Start by marking “Stray Witch (The Vampires of Emberbury #1)” as Want to Read:
Stray Witch (The Vampires of Emberbury #1)

Stray Witch

(The Vampires of Emberbury #1)

WINNER OF THE 2020 INTERNATIONAL VAMPIRE FILM & ARTS FESTIVAL SILVER STAKE AWARD.

Clueless Witch Meets Quirky Vampire: an enchanting tale of love and magic.

“The highly original plot combines the best of paranormal with the best of romance: a tantalizing, unputdownable read.” —The Booklife Prize critic’s report.

A magical story about a lost witch recovering her self-esteem an
Published May 26th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Stray Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stray Witch

Start your review of Stray Witch (The Vampires of Emberbury #1)
Angela's Book Addiction
*** 4.5 Stars ***

Stray Witch (The Vampires of Emberbury #1) by Eva Alton is a paranormal women's fiction novel told in first person dual POV. Although it's the first book in a series, Stray Witch can be read as a standalone.

Alba Andersson is at a turning point in her life. She's on the cusp of a divorce, and about to lose everything to her abusive husband - a lawyer hell-bent on destroying her. Alba needs a job and a safe place to live so she can escape with her two daughters before Mark tri
Wendy Bayne
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Eva Alton is now one of my favourite Paranormal authors. The Stray witch is a look into the life of Alba a young witch of immense untapped power. Clarence is a centuries old vampire looking for meaning to this immortal existence. When their lives collide mayhem ensues.

Alba is trying to escape with her two daughters from an abusive and controlling husband intent on breaking her and ruining her reputation in the process.
Enter Clarence the answer to a pray or is he? The vampire is a poignant and
P.L. Stuart
Oct 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
As I work my way back slowly to reading my primary genres of epic fantasy and hist fic, I have been truly enjoying the diversion, which has taken me to some amazing books. One of those is "Stray Witch" by Eva Alton. This book was long on my TBR because, if you are going to read vampire-romance-fantasy, you might as well read a highly touted one, and this book was the winner of the 2020 International Vampire Film & Arts Festival Silver Stake Award.

"Stray Witch" was a delightful read. The plot sw
Kelly Miller
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Clever writing and wonderful, imaginative, colorful characters elevated this story and made it a quick, engaging read. Alba is going through a nasty divorce from a monstrous man who makes Clarence, a vampire hundreds of years old, seem like a prince. The vampire makes her an offer at a time when she has no one on her side. Of course, Alba's growing attraction to Clarence is bound is a complication. How safe is she and her children from the other vampires she meets? Alba is told she is a witch, b ...more
Sloane McClain
Apr 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
The book has a little of everything. Witches. Vampires. Spirits. And romance. A marvelously entertaining read.

We have a witch who doesn't know she's a witch and isn't sure she believes she really is. Then there are vampires (which take her a little getting used to) who need her help, and a cat that's not your ordinary cat.
Victoria Rodríguez
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a very fun read. The author with her narrative transported me to a magical world in which allowed me to feel excited and adventurous. This is a story about magic, love and a mysterious vampire nest. Meet Alba, who is escaping a terrible marriage and unfortunately, she's about to lose everything. However, she's a witch, and the vampires of Emberbury are ready to change her destiny. Alba is about to meet exciting people, she will have the opportunity to recover her self-esteem and find lo ...more
Elsie McArthur
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a really enjoyable read - Alba was a relatable MC, struggling through lots of real life issues with which readers will be able to empathise. I loved that this book took a slightly different twist on the usual vampire romances, and pairing the fantasy with the real life elements of the story worked really well. The developing relationship between Alba and Clarence was well observed and the romantic tension felt natural, so that even amongst the various twists and turns and challenges the ...more
Author Raven Storm
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
GREAT romance, exciting storyline!

I binged this in 24 hours and already downloaded the second one. I’m obsessed with Clarence, and want to know more about this particular society of witches and vampires. The romance kept me on my toes and was a great mix between a slow burner and some spicy action. I highly recommend for those who love the paranormal and romance!
Claudia Foglein-Goins
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
voracious readers review...I really enjoyed this take on vampires and witches. I may have to break my no series rule.
Tabitha Womack
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!

Captivating, unorthodox telling of the witch vampire dynamics in lore. Great characters, vivid imagery! Fascinating, actually. This is a definite winner!
Odette Nassar
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Great first book

This book is great. I really like Alba’s transformation and growth as a witch. I can’t wait to start book 2!
Eve Koguce
Nov 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As I’m sitting and staring at the blinking cursor, I can’t but dwell on the controversies of a human mind. Why is it so that when you like something, dozens of words, appropriate to express your positive feelings spring obligingly in your head, but when you’ve irrevocably fallen in love with it, your mind goes blank and produces nothing except mundane “wow.”

In any case, I’m determined to tell the whole world how absolutely fantastic “Stray Witch” by Eva Alton is.

What I loved about this book – we
A.L. Garcia
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is beautifully written. The descriptions of the Cloister and all other settings are so well detailed and frankly a little romantic. So much fun to read, but also very inspiring. Despite the whimsical nature of the story and its very good fit in the fantasy genre, it also touches subjects that many women go through in real life such as divorce, domestic violence, financial abuse, etc. I was hooked the whole time and I do not like to give away spoilers, but it has strong aspects of freedom, e ...more
Michele Quirke
May 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Stray Witch is a super fun paranormal romance! Our protagonist, Alba, is a mom of two and is in the midst of a pretty awful divorce when she meets Clarence, a vampire with the awesome ability to change into a raven. Although she's reluctant to believe it, she learns that she's a witch and is hired to work for a coven of vampires. It was cool to see her slowly accept who she is and watch her relationship with Clarence unfold.

Overall, this book was great. It was very well written and perfectly ed
Helena Craggs
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I binge read this book and loved it! It was exceptionally well written and each chapter leaves you eager to learn more. The MC’s, Alba and Clarence, are engaging and loveable, and the slow burn romance is well executed. My heart hurt for Alba as her self esteem is battered by her evil ex-husband, and rooted for her as she battles to re-build her life. The combination of magic and vampires is compelling, and Eva’s witty one liners and humour add to the enjoyment of the read. Real life problems mi ...more
Lubov Leonova
May 11, 2022 rated it it was amazing
A great supernatural story with elements of romance

I really loved the style and the plot of this book. The story portraits a woman in her 30-es who is going through tough dovorce and discovers her hidden power.
The setting of the novel immerses the reader into the mystic atmosphere of cemetery and secret underground caves where the vampires hide from the rest of humanity.
All the characters have their unique appearance and charisma.
I recommend this book to women who love supernatural genre and go
K.R. Wieland
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful paranormal story about stray witch Alba who is unaware of her power and lineage, and centuries old Clarence who seems a bit lost at times. Alton writes in such a way that you can connect with both characters in this dual POV story and find yourself laughing at times and gripping your seat at others. It is an emotion packed tale and one that I truly enjoyed. I’m happy to know that it is the first in a series and there is more to read about The Vampires of Emberbury and th ...more
Kendal Dickson
Dec 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It took me a little bit to get into it (mainly because I don’t read books like this and the last vampire book I read was the twilight series *cringe*) but once I started getting into the story I couldn’t stop. I love the multiple POV’s and how it’s clearly defined at the beginning of the chapter who the POV is; however, given the personalities/style or the characters I think it wouldn’t even be required. I found myself wanting more between the two main characters and hoping they would end up tog ...more
Hayley Walsh
Feb 14, 2022 rated it really liked it
This is the first fantasy / paranormal book I have ever read. I really enjoyed it. The main characters are likable, the story had me hooked from the get go, and had me spell bound with lots of magic, romance, and drama. A great read. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in this series.
Jessica Piro
Aug 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I absolutely LOVED this story! I could understand the MC--even though I've never been in an abusive relationship or dealt with a messy divorce--there are loveable characters, humorous, and scenes that tugged on heartstrings or creeped me out--like they were meant to.
This book has everything for me and did its job of making me order the other books to see what happens next. I'm an Eva Alton fan now!
Michelle Naragon
Stray Witch by indie author Eva Alton is Book 1 in The Vampires of Emberbury series. The story follows Alba’s life. She’s trapped in a loveless marriage to a narcissist named Mark and meets Clarence, a vampire, that’s been sent to recruit her to work for The Cloister. He reveals what she really is. She’s no mere mortal. She’s a witch who comes from a long line of witches. Alba doesn’t believe, but she’s faced with a choice to continue in a toxic marriage or pretend to be this witch and get away ...more
Victoria Wren
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.

This was a really fun read about a woman who discovers she is a hidden witch, after a nasty breakup with her awful husband. I loved the story of Alba and Clarence, this was a cute, funny and exciting romance and it kept me thoroughly entertained.
Bonnie
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stray Witch

I am hard pressed to give a book 5 stars, for no book reaches perfection, but Stray Witch comes so close, it just magically slipped into 5 shining stars. I am not a reader of fantasy. This book was recommended and I admit I fought its reading. But like magic, the first page grabbed my imagination and delight. Filled with humor, weaving throughout the danger, Stray Witch is very well written, the plot perfectly developed, the dialogue speaks as it should. I loved this book from its fir
Sue Wallace
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stray Witch: by Eva Alton.
Magic, love and a secret vampire nest beneath a graveyard.
Alba is running away from a bad marriage and is about to lose everything. The good part? She’s a witch. The bad one? She doesn’t know it. But the vampires of Emberbury are about to turn her whole world upside down.
This is book 1 in the vampires of emberbury. Brilliant read. I really enjoyed this book. I loved Alba Elizabeth and Clarence. Didn't like Mark. He was slimy. Looking forward to the next book. 5*.
Caroline Doig
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a story it’s definitely chuckle worthy I loved the characters Alba who is a witch but she doesn’t have a clue about it she is divorcing her abusive husband and trying to protect her kids, she meets Clarence who is a vampire and a gentleman he also loves his top hats and his cloaks from the Victorian era, sorry guys no spoilers so read the blurb and that will give you the gist to this story. I loved this story it’s a fantastic read and I highly recommend this book it’s definitely well wo ...more
Danni Connelly
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Stray Witch SO much!! Its charm, humor, and pathos really make it stand out within the vampire-fiction genre! Alton writes beautifully and does an AMAZING job of blending the paranormal/magical aspect with more “real-life” elements, which makes for the perfect urban fantasy-type story! This book also totally delivers in the romance area, with an incredibly sweet and swoon-worthy relationship between the protagonist and her love interest! Can’t wait to read the next book in the series!!
Suzanne Irving
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book combines so many things. A divorce, witches, vampires, disappearing violet eyed cats and a whole lot more. Weaving its way through all these things it hits all the feels making you laugh and cry, sigh and gasp as you follow Alba as she discovers that there is a lot more to life and death than she ever thought. I enjoyed this book and can’t wait to read the next book in this series.

Laken Honeycutt
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An Enchanting, Well-Crafted Story

I thoroughly enjoyed this finely crafted story of a witch who does not realize she’s a witch, plunged into a world of intrigue and mystery. Author Eva Alton creates a darkly alluring world of secret vampires, cemeteries, black cats, and mysterious ravens. There is so much in this well-told story - divorce, custody concerns, abuse, forbidden love. I found myself unable to put it down. I look forward to reading the second book, Witch’s Mirror.
H. Ferry
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a journey! From the moment I started reading the book, I was riveted by the character building. I think this might be one of the strongest aspects of this book. Other than that, the plot is engaging. You get to live Alba's fight for survival under the crushing load of problems, both in her personal life, and the strange new reality she's been thrown into. It is an engaging journey from the beginning to the end, with an awesome resolution. ...more
Dawn Milligan
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a standalone in a larger series so this DOES have a happy ever after!!! And next books new characters! This is well written and the characters are fantastic I couldn't put it down and I look forward to the next book! ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Accidental Mystic: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Adventure (Midlife Melody Book 1)
  • Lattes and Spirits (Welsh Witch #1)
  • Brewing Trouble (Crow's Feet Coven Book 2)
  • Midlife Magical Mystery Tour: Paranormal Women’s Fiction (Witch Way Book 1)
  • The Graveyard Shift (Charley Davidson, #13.5)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (The Nightwatch #1)
  • Fastening the Grave (Kali James Book 1)
  • Butter, Sugar, Magic (Baking Up a Magical Midlife #1)
  • Cursed by the Corpse: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Novel (Tales of a Midlife Mortician Book 1)
  • Midlife in Gretna Green
  • Sketchy Charms (Mystic's End #3)
  • My Blind Date is a Vampire
  • Double Down on Demons (Pandora's Pride, #1)
  • Witch is the Word (Moonstone Bay, #10)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Leaving Blythe River
  • The Demon Prince (Dark Halos, #1)
  • Dead as a Dodo (Wonderland Detective Agency, #1)
"Once upon a time I used to draw people's homes in the real world; now I build imaginary worlds so they can dream and forget about real life."

Eva Alton is an award-winning author of paranormal romance, magical realism and paranormal women's fiction novels. She's the author of Stray Witch and The Vampires of Emberbury Series.

SUBSCRIBE TO EVA'S NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK:

The Vampires of Emberbury (4 books)
  • Witch's Mirror (The Vampires of Emberbury #2)
  • Witches' Masquerade (The Vampires of Emberbury, #3)
  • Witches' Elements (The Vampires of Emberbury, #4)