Start by marking “All Hallows Eve” as Want to Read:
All Hallows Eve

All Hallows Eve

She didn't believe in ghosts... until her daughter was taken by one.

When Alice Jacobs' husband disappears while investigating a series of strange and terrible incidents in the bustling seaport of Salem, she is forced to bring her young daughter, Abigail, along from Boston while she takes up the search. But she soon learns of a terrible curse that has the entire town br

Published May 20th 2020 by Independent

To ask other readers questions about All Hallows Eve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Hallows Eve

Start your review of All Hallows Eve
Kathy Brackin
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect book for the season 🎃👻
Annie Caya
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Received an advance copy of the novel, and I've read it twice already. The emotions run strong in the story: Fear, anguish, love, grudge, courage... You don't have to be a fan of the Salem Witches trial history to enjoy this book... but you might after reading it! ...more
Charles Northey
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m not much for creepy scary, but Penning’s handle on the genre keeps this nail biting and edge of the seat read a page turner without needless gore which would just be a turn-off.
Tony
May 20, 2020 added it
Got this just in time for the balcony season, what an excellent excuse to put my feet up and immerse myself in a detailed and atmospheric tale of supernatural suspense. Incredibly more-ish, put down seldom and only reluctantly. Looking forward to the next installment from my new go-to author.
Marion Wilson
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book very creepily, it slightly remained me of the Woman in Black by Susan Hill In my top five books this year I look forward to the next book
William James
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm always looking for new and original historical thrillers, and I must say this book went beyond my expectations, from a new author. From the opening paragraph to the end, it was just a roller coaster ride of one twist and thrill after another. Finally a Halloween thriller that incorporates the history of the Salem Which trials and the traditions of Halloween. Unlike some authors who add long and descriptive narratives, this book has none of that, it is just a real page turner, which I did wit ...more
Shawn McAlear
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't always read novels, but when I do, I prefer terrifying thrill rides like ALL HALLOWS EVE... Holy crap Michael Penning! Your words jumped off the pages and haunted my dreams. I tried reading only a few chapters per night - but it didn't help. I kept coming back for more. Something kept drawing me back. I was immersed in Salem. I was torn between wanting to help Alice, and wanting to run away from everything happening. I still can't get some of these images out of my head.

If you read one n
Pan | Book Reviews and Recommendations
While reading 'All Hallows Eve' by Michael Penning I couldn't keep thinking that I literally should be punished for letting this book slip under my radar for so long.

Thankfully, Michael Penning was awesome enough to send me a copy of his fantastic read for review.

'All Hallows Eve' is set in a post-witch trials Salem and follows Alice Jacob's adventure, who while in search for her disappeared husband, has her young daughter Abigail taken away from her by a ghost.
A ghost so sinister and vengef
Gloria
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
All Hallows Eve is set in the town of Salem and even after a century, this town is still plagued by the sins committed there. Innocent women and men were slain with no evidence, and in this story one of these women takes her revenge in the afterlife by becoming exactly what they accused her to be. Abound by superstition and unfair judgement, this is a book that is filled with rich characters, mysterious twists and turns, and secrets steeped in blood.

Our protagonist Alice is a young woman and mot
Heather Miller -- Quaint and Curious Volumes
A curse wrought by a woman sentenced to hang on Gallows Hill descends on Salem one hundred years after the infamous trials. Children are taken, a malevolent mist stalks the town, and a young mother caught up in the midst of it all must fight to the death and beyond to protect her daughter from the vengeful ghosts that haunt Salem on All Hallows Eve.

This book was excellent. The story itself was well written. The character of Alice Jacobs was so perfectly constructed, showing the fierceness of her
Becky Baldridge
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
All Hallows Eve wasn't quite what I was hoping for, at least not at first. It's not a bad story by any means, but it moved a bit too slowly for me. Given the premise and setting, I was all set to be thoroughly creeped out, but a good deal of time is taken to introduce the characters and give the considerable backstory. That said, I did get my creepy story eventually. About halfway through, this book picks up considerably, and we get some terrific twists. That's when I started really getting inve ...more
Anu
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mesmerizing

Impressive writing and narrative.

The historical thriller set in Salem Village is exhilarating and intimidating at the same time. A heartwarming tale of a brave and loving mother’s frantic search for her daughter.

Introduction to the characters with a surprising and striking background story.

Curiosity creeps in and thrills you from the very first chapter until the end. An exploration into witchcraft, superstitions, and secrets.

Unstoppable read.

The plot where Alice mastering her emotion
Dan Levert
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Congratulations, Michael! Your first novel is a success. You meant to scare me and you did... I read way past my bedtime! It is so well written, I found myself standing next to Alice and cheering her on as she resolved to fight back and find her daughter!
The imagery is unforgettable and as the scenes unfold, we are drawn into the story, watching from the shadows. The character development is well crafted. Clear images of the main characters appear almost immediately, and we get a sense of their
Alison Caron
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inhale! Inhale! When was the last time I actually drew a breath? Whew! I just finished the book and I feel as though I've been dragged along at breakneck speed whilst trying to catch my breath. Now I have to try to calm down and rest my shaking limbs. Excellent read. I was hooked right at the very beginning and everything moved faster and faster as I read along. I highly recommend this book. Read it! You won't regret it.Michael Penning ...more
Amy Caron
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book! I love the fact that it takes place in Salem in the 18th century and that the lead character is a brave and loving mother. I enjoyed the author's writing style. He describes places and characters in a succinct, yet effective manner. The storytelling is gripping; a combination of a race against time and a sequence of riddles & clues to find the children before it's too late. I couldn't put the book down because I wanted to find out what would happen next! A must read ...more
Jeanine
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy hell! What a ride I’ve been on! I don’t generally go for thrillers but I was sent a review copy of this one and I tore through it in two days (which is almost inconceivable for a mother of two under five but I. Could. Not. Stop.)

If you’re looking for a historical thriller, one of those page-turning-can’t-put-it-down-MUST-know-what’s-going-to-happen-next kind of books, read this one. You won’t regret it.
Marilyn Penning
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gripping from start to finish. A spine chilling adventure set in the wake of the Salem witch trials. You are vividly transported back in time as a young mother tries to save her only daughter from the forces of evil ghosts. Fast paced, action packed and beautifully descriptive.
Do you believe in ghosts? This story will have you asking yourself just that. You will not be able to put this book down until you have discovered all the secrets. A must read.
Kevin Rechil
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best novels I’ve ever read! I was completely captivated and couldn’t put this book down. I really appreciated how the author was so descriptive, felt like I could smell the surroundings and objects, I’ve never had that experience reading a book before.

The story is fascinating and beautifully crafted. Every chapter leaves you on a cliff hangar wanting more, start to finish.

Absolutely loved it and highly recommend picking it up. You won’t be disappointed.
Christina Caron
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am one of the lucky readers who received a free review copy of All Hallows Eve. I will be ordering a couple copies of the paperback edition when its released to send to some friends and keep an original copy for myself as well.
I must admit this is one of the best books I have read in years. I had a hard time putting it down. The author had me hooked from the very start, I was obsessed with what would happen next.
I will be eagerly awaiting the release of his next volume.
Sean Lenn
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing read! I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy and it did not disappoint. It flows and is such a compelling story that you just want to keep reading the whole thing in one sitting. I'm looking forward to reading it again to see what I missed and praying more books are on the way soon from this author! ...more
Debbie Humphreys
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading All Hallows Eve and I have yet to read a book where I noticed that at times I would be holding my breath and my hands would be damp. I would highly recommend it! Michael Penning is an incredibly talented writer and I very much look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Mary Jackson
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite genre so I’m a bit of a skeptic and I have to say this was a page turner. Lots of twists with a great ending. If your looking for a “I can’t wait to find out what happens next” book, this one is for you. Hoping there will be another book soon.
Beth Briggs
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hard to put down!

Anyone with a love for ghostly tales will enjoy this book. There are twists and turns and it will be hard to put down once you start reading. Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Mickey Noel
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good storytelling!

Though a bit slow-moving, this is a well written story. The plot is strong and the characters are believable. I look forward to more from this author.
Michael Mclean
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not normally a fan of Horror novels, but this book completely changed that. What a read!
DELIA    SHEPPARD
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good reads

Good book kept me interested till the end, getting ready to read second book... Hope it seas good as this one was.
Michelle
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The lush historical atmosphere and period detail of this novel kept me immersed in the hair-raising tale of a mother’s frantic search for her daughter on the scariest night of the year. As a mother myself, I could empathize with Alice’s desperation and I found her to be admirable and brave throughout. She’s no scary-story cliche, she’s a strong mother who will stop at nothing to rescue her child. At times, my heart was racing from the intensity and the cliffhanger endings of each chapter made it ...more
ronell wells
Oct 02, 2020
Alexandra Serafini
Sep 03, 2020
Peter
Oct 25, 2020

• The Haunting of Nelson Street (The Ghosts of Crowford Book 1)
  • Haunted: Perron Manor
  • Come Forth in Thaw: A Dark Fantasy Horror Novella about Trauma and Mental Illness
  • Enantiodromia
  • Christmas at Seven Sisters
  • Whickering Place
  • We Bleed Red & Green: 12 Chilling Tales for Christmas
  • The Bones of Marietta
  • The Proctor Hall Horror (The Bayou Hauntings #7)
  • The Meadows
  • Witchnapped in Westerham (Paranormal Investigation Bureau, #1)
  • The Haunting of Gallagher Hotel
  • The Mystery of Three Quarters (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #3)
  • 666 Gable Way
  • Love at First Bite: Tales from a Veterinary Life
  • The Estate Hauntings Boxset: A Riveting Haunted House Mystery
  • SCARY STORIES: SCARY STORIES THAT MESS WITH YOUR HEAD: 11 People Reveal The Scary Stories That Still Make Their Stomachs Twist, Thriller and Mystery Short Stories.
  • The Haunting of Hadleigh Estate (A Riveting Haunted House Mystery Series Book 7)
Michael Penning is an award-winning screenwriter and bestselling author of horror and suspense. He is an avid fan of Halloween, haunted houses, and things that go bump in the night. When he's not coming up with creative ways to scare the hell out of people, he enjoys travelling, photography, and brewing beer. He lives in Montreal with his wife, daughter, and their black lab, Salem. Sign up for Mic ...more

News & Interviews