Start by marking “Straight Up (The Speakeasy, #4)” as Want to Read:
Straight Up (The Speakeasy, #4)

Straight Up

(The Speakeasy #4)

Love, served straight up.

Malcolm Elliott has been keeping secrets. Helping his mom through a financial crisis has nearly emptied both his bank account and his kitchen cupboards, despite his thriving career with Corporate Equality Campaign. Malcolm is also bothered by his inability to tell the most important people in his life that he identifies as gray ace.

Stuart Morgan ha
ebook, 1st edition, 355 pages
Published June 9th 2020 by Pride Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Straight Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straight Up

Start your review of Straight Up (The Speakeasy, #4)
True Loveislovereview
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, lgbtq, kink
Malcolm is the Social Coordinator for Corporate Equality Campaign, working for his best friends. There will be an event and Stuart Morgan will be their chef.
Stuart had been an upright Mormon citizen, unable to live that life any longer he left everything behind, everything! He started a whole new life.

They work great together and friendship between them is a fact.
Malcolm is aware he has feelings for Stuart, for Malcolm this isn’t naturally. Attraction and certainly physical attraction is rare fo
Pat
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
I always wait with anticipation for these Speakeasy books , I can't get enough ..
The characters are passionate for everything they do for themselves or others .

To have such a group of friends like these guys would be amazing ...
To have a trust and commitment these friend have is wonderful.

These guys , Stuart Morgan and Malcolm Elliot find they are attracted to each other but getting to know who you are sexually and then understanding isn't an easy ride.

This book tell of two beautiful men who
Fernanda Parente
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I started this series for this book but I’m curious to read the stories of this group of friends
I've enjoyed the slow development of the relationship between Stuart and Malcolm, instead of insta love
The main characters are amazing especially Stuart
The secondary characters who have had their stories in previous books reappear in this book
I can't wait to go back to the first book and follow all these men so different and with different life stories

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprou
Joyfully Jay
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Straight Up is book four in The Speakeasy series and also ties back to the Tidal series. While Malcolm and Stuart’s relationship is new to this book, the series relies heavily on the friendships of this group of men and it would be enhanced to be familiar with the connections. There is also a special moment for Carter and Riley, the characters that started this series, and it’s great to see all of the MCs continually throughout the books.

Read Michelle's review in it
Ruthie Taylor
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the fourth book in the series, and although it relates to a completely new couple, there are inevitably lots of tie-ins with previous stories, as the Speakeasy Under is common to them all. We also get to enjoy Riley and Carter tying the knot in this one, which makes it extra special to series fans.

Malcolm is a really interesting character in this book, because he is just full of contradictions on the page. I fou
Karen
May 28, 2020 marked it as mm-read
Shelves: 2020-books-read
I don’t usually jump into a series midstream and...

I’m not sure what possessed me to do it with this one but something in my brain says that for some reason I was under the impression that this book could be reads as a standalone story and thankfully for the most part it can. I’m honestly not even remotely familiar with this series but the blurb for ‘Straight Up’ obviously caught my attention so from my perspective the blurb gets a solid 4++ stars, it did its job.

In general, this book lent i
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Compared to the previous stories in this series, Straight Up was much less angst-filled than the others have been, which was a tad bit refreshing, and for a change, I didn’t spend the entire story with my stomach in knots. lol

Of course, that’s not to say Malcolm and Stuart didn’t come with their share of baggage, issues, and secrets. Secrets that threaten to derail their newfound relationship. I loved watching them learn to trust one another, and in turn, open up to each other. It was slo
Stephanie Carvalho
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to the Speakeasy Series. Ever since his first appearence, I was intrigued by Malcolm; there was just *something* about him.... And what a story it is! This was my first book with an ace/demisexual guy, so I had no idea about what to expect. Is not something I usually read, but I decided to try this one because the authors have a very unique way to tell a story, so... let's go!

All the guys from the previous books are there, and even if you haven't read them ( You definitely
Anabela.M.
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
These two authors are incredible on their own, but when they put their heads together and write, the results are stories that never seize to tug on my heartstrings.

Straight Up was refreshing in an amazing way, thanks to the lack of initial sexual attraction between Stuart and Malcolm. The fact that later on sparks ignited every time they touched was just a steamy bonus to their strengthening emotional and mental connection.

Malcolm- gosh, I just wanted to take him home, feed him and keep him sa
Allison
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, arc
Beta read.

I loved the MCs, wanted to kill Malcolm's mother, and adored seeing all the friends again. This series is amazing for it's portrayal of friendship, I love all the pairings, but I love seeing the friendships so much.
Devoted❤️Reader
All of you

I adore this family, every single one. I love the connections, the openness, the trust, and how no matter what they always, always look out for each other. “You give me everything, just by being you.” Malcolm and Stuart won my heart just by being them. They may be stubborn and they may have made some mistakes along the way but they never gave up and they learned how to work through their issues together. “You’ve...showed me what love can be.” Together I think they’re beautiful and thei
Karolina Cebula
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For Stuart Morgan, Malcolm Elliott is a puzzle, an equation with an indefinite result. On the one hand, he seems interested in Stuart, on the other, he doesn't respond to the flirtation and courtship in an expected way. Working together on a large, very important fundraising event gives them the opportunity to get to know each other better, thanks to which Malcolm opens up to Stuart. Slowly some deeper feelings begin to flourish on the foundation of their friendship. However, both men have some ...more
Heather
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just want to jump out of the gate by saying: had I realized Straight Up was going to be the final entry in The Speakeasy series, I probably would have held off reading. Don't get me wrong, not because I didn't want to read Malcolm and Stuart's story but because I love this series and the whole universe that Coles & Vaughn created way-back-when with Tidal so much, I just never want to see it end. So had I known, I probably would've let it linger a bit by queuing up in my kindle😉😉.

Seriously thou
Charlotte
Another delicious installment in the Speakeasy Series: Straight Up by K. Evan Coles and Brigham Vaughn. As I've read along in this series I have really become invested in the crew of friends that inhabit the Speakeasy. Each character is unique and likable in their own way. It's been a pleasure getting to know them all.

In "Straight Up" the authors are telling us a bit more about Malcolm. Malcolm is one of the quieter characters in this book - bless him for his perseverance hah. He works hard and
Annie Maus
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Authors Coles and Vaughn have created a community of love in the Speakeasy series, part of what makes the fourth installment, Straight Up, truly enjoyable. For fans, there are lots of references to couples from the first three books; yet it was entirely accessible to me, just entering the series now. And yes, I plan to go back and read all I missed in the first three episodes!

We are introduced to Malcolm, who has supportive friendships among the guys at bar/restaurant/ speakeasy Under Lock & Key
Emerson Tate
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been a huge fan of the Speakeasy series overall. These books have amazing character developments and friendships. In this book, the relationship between Malcolm and Stewart explored some interesting themes. Malcolm is a man who has had relationships with women but never really felt a strong sexual desire. He meets Stuart, who has some trauma in his past for a fetish for lacy underthings. This was not my favorite book in the series, but I still really enjoyed it. Malcolm and Stuart's relat ...more
Alexleo
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The beauty of this story lies in the countless elements and layers that make up this complex yet so simple relationship. Two men apparently far apart on the scale of sexual drive allow themselves to open up to the other and this helps them to come to terms with their own secrets and uncertainties that were part of the issue hindering them to fully be themselves. The most incredible transformation is Malcom’s while Stuart just had to find the right partner to fully accept his kink and consequentl ...more
Pates
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love, Love, Love! From the first few pages, I knew I would love and adore Malcolm and Stuart.

I adored Malcolm so much. He has such a beautiful heart and soul. He was comfortable exploring who he is with Stuart and who Stuart can be with him. Stuart not only gave him confidence but the love and adoration he deserves.

I loved Stuart! He is sweet, kind, loving, caring, and on fire! He was patient and understanding as Malcolm was exploring the aspects of his gray-asexuality. His tenderness make my
Anna Torres
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the things I love about The Speakeasy series is the information I learn while reading it. It makes me aware of the different spectrum that a person’s sexuality can be base on. It makes me look into myself and understand “me”better.

The other thing I love is how the authors have written such beautiful stories about characters who can literally be me and you. Malcolm and Stuart are such characters. They are relatable. Also, as we can all read throughout the series, and personally, I believe
Annie
Straight Up is the fourth book in The Speakeasy series and while it certainly contains crossover characters and couples, I was able to read the story as a standalone. That said, after meeting the myriad of friends from the Lock and Key Speakeasy crowd, I definitely plan to check out the rest of the books.

The more I read romance, the more I find myself craving variety in characters and backgrounds and exceptional stories over those that center on the sexy moments. I loved that Straight Up feature
Emilee
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have loved all the books in this series. All of the characters are so different, but work so well together. Malcolm was always one of the quieter characters and it was so great to read his story.

While this book was less angstier than the previous books, the family situations were relatable and it was so interesting to learn about what Malcolm was going through himself with his identity. Then add in Staurt and his background. Staurt also had such a difficult time finding who he was and being ok
C.B.
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
DEEP! This is one of those stories that forced me to take off and put away a pair of my judgment specs. What amazing authors! I am now compelled to read the other stories. The characters, the friendships the choices are absolutely amazing. The friendships, the conflicts all draw the reader in. The themes, the deep dive into self analysis and self awareness is absolutely enjoyable. This is a cereberal romance with a bit of kink to keep things interesting. The life choices Malcolm and Stuart made, ...more
Maria E.
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is book 4 of the Speakeasy series, and in this book you'll meet again the friends that we met in previous books. It also makes reference to things that happened in previous books, but they are well explained, and you do not need to have read the previous books to enjoy this one. Our main characters here are Malcolm and Stuart. They are attracted to each other from the moment they met, but Malcolm has two problems that might derail their relationship: financial and sexual. This means 1) he's ...more
Amy Dufera - Amy's MM Romance Reviews

Wow, Straight Up just hit me with all the feels. The fourth book in The Speakeasy Series by K Evan Coles and Brigham Vaughn is a beautiful slow burn romance.

The beginning is a little slow, but soon I found myself hooked.

Stuart, oh how I wanted to hug Stuart. His backstory is painful and just so damn unnecessary. As for his asexuality, it's well written and explored. His hesitancy and unsureness is entertaining for sure.

Malcolm's issue with his mother just made me mad. He is way too generous an
Lydia
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and the series!! I've loved Malcolm and his journey isn't an easy one! Defining who he is, the struggles with his mom(oh boy) and his relationship with Stuart.
I loved Stuart too!! With his bad boy looks and omgosh food related tattoos! Not to mention he knows how to run a kitchen! Some of the food**sighs** I wanted to be a taste tester or be at the event they were for! Omgosh Kyle stole it for me with his special drinks! I mean tequila with blueberries, honey, and some kind of
Heather Rawlins
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved Straight Up. Both Malcolm and Stuart were complex, interesting and engaging MCs. I totally enjoyed reading the whole story and I love that all the other characters from the Speakeasy series were a prominent part of this story too. I liked that they weren’t perfect, made mistakes but found their way through it.
I liked it set in New York City, I’ve never been but it’s one of my bucket list cities and I loved that neither Malcolm and Stuart didn’t live in crazy big lavish homes, but in much
Tracy
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Malcolm and Stuart both have things to get over before starting a romance with each other. This book touched me personally and I can identify with Malcolm and the way he feels about his sexually. Knowing you are not alone and that you can still find true love is a blessing. Stuart little kink to me is just plain sexy and the feel on satin and lace turns a lot of people on if they just admit it, lol I love how we learn in-dept about these two men and nothing is left unanswered. Now I have to get ...more
Jayme
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book and it was as satisfying as I hoped it would be. I felt an instant connection with Stuart and his biker lifestyle because my husband and I are bikers ourselves, so I felt his pain when he had to hide who he really was.

Malcolm has his own issues, not all of them of his doing *Shakes fist at his Mom* and they weigh deeply on him. His growing attraction to Stuart, and his refusal to admit to anyone that he is gray ace only add to his problems at first.
Patricia Nelson
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet, grab-you-by-the-feels, fantastic, quirky, slow burning, unconventional, poignant, emotionally charged, engaging, off-the-wall, delightfully different, charming, a little bit angsty, beautiful, heartfelt, tug-at-your-heartstrings, and totally awesome story. It had me hooked from beginning to end, and I would definitely recommend getting this marvelous gem immediately.

BookSnuggle
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Straight Up (Speakeasy) by K. Evan Coles and Brigham Vaughn is Malcolm Elliott and Stuart Morgan’s story.

Malcolm and Stuart meet through a work event. These two are totally opposites but they seemed to be drawn to each other. Is it friendship or something more? Will their secrets prevent them from having more? I love how the Speakeasy group are there for each other.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.

• Marry Me (Tattoos and Temptation #1)
  • Off-Balance (Peachtree, #1)
  • Forbidden Love
  • He Shoots, He Scores (Skate to Love, #1)
  • Ripples of Threat (Angel Hills Pack #2)
  • Where Foxes Hunt with Wolves (Folk Lore, #2)
  • Omega Arrival (Angel Hills Pack, #1)
  • Throne Together (Rosavia Royals, #3)
  • Redemption
  • Better Be Sure (Harrison Campus, #1)
  • His Surrender (Unexpected Love #2)
  • Dancing with Daddy
  • A Boy Made of Sunshine
  • Ryder's Guardian (Maiden Voyage, #1)
  • Freedom (F-Word, #5)
  • Love According to Liam (According to Liam, #2)
  • Love in the Balance (Peachtree, #2)
  • All That Remains (Lancaster Falls Trilogy, #3)
K. Evan Coles is a mother and tech pirate by day and a writer by night. She is a dreamer who, with a little hard work and a lot of good coffee, coaxes words out of her head and onto paper.

K. lives in the northeast United States, where she complains bitterly about the winters, but truly loves the region and its diverse, tenacious and deceptively compassionate people. You’ll usually find K. nerding

The Speakeasy (4 books)
  • With a Twist (The Speakeasy, #1)
  • Extra Dirty (The Speakeasy, #2)
  • Behind the Stick (Speakeasy, #3)

News & Interviews

The last five years of world history have been nothing if not...eventful. When living in interesting times, there's nothing better for...