Start by marking “Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)

Midnight Sun

(The Twilight Saga #5)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  110,587 ratings  ·  19,107 reviews
When Edward Cullen and Bella Swan met in Twilight, an iconic love story was born. But until now, fans have heard only Bella's side of the story. At last, readers can experience Edward's version in the long-awaited companion novel, Midnight Sun.

This unforgettable tale as told through Edward's eyes takes on a new and decidedly dark twist. Meeting Bella is both the most unner
Published August 4th 2020 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published August 3rd 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Sun, please sign up.
ChelSierra — I'm hoping that now that she has Edward back in her head, he will refuse to leave her brain until she finishes the whole series from his point of v…more — I'm hoping that now that she has Edward back in her head, he will refuse to leave her brain until she finishes the whole series from his point of view. I really want the confrontation between the Cullens and the Volturi from Edward's POV.

Plus, in New Moon, Edward was chasing Victoria all across the country, and lost her in Brazil. He didn't realize Victoria would head back to Forks to go after Bella. So, I'd like to know what he was thinking while in Brazil, and why he never ever considered that Bella might be in danger.

[EDIT]

Stephenie has stated there will be no other Twilight books retold from Edward’s point of view.

[/EDIT](less)
Regina If you've read the draft then you'll have found out that there's so much more information in it due to Edward not sleeping and being able to read mind…moreIf you've read the draft then you'll have found out that there's so much more information in it due to Edward not sleeping and being able to read minds. In my view, it's going to be 1000x more times more interesting than Bella's POV. From the partial Midnight Sun draft alone we found out what happens to the men in Port Angeles, we never would've found out in Twilight because Edward never mentions it again.

If you don't want to read the same story again, fair enough, but we're finally getting an internal monologue from Edward and we're going to be able to understand him much, much better. My Twilight copy is 434 pages long and Midnight Sun is at least 600/700 (where I ordered from says 752) so it'll reveal never known details about the original series.

Obviously, I can't comment on whether she's changed anything major because it isn't out yet but she has mentioned that she was given the freedom to do whatever she wanted in the scenes without Bella. I do assume the internal monologue is going to be a big darker, though. What nerves me most is the direct quote from the description, "This unforgettable tale as told through Edward's eyes takes on a new and decidedly dark twist." so we’ll just have to wait and see what happens. (less)

·  110,587 ratings  ·  19,107 reviews

Start your review of Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)
Nenia ✨️ I yeet my books back and forth ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I was still a teenager when I first read TWILIGHT, and now I am... well, not a teenager, obviously. (Beware, kiddos who follow me, one day, you too will be one of the "olds.") Since that first initial read, I've reread TWILIGHT a handful of times, and each time, I've felt a little differently about it as my thoughts about feminism, young adult fiction, and romances slowly changed and evolved with my own self-identification over time. I e
Angelica
I have never in my 23 years of life been more excited to read a book and I am not ashamed! I loved reading this, but I didn't necessarily love this book. Bear with me, I will explain!

This book isn't perfect, and I didn't expect it to be. It has many of the major criticized flaws of Twilight, in terms of instalove and questionable romance.  It is a Twilight novel after all, and if you're one of those people that absolutely hate sparkly vampires and all that comes with them, this is NOT the book f
Miranda Reads
description

Just released my Top 10 Books from 2020 BookTube Video - now that you know this one made the list, click the link to find the rest!
Annnd here's my original reaction to this book!
description

Just did my BookTube Reading Vlog all about this GORGEOUS addition to the Twilight family. Click the link to check it out!
And Now for my reactions:
description
I'M HYPERVENTILATING. MY TEENAGE SELF IS DYING.

NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME.

UPDATE ~ Publication Daaaay!

I might have the book at home but I can't wait that lo
chan ☆
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
i would like to thank not only god but mormon jesus for bestowing this gift upon me in the year of our lord 2020

let's all stand for 672 pages of murderous, horny edward

---------------------------------------

review:

i had no idea going into this book what i wanted it to be. i read the original 12 leaked chapters back in the day and just like everyone else i craved an entire tome. but i am so glad that we didn't get the release 12 years ago. the wait was undoubtedly worth it.

this book delivered eve
Mirta (secretlifeofapotterheadgirl)
My 13th self: 5 STARS! Favorite of all times!
My now self: 1 stars.
My 13th self: 4?
My now self: 2.
My 13th self: Deal.

Publication Day:
My 13th self: OMG I CAN’T WAIT
My now self *sipping coffee and scrolling Goodreads*: I’m just here for the drama

My 13th self: OMG IT'S HAPPENING I LUV EDWARD CULLEN SO MUCH!!!1!!1!!!1
My now self: We won't read this book.
My 13th self: Are you crazy?!?!?!?!?!
My now self: Edward is a stalker.
My 13th self: NOOOOO HE'S PERFECTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!1!!!1!
My now self: He's a T
TheBibliotheque ♡
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-faves
Supermassive black hole starts playing.

description
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Wanna know if this book is worth it? I got you!

Here are my thoughts, all the cringy Edward moments and new infos: https://youtu.be/VBhw0_0QxpM
emma
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is 1,800 pages long.

I'm not fact-checking myself, but rest assured it feels in the foundational religious text/600-level STEM textbook range.

And I read every one of those proverbial tissue-paper pages. (I did not actually read a hard copy of this. See below hinting.)

And yet, I have exactly one note.

That note is: there is nothing funnier to me than charlie literally being no thoughts head empty. i knew i respected that man for a reason #acab

Helpful? No. But it made me laugh. So thank yo
Christy
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

319C1FAC_8DCD_4A0C_BCB4_32CDA60BFD00_IMG_7980
“For just a second, I saw Persephone, pomegranate in hand. Dooming herself to the underworld. Is that who I was? Hades himself, coveting springtime, stealing it, condemning it to endless night.”

Midnight Sun is a book I’ve been waiting for for over 12 years and let me tell you, it was so worth the wait! I honestly thought this day would never come and as soon as I saw the book was available, I preordered the hardback for my collection and the audiobook. I listened to all 2
_ngallagher
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Posted my reading vlog surrounding this book! You can watch for my full thoughts!
Tatiana
May 04, 2020 marked it as lost-interest
Is COVID-19 making authors finish their projects? Maybe George R.R. Martin is next? Megan Whalen Turner? Patrick Rothfuss? (Searching for silver lining very hard here.)

I never even cared about this, but life as it is now, I might actually partake in some sparkly icicle camp. Too bad it's not going to cover Breaking Dawn’s most freaky events, amirite? #icicleoflove

Nataliya
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
Pre-reading review: Let’s be honest, I hated Twilight. I *loved* hating Twilight. Terrible as they were, those books had literary merits of a Twinkie - and were just as addicting. And now this is out, and can I really think I have the willpower not to read this sparkly creepy vampire opus?

Also, what the hell is that cover??? It’s seriously creepy. Pomegranate — or a partially dissected heart? Reminds me of anatomy lab and all that formaldehyde smell...
—————
Post-reading review:

Reader, I finished
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Omg! THIS book was EVERYTHING! Please for the love of everything, Stephenie, write the rest of the books in Edward’s perspective!!! 🖤 I only put in a few quotes, but I will return with more at a later date!!

Holy shit snacks!! I love it so much! It’s so damn different and cool!!

It did not happen often, but every now and then I would be struck by the obliviousness of the humans around us. We were all so accustomed to it, we always expected it, but occasionally it seemed more glaring than usua
• Lindsey Dahling •
May 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Look, I’m doing this for high school Lindsey. She had to suffer through the low-rise jeans phase, so I owe it to her.

Even though she and I will NEVER be cool with Bella’s floor-length khaki skirt.

————————————————————————
Update: DNF at 34%

Look, I can’t do this even for low-rise jeans high school Lindsey.

I’d like to say she’d understand, but the day Stephenie Meyer posted the leaked chapters on her website, high school Lindsey drove to the public library after school just to read them. And she lo
jessica
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
is this a book we all really needed? no.
is this a book we all deserved? you better believe it.

reasons why i gave this 5 stars - nostalgia and edward. thats literally it.

and honestly, i wish SM had written the original books from edwards POV. i enjoyed this soooo much more than ‘twilight’ because i dont have to deal with bellas whiny thoughts. lol.

5 stars
✨ A ✨
It takes another kind of genius to sell us the same story three times and still get us hyped up for it.

Twilight has it's flaws. This we know. This we acknowledge. It's like one of those low budget soap operas. You know it's terrible shit, but you also can't stop yourself from watching the next episode.

Well that's how it is for me anyway.

If you're thinking of picking this up please know that it's basically the exact same story as Twilight (book 1) with a few added parts since (unbelievably) Edw
Anne
I loved Twilight. Fuck all y'all haters.
I've been salivating to read this ever since that partial first draft of the original Midnight Sun got leaked years ago.

description

But after reading this? I wish Stephenie Meyer had just pulled on her big girl panties and finished it back then.
This Edward was too breathy and overdramatic. He came across as one of those bitches who would willingly saw his penis off as an apology for scaring you with his boner.
Getthefuckoutofhere.

description

The first few chapters were the hard
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I’m swimming at the complex feelings sea, keeping my head above as forming thought balloons. I wish I read this book 10 years ago. It should have been released as soon as the trilogy has ended so I could have given my five shiny stars because this book is definitely written better, bringing out more clear perspective to the characters’ stories, their motives. But it is still flawed and there are still plot holes, logical mistakes.

But right now, everything has changed: my taste of music, food, l
Whitney Atkinson
this was the most bizarre mix of returning to childhood while also having that childhood ruined. it really put a damper on twilight's barely tolerable creepiness to learn that even when edward isn't noticeably with bella, he's always lurking in a tree outside her house or something. a book i thought would take me a weekend to devour ended up taking 3 weeks, so let that struggle speak for itself.

(random sidenote: one thing i didn't expect from this was how much more i came to love emmett)
Bookishrealm
If I could give this 1/2 star I would, but you know the way the rating system works on Goodreads...This is ain't it folks. This really didn't do anything for me.

If you know me or if you've been following my journey in re-reading the Twilight series then you know that I have not been enjoying any of these books. It's been a rough journey, but has also given me better insight to understanding why and how this series is problematic. I won't lie; I was curious about how Meyer would frame this book i
sam
May 04, 2020 marked it as hell-no
5/02/2021 update: as much as i would love to read about stalker boyfriends (not really), i decided to put this in the not gonna happen pile. if i really want to put myself through mental torture (the good kind), i’ll reread an ember in the ashes ✨

—/—/—/—/—

*me telling myself why reading this book is a bad idea*

me: Edward is a stalker, Bella is annoying and has no individuality, I’m not a twilight fangirl and this series pisses me off.

also me: *adds book to shelf*
Mary
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I finally finished Midnight Sun, so here is a compiled list of my Thoughts™

* most days I can hardly muster 3 words to describe my overall existence, but my boy Edward here spends pages describing how Bella’s eyes react to the light and let me tell you, that shit is lit 👏😂

* “A word I’d never said before in the presence of a lady slid between my clenched teeth.” - Edward, honey, it’s fine, you can say fuck 🤣

* Edward Cullen falling for someone - a reaction in 5 steps:
- shout NO dramatically in fro
MischaS_
May 08, 2020 marked it as not-sure-if-i-ll-read-it
I'm still not sure what I think about this. At one point in my life, I liked Twilight then when re-reading I could not believe what I saw in those books. But despite all that, Twilight definitely brought a change to the book scene. Just think about all those authors who started by writing Twilight fan-fiction and how many Twilight fan-fiction stories were "reskinned" and published!

Overall, I have three things to say about this.

1) I'm not really sure if I'll be reading this.

2) I love pomegranate,
human
update: found this piece of bloody perfection:

(sorry to all of you who have seen this review a million times already from when the feeds froze. i couldn't help myself.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(1.5/5)

Like many things in life, my decision to read this book can be summed up in a couple of Beatles lyrics:
'Cause I told you once before, "goodbye"
But I came back again
Sure, I started reading this book because of a buddy read (yes, we're all crazy and extremely masochistic, except for mei, who got dragged into
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
But she's not continuing with this series anymore.
(Like she ended this one with Jacob as an embryo. Literally.

Why, Meyer, why?

And she says she's going to write 3 books in the future. Like fantasy fantasy.

Ok. But don't take it out on my ex-book boyfriend)

😎 Do I need another thousand paged Twilight saga book?

You bet!

How do I write the review?

Edward, help me, you smirking guy.

Bella, just keep grinding your front teeth.

(I need normal ray of human thoughts.....the ray.... Let me take a day or two.
Iben Frederiksen
May 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
Me going absolutely feral over the release of a twilight book in our year 2020? It's more likely than you think. ...more
lazybookconqueror
This was honestly a lot better than I expected it to be. Yes, it might be the nostalgia talking, but it wasn't as cringy as I thought it would and it definitely gave us more insight to the Cullen family, especially the relationship between Alice and Edward, and that was cool.

Is this a masterpiece? Definitely no. And I'm not sure how interesting this would be for people who aren't fans of the original books. But, to me, it was a lovely walk down memory lane. Even with all the brooding.

-----------
Mrinmayi
Aug 04, 2020 marked it as dnf
Recommends it for: PLEAE SAVE UR SELF FROM THIS DISASTER
Recommended to Mrinmayi by: Tani
Update 4
I give up on this book...
I just CAN'T keep up with whiny sparky vampy Edward
We have DIWALI here in India tomorrow!!

For those of you who don't know what Diwali is... it's our festival where we LET GO of negative things and celebrate a new beginning
And I am LETTING GO of this book before Diwali starts xD
I just can't celebrate it while this book is haunting my TBR!!

Its me burning this book in fireworks btw
this book needs NO introduction AND MANY awesome reviews have been written anyways
Wha
Phrynne
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2020
Five stars purely for the nostalgia value. It made me want to go back and read Twilight again. Or even watch the movie!

Of course the first section we have read before, back in the day, when the leaking of her manuscript caused such a sensation and made Meyer throw the book into the back of a cupboard. The middle section suited me perfectly because my favourite parts were always the Cullens at home and there was lots of that. Many other things became clearer too. How Alice's gift works. How Edwar

• Kingdom of Ashes (Nightfall, #1)
  • My Favorite Souvenir
  • All the Truths (Lies & Truths Duet, #2)
  • All the Lies (Lies & Truths Duet, #1)
  • The Fallen: Genesis (Deadly Virtues, #0.5)
  • The Lucky One (Main Theme): Piano Solo, Sheet
  • The Son of Neptune: The Graphic Novel (The Heroes of Olympus: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Allegiant: The Ultimate Interactive Quiz Book
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
  • L'amour dure trois ans (Marc Marronnier, #3)
  • City of Bones: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • Twilight (Warriors: The New Prophecy, #5)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Firestar's Quest (Warriors Super Edition, #1)
  • Sunset (Warriors: The New Prophecy, #6)
  • Dawn (Warriors: The New Prophecy, #3)
  • Sweet Possession (Sweet, #5)
  • Animal X - Genshi Sairai (Vol.1-10)
Stephenie Meyer is the author of the bestselling Twilight series, The Host, and The Chemist. Twilight was one of 2005's most talked about novels and within weeks of its release the book debuted at #5 on The New York Times bestseller list. Among its many accolades, Twilight was named an "ALA Top Ten Books for Young Adults," an Amazon.com "Best Book of the Decade So Far," and a Publishers Weekly Bes ...more

The Twilight Saga (6 books)
  • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
  • New Moon (Twilight, #2)
  • Eclipse (The Twilight Saga, #3)
  • Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4)
  • Untitled (Twilight, #6)

Articles featuring this book

They’re baaaaaaack! Young adult vampires, that is. Fifteen years after Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight took the world by storm, we’re seeing a...
“Could a dead, frozen heart beat again? It felt like mine was about to.” 238 likes
“My life was an unending, unchanging midnight. It must, by necessity, always be midnight for me. So how was it possible that the sun was rising now, in the middle of my midnight?” 72 likes