilots in Britain's ATA force during WWII with a lot to recommend it. The period details were, along with being well-researched, well-distributed throughout the book, as were the processes and exploits of the pilots in the Air Transport Auxiliary. The story follows the POV and experiences of one character, and I have read enough split-POV books recently that I actively enjoyed this; I actually ended up wishing that the book had more characte ...more
Barb
Farmer's daughter Rosalie has dreamt of flying ever since she was a young girl. As a young adult, though, when Britain entered World War 2 and civilian aviation opportunities dried up, she thought her dream was dead. Then she learns that the ATA (Air Transport Authority) is recruiting female pilots to ferry planes from Britain to RAF bases. She is determined to prove to her family – and skeptical male pilots and crews – that women can do the job just as well as men, despite her unexpectedly comp ...more
♥Milica♥
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, historical, ww2
Aside from a couple of slow parts, this book was perfect to me. Everything from the cover to the historical notes (which I will definitely be checking out) at the end.

As someone who's studying aeronautics at university, I enjoyed how flying was presented in Glamour Girls in particular. Sometimes it's hard to describe how it feels to be up in the air, piloting your own aircraft but Marty Wingate did it justice. I'm so happy.

The characters were all likeable and I adore the friendship between Rosa
Tommi Powell
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Wingate, a cozy mystery writer, slid quite easily into the historical genre, and Glamour Girls is a quick and easy read with much of the violence of war (and pleasures of sex) happening off page. In addition to war-time depictions, Wingate does grapple with rather heavy topics of the time (homosexuality, premarital sex, children born outside of wedlock, gender norms, societal norms, etc.); but her tone remains light and any conflict is brief and readily resolved, a formula to her writing that is ...more
Theodene
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Back during wartime, while the boys were off fighting, the girls were left doing all the things back home. This included being pilots flying as an air taxi in England. Somehow, there were all these women who were flying from here to there to deliver planes or even people to other parts of the area.

Glamour Girls by Marty Wingate is about these ATA pilots and the challenges and relationships built during the time. These ladies were fantastically called the Attagirls! I just love that term! Is that
Kristine~ReadALittleAndWineAboutIt
You know those books that stand out? Not because they have anything particularly new or shocking, but because their story grabbed you so completely that you devoured it in 24-48 hours? Yeah, this was that book for me.

Rosalie has dreamed of becoming a pilot since she was eleven years old. She finally gets the chance to learn a couple years before the start of WW2. She eventually gets accepted into the ATA and we follow her story through the years of the Second World War.

In all honesty, if you a
Anne
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Glamour Girls by Marty Wingate is the story of women pilots in England during the Second World War. They couldn't fly bombing missions but they could ferry planes in England from where they were to where they were needed. Rosalie had wanted to fly since she was 11 years old. Her father supported her; her mother didn't. She wanted her to be a farm wife, where she was safe. Her father didn't live to see it happen, but she nagged her way into the ATA (Air Transport Auxiliary) and flew until the war ...more
Teresa
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some books pull you in and let you live and exist for a couple days entwined in the lives of the characters and I can honestly say, I was flying right next to Rosalie Wright. WOW, I loved this book!!!
This is my first book by Marty Wingate but I will definitely be searching for more. I listened to this book via Kindle VoiceView and I can’t tell you how many times I backed it up, just so I could listen one more time or I stopped listening and would read slowly just so I did not miss anything.
The
Erin
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2021
Thanks to Alcove Press for an advanced copy of Glamour Girls.

I'm a huge WWII women aviation fan so I loved this book! I've read and loved a few historical fiction about ATA girls or WASPs so this is one of my favorite topics. Really enjoyed Glamour Girls!

Since she was 10 years old Rosalie Wright wanted to be a pilot and was saving up until she was 16 to get lessons. Just as she's starting to fly, Britain enters WWII and she can no longer fly until she hears about the Air Transport Authority (AT
wonderwomand
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you, NetGalley and Alcove Books, for the free Advanced Copy in exchange for an honest review.

Rosalie Wright grew up on a farm. She has wanted to be a pilot since her first ride in a plane when she was 11 years old. She seizes the opportunity to take flying lessons. She finds out about women flying during the war and she finally gets a chance to do that. Some people support her desire to become a pilot while others think it is just a passing fancy for Rosalie.

This novel is Marty Wingate's f
Nicola Short
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a heartwarming story!
Rosalie has known she wanted to be a pilot since she was 11. Glamour Girls follows her as she goes from a farmers daughter to a pilot ferrying planes for the RAF during WWII. AND, what a journey it is!
Author Marty Wingate’s research and details provided throughout the story just draws you in. It’s like you are literally there in the story with Rosalie.
Loved all the characters. Which is unusual as usually I can’t say that. But, each and every character had personalities
Jamie Rincker
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book follows a young woman named Rosalie from off the farm to flying airplanes, something she got a taste for at age 11 and took flying lessons by 16. Being a farmer's daughter myself, I laughed at some of the antics, such as when she landed a plane in a field full of cows and was terrified to get out. This book follows her throughout World War II and the heartache and choices she has to make as she learns and grows up. I found myself frustrated with Rosalie as she puts up with the antics a ...more
Tisha "Manic Reads"
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Glamour Girls" by Marty Wingate is a great book set during WWII with female pilots. I have always been interested in history, and so finding a good historical novel, even if fiction, is always something that is a good time for me. It was interesting to see the world from that time period, and what people were going through.

While slow at times, it draws you in fairly quickly and easily and keeps you gripped until the final page, and I love when a book can do that.

The history is well researched,
Emma Watson
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It was a very refreshing book to learn about the woman who were in the Air Transport Authority Auxiliary how brave and strong they were.

Rosalie Wright has always wanted to fly ever since she was 11. She was too young to learn but once she was 16 she finally got her wish to learn to fly.

When war breaks out she applies for the ATAA but is turned down, eventually she is accepted and what happens to her she forms friendships with the other girls there.

You can see how brave the women were, even a fe
Jeanie
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With thanks for an arc in return for an honest review.
This being a Debut novel I was utterly astounded it's an absolute winner. The attention to detail was really quite amazing based on true facts about the atagirls.
Rosalie and her colleagues what an amazing job they done and totally fearless flying from place to place with nothing but amazing knowledge in there heads, I just totally loved this book and can't praise it enough and look forward to reading more from the OUTSTANDING Author it's bee
Alicia Niles Deal
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an awesome book! I love stories about how women contributed to the war effort. The women that ferried planes for the Air Transport Auxiliary freed up the men who could then fly planes into battle. These courageous women a lot of times put their lives on the line to make sure that the planes reached their destination, sometimes losing their lives. Way to go Attagirls!! This story has excitement, sadness, romance and history. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a chance to read ...more
Sarah Rubin
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, energetic, emotional. Fly with Rosalie through WWII years as she ferries planes from site to site throughout England. Marty Wingate has taken her great storytelling skills from her mysteries to this historical fiction, following the life of a young woman with dreams of the sky and an opportunity to serve her country, as she moves between her family's farm and the excitement of the skies. An easy five stars. ...more
Terri
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story about the women pilots in ATA who were used to ferry (fly) various types of warplanes across Britain to RAF bases during the 1940s. They flew all over and picked up more flights before they would return to their base. In this story, a few women become good friends and live through some tragic times. There is a love story or two and plenty of information about the planes.
Carissa
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Glamour Girls was a little slow and dull. However, the ending caught my attention. It had a great friends to lovers storyline. I appreciated that while romance played a key role, there weren't any sex scenes. The main character was a bit aggravating at times. (view spoiler)

3.5 Stars
Tilly Suffield
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Glamour Girls follows the life of Rosalie - a farmers daughter who didnt want to join the family farm business and just wanted to fly aeroplanes. It was a heartwarming story of life as a pilot ferrying planes for the RAF during the second world war. It had everything a romantic war novel needed - romance, tradgedy, shock accidents and more romance. I really enjoyed it as an easy read.
Laila
Jan 23, 2021 rated it liked it
I received a copy of the book from Netgalley to review. Thank you for the opportunity.
An interesting story told and I liked that it was based on a true story. It has some good writing but switches from person to person quickly with little explanation. Also the books formatting made it difficult to read.
A good read.

• The Longest Echo
  • Across the Winding River
  • One to Watch
  • Deep into the Dark
  • The War Widow (Billie Walker Mystery, #1)
  • The Paris Library
  • Fairy Godmothers, Inc.
  • The Japanese Lover
  • The Banker’s Wife
  • Girl Gone Mad
  • Agatha Arch Is Afraid of Everything
USA Today best-selling author Marty Wingate writes The First Edition Library series (Berkley) set in Bath, England, about the curator of a collection of books from the Golden Age of Mystery. Book one, The Bodies in the Library, concerns murder among an Agatha Christie fan-fiction writing group, and in book two, Murder Is a Must (October 2020), an exhibition manager is found dead at the bottom of a ...more