Start by marking “Gloria the Summer Fun Bus” as Want to Read:
Gloria the Summer Fun Bus

Gloria the Summer Fun Bus

Gloria is a special Playbus.
She is painted with bright colours that make her stand out.
now she is ready for a summer of fun, but will Max enjoy the adventure.
Why don't you join in the fun, too?

A fictional tale based on a real double-decker bus that entertained children during their school holidays.
Offering a safe place to play and meet with friends.

Perhaps she is just what
Published April 2020 by JayJayBooks

To ask other readers questions about Gloria the Summer Fun Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gloria the Summer Fun Bus

Start your review of Gloria the Summer Fun Bus
Dash fan
5☆ A Fun, Engaging and Educational Picture Book. A Must Read for all ages!

First of all I want to take a moment to appreciate how absolutely delightful the book cover is for this wonderful Children's Book.

I adore Sue Wickstead's books and always, eagerly look forward to the next adventure. Each of the stories in the series are based on real Fun Buses, which make each story extra special!
You can find out more at the back of each book.

This time round we are with Gloria The Summer Fun Bus.
Max and
Anna || BooksandBookends
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This gorgeous book is perfect to share with nursery aged children. With beautiful bright illustrations and a wonderful story full of heart to match!

Max has refused to go on the playbus, he thinks it’s too childish and that it won’t be fun. He tries his best to do things he knows are wrong to get in trouble. When it doesn’t work, he finally sees that it might actually be fun on the bus.

It’s a short book with a wonderful message that trying new things isn’t something we should be afraid of. You ne
Jo - Cup of Toast
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gloria is a well paced, engaging story about a bus that is transformed into a summer holiday playbus. It follows in particular one little boy, Max, who doesn’t appear keen to partake in the activities on the bus. The story is supported throughout with lovely, interesting illustrations that really highlight how special Gloria is. I also liked that there were questions asked partway through, relating to a particular activity. If you give time to pause on these, they provide a lovely opportunity to ...more
Felicia
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read Gloria the Summer Fun Bus, to my five-year-old grandnephew, Jordan, while he was visiting one afternoon. We enjoyed a marvelous story, and he learned a meaningful lesson.

Gloria is the latest city bus remodeled into an interactive play area for children to enjoy during school holidays. When Gloria’s driver, Bridget, greets the latest group of children, they’re all very excited and eager to board the bus, especially little Harry.

But Harry’s older brother, Max… not so much. He thinks the bus
Susan Corcoran
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a long time fan of Sue Wickstead’s books all of which are beautifully written. They tell welcoming stories for children that can be read by parents to young children and by those learning to read independently.

That remains true for Gloria The Summer Fun Bus, is a story about the power of play and imagination in the lives of young children.

From the first page to the last Gloria The Summer Fun Bus is bright and fun to read. It is the story not just of Gloria, but a young boy called Max, who g
Nicola Smith
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gloria the Summer Fun Bus is another lovely instalment in Sue Wickstead's bus adventure books.

Gloria was a red double decker airport bus until she was given a brand new look as a children's play bus. With a bright new livery she was transformed. Gorgeous colours and pictures of an aeroplane and a girl reading a book about a bus adorn the outside, and inside are numerous different play areas for children of all ages.

The story is about Harry and his big brother, Max. Harry is happy to get stuck in
Rachel Bustin
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful children’s story from Sue Wickstead. There is something truly special about her stories. This one – Gloria the Summer Fun Bus is inspired by a real Gloria bus. You can read about this at the back of the book. A nice touch!

Max, a little grumpy boy is one of the stars of this book. Sorry but we think the main star is Gloria of course! Hehe! So Max is a moody little boy who doesn’t want to play on the play bus. He thinks it’s for “babies” His younger brother cannot wait to join hi
Heidi Lynn’s BookReviews
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
First, I want to thank Sue Wickstead and Rachel’s Random Resources for providing this book for me so I may bring you this review.

Gloria and the Summer Fun Bus by Sue Wickstead was such a cute and fun read. Kids of all ages would really enjoy the storyline and the illustrations.

I liked the messages Gloria gave put in this book. That being you are never too old to be a young kid. Also, try new things you never know if you are going to like them.

The illustrations made the story pop with the beaut
StaceyWare19
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: booktour-2020
Thank you very much to @rachelsrandomresources for inviting me on this fun tour and @sue_wickstead for a copy of your lovely book.
🚌
Gloria is a special Playbus.
She is painted with bright colours that make her stand out.

Now she is ready for a summer of fun, but will Max enjoy the adventure?

Why don’t YOU join in the fun too?
🚌
Wow! What a lovely book for children, it has a lovely storyline, good characters and colourful exciting illustrations!
🚌
This journey the children go in with Gloria is wonderful
R.A.
Apart from Max's rotten attitude for most of the book, it was fun to read! ...more
Felicity Terry
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another of my and my little assistants' favourite authors, we've come to expect great things of Sue Wickstead and this, one of several books in her 'Bus Series', does not disappoint.

Based on an actual bus. Yes, that's right, Gloria is based on an actual bus. A Leyland Atlantean (NRG176M), which, as we were informed at the back of the book, replaced a previous playbus, the real Gloria, was often found parked at Gatwick Airport, where it offered a haven to children and adults whose flights were de
Lynne Piza
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a lovely, yet fun read! Not only this but I love the little lesson behind the story about giving things a go, and not pre-judging and just getting involved and trying new things!

My eldest son Harry is 3 1/2 years old and this was PERFECT for him! I was worried it may be a little long for his age but it wasn’t! He was so engaged all the way through! The language was basic enough for him, there was plenty of dialogue to change voices, and tonnes of descriptive words that I used use m
Deborah J Miles
Gloria The Summer Bus is another beautifully designed picture book with a super little story about a bad-tempered boy called Max, who eventually comes to appreciate the playbus, and realises that he has been behaving badly.

Max has a younger brother who is eager to play on the bus with the other children already inside. In time, Max is encouraged to get on the bus and try some of the activities. Soon, he is enjoying playing with the other children, and realises that by behaving badly and not joi
Jane Hunt
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story about Gloria, who is an old bus. She's converted to a playbus and visits different areas so that children can play on her. The illustrations are bright and fun, and the text is easy to read and understand. Great for reading with younger children or for older children to read by themselves.

Max and his family visit Gloria the playbus, but he's too old for playing on the bus like his younger brother, or so he thinks. After refusing to join in, he makes a mess and then lots of
Donna Maguire

I read this book to my daughter who is a great fan of the books in this series and I am pleased to say that it was another big hit!

She really enjoyed the story and as a mum I thought that it was great. The story is well written and it has a lovely natural flow to it. I love the images used to bring the book to life.

It is 5 stars from me for this one, very highly recommended and another hit in our house from Sue Wickstead! Looking forward to the next book!!
Jasmine
Jul 15, 2020

• The House Party
  • The Book Dragon Club
  • The Dinner
  • Grace and Serenity
  • Hunter's Secret (The Edinburgh Crime Mysteries #5)
  • What She Saw
  • The Dead Tell Lies: an absolutely gripping mystery thriller
  • The Explorer
  • Water's Edge (Detective Megan Carpenter, #2)
  • Always Ours
  • The Twins of Auschwitz
  • Take My Hand
  • The Village Shop for Lonely Hearts (Riverside Lane #1)
  • The Best Man
  • Flatline
  • Warlight
  • Lucy's Great Escape (The Little Duck Pond Cafe, #11)
  • My Mother's Choice
Sue Wickstead is a teacher and an author living in West Sussex. She writes children’s picture books with a bus theme as well as links to her teaching career.

Sue once worked with a mobile charity called the Bewbush Playbus and was asked to write a photographic history book about it. This has now led to fictional tales about buses.
Sue began to write a fictional bus tale following questions from chi