Start by marking “The Very Small Home: Japanese Ideas for Living Well in Limited Space” as Want to Read:
The Very Small Home: Japanese Ideas for Living Well in Limited Space

The Very Small Home: Japanese Ideas for Living Well in Limited Space

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  162 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The Very Small Home is an inspiring new book that surveys the creative design innovations of small houses in Japan. Eighteen recently built and unusual houses, from ultramodern to Japanese rustic, are presented in depth. Particular emphasis is given to what the author calls the "big idea" for each house-the thing that does the most to make the home feel more spacious than ...more
Published March 11th 2005 by Kodansha

To ask other readers questions about The Very Small Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Small Home

Hannah
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for practical ideas on small home/efficient living for an existing house then this book probably isn't for you - it might give you some ideas you can implement but it is more about looking at the overall ideas of efficiency of space whilst maintaining function, comfort and a pleasant aesthetic in specific examples.

I still really like this book and would recommend it if that sounds interesting to you, but it is far more of an architectural study of a selection of Japanese hous
Darrell
Oct 08, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: marieka
thinking back on the studio apt and cooking breakfast in the current 1 bedroom,
I doubt that the sprawling detatched ranch style home on a half acre, faux italianate Mc Mansion, Victorian giant cookie cutter will ever be in my price range (since a major metropolitan area will be a constant in our lives for the forseeable future) or in my category of desires (i tend towards modern and minimal) - I definitely want to own a house and want to be able to entertain family and friends in such a space s
Jason Keenan
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japan

Tiny houses seem to be all the rage these days. I’ve seen them profiled on talk shows, on news programs, and online. If you want to go back to the start, a great place is the 2005 book The Very Small Home: Japanese Ideas for Living Well in Limited Space by Azby Brown.

The book profiles 18 very small homes in Japan - their layout, the features that make the space seem larger, and their techniques for packing a full life into a small home. The brilliant designs for
Adriane Devries
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
A quiet, pastoral and almost poetic image is associated with small homes in Japanese culture, and in Western society, as well: Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau and Emily Dickenson all wrote best when secluded in quiet cabins, seemingly released from the “great anxiety within society,” caused by economic depressions, political unrest and crime. A rich and fertile life is created within these more intimate settings because of, and not in spite of, the fact of their smallness.

A favorite hig
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Nice book with lots of pictures. The cutaway axon like sketches really help understand the incredibly compact and complex spaces. Sora No Katachi House on page 54 is my favourite, having a courtyard and using it to blend indoor and outdoor spaces. Unlike many of the other houses, it also has more "private" rooms and uses black and wood tones as opposed to many of the homes white are mostly all white.
Dee
Nov 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Nice pictures- but I can't understand how you could live with so little stuff- unless you just have a ton of money to spend on not having stuff :). The architecture was beautiful but must cost a fortune. This book is more for flipping through than reading cover to cover- and not about practical ideas for your own house- unless you're really rich.
Becca
Jul 09, 2008 rated it liked it
We picked up this book because we live in a stinkin' small space. We have to be careful when we invite over families with more than one child so there's enough room. The solutions they had for small living were mostly very expensive, so I couldn't use any of the ideas, but the pictures were really nice and beautiful.
Bluedaizy
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gift
Got this as a Christmas present from mom. Read it in about 20 minutes, got some interesting ideas for the attic I want to finish. Nothing really inspirational in the home improvement/decorating genre for me, though.
A
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
love the informative writing and the detailed look at the various designs/spaces. i wish there were more photographs of the various innovative design elements and more background information regarding the various architects and home owners.
Isabella
Dec 04, 2011 added it
Shelves: organize
Love the details.
Elaine
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nice photos. Great book to get ideas from for your own small spaces.
Jimmy Jhonn
Apr 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
quiero leerlo en linea
Heather
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
There was some really nice interesting houses in here.
Sara Q
May 24, 2014 marked it as skimmed
Shelves: creativity, home
Most of the examples are way too stark and cold to me, but some of the floorplans could be interesting should we ever in our wildest dreams have money for an addition.
Kami
Oct 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: eco
I didn't read this one word for word, but is a great book. The Japanese have got this small home thing down!
N.L. Riviezzo
Nice pictures to look at but clearly a 'living simple if you're very wealthy' kind of book.
anthony
Survey of contemporary small homes in Japan, often built in on very restrictive footprints.
Linda
Pleasant to look at, not much here for those not building (expensively?) from scratch.
Cyndi
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting, but I think it would be most helpful to someone building from scratch or extensively remodeling.

Grace Wing-Yuan  Toy
Jul 10, 2012
James
Sep 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • How to Live in Small Spaces: Design, Furnishing, Decoration and Detail for the Smaller Home
  • Tiny Houses
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • Green Architecture
  • The Small House Book
  • Compact Cabins: Simple Living in 1000 Square Feet or Less
  • Humble Homes, Simple Shacks, Cozy Cottages, Ramshackle Retreats, Funky Forts: And Whatever the Heck Else We Could Squeeze in Here
  • Not So Big Solutions for Your Home

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99