Start by marking “White Trash Warlock (Adam Binder #1)” as Want to Read:
White Trash Warlock (Adam Binder #1)

White Trash Warlock

(Adam Binder #1)

Guthrie was a good place to be from, but it wasn’t a great place to live, not when you were like Adam, in all the ways Adam was like Adam.

Adam Binder hasn’t spoken to his brother in years, not since Bobby had him committed to a psych ward for hearing voices. When a murderous spirit possesses Bobby’s wife and disrupts the perfect life he’s built away from Oklahoma, he’s for
Published October 13th 2020 by Blackstone Publishing

To ask other readers questions about White Trash Warlock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Trash Warlock

Start your review of White Trash Warlock (Adam Binder #1)
Sean Gibson
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s interesting—despite my abiding love of fantasy, and though you could, perhaps, characterize the greatest movie ever made (okay, well, my favorite movie of all time, anyway)—that would be Ghostbusters, for those of you haven’t been paying attention—as urban fantasy, I have not read especially deeply into that particular (sub)genre. And, to the extent that I have, it’s been forays into stories more like the brilliant The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep than, say, the works of Laurell K. Hamilto ...more
K.D.
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A novel like this is exactly why the Urban Fantasy genre has staying power. Look at what David R. Slayton did: he turned the usual tropes on their ass, and created an amazing, fresh story. A rural setting; relatable paycheck-to-paycheck characters; strong LGBT+ representation… It’s an exceptional debut. We need more books like this.
Madison Warner Fairbanks
White Trash Warlock by David R Slayton
Urban fantasy. Alternating chapters between Adam and Richard. Very slow burn M-M relationship potential.
Adam Binder can’t say no to his brother when he begs Adam to help his wife. Richard admits to seeing something unusual even though he once committed Adam for “seeing things”. The otherworldly possession is more than just one person and Adam is soon fighting for his life to keep everyone safe.

His past is a sad and tragic family relationship, but Adam prove
Bradley
Feb 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I totally admit that I picked this up mostly on the strength of the title, alone. I kinda expected a funny Urban Fantasy with a bunch of hicks digging deeper and deeper in the doo, but strangely enough, that ain't was this is.

What we do have here is a solidly serious intro that doesn't shy away from poverty, low-powered magic, or family misunderstandings/grievances. From that point on, we do get some cool magical setups, a m/m romance that is as charming as it is a bit fated, and a seriously coo
K.J. Charles
Enjoyable urban fantasy with a gay lead and the start of a romance (with obligatory UF love triangle), very firmly grounded in the extreme poverty of US 'white trash'. The writing's rather plain in style but the storytelling builds up nicely. ...more
Lisazj1
When I first saw this book listed, I read the Scottsdale Public Library's review, I was hooked: If Sam and Dean Winchester from Supernatural had a book baby with Harry Dresden from Jim Butcher's series, this would be the little bundle of joy. This is a pretty perfect description, and it was this more than the blurb that made me want to read.

There was actually a whole lot more angst and honest pain in this than I was expecting, and a whole lot of wrong done to Adam Binder by the very people
Shaun Hutchinson
May 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book this was. I've had this on my TBR pile for a while, and I wish I'd gotten to it sooner. Adam Binder is a relatable character dealing with being magic in a world that doesn't understand magic, and queer in a world that doesn't understand queerness. He's got family issues, end-of-the-world issues, and a potential new romance while he's still pining for his ex, who happens to be an elf.

Already picked up the sequel, and can't wait to dive into it.
Trish
Feb 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to America. An America where the "other" realm, inhabited by gnomes, elves and other supernatural creatures as well as magic is just a breath away. Some people have magic in their blood themselves and can therefore see, some even cross over (and back). Adam is such a person. A witch. The problem? His family does NOT appreciate his gift, underdeveloped as it may be. On the contrary: they are in denial to the point where his brother and mother had Adam committed to a psych hospital.

Many ye
Scottsdale Public Library

Adam Binder has a gift, though he would not necessarily consider his empathetic and magical abilities to always be a wanted power. A terrible, rotten, no good being has a hold of his sister-in-law and he must do what he can to save her, his relationship with his brother and the whole of Denver.

This is a light urban fantasy with heart, remarkably wond
Teal
I'm not really cut out for urban fantasy. At least not UF with creatures. Supernatural species? Whatever you call them. Ugh. Still, I gave this a solid 4 stars and am looking forward to the next in the series. It's quirky and original, despite those damn creatures (elves ffs, dragons and even leprechauns), and it starts out very rural fantasy, in a trailer park in Oklahoma, before moving to the big city of Denver.

Adam gets one POV, and I consider him the MC, but the other POV goes to his big bro
Mir
Dec 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Very solid urban fantasy debut novel with interesting characters and world-building. Especially recommended for Denverites, who will likely recognize most of the locations. A friend saw me reading this and immediately asked, "Why are they destroying the Daniels & Fisher tower?" then informed me that it was the tallest building between the Mississippi River and the state of California at the time of construction.

Ongoing location convo with said friend:
Me: "There's an apocalyptic mural in your ai
Book Barbarian  (Tammy Smith)
eARC received from Edelweiss, thank you to Edelweiss and Blackstone Publishing (opinions are my own).

New urban fantasy with old school magic elements, but did this just miss the mark?

I loved this synopsis and I know this novel is going to make a lot of people happy but I was just not one of them and I can pin point the exact moment when everything just fell apart.….but more of that later.

Also, old school fantasy lovers: This might be the new adventure you were looking for, read on and see w
Emily Ozuna
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
•ENGLISH/ESPAÑOL•

~ENGLISH~

The Arc for this novel was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am trying to write this review with all the self-control I have in my being and I CAN'T! ITS BEAUTIFUL! I swear to you that I was shocked by the marvel of the book that I have found and that YOU NEED TO READ NOW.
It is not a suggestion, I am saying that this book is NECESSARY for you to continue living and be happy because it is AMAZING!

The story centers on Adam, a magic
 ~Preeti~
(Urban fantasy, gay lead, love triangle, family bond, no on-page sex, duology)

Isn't it awesome, when you pick a fantasy book solely based on 'it has a gay lead' turns out to be so fascinating that you just don't care about no on-page sex scene???🤭🤭

1. Most YA/Adult urban fantasies have rich educated MCs with an urban background. Here Adam Binder is impoverished, not even a high school pass, having been kept up in the psychiatric ward before he escaped to live in the trailer park with his aunt.

Ada
Caz
I've given this a B+ for narration and an A- for story at AAR

David R. Slayton’s White Trash Warlock was recommended to me a while back (by Gregory Ashe, no less) so when I saw it in the Audible Plus catalogue**, I pounced on it  – and I’m so glad I did, because I was completely glued to it for the entire nine-and-a-bit hours of its run-time.  The story is inventive, the central character is flawed, complex and captivating (just how I like ‘em!) and the narration is really good, so it was a win a
Kathleen
Sep 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75 stars for the audiobook

As with the book, this is a strong start to Slayton's series, Adam Binder. A magic rollercoaster of a ride. Colorful deftly drawn characters, solid world building, fascinating unique storyline, and an unexpected twist.

Narrator Michael David Axtell delivered an excellent performance. What a difference it made for the story. Issues I had with the book simply disappeared. I'm chomping at the bit for the next in the series.
Kathleen
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, urban-fantasy

A strong start to Slayton's series, Adam Binder. A magic rollercoaster of a ride. Colorful deftly drawn characters, solid world building, fascinating unique storyline, and an unexpected twist.

I did wish for less tell and more show, and only Adam's POV.

Personally, I thought he ended up with the wrong potential love interest. 😄
Rogier
Growing up is difficult for many. Growing up poor worsens it. Adam Lee Binder is Oklahoma trailer trash. The low class of society, which most don't give a fuck about. Adam has been able use the Sight to see the other side; the spirit realm and other planes since he was a child and it happened frequently growing older and to every day in his teens. This causes strain on his family resulting in tense relationships. His own brother and mom locked him up in a psychiatric facility, which they think w ...more
Eugenia

Monsters
Dragons
Octopi
Leprechauns
And more for your paranormal pleasure!

Despite the cute cover (it’s cute 😉) this isn’t a cute tale...it’s creepy AF!

This is the story of Adam. Of Adam and his brother.
Flashbacks in time

HFN-ish

Get me part 2 now!
Gabi
Nov 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Not a funny story, this one. Don't be swayed by the cover.
I truly loved this world the author created. Spirits and elves and Death. Kind of a mixed universe. On top of that there is a love triangle, which I haven't read in a long time.
There are lots of possibilities as to how the story could continue, I'm curious to see where the author will take it.
Dumbledore11214
Kelly
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Urban fantasy is one of my favourite genres, and this book is so fresh and interesting! Adam has a pretty crappy relationship with his brother, who has him committed to a psych ward, but he goes to Denver to help him when he phones to say his wife sick. He’s also tracking some weird magical energy that may or may not be his missing dad and - surprise - that trail is also leading him to Denver.

I really liked Adam, and it was so different reading about a MC who came from a less

I picked up White Trash Warlock on a lark. It seemed interesting, and I was in the mood for some urban fantasy that was, perhaps, a bit different than the urban fantasy I typically see on bookshelves. What I did not anticipate, is losing two nights of sleep just plowing through this book, or having so much fun reading it, it became the focal point for all my thoughts.

I’m not a huge urban fantasy reader. I do love the genre when I find a really good book i
Gustaf
Jan 18, 2022 rated it really liked it
Oh boy this was a wild ride. I wild, crazy, sometimes scary ride that I throughly enjoyed.

Full review to come.
Carol Berg
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
White Trash Warlock is a delightful debut contemporary fantasy! Adam Binder is a hero to cheer for. The young man from the Oklahoma sticks has family problems, a life that’s going nowhere, a heart hungry for connection, and a modest talent for magic in a world that sees it as insanity. But author David Slayton takes Adam on a ride – in his ancient Olds Cutlass – to a magically afflicted Denver, where Adam’s talent for seeing into the spirit world might be the only thing that averts a psychic cat ...more
Lori¸¸¸.•*❀Ɍɛɑɗs̱LɪƙɛIʈs̱H̱ɛɍJɔɓ  유❤유
OMG, THIS. WAS. AMAZING! It may not have been the absolute best book I have ever read, but, damn, it was interesting and different and entertaining as hell. I loved the spin it put on the magical world. It had a lot of magical creatures in it but didn't go into depth about each one so they have to be taken at face value at this point. I am really excited to read more about Adam and everyone else as the series progresses. I hope the next book will be coming out soon because I would love to see ho ...more
jordyn ♡ birdie's book nook
For more of my reviews, check out my blog.

God, I just love a good urban fantasy/paranormal romance book. White Trash Warlock hit ALL my buttons in the best possible way. Adam Binder is a scruffy dirt-poor magic user who does his best to try and save a bunch of innocents from a horrible entity that's formed in a Chicago hospital. There's leprechauns, elves, dwarves, time twisty things, Death itself and all sorts of cool characters.

This book is GAY, gay, gay in the best way. It's not subtle, it's
jut
this was awesome

rtc
Ariana Nash
Dec 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book should have had THIS cover:

Can that be arranged?

Thanks.

The covers for White Trash Warlock slightly miss the mark, suggesting whimsy, funny fantasy, when it's really NOT that at all. A bit like the covers for Lilith's series completely missed the mark by a mile suggesting her book was fun, dark, urban fantasy and that really wasn't what Trailer Park Fae turned out to be (think more like reading Chaucer than urban fantasy!) but that's a different review!

C'mon, publishers, know your marke

• Valentine
  • The Hourglass Throne (The Tarot Sequence, #3)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
  • The Last Voyage of Skidbladnir
  • Blood Is Another Word for Hunger
  • Beyond the Dragon's Gate
  • Ryan Quinn and the Rebel's Escape (Ryan Quinn #1)
  • Be Gay, Do Comics
  • The Prey of Gods
  • A Royal Guide to Monster Slaying
  • Interstellar Cinderella
  • Reading Beauty
  • The New York City Triangle Factory Fire (Images of America: New York)
  • Yorick and Bones
See top shelves…

Adam Binder (3 books)
  • Trailer Park Trickster (Adam Binder, #2)
  • Deadbeat Druid (Adam Binder #3)