Start by marking “Shift World (Shift World, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shift World (Shift World, #1)

Shift World

(Shift World #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  23 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The Light Novel includes 13 black and white illustrations created specifically for this book.

A vibrant living world connects to the Shift World, a world of monsters, ruins, and treasure. One in ten thousand people can travel between the two worlds and they are known as shifters. Shifters created empires, became merchant barons, and influenced much of the world's culture. S
Paperback
Published April 2020

To ask other readers questions about Shift World, please sign up.
Christopher Gamsby Asking an author if their novel is interesting is like asking a parent if their baby is cute. No matter where the truth may be, the answer is yes, so …moreAsking an author if their novel is interesting is like asking a parent if their baby is cute. No matter where the truth may be, the answer is yes, so you may take my answer with a bit of skepticism.

I tried to make Shift World interesting in several dimensions.

Shifting is the ability some people have to travel between a set of parallel worlds. Shifting is at the heart of most of the story's action and you might find the ways shifting is used in combat, trading, and human interactions to be interesting.

The worlds in Shift World are interesting. The juxtaposition of the world's life, culture, and peace with Shift World's death, isolation, and violence will intrigue some readers. Others will appreciate seeing those clear lines blur.

The conflict between expectations and reality is interesting. Some will leave the novel wondering how much of what they think is real (I hope).

Some will wonder at the antagonist's plans. Saying any more will go into spoilers.

Although it's not necessary for understanding the plot or enjoying the story, people who've played video games will find my use of video game tropes, cliches, and mechanics to be interesting.

There are several more dimensions I could address, but I don't want to accidentally get into spoilers and may have said too much already. I hope that you found at least a few of these points interesting. (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Shift World (Shift World, #1)
Lourdes
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won a print copy of Shift World by Christopher W Gamsby in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I did enjoy the story as a whole, a real talent within Mr. Gamsby’s work. I would want to read book 2 when it comes out.

THE SYNOPSIS OF THE BOOK: A vibrant world connects to a world of monsters, ruins, and treasure known as the Shift World.

Interesting read.
Mary
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
I was given a copy of Shift World by Mr. Gamsby for my fair and honest review. Now first, I just want to say, that I consider myself a pretty avid fantasy reader. I adore most fantasy genres and I’m always looking to dive into new worlds. Shift World created a landscape that was all at once vast and familiar. The premise itself offered something to the fantasy genre that was uniquely done. Gamsby did wonders with the descriptions. Everything seemed to truly jump off the page.

It is clear, though
Candra Hodge
Epic beginning mediocre end

The story started out really good and was very captivating when it came to talking about the shift world versus the normal world. However, after the major differences between the two were revealed, I felt the story became somewhat boring and had to fight to finish it.
I won this book thru a goodreads.com giveaway
Csimplot Simplot
Excellent book!!!
Candi
Apr 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Book is Absolutely amazing. A must read. I was lucky enough to get a early copy of all his Books and I love them.
Glen
Sep 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, firstreads
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

A fantasy about people who can shift between two worlds. Didn't quite hit the spot for me for some reason.
Brandi Nyborg
I received this book through Goodreads' giveaways. What an absolutely fantastic world this author has built! The descriptions are vivid, and you can see it all in your head. I liked all of the background included in the prologue that sets you up, so you can get right into all of the action. I loved the idea of shifters, and how their abilities worked. Karp is an awesome main character. I love to see a fantasy that doesn't depend on romance to move the story forward. The story moves at a good pac ...more
Mike Siedschlag
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Shift World was for me a very different kind of fantasy read than I am used to, and different is a good thing in this case.

In this instance "Shifters" are people who can move between worlds. The worlds are geographically the same, but technologically different. Here the difference is that the world that can be shifted to has metal, and is inhabited by various monsters, where the "main" world does not h
Yolanda
I found it intriguing but would like to see some romance included.
Lyn-z
William Bitner Jr.
Jennifer beck
Amy
Jul 13, 2016
Goodreads Reviewe...: New Adult Fantasy Novel Shift World Review Request 1 7 Jul 26, 2017 03:57PM

• White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements, #1)
  • Stone Cold Touch (The Dark Elements, #2)
  • Every Last Breath (The Dark Elements, #3)
  • Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)
  • Grace and Glory (The Harbinger, #3)
  • Shakespeare Burning
  • Hollow Heathens: Book of Blackwell (Tales of Weeping Hollow, #1)
  • Stay with Me (Stay with Me, #1)
  • Now Open Your Eyes (Stay with Me, #3)
  • Even When I'm Gone (Stay with Me, #2)
  • Ember of Night (Ember of Night, #1)
  • Kiss of the Blood Prince (Wrath of the Fae #1)
  • Heart of the Winter Prince (Wrath of the Fae #2)
  • Wings of the Night Prince (Wrath of the Fae #3)
  • Opium Skies
  • Black Clouds of Cotton
  • Heroin Stained Hearts
  • Poison Laced Truths (In Vein, #4)
I grew up in the New Jersey suburbs in the shadow of New York City until I graduated college and enlisted in the US Navy, where I spent 6 years traveling around the eastern Pacific. I graduated with a Ph.D. in experimental psychology at a small mid-western university. I started writing Shift World as a way of expending my creative energies during graduate school since scientific research is a very ...more

Shift World (4 books)
  • The Horse Thief (Shift World, #2)
  • The Furies (Shift World, #3)
  • Sea Breeze (Shift World, #4)