Start by marking “Lake Crescent: A Creature X Mystery” as Want to Read:
Lake Crescent: A Creature X Mystery

Lake Crescent: A Creature X Mystery

A TV documentary crew explores murky waters in search of legendary lake monster Cressie, only to dredge up a body instead.

Laura Reagan, host of the cryptozoological documentary series Creature X, and her team are in Newfoundland shooting an episode about Cressie, a legendary giant eel. Things don’t start off great: scientific evidence is scarce, stories keep changing, and
Expected publication: July 6th 2021 by Dundurn Press

To ask other readers questions about Lake Crescent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lake Crescent

Start your review of Lake Crescent: A Creature X Mystery
Carolyn Walsh
Many thanks to NetGalley and Dundurn Press for the second book in the Creature X Mystery series. I had read and enjoyed the previous book, Roanoke Ridge and was excited to receive the advanced digital copy. I did not feel it lived up to the promise of the first book in the series, mainly because I found the subject of the investigation, a giant fresh water eel, not as tantalizing or frightening as the Bigfoot (Sasquatch) in Roanoke Ridge.

From childhood, I was always fascinated by books and art
Dana-Adriana B.
Mar 13, 2021 rated it liked it
Laura is searching for Cressie, a lake monster, in Lake Crescent. While dragging the lake a body is found and Laura is ready to solve the mystery.
I did not enjoy the book as much as I wanted.
Thank you Netgalley for this book.
L.A.
Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for my review.
I’m not normally a fan in the Sci-Fi section, but when I saw it was more a murder mystery....I was game. Laura Reagan is searching for a lake monster called Cressie, in Lake Crescent, so with her camera crew they disrupt a town. When interviewing the town’s people, they find the stories change. With little to go on, she realizes this may be a waste of time.
While dragging and diving in the lake for this creature, the
Sam
Dec 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first book in the Creature X Mystery series, so I figured I'd enjoy this one as well.

Laura takes her team to Newfoundland to shoot an episode on Cressi for their documentary series Creature X. Cressie is rumored to be a giant eel, but there is no scientific evidence, the town's people change their stories all the time and some of the locals just aren't too fond of a camera crew go around their town for a sensational story. When the team lowers some equipment to the bottom of the la
Janet
Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Date reviewed/posted: December 12, 2020
Publication date: August 3, 2021

When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is once again closed and you are continuing to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book fr
Joyce
Dec 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
224 pages

3 and 1 / 2 stars

Laura Reagan is a presenter on a television show that debunks stories of fantastic creatures/monsters. This time she and her team ar headed to Lake Crescent in Newfoundland. A gigantic eel (?) that the locals have named Cressie is supposed to live there.

When the local wise acre offers them a chance to examine the giant eel he “caught” in the lake, (for only five thousand dollars), the scientists know that it's a scam. But they decide to play along. When they sail out t
Elaina
Jan 26, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I had a rough time reading this book not because it lacked an interesting plot, it was me being struggling to read too many books in a short period of time. This double mystery-solving novel has some gripping storylines, though.
Honestly, it has been an "on and off" reading, the mystery-solving case was cliché at some times, all culminating with an abrupt and not at all surprising ending.
Many thanks to NetGalley and Dundurn Press for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Elaine

Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of Lake Crescent.

I didn't read the first book in the series but the sequel works well as a standalone.

I love cryptozoology, ever since I was kid, especially Nessie, and this included a mystery so I said, "Yes, count me in!"

** Minor spoilers ahead **

Laura Reagan, host of the cryptozoological documentary series Creature X, and her team are in Newfoundland investigating the legend of Cressie, a giant eel.

It's not easy producing a documentary with li
Holly
Feb 06, 2021 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc, ebook
DNF 15%

Didn't work for me this time, but I'll try again closer to publication.
Samantha Garner
Apr 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An engaging and cinematic second book in the Creature X Mystery series. It was great to revisit Laura and Saad, and the new cast of characters in the story's small Newfoundland town were vividly drawn. And, like in any good mystery, they were more than they seemed. It was hard to put this novel down! ...more
sari
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, netgalley
i was hoping for more cryptid content but the mystery was interesting and the premise was fun, def gotta read the first book of the series as well

thanks to netgalley & dundurn books for an arc in exchange for an honest review!
George Ripley
Feb 07, 2021 rated it liked it
A documentary crew searching for a giant eel rumored to live in a remote harbor in Newfoundland get more than they bargained for when they discover not a long-lost creature from the deep, but a dead body. Everyone in town could be a suspect. Can the murderer be brought to the surface before it's too late?

This was a fun book. First of all, Lake Crescent is the second book in J.J. Dupuis' Creature X series with Laura Reagan as the main character. That being said, I had no problem dropping into thi
O Prism
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Cryptozoologist, what a cool word, and a search for a giant eel reeled me in to this book. Laura Reagan brings a “ghost hunters”style TV team to Newfoundland to document a giant eel sighting. They are taken to see a large eel which they know is a scam, but keep the footage anyway. The book begins with the search for the eel; when they accidentally pull up a dead body, it becomes a crime scene. I enjoyed this book, though there is room for improvement. You get to know the small town and some very ...more
Auds
Jan 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Searching for the infamous giant eel at Lake Crescent but only greeted by a dead body. Just
this idea alone already made a great story. But when the locals add up some different stories,
then you`ll know that this is misery loves company kind of town.

Cressie is the name of the giant eel that the team of Laura Reagan is looking for. The locals
chose that name. They even offer the team of Laura to examine the body of the giant eel they
caught. Knowing that it is a scam they still insist on doing so, f
LB
Jan 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Laura Reagan is a Cryptozoologist that hosts a TV series named Creature X.
She and her crew set out to Crescent Lake in Newfoundland to film her latest documentary as they search for “Cressie” a gigantic eel said to be living in Crescent Lake. “Cressie” has been described by locals to be as large as a human thigh. Evidence of actual sightings is sketchy at best. When a local declares he has caught the legendary eel and offers to allow Laura and crew to examine it for a fee of $5,000 they realize
Andriana Richard
Dec 27, 2020 rated it liked it
3 Star
Lake Crescent is the second in the Creature X series, following Roanoke Ridge.

A cryptozoologist and her tv documentary series crew visit Lake Crescent, Newfoundland, Canada in search of the infamous giant eel, Cressie. While pulling up their ROV from the brackish water after a day of underwater exploration, they pull up a female skeleton as well. Thus, an investigation opens up involving small town rumours, pirate treasure, and love triangles. What is this tight knit town hiding? What is
dona
Jan 28, 2021 rated it liked it
Laura Reagan is a cryptozoologist who takes a team of scientists, students and film crew to the shores of Newfoundland in search of Cressie, a famous or mythical giant eel believed to be living in the depths of Lake Crescent.
The “out of towners” are made to feel welcome in the small community, growing fond of a number of the locals they have been meeting with interviewing for the upcoming film special.
When a woman’s body wrapped in a tarp with antique Portuguese coins turn up during one of the c
Mike Stafford
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J.J. Dupuis deftly delivers another truly thrilling "Creature X" mystery with Lake Crescent. The welcomed second entry in this sensational series starts with a lake monster legend in Newfoundland. However, after their arrival on the scene, our favorite cryptozoological investigation team find themselves knee deep in a murder mystery. Will they find the creature? Will they find the killer? Those questions propel the reader forward in this wholly satisfying page turner. Any person with an interest ...more
Ilona
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Cryptozoology… what? Just the term got me hooked, I did not read the first book, but had no problem diving into book 2. Laura Reagan is a host for the “Creature X” TV series. Laura and crew set out to Newfoundland to search for “Cressie” a giant eel that is supposed to live in Crescent Lake. While searching the team finds a body, and with it comes a 2nd search, who is it and how did the body end up in the lake …
The book is very well researched, and I was glad to see some of the typical Newfound
Kelly
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was ok
I want to thank NetGalley and Dundurn Books for the Advanced Release Copy in exchange for my honest review!

I really wanted to love this book! The premise sounded so interesting! Parts of the book really dragged; it felt stiff, dry, and at times lacked urgency even when there was action on the page. I want my thrillers to pull me in and not let go.

There were a lot of characters and suspects, and I had a difficult time keeping track. None of them were particularly memorable so that didn't help eit
Brenda
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Though the second in the series, this is my first read written by J. J. Dupuis. Cryptozoology fascinates me (I'm a water creature lover!) and was not disappointed in the bits of science and legend presented here. Cressie, the legendary lake monster in Lake Crescent, Newfoundland, has made appearances dozens of times throughout history.

Laura is drawn to this legend and has a personal quest as well. She is the team leader of a cable TV show which flies to NFLD to film locals tell their stories an
Estee
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
A television crew goes to Newfoundland to document the sighting of a giant eel Cressie (interesting!!!) when they find a skeleton (ooh! even more interesting!) and start investigating what happened. This book has so many elements of a book that I would love but unfortunately I didn't.

For the first 30% the book felt dry and textbook-ish. The action started to pick up after that but even in the end, I couldn't really keep track of who did what and who was who. Maybe it was me, but it didn't ever
Nadine Vansant
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to #NetGalley and #Dundurn Press for providing me with this book.

No spoilers here. You just have to read it yourself.

The book doesn't start as a mystery more as an adventure story... instead of looking for the monster of Loch Ness it is Cressie here in New Foundland. Different setting, BUT with its mysteries, an unexpected dead body, an unexpected murder and more unexpected people.

as a mystery it reads easily, not difficult to follow at all. I read it in a just a few days and it get
Jen
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thanks NetGalley and Dundurn Press for this book. It was a fast read, and engaging. A cryptozoologist and her team head to Newfoundland to look for Cressie, a giant eel, so they can film a documentary. Cue the scary music. Instead, they pull up a skeleton wrapped in a tarp along with a Portuguese gold coin. What don’t the villagers want the outsiders to know?
This book is set for a Summer publication and it will be a great beach read.
Alice
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly I njoy this novel a lot.
It's not typical gender I prefer to read or neither I have read the previous work by this author but for this type of fiction it's pretty good I would say.
It has mystery, suspense and a very easy writing to follow.
I finish it in one sitting and immediately came in my mind a Scooby-Doo series, which is my all-time favorite so I'm going to say that definitely I would love to see more from this author.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with this copy.
Ginger
Apr 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Not my usual genre but the description intrigued me!

It was a bit slow to start but after about the 10% mark, I was hooked.

Believable world building that includes other-worldly species, a mystery, a bit about relationships and some unexpected humor.

If you enjoy SciFi with a mystery tossed in for good measure - this book is for you.
Jaclyn
Apr 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Lake Crescent is a fantastic instalment to the Creature X Mystery series. As fun as Roanoke Ridge was, I thought Lake Crescent was even better. I felt like the series characters had more room to breathe, and there was a classic, psychological feel to the murder mystery that I loved.

Full review on my blog: https://literarytreats.com/2021/05/01...
Dave
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced reading copy of this book through NetGalley. I discovered that it was the second book in a series and I haven't read the first one in the series. That being said, the book works as a stand-alone book for the most part. There are some mentions to events that happened in the first book, but not many.

One thing I found was that a number of the lesser characters were not introduced very well and they all seemed to blur together to me. It didn't help that there was some flipped
Crystal Rees
Jan 25, 2021 rated it liked it
Loved the location of the story and the characters were richly described and true to the area. A fun, easy read with just the right amount of mystery to keep me intrigued. Fully invested in the storyline right from the beginning. Would love to read more of this series.
Shireen

• The Dinner Guest
  • The Wife Upstairs
  • Reluctantly Home
  • Such a Quiet Place
  • Madhouse at the End of the Earth: The Belgica's Journey into the Dark Antarctic Night
  • Whisper Island
  • A Dark and Secret Place
  • The Photographer
  • Silence in the Library (Lily Adler Mystery #2)
  • Mirrorland
  • Colony
  • The Last Thing He Told Me
  • Gone for Good (Detective Annalisa Vega, #1)
  • The Keepers (Mace Reid K-9 Mystery, #2)
  • The Drowning Kind
Librarian Note: Also writes under the pen name Jeff Dupuis.