Start by marking “A Christmas Carol” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Carol

Read Book

A Christmas Carol

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  503,261 ratings  ·  13,820 reviews
A Christmas Carol is a novella by English author Charles Dickens. It was first published by Chapman & Hall on 19 December 1843. Carol tells the story of a bitter old miser named Ebenezer Scrooge and his transformation resulting from a supernatural visit by the ghost of his former business partner Jacob Marley and the Ghosts of Christmases Past, Present and Yet to Come. ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Penguin Books (first published December 19th 1843)

To ask other readers questions about A Christmas Carol, please sign up.
Dan Hennessy I find anything of human form without a face disturbing... there are no eyes to read, no windows of the soul to look into. Very scary, indeed. Not to…moreI find anything of human form without a face disturbing... there are no eyes to read, no windows of the soul to look into. Very scary, indeed. Not to mention Ignorance and Want, the two harrowing figures under his robe. All the more scary due to its foothold in reality... (less)
Brandon Although it has been said many times I believe that this is a book that needs to be read to be truly appreciated. We all know the story but the book…moreAlthough it has been said many times I believe that this is a book that needs to be read to be truly appreciated. We all know the story but the book adds so much more. There are scenes in here that are often cut out of the many rehashes of this story. The children clinging to Christmas Present for compassion, the ghost visiting miners and lonely sea captains at sea and even the scenes involving the nephew are all sacrificed for various reasons and they add so much to the book. Reading the book made me realize that the book is more than a story about one mans' reclamation and more a fable for all of us to learn from. (less)

Bookdragon Sean
I read this every year at Christmas, and I always will do. Simply because of the atmosphere it evokes. This story is Christmas as far as I’m concerned. It wouldn’t be the same without it. It is perfectly festive and is also appropriately didactic. It is an allegory for what happens to those that are unnecessarily bitter and twisted, refusing to take part in a joyful occasion. It is a glimpse at what could happen to someone who rejects their family upon trivial grounds, and let’s themselves be se ...more
Bill  Kerwin
May 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It has been a decade since I last read this classic, so I decided to look at it again, taking note of what I have forgotten or imperfectly remembered and also garnering any new insights my older (and I hope wiser) self could now find within it.

But first, I decided to do a little research, and discovered the great irony underlying the book’s creation: how this tale that warns against miserliness was born because of Dickens' acute need for money, and how its publication resulted in a dispute about
Leo .
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic story! How terrible it was to be poor in the Victorian Era. Dickens was a humanitarian and saw first hand the poverty in the streets of London. The starving urchins trying to steal an apple or a handkerchief. The void between the rich and the poor. This story, like Oliver Twist in my opinion is a masterpiece.

The musicals are just, brilliant. 👍🐯

Christmas is coming, we know its near

Evenings are darker, the cold weather is here

Will there be snow? The sky is white

Or have they been
Kalliope
REREADING IN 2017 BUT I REPEAT EVERYTHING BELOW TO MY UN-SCROOGY FRIENDS.

I wish a most UN-SCROOGY Christmas to all my GR Friends.

With lots of:

Not too much drinking

Christmas Games

Another watch of The Nutcracker

And of course...Fascinating and Beautiful Books

And to remember what Scrooge learnt:

I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
December 2018 reread/buddy read with the Retro Reads group! Here's the discussion thread if you care to join us: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

description

Ebenezer Scrooge, the very definition of grumpy miserliness, gets a second chance at figuring out what's really important in life, with the help of some ghosts who give him an unforgettable version of "This is Your Life."

This may not be a perfect piece of literature - there are a few places where Dickens goes off on tangential lines of thought t
Lola
*3.5 stars*

I shall start by introducing you to Ebenezer Scrooge. According to the narrator, the cold-hearted, unholy and inconsiderate man we have as main character.
description
While he is described as such:

External heat and cold had little influence on Scrooge. No warmth could warm, no wintry weather chill him. No wind that blew was bitterer than he, no falling snow was more intent upon its purpose, no pelting rain less open to entreaty. Foul weather didn't know where to have him. The heaviest rain, and s
Mary
Dec 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: read-aloud
It's a family tradition to read A Christmas Carol (original, unabridged) aloud each Christmas season and then to watch at least one film version on Christmas Eve (this year it was the Muppets' Christmas Carol - very authentic - with Michael Caine).

Over the years, we have discussed the 19th century slang and customs enough so that the reading is becoming smoother and smoother without much need for editorial asides. This year we focused on favorite phrases "Marley was dead, to begin with." "the m
Candi
When I think of Christmas and all those things that make Christmas so special, A Christmas Carol immediately comes to mind right along with family, friends, beautiful Christmas trees, Mom’s anise cut-out cookies, brilliant holiday light displays, gently falling snow, festive instrumental and choral concerts, midnight mass, and angel trees. A Christmas Carol truly is a timeless classic and a beloved tradition, whether you see the movie or read the book. The blessing of this treasure is that you d ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I love A Christmas Carol

I can't believe I have just NOW read this book. I have been watching the MANY movies of A Christmas Carol since I was a little kid. My favorite being the one with Albert Finney, that seemed to be the one I watched the most. I have it on dvd (maybe blu ray, I would have to look) and I have the VHS tape for a long time. Remember those? I also have The Muppet Christmas Carol and The Christmas Carol with Jim Carey. You know I think after reading this book I'm going to have to
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
*Read for class

1. This is the first book I've finished in September I am so damn excited.
2. I have endless love for this story because my mom is obsessed with Christmas movies so I've seen at least a million adaptations of it. Happy to say the book was even better! Short and sweet, yet still Dickensian!
Alejandro
The Christmas reading par excellence!

A CLASSIC RE-IMAGINED ONCE AND AGAIN

I can't tell how many times I have watched some adaptation or another of this classic story...

...Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Kermit the Frog, the Real Ghostbusters, live action films, animated TV specials, etc...

...since this is one of the most adapted stories of all time.

A truly Christmas classic.

And this one of the few books that I think one hardly can deny that it's the novel that defines a genre, in this case:

Chris
Brina
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, holiday
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is the current runaway leader for a reread in the group Catching up on Classics for December. As I gear up for what looks to be some intense reading during the last two months of the year, I decided to pre read this short classic this week. Being that I do not observe the Christmas holiday and can sometimes feel overwhelmed by its presence during the last six weeks of the year, I felt that it was better for me to read Dickens' classic early so I could keep an ...more
Alex Farrand
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, classics
A quick read to get me into the holiday spirit. Most likely a re-read for me during Christmas. Even better than the billions movies that I watched, maybe. The Muppets are still pretty funny.
James
4+ out of 5 stars to Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, a story almost everyone is likely familiar with as early on as childhood. And we've all seen some form of this in a TV show, movie or another book, given how familiar the three ghosts of Christmas have become.

Why This Book
I honestly don't recall how I stumbled upon this book, perhaps by watching one of the movie versions as the first foray. Sacrilegious, I know. But once you see it on a TV screen, the story compels you to want to read
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens
A Christmas Carol in Prose, Being a Ghost-Story of Christmas, commonly known as A Christmas Carol, is a novella by Charles Dickens, first published in London by Chapman & Hall in 1843. A Christmas Carol tells the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, an old miser who is visited by the ghost of his former business partner Jacob Marley and the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come.
عنوانها: سرود کریسمس؛ آواز کریسمس؛ اثر: چارلز دیکنز؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: در سا
Cecily
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, christmas
The Christmas classic that everyone knows – even if they haven’t read it. It's quite short, and at some levels quite an easy read, but there is plenty of depth, so I think it's worth reading it in a thoughtful and slightly leisurely way.

Plot
It is a simple tale of how a normal man turns cold-hearted and mean and how, when confronted with memories of his past and the possible outcomes of his actions and inactions, he is redeemed by making positive changes to his life and thus that of others.

Typic
Lisa
It's not the season for A Christmas Carol, I know!

And we all know it by heart too, from reading it as children with our grandparents maybe, as young adults for essays in high school, as adults to our own children. We have watched the Disney version many times, and seen it performed on stage, for decades, in December.

So why do I have to drag out my old, torn copy of my earliest traditional December Dickens in April? Because April is the cruellest month, and it made me realise how many Scrooges a
Renato Magalhães Rocha
One should never judge a book by its cover, but this edition surely deserves an award for ugliest and laziest book cover ever made (should we start a contest?), which is a shame since a theme like Christmas is quite easy to illustrate and has a lot of recognizable symbols and its own emblems that could've been used to enhance this poorly conceived design. However, if all the budget available went to the translator, it was a good decision as it was beautifully done and, in the end, it's all that ...more
Glenn Sumi
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, before-1900

I’ve seen countless film, TV and stage adaptations of A Christmas Carol, but it wasn’t until this week that I read the actual text. Which is strange. I adore Dickens. If pressed, I’d call him one of my all-time favourite authors. But it’s a busy time of year, and when I watch the films it’s usually in a social situation.

This week I found myself with a few extra hours and finally read the novella. Wow. I’m very glad I did. Here are some thoughts:

I can see why it’s so frequently adapted and has
Cait • A Page with a View
You'd think I'd get tired of reading this when there are so many movie adaptations that it's impossible not to have the entire plot memorized. But it doesn't even matter that I could probably close my eyes and recite the story at this point because I just love the way Dickens writes! It's still enchanting aaaaand I really love this story. That is all.
Carmen
Amazing. A classic for a reason.

RE-READ: 2015. I read this book every Christmas Eve. It makes me laugh, it scares me, it makes me cry. So good! And so short! :) I must admit my favorite part is the first part where Scrooge is so grumpy and miserly. And the book is so classic, filled with classic lines that are so well-known it's a pleasure to read them because they are so familiar and true.

And, once again, it's short. No trouble to get through! Merry Christmas!

Bionic Jean
"Bah! Humbug!"

Who does not recognise this expostulation, and the old curmudgeon who spat it out. The very name "Scrooge" has entered the vernacular to indicate a mean-spirited skinflint.

"Oh! But he was a tight-fisted hand at the grindstone, Scrooge, a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner! Hard and sharp as flint."

And even the phrase "Merry Christmas" only became popular following the appearance of this novella.

A Christmas Carol is one of Dickens' most endur
Evgeny
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
One might like Christmas, or one might not; one might be a Christian, or one might not be. Anyway I do not think anybody would be arguing against the fact that this novella became practically ultimate Christmas story. For this reason I will not bother hiding spoilers in my review; if you have no clue what it is about and I spoil it for you, consider it to be my punishment for living under a rock all this time.

Grumpy Cat Christmas
Sorry, there is something irresistible about the Grumpy Cat in Christmas settings and
Leonard Gaya
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short parable or morality tale is probably one of the most read novellas within Charles Dickens’ vast body of work, and one that truly embodies the spirit of Christmas. A short book we could all do with on these cold winter nights (here in London, they are, at least)!

I guess everyone knows the story in broad strokes: Ebenezer Scrooge, a disgusting narrow-shouldered old misanthrope and life-denying penny-pincher (the avatar of Shylock, Volpone, Harpagon and many more literary misers) is abou
Annet
Having seen many movie versions of this famous book , I thought it was finally time to read the book this (time of) year and I did!
How talented Dickens was... to invent this story and write it in beautiful language. Maybe I'll reread it again by Christmas time next year, so much detail there, deserves great attention, and my good intention will be to read more Dickens in the time to come. A delightful book, a very talented writer, so long ago... A magical story, famous for its moral and 'advice
Jessica
Possibly the best Christmas book EVER. Not only the greatest story since the original (you know, the one in the New Testament), but combined with P.J. Lynch's magnificent illustrations, this book is a gift you can open year after year!

Reread 2012: I had a sudden revelation this morning as I finished this book. It's not just the greatest Christmas book ever, but I have realized that it is probably in my Top Ten of All Time. Such a beautiful work! If anything can be a favorite part, it's the Fezzi
Ginger
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
By God, Dickens just got me into a Christmas spirit!
I’m so glad I finally read this classic. It’s an excellent tale of redemption and joy.

If you have been living under a rock all these years and have not read this yet, what are you waiting for? Don't be like Scrooge. It's only 162 pages of pure unadulterated Christmas joy. Bah humbug!
Ahmed  Ejaz
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, full-lengths
Whenever I read any of Charles Dickens' works, I always think that what a great man he had been. His way of creating plots which are soo relatable yet powerful always makes me to read more of his works.
As far as this book concerns, it is marvellous. I kid you not when I say this book will definitely make you feel something. At least I felt. A lot. Of course, it's Charles Dickens we are talking about. I have read many of his short stories. But never read a book. This was my first read of his book
Phrynne
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whether we have read the book or not I think we all know the story of Ebenezer Scrooge and his overnight conversion from miser to philanthropist. The most amazing thing is that a novella written so long ago still has such an effect on us each year at Christmas time.
I love Dickens and always have ever since I was introduced to him at school by way of David Copperfield and Great Expectations. A Christmas Carol is one of his easier reads but it is still full of his wonderful way with language. No o
Valerie
A short classic, during the holidays, well why not?

The only problem I had with the book was that I had to really concentrate on the writing. I didn’t have to drag along like I used to when I read books like this but I don’t think I could enjoy the book as much because I was confused at what Dickens was trying to say some times. With all the semicolons and commas sentences are very long and it was difficult for me to keep up. I’ll say that I didn’t feel smart all the time. I also couldn’t fully
  • A Child's Christmas in Wales
  • The Mansion
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Holiday Classics
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • The Mill on the Floss
  • Little Men
  • Yes, Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus
  • Henry IV, Part 2 (Wars of the Roses, #3)
  • Barchester Towers (Chronicles of Barsetshire #2)
  • Moonfleet
  • The Birds' Christmas Carol
  • The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (The Herdmans #1)
  • A Christmas Story
  • Tales of Angria
  • The Diary of a Nobody
  • Tales from Shakespeare
  • Letters from Father Christmas
Charles John Huffam Dickens was a writer and social critic who created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime, and by the twentieth century critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and short stories enjoy lasting popularity.

Dicke
“There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.” 5011 likes
“It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humour.” 1296 likes