Start by marking “Holy Curiosity: Encountering Jesus' Provocative Questions” as Want to Read:
Holy Curiosity: Encountering Jesus' Provocative Questions

Holy Curiosity: Encountering Jesus' Provocative Questions

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
As Jesus was known in his day as a teacher who spoke with authority, it may be surprising to discover just how many times he asked a question of his listeners rather than telling them something outright. This thought-provoking study of the 'questioning' Jesus is a unique exploration of one of his most subversive teaching tools.
Published October 1st 2008 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Holy Curiosity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Curiosity

Juli
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Curiosity may have killed the cat but perhaps it's lack of curiosity that kills the soul. I question and wrestle with a lot of things - like every decision I've ever made, who I am, who God is. (But I think my questioning is more about wanting to 'get it right' than true curiosity.) Part of what I love about Winn is that he's a wrestler, too. He allows you space to explore and wonder. He's also not afraid to get messy with you. He's not scared to admit he struggles with faith, doubt, and shame. ...more
Sara Loy
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
So I finally read this book...it really spoke to where I'm at right now and called into question some subtle assumptions I have. I read one chapter in the morning as a devotional and found myself jumping ahead b/c I didn't want to put it down. Wonderful, wonderful read. Thank you, Winn!
Cathy
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Winn Collier makes doubt an integral part of faith. Certainty does not help us grow. Doubt does that. I especially appreciate how he takes us there - tenderly, gently. Exploring the questions Jesus asked (and there were many) Collier leads us to understand and accept our own human-ness and invites us to explore the questions asked by our Biblical hero as we explore our own faith. Yep. This one is a re-read too.
Littlevision
Oct 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Picked this up at the $1 store, read over the course of 2 months. I dislike the format.

There are some interesting propositions that I interpret outside of Christian paradigm such as being afraid vs. feeling fear, and confusion being the height of consciousness.

But then there's also a lot of religious BS meant to be "loving [and] gentle" but just plain making no sense. Ex: "In Jesus, God abandoned himself" (p 98) Or, "God is eager to overwhelm us with generosity and kindness. However, God's lavi
Sean Muldowney
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The author does an incredible job of highlighting how Jesus uses questions to masterfully engage the human experience. Extremely well done, with a gritty, incarnational, yet nonetheless high view of Scripture, through the lens of creative narrative.
Anthony
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
couldn't recommend this more.
Casey
Sep 06, 2009
Austin Grigg
May 20, 2009
Jardinier
rated it did not like it
Jul 20, 2010
Stephen
Dec 24, 2008
Ann Harrington
Dec 20, 2017
Winn has written for periodicals such as Washington Post, Christian Century, Soul Journey, Christianity Today, In Touch, Campus Life, Leadership Journal, Radiant, Preaching Today and Clear & Seven. For six years, Winn was the Deeper Walk editor for Relevant Magazine. His first solo book, Restless Faith: Hanging on to a God Just out of Reach is a candid exploration into the perplexing, riveting ...more
More about Winn Collier