Start by marking “Unchosen” as Want to Read:
Unchosen

Unchosen

Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying curse, swoon-worthy sea captains, and the power of one girl to choose her own fate in this contemporary standalone adventure that's perfect for fans of The Fifth Wave and Seafire, and for anyone who has ever felt unchosen.

For Charlotte Holloway, the world ended twice.

The first was when her childhood crush,
Published January 26th 2021 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Unchosen, please sign up.
Cassie Yes, there is lots of cursing. Some content warnings I would give are death, a bit of gore and death of a child (not graphic or on page, but mentioned…moreYes, there is lots of cursing. Some content warnings I would give are death, a bit of gore and death of a child (not graphic or on page, but mentioned). Hope that helps!(less)

Start your review of Unchosen
Chelsea Humphrey
This is very much the type of book you devour in one sitting. I couldn't put it down, and I found the usage of "zombies" unlike anything I have ever read previously. The ending confused me a bit regarding the dropping of certain plot points, but perhaps this will be turned into a series, and more answers will be given then? Either way, this book is gorgeous, inside and out, and has a wonderfully cinematic feel to it. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one turned into a Netflix show!

*Many thanks
jenny✨
i'm only the teeniest bit ashamed to say that it wasn't "feminist" or "sea captain" that first caught my eye (though both are VERY good things)—

it was "childhood crush fell in love with older sister"

this is the sort of angst i LIVE & DIE FOR
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Unchosen is an action packed post-apocalyptic novel with zombies. Charlotte grew up in her sisters’ shadows. Her little sister is The Chosen One. Her older sister is dating her best friend that she has feelings for. Charlotte decides to claim she is the Chosen One to protect her sister. Charlotte is taken in hopes of saving everyone. Soon her lies start to unravel and she has to figure out how to save her loved ones.

Unchosen is full of action. The heroine is a young woman like in all of my favor
Booktastically Amazing
I FINISHED THE REAL ONE, Y’ALL. AND I AM MORE SO OF A MESS THAN USUAL.

RTC

——- previous review

*clears throat* Not me SUDDENLY REALIZING THAT AFTER PAGE 45 IN MY VERSION OF THE EBOOK THE WHOLE BOOK COMPLETELY CHANGED AND I WAS CONFUSED BUT STILL HAD HOPE was idiotically stupid, SO WHAT DID I DO?? I FINISHED THE BOOK.

IT WAS THE WRONG BOOK

I FINISHED THE WRONG BOOK.

SAME COVER, SAME AUTHOR.

WRONG FORMAT.

AND I ASKED MYSELF THROUGHOUT IT, "WHO IS THIS GUY?" "WHERE ARE THE PIRATES", "WHY ARE THERE GLADIAT
Claude's Bookzone
4.5 Stars

CW: (view spoiler)

Well that was my first piratical zombie fantasy, and it was a real treat!

In a world where a virus/magical curse has the potential to turn people into flesh eating monsters, Charlotte lurks in the shadows of her two incredible sisters. Harlow is a commander, Vanessa is the 'Chosen One', and Charlotte is the middle sister. I loved the concept of the how virus is transmitted because it brings with it mistrust and a 'kill or be kil
Miranda Reads
description

Just published my October Book Vlog and whew! It was a lot of reading but so worth it!
The Written Review
description
Three siblings - Harlow the eldest (amazing guitarist), Vanessa the youngest (Olympic-bound gymnast) and….Charlotte the middle sibling (who is…average).

(okay, technically she's been crushing on Dean for ages but he's recently started going out with Harlow so there goes that hobby for Charlotte).

During Vanessa's latest gym meet, a strange person interrupts it. They seem erratic,
rayne ♥ [ IG: rayne.reads ]
The cover is immaculate, this is a feminist fantasy, there's sea captains and the main character isn't the "chosen" one?

instagram | blog | goodreads

Ariel
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was everything! It had wonderful fantasy aspects that blended beautifully with the post-apocalyptic bits, swoony romance (with handsome sea captains), and just enough violence to give me a good scare at times.

UNCHOSEN had a strong start! It began with an exciting and nerve-wracking scene and then introduced the characters at a good pace. Things seemed to move at a good speed throughout the whole book really.

The plot was so intriguing! I never felt like things were dragging or dull. I
sam
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-read
i received the arc of this book from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I’m not a huge fan of post apocalyptic novels. It’s been a while since I read one actually. So I wasn’t entirely sure how my experience with this one would be but honestly, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it.

Not gonna lie, it took me about 30% to really get into the story but I really liked the plot. There were parts of the story that seemed a little too convenient and I kinda wi
Danielle (always_read_the_end_first)
Great stand-alone!!! Prefect for fans of dystopian and fantasy novels!!! Bookish box did this for their January and the theme was love triangles. I definitely didn’t get the love triangle vibes.
Kristi
“Kindness, in this world, is the only thing that shows that we’re worth the survival we’re fighting for. You should accept it as the precious and rare thing that it is. We can’t save humanity if we lose ours.”

One of my favorite subgenres in the YA category is dystopia; add in badass female characters, found family and a curse? Safe to say, I’m sold. When I saw the premise of Unchosen by Katharyn Blair it literally sang out to my soul and this didn’t change once I finished it. I read this in one
Xia ✻.

It was refreshing to read for once a standalone book.

This is that type of story you can’t stop seeing in a Netflix/Hbo show, and that type of book that makes you read nonstop, even if it’s not as good as you expected. It has that addictive factor with a crazy rhythm and the “I want to know what happens next”. From the beginning we are thrown in a turmoil of action with only small breaths of air.

Our heroine has a different spark than your usual one. She is far from perfect, specially
Jypsy
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Megan Beatie Communications and Katherine Tegen Books for an advance copy and a finished copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

UNCHOSEN
By: Katharyn Blair

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆☆

Always, I have loved dystopian stories, and I like pirates most of the time. On the flip side, I'm not a fan of zombie apocalypse stories at all because they have been done to death. UNCHOSEN is a combination featuring all of these things, and I had reservations initially. Fortunately,
Connor's Library  Corner
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was out of this world, when I found out that this was classed as a sci-fi fantasy book I thought I would not like it but I gave it a chance anyway. I AM SO GLAD THAT I DID.

The story follows Charlotte who for all of her life has been known as the average sister. During a virus that spreads over the world and is transmitted through eye contact, Charlotte takes her sister's place as the chosen one.

For starters I must say that this book has some of the best characters. I loved each charact
Taschima
"Come find me in the depths
Write redemption on my bones"

I am legit stumped on how to rate this book--let's settle with 3 1/2 stars and round up cause Goodreads still doesn't do half stars in the year of 2020.

Like, it has its faults not gonna lie, but at the same time I devoured it? I don't know if it was the author's writing of the inner monologue of the MC, the romantic tension, or the colorful set of characters (found family is my kryptonite)... but it just worked for me. The only thing th
Victoria Alyesa
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-reviews
With a cover like this one how can you not want to read this book, and thanks to the amazing people at HarperCollins I was gifted with an arc to discover what is beneath this beautiful cover for myself.

Straight from the first sentence the flow of the book is just there. Making it easy to read page after page after page; allowing you to start to connect and bond with the characters and fully immerse yourself into the story. A post-apocalyptic world where vampire/zombie like monsters are made real
Mary
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Write redemption on my bones..."

WOW! Where do I begin?! This book had me baffled from the very beginning. At first, I was really confused by a zombie virus that was spread by eye contact, but once it explained how, I was 100% on board with the idea. Not many people can blend science in fantasy stories--generally, the two are like oil and water--but somehow that's exactly what Blair did! She blurs the lines between fact and fiction by completely rewriting our idea of the zombie apocalypse.

The
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-reads
I received a copy of Unchosen in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Katharyn Blair's latest novel, Unchosen, is one for all of those out there that grew up knowing they weren't the chosen ones.

Charlotte Holloway is almost getting used to the world ending. Both figuratively, and literally, as the case may be. In short order, she had her heartbroken, and then she watched the world burn. A curse known as the Crimson rose up, tearing away her parents and nearly killing her and her sisters.

Th
Fatirah Murtaza
Jan 31, 2021 rated it liked it
Unchosen by Katharyn Blair is a story that takes place in a post-apocalyptic era whereby humanity is threatened by the vast spread of infection that can turn them into flesh-eating monsters via eye contact. The infection is called Crimson. Ones who have seen the eyes of the infected one shall turn into zombies that tear limbs to limbs.

The story navigates three sisters who are trying to survive against those monsters and on a quest to end the curse that leads to the said infection. Their life af
Yeganeh
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book is pretty much like those book that you devour it in one sitting as i did. A brand new , quick and fast pace dystopian novel with unique set and easily enjoyable characters.

The only part i have problem with is the not so kind of love triangle that honestly i didn't feel like it. And an instant love which i sort of hated and loved it?!!
And i wouldn't mind if the author took her time and expanded the world even more.
Sara Strand
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Katharyn Blair can just take all of my money.

I loved UNCHOSEN and could not put it down, between the story and the characters, this story was solid. YA Fantasy isn't my favorite genre and admittedly I am not well versed in this genre but I can tell you- I loved this book.

I loved Charlotte, I love how she knows best and even when people don't have faith in her, she has faith in herself, even when things aren't looking so hot. I loved the ending, I loved the strong, pro-feminist angle, and I wou
Blendy
This was a good book, once it got started, but it took a really long time to get there. I was bored the first few chapters, and almost dnf'd it a few times. I'm glad I didn't.

Aside from the whole feminist fantasy, swoon-worthy sea captains, and childhood crush falling in love with her older sister hooks, what really attracted me to this book was its cover. I don't know why I'm so drawn to it, but I freaking love it.

As for the story, I liked it, but it felt a little incomplete to me. Everything o
Lisa | Lady_Logomancer
Wow! This book is fantastic. I am absolutely positive that this book will be a movie or a Netflix series. I’d put money on it right now.

There’s such a wonderful powerful female vibe throughout this book. Women are badass, they are smart, they are leaders both good and evil they are making decisions about life and death and love. The character development of the main character, Charlotte, was really enjoyable. I liked the sisterhood aspect and that family would sacrifice anything to save one ano
Julie - One Book More
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Unchosen is a fast-paced young adult fantasy about a girl who will do anything to protect those she loves. The Crimson is a virus that is spread through eye contact and turns people into zombie-like monsters. When Charlotte’s parents fall victim to the Crimson, Charlotte and her sister’s lives are forever changed.

Charlotte is determined to protect her younger sister, who is The Chosen One – the person who supposedly can stop the virus and save the world. When her sister’s life is threatened by r
Kera (featherboundbooks)
I was not expecting this, folks!! From the stunning cover to the adventures inside, this book was an experience.

I am finding that I really enjoy sea faring tales. I love the openness of the open ocean and the dangers that lurk above and below the endless blue. And in Unchosen, Katharyn Blair has incorporated this pirate-esque sort of lore into a post-apocalyptic zombie riddled world. And I am obsessed.

When a curse called the Crimson descends upon people, turning them into flesh eating monsters t
Kym's Open Books

My first 5 star book of the year! Give it all the stars, I loved it! And can we drool at that cover? Total #coverlove 😍

My friend texted and told me about a book that was just sucking her in. Luckily I found it on #scribd and started it right away.

I needed this book! I needed a book to just get lost in and enjoy the ride. It’s pure entertainment and I was sucked in from minute one. I found closets to clean and walls to wash so I had an excuse to keep listening.

The world itself is riveting. Peopl
Leslie
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
"Kindness, in this world, is the only thing that shows that we're worth the survival we're fighting for. You should accept it as the precious and rare thing that it is. We can't save humanity if we lose ours".

I knew this was going to be a good one when my heart was already racing within the first 40 pages! This was an amazing, captivating apocalyptic fantasy! I really liked the worldbuilding and Blair's version of "zombies". There was plot twist after plot twist that kept me fully invested and d
Michelle
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review for “Unchosen” by Katharyn Blair. I read this book as an eARC from NetGalley. Thank you to NetGalley, Katharyn Blar, and Katherine Tegen Books for the opportunity to read and review this book!

“Unchose” is the story of Charlotte Holloway, and her life being stuck as the middle sibling. Charlotte lives in her older sister’s shadow, and she is the caretaker of her younger sister. Both of her sister’s are talented, and Charlotte is pretty ordinary. She is also in love with her older sis
Madison
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
A deadly plague that turns people into vampire-like zombies? Pirates? Intense romance? A main character who isn't the chosen one? There is so much to love about this book and I loved it!! I think my favourite part was the mix of modern setting and technology but the book has this old-school, ancient magic and legends feel. No - actually my favourite part was the romance. A long-held crush that is unattainable, slowly and passionately morphs into a romance that is intense, unexpected and so hot!! ...more
Molly
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was all over the place. I wish it had picked either supernatural or virus. Also the timeline was so odd. The world ended... not that long ago & yet they live in a VERY post-apocalypse world that seems quite established & way older than just a few years.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Glimpsed
  • The Electric Kingdom
  • Hot British Boyfriend
  • Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)
  • Into the Heartless Wood
  • Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #3)
  • Don't Tell a Soul