Start by marking “Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury” as Want to Read:
Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury

Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury

In the minds of fans and scholars alike, Jane Austen has never grown old. Now more than ever, Jane Austen is a presence in pop culture—a major accomplishment for someone who published her books anonymously all her life. Who was Jane Austen? We have only a couple of sketches and letters to tell us about her, but from this slim thread hangs a library’s worth of speculation, ...more
Published September 22nd 2008 by Metro Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Austen

Laurel
My number one choice of Jane Austen inspired books of 2008

Has Jane Austen risen to a major pop-culture presence? Author Rebecca Dickson confidently thinks so, and her thoughtfully researched and beautifully illustrated new edition Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury is quite a persuasive testament. Any doubting Thomas’ will be hard pressed to argue against the evidence skillfully presented in this volume. Not only are the carefully chosen Regency era images complementary to her expertly written te
Judy
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's been years since I read the classics by Jane Austen, and I don't know much about her or her family. So for me, the introductory chapter, which provides background info about the family, the time period, and the Austens' place in society, was very helpful. Austen was born in 1775, the year that the Colonies rebelled and the American Revolution began. That's a fact I should remember. Dickson describes the expectations of women living in England in the late 1700s and early 1800s. She then anal ...more
Kat
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans
This gem of a coffee-table book was sitting amongst the bargain books at Barnes & Noble when I spotted it. It's like opening up a treasure chest and finding some of Jane Austen's handwritten letters and drafts tucked neatly inside.

The book offers an introduction to Jane Austen and discusses the recent rise in her popularity (from the numerous screen adaptations of her novels to various biographies and fictional accounts of her life). The author also dives a bit into each of her s
Becca
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Austen Fans
A good read for fans of Jane Austen that takes you inside Austen's world, with explanations of her writing, her life, and including documents such as handwritten letters, part of the rough draft of Persuasion, and illustrations.
Connie
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book so many little hidden treasures.
Karen Hogan
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just a lovely book for any true Austenite. Includes period artworks depicting Jane Austen's England, original illustrations from first editions, reproductions of Jane's handwritten correspondence, and her sister Cassandra's portraits of the author. Then each of Jane Austen's works are discussed and fresh insight given about what made Jane Austen one of the great writers. This is a keeper, but only for those who love pride and prejudice, or Sense and Sensibility.
Marsha Shannon
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this is a Christmas gift a few years ago, and I absolutely love it. I pulled it down off the shelf today for a trip down memory lane, and was filled with a renewed passion for all things Austen. If you can still find a copy, I highly recommend it as the perfect gift for the Janeite in your life.
Meg
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very beautiful book filled with so many interesting inserts and illustrations that complement the analysis of Austen's published works. A must read for any Jane Austen fan
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jane-austen
This book is simply wonderful! I found it at Barnes and Nobles in the bargain rack for $20, I can't imagine how much it usually cost, but it looks like amazon is out of stock of it too.

This book is a collection of art work, copied manuscripts and letters by Jane Austen, and the author's commentaries on her works and life. It is a fantastic find, the copied manuscripts and letters come in these little envelopes that are removable and look so authentic! The book is about 150 pages long and it is
Bianca
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the perfect gift for a Jane Austen fan. It's filled with great illustrations and little envelopes containing reproductions of letters and snippets from Austen's own hand. The book is divided into chapters focusing on Austen's more major works and does a wonderful job of breaking down the story and drawing parallels with Austen's own life. The author includes explanations about the social norms of the time to put certain aspects of the novels in to context. Yes, we all know that women wer ...more
Bookworm
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book for any Austen fan to add to their collection.
There are six chapters, one for each Austen novel. Each chapter discusses the specified novel as well as giving details about Austen herself and the time period she was living and writing in. You can tell author Rebecca Dickson did plenty of research for this book.

This hardcover book has Regency era illustrations throughout as well as photos from film and tv adaptations.
I love that this book features removable me
Marilyn
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Marilyn by: a gift from Carly
A collection of comments and explanations of Jane Austen's culture. So many of her books involve inheritances. Only the first son inherited property, so younger sons had to marry well or go into military or the clergy. All women were helpless financially, unless they could marry well, so both men and women were determined to "make a good match."

In Jane Austen's time, it was a chilly climate for women writers, yet she was compelled to tell the story of vulnerable women, being one herself. This
Tamra
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My darling daughter gave me this book for Christmas and I enjoyed ever minute of it! I savored each page and loved the observations made by the author about each of Austen's books. I loved hearing about what was going on in Jane Austen's life during the time she was writing each particular novel. The little envelopes containing copies of Jane Austen artifacts were a lot of fun to look at and made the book more intimate. I'm thrilled to add this to my collection!
Eyebright
Dec 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, non-fiction
Kristin
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Great book for Austen fans. I love the removable reproductions of letters, sketches, etc. inside. Also love the gorgeous, full page, Regency era art scattered throughout. There's a lot of basic information about Regency life, inheritance, titles, etc. I really enjoyed it, and it made me anxious to reread her novels again. :)
Jeanne
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: education
This is a pretty book with little inserts of cards and letters. It's one all fans should enjoy. "With her insight about the human heart and the female mind, Jan Austen becomes a private best friend to many of her readers."
Grace
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
The author of this book has a different view on society than I do. It was very interesting to look at Jane Austen's works through another person eyes. Definitely a good read for anyone who enjoys Austen's works.
Ruth
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ruth by: Mom
Fun and lightly informative. I liked the reproductions of Jane Austen's letters and manuscripts that were included in little sealed plastic sleeves.
Nikki
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jane-austen
This is an absolutely beautiful book with all its period artwork, and it is surprisingly informative too, even to someone who has already read Jane Austen's letters and a handful of biographies about her. Best of all, it made me want to read through all of Jane Austen's novels yet again.
Jen
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautifully put together, and the various pull-outs and reproductions are fun. The tone is informal and approachable, and the content is a good balance of book summaries, historical background, literary analysis, and cultural influence.
Sally
Jan 10, 2009 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans
Shelves: jane-austenesque
I found this under a pile of books about Edgar Allen Poe. What a beautiful book!! It features copies of removable memorabilia such as handwritten letters, drafts, and more.
Patricia
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The perfect coffee table book for all things Austen.
Gingub Gravette
Jan 27, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: austen-a-gogo
just picked up in bargain bin at barnes-noble can't wait to sift through all the bits and bobbles. Like a treasure hunt for austenites.
Karen
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful glimpse at the life and works of Jane Austen; love the illustrated format.
Jen Fumarolo
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: blah
Nothing too new here, but the inserts and photos were fun.
patricia
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
i loved when she compared how and why the books were altered in the movie versions...
Becky
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
beautiful book. I was instantly in love with a first saw a photo of what is inside it. It's something every Austen fan should own!
Pat
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book would make a great gift for any Jane Austen fan. A beautiful book that is filled with photographs etc. Read slowly and enjoy!
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I learned some things about Jane Austen and some interesting details about the publishing history and also about how Austen was received in her own era.
Jodie
Oct 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I am a sucker for anything Jane Austen. This was pretty cool. I picked it up when it came in and I really liked the way it took you through her life in cute little treasures.

• In the Garden with Jane Austen
  • The Friendly Jane Austen: A Well-Mannered Introduction to a Lady of Sense and Sensibility
  • 101 Things You Didn't Know About Jane Austen: The Truth about the World's Most Intriguing Romantic Literary Heroine
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
  • The Jane Austen Cookbook
  • Intimations of Austen
  • Jane Austen: A Life
  • The List Lover's Guide to Jane Austen
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)