Start by marking “When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain (The Singing Hills Cycle, #2)” as Want to Read:
When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain (The Singing Hills Cycle, #2)

When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain

(The Singing Hills Cycle #2)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  10,238 ratings  ·  1,831 reviews
The cleric Chih finds themself and their companions at the mercy of a band of fierce tigers who ache with hunger. To stay alive until the mammoths can save them, Chih must unwind the intricate, layered story of the tiger and her scholar lover—a woman of courage, intelligence, and beauty—and discover how truth can survive becoming history.

Nghi Vo returns to the empire of Ah
Published December 8th 2020 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain, please sign up.
Kaitlin Deutsch There are 3 unpublished books in the Singing Hills Cycle listed on Goodreads, though two are still untitled. Here is the next installment, Into the Ri…moreThere are 3 unpublished books in the Singing Hills Cycle listed on Goodreads, though two are still untitled. Here is the next installment, Into the Riverlands, out next year -- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5....(less)

·  10,238 ratings  ·  1,831 reviews

Start your review of When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain (The Singing Hills Cycle, #2)
chai ♡
Hello, can I interest you in:

- a non-binary cleric with little sense of self-preservation and the misfortune of being tragically curious
- a girl, a mammoth, and a lance
- scholar/apex predator slow-burn sapphic courtship (and they were wives!)
- the inherent homoeroticism of reading poetry out loud
- queer love — how cruel, how unbearably and profoundly tender
- the power of stories: stories that slip like sand held in a curled palm, uncontainable; stories like treasures from sunken ships the waves
Melanie
The Empress of Salt and Fortune ★★★★★

oh, this was a complete and utter masterpiece. 128 pages of power and perfection. not only a love letter to love, but a love letter to stories being told through generations and the power of stories being audibly passed down. and how those stories get distorted over time when others write them down, sometimes trying to make them fit
emma
sometimes, clichés exist for a reason.

"it's not you, it's me," for example.

when i first read this, i listened to it as an audiobook on a bad brain day (which is my cutesy term for a mental health emergency). it didn't hit the same as the first one and i was all, my bad, y'all. that one's on me. i probably just didn't do it justice.

so here i am, rereading it an unprecedented 2 months after my first read, and i'm ready to say i'm not taking the fall on this one.

this is a very fun story, but to me,
Tim
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey everyone, this is my 250th book review on Goodreads!!!

I didn't even realize that until after the review was posted. While purely unintentional, I'm glad this book was on one of the landmark numbers.

There is a line in this book that spoke to me in a way that I've never been able to put into words before. In the scene a scholar reads a line from her favorite book, hoping that the reading can pay a tiger to let her have access to proceed (read the story to understand that, I'll not explain it
aly ☆彡
Sep 10, 2022 rated it liked it
Have you ever felt like a fish out of the sea? Because that kind of explains me right now with the three unprecedented stars review defying all the love this book had been receiving.

When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain follows the Cleric Chih on another of their journeys of both danger and survival, as this time they travel through the northern region of Anh. After being ambushed by three shape-shifting tigers, Chih and Si-Yu, their mammoth-riding guard, are left with nothing but a story to st
Nataliya
Jul 11, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-reads
“They were Dieu’s favorite lines, and she was almost afraid to look up to see how the tiger took them. When you love a thing too much, it is a special kind of pain to show it to others and to see that it is lacking.”

Well, those lines are speaking to me right now. Because you see, I’m a bit torn. This was objectively a well-written book, no doubt, but unlike its predecessor The Empress of Salt and Fortune this one just did not resonate with me that much and left me a bit indifferent while sti
Emma☀️
When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain was a delightful, beautiful read. The prose was enchanting and I hung onto Vo’s every word until the very last page. Suffice to say, I loved this very much.

The novella follows Cleric Chih on another one of their adventures to document more stories. They, along with their companions, Si-yu and Piluk stumble across a band of hungry tigers. To ensure their safety, a night of storytelling commences.

As with The Empress of Salt and Fortune, storytelling was the f
Charlotte Kersten
“When you love a thing too much, it is a special kind of pain to show it to others and see that it is lacking.”

So What’s It About?

What I Thought

I absolutely ado
Althea ☾

[2nd read] Nghi Vo's distinctive writing really makes it so easy to get lost in the story. The amount of depth that is put into these short stories astounds me. It felt like I watched a scene from a movie.

I don't want to give too much away but this takes place in the same world as TEOSAF and it's when these two people find themselves in the mercy of these tigers in a snowwy fores
K.J. Charles
A rather lovely short featuring the cleric Chih, on a storygathering mission without their talking bird this time, plus mammoth-riders and weretigers. It's a layered tale where we get Chih telling a story to the tigers which they then correct, within the frame of the tigers planning to eat them once the story is over.

Charming and involving, though a much smaller scale story to book 1, but tbh it was about all my brain could cope with (I am virtually unable to read fiction atm). Lovely writing.
Aliette
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story about tales, truth, who gets to remember and what gets remembered--and also the f/f scholar/tiger romance of my heart.
Trish
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second story in the Singing Hills cycle is a standalone tale about the cleric Chih who travels around the kingdom of Anh to record the Singing Hills history of myths and lore. Along the way, they and their companions meet three laughing tigers.
As the tigers are very hungry, Chih needs to get creative in order to keep themselves as well as their companions alive long enough for help to arrive.
Thus begins a Sheherazade-like story with stories within the stories.

There once was a tiger with he
Mara
Aug 04, 2022 rated it really liked it
I think I liked this one even more than the first installment! I'm in love with Chih - can't wait to see their next adventure ...more
Starlah
May 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I never thought that I would fall in love with a romance between a tiger and a scholar ... but here we are!

In this second book, we once again follow Chih on their adventures. This time, Chih is the one telling a story as they and their companions run into a band of fierce tigers who ache with hunger. And to stay alive until the mammoths can save them, Chih lays out this intricate, layered story of a tiger and her scholar lover.

As with the first book, the writing is incredible, it's atmospheric,
Tatiana
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Almost as good as the first one. A love story of a scholar and a tiger, told from two perspectives. Intricate and layered, set in a fully realized, lived in fantasy world. More please.
Maëlys
☆ 5 / 5 ☆

The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills #1): 4 / 5

“I am yours, and so I will be your light and laughter. I am yours, so open your eyes to look at me, and open your mouth so that I may kiss it. I am yours, I am yours, and nevermore will I leave.”

I was very impressed and really enjoyed The Empress of Salt and Fortune but this sequel to it made me fall in love with Nghi Vo’s storytelling even harder.

We’re once again following the cleric Chih on their journey, this time witho
Samantha Shannon
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Empress of Salt and Fortune to an indescribable degree, and I thought this one couldn't possibly surpass it, but I ended up liking it just as much. A real gem of a novella that explores the complexity and layers of storytelling and the wonder of queer love. I could read about Chih recording stories for ever. ...more
Bradley
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-shelf, fantasy
New silkpunk! While I really enjoyed the first of the Singing Hills Cycle books, I liked this one better.

Why? I just did, okay! lol

Seriously, it's all about the Tiger and the Scholar. The novella was written as a story within a story, but it focuses on the true kick of the core story. Beautifully written, evocative, and emotional, it first appears to be the "dangerous man tamed by the meek woman" trope, but it retains that real subtlety that tells a very different story for those willing to list
Sara
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had completely forgotten I had pre-ordered this book and was therefore absolutley delighted when it arrived.
I cannot stress enough how much i adore this series! The writing is fantastic and really draws you in to the story, I loved Nghi Vo's previous book and was thrilled that this was just as good.
Megan
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars!! looooooved this and cant wait to read this whole series in the future!
charlotte,
And so you came to my house on the soft pads of a midwinter kitten, the whisper of your black tresses sweeping your heels, and so you came to my heart just as quietly.

On my blog.

Rep: Vietnamese-coded characters and setting, nonbinary mc, wlw mcs and side character

CWs: gore

Galley provided by publisher

The best news I ever got was that The Empress of Salt and Fortune was getting a sequel. That book was probably in my top books read in 2019 list (I’m not going to admit to how long that list
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
These stories are so weird but work so well. You just embrace their weirdness. This one is all about tigers who talk, have a human form and are set on eating the cleric, said cleric delays meal time by telling them the story of one of their tiger ancestors: a sapphic tiger who fell in love with a human, and I was absolutely entranced by it all.
Bethany (Beautifully Bookish Bethany)

Just call me a Nghi Vo fangirl at this point. I don't ever have a bad time reading one of her books. Her prose is lovely, she casually centers queer characters, and her stories just work for me. This novella continues to follow cleric Chih on their journey to record stories for the historical record. This time they encounter a band of shape-shifting tigers and must tell stories to survive long enough to be rescued. The main tale is a love story between a human woman and a tigress. The t
Sara
I absolutely loved the first installment of cleric Chih and their travelling story of recording the Singing Hills history of myths and lore in The Empress of Salt and Fortune, and this followed the same formula to winning results.

This time, Chih is riding a mammoth with a new friend when they are ambushed by laughing tigers. The only way to stop them both being eaten is if Chih will tell them a story, keeping them occupied until help arrives. So that's exactly what Chih does, with a few correct
Silvana
It's hard to describe how I felt (and am still feeling) when reading this book (and its prequel). But it resembles the feel I got from listening to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDZOi...

At this point, I would read anything from Nghi Vo about this world. I would devour anything coming out from Chih's mouth, our poor but brave storyteller. I missed Almost Brilliant's quips here but Si-yu was a great companion. And the tigers! Whoa, if you've seen a tiger IRL you'll realize they are on
aarya

Reread on September 30, 2022: Read via audio (narrated by Cindy Kay).

***

First read on October 14, 2020:

2020 Fall Bingo (#fallintorombingo🍁): Set in Another World

“Madam, I’m Cleric Chih from the abbey at Singing Hills. I’ve come—”

“To be dinner, I think,” said the tiger cordially. “All three of you will be. The mammoth can go home if she wishes.”

How is Nghi Vo so good? Gah, truly the best of what fantasy has to offer. I didn’t love this as much as Empress of Salt and Fortune (which,
Boston
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Full review to come!
breana / milkyboos ♡
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
does anyone craft short stories as beautifully as nghi vo? methinks not

if you love a sapphic romance between a young scholar and an apex predator please read
Daye
Jun 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, fantasy, queer
nghi vo’s writing........... beautiful
Maia
This is a delightfully queer historical fantasy, technically the second novella in a series but it can also stand alone. Chih, a travelling cleric-historian, is crossing a mountain pass on back of a mammoth with a guide when they encounter three deadly shape-shifting tigers. The only thing Chih can think of to keep them at bay is a story, one about the love affair of a beautiful scholar and her tiger wife. Full of ghosts, poetry, passion and danger, the tale unwinds with the tigers correcting Ch ...more

• The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Chronicle of a Death Foretold
  • The Empire of Gold (The Daevabad Trilogy, #3)
  • Guarding Temptation
  • Dawnshard (The Stormlight Archive, #3.5)
  • Gifting Me To His Best Friend (A Touch of Taboo, #2)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 4 [Tokyo Guru 4] (Tokyo Ghoul, #4)
  • A Whisper in the Dark (Charlie Travesty, #1)
  • The Low, Low Woods
  • Malorie (Bird Box, #2)
  • Here for It; Or, How to Save Your Soul in America: Essays
  • Fangs
See top shelves…
Nghi Vo is the author of the acclaimed novellas The Empress of Salt and Fortune and When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain. Born in Illinois, she now lives on the shores of Lake Michigan. She believes in the ritual of lipstick, the power of stories, and the right to change your mind. The Chosen and the Beautiful is her debut novel.

The Singing Hills Cycle (5 books)
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle, #1)
  • Into the Riverlands (The Singing Hills Cycle, #3)
  • Untitled (The Singing Hills Cycle, #4)
  • Untitled (The Singing Hills Cycle, #5)

Articles featuring this book

Author C.L. Clark is no newcomer to the sci-fi and fantasy scene. Though she just published her first novel, The Unbroken, earlier this year,...
“When you love a thing too much, it is a special kind of pain to show it to others and to see that it is lacking.” 38 likes
“I am yours, and so I will be your light and your laughter. I am yours, so open your eyes to look at me, and open your mouth so that I may kiss it. I am yours, I am yours, and nevermore will I leave.” 17 likes