Start by marking “Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations, #1)” as Want to Read:
Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations, #1)

Amari and the Night Brothers

(Supernatural Investigations #1)

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  15,251 ratings  ·  3,404 reviews
Quinton Peters was the golden boy of the Rosewood low-income housing projects, receiving full scholarship offers to two different Ivy League schools. When he mysteriously goes missing, his little sister, 13-year-old Amari Peters, can’t understand why it’s not a bigger deal. Why isn’t his story all over the news? And why do the police automatically assume he was into someth ...more
Published January 19th 2021 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Amari and the Night Brothers, please sign up.
Dan Just in the way Philosopher's Stone ends on a cliffhanger - the story itself wraps up in a very satisfying way and if they released no more books in t…moreJust in the way Philosopher's Stone ends on a cliffhanger - the story itself wraps up in a very satisfying way and if they released no more books in the series you'd still have a full experience.

However it's clear this is the first of a series and there are so many more things to discover about this world and hopefully we'll get to see the characters grow up. I read a lot of middlegrade fiction for work and normally I find them generally boring/obvious. This was the first middle grade fantasy I've read in awhile that really excited me!(less)
Eleanor Mild fantasy violence and bullying. If it were a movie, I think it would have a PG rating. Hope this helps!

·  15,251 ratings  ·  3,404 reviews

Start your review of Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations, #1)
B.B. Alston
May 27, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I hope you all like it!
Bookishrealm
THIS FREAKING BOOK! OH MY GOSH! Hands down it's going to be in the top books of 2021 for me and we're only in January. This is the type of book I wish I had growing up!

Amari and the Night Brothers is a fantastical breathtakingly beautiful book. I wasn't sure what to expect going in. I knew that the book focused on a young girl by the name of Amari who was responsible for trying to find her missing brother. I knew that in her search she came across a magical world that fostered some sort of compe
Gavin Hetherington
Check out my spoiler-free interview with author B. B. Alston on YouTube: https://youtu.be/_oF5Ma0vRZs

A truly imaginative and explosive start to what promises to be an exciting new middle grade series to watch out for!

Amari has felt rather lost since the disappearance of her brother, but when she discovers a strange suitcase in his room, she has no idea how much bigger his disappearance - and the world around her - actually are. Enter the Bureau of Supernatural Affairs, where Amari begins to trai
megs_bookrack
Apr 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amari and the Night Brothers is Middle Grade Fantasy at its finest. This book was so great, I feel like celebrating!

Amari, the world, its dangers and the magic system were all fantastically imagined. I humbly request at least ten volumes for this series.

Is that too much to ask? I think if you pick this one up, you'd soon agree.

13-year old, Amari Peters, lives with her Mom in the Rosewood housing project. She has an older brother, Quinton, who is smart, fun and brave. He means a lot to Amari. He'
Melanie
OwlCrate Jr's January 2021 Box : My Rep Code: MEL10 ❤️
✨ (& my ASMR unboxing) ✨

this was so absolutely perfect <3

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Tina
This is a Middle Grade Fantasy, and this is the first book in the Supernatural Investigations series. This is the Middle Grade Monthly book for this March 2021, and I saw so many Book Tubes talking about this book. I just had to read this book, and I am so happy I did. This book give me, Men In Black vibes. I loved this book so much, and it was a cool and fun read. There was a big twist that I really did not see coming. I loved the characters in this book, and Amari was so much fun following. I ...more
Starlah
Jul 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is so much more than a young girl looking for her missing brother. It is a book about friendship and companionship, about perseverance and self-confidence. It is about the Black experience and how fear can so easily escalate to hate.

I was immediately captured by this story. Amari is a character I desperately wish I had when I was younger and am so happy that young Black kids have this now. She is the true definition of Black girl magic! I loved her. She has such resilience and strong c
Jade Ratley
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
9.14 on CAWPILE
Katie Colson
Jul 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Reading Vlog: https://youtu.be/NQKqgu3NpIU

✨What a freaking DELIGHT!✨

Also, let's have a moment for the cover. S T U N N I N G.

🧙🏾‍♀️ Amari Peters is the future.👑

Let's talk about WHIMSY! This is a bucket of laughs with fantastical imagery, loveable characters and a magical setting that feels like home almost immediately.

Not only that but B.B. Alston weaves in parallels to racism, classism and prejudice that middle grade usually lacks.

I will definitely be rereading this in the future and can't wait
Amy Imogene Reads
5 stars

A magical, amazing start to a fantasy series. I could not get enough of Amari and her adventures! A hidden magical society dedicated to keeping the magical beings of the world hidden from us? Yes. Perfect for us fans of Nevermoor, Keeper of the Lost Cities, and more.

Main character: ★★★★★
Magical world: ★★★★★
Plot/Pacing: ★★★★★
Setup for series: perfect, I am hooked!

Amari's older brother, Quinton Peters, has been missing for months. The police tell her and her mother that Quinton must have f
Renee Godding
5/5 stars

Every single year, like clockwork, a new middle-grade fantasy with magical themes is released, and immediately promoted to be “the new Harry Potter”. My response is always the same: a deep sigh and an exaggerated eyeroll to the offending publisher. This time however, was different. For the first time in my reviewing career, I’m going to call that comparison valid.
Now, please hold on to your chairs, for not only am I going to say “If you liked Harry Potter, you will like Amari and the N
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
*climbs to the very top of a mountain, inhales and screams*: I LOVE THIS BOOOOOOOK.
Amari and the Night Brothers has the potential to be the next big series - yes, it is really that good.

- Follows Amari, a young Black girl who gets swept into a hidden magical world when she receives a briefcase from her missing brother - and she gets nominated to be a trainee at the Bureau of Supernatural Affairs.
- This book is just so much fun!!! I loved how imaginative and creative and visual this book was. Th
Denise
I really wanted to like this more than I did. I was very excited to get the chance to read this book early because I’ve lately been enjoying middle grade novels. There’s something so pure about these novels that sweep you away into an adventure, and Amari and the Night Brothers is a brand new diverse read with a fantastic cover. I was so on-board and ready for the adventure. The book had potential but I felt that major world-building and pacing issues held it back. I think the most frustrating p ...more
Ms. Woc Reader
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, black-lead
I'm still reeling from this book. The twists, yall!

Amari and the Night Brothers takes you on a journey from start to finish. She's such a relatable hero and this gives a twist on the chosen one trope in that she's the only one with her special powers but her peers aren't receptive.

This book had great world building. Sometimes in MG fantasy authors feel like they have to tell you more than show you the world. And they feel like they have to overexplain to the audience because they are younger.
Tammie
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is the epitome of why I still read middle grade as an adult. I couldn't put this down and in all honesty, I can't see any other middle grade surpassing this as my favourite middle grade of 2021.

There isn't a single thing I didn't like about this book. I had no idea what the book was about before diving in, and really just picked it up because of the hype, but I'm so glad I went in blind. It was so much fun, so wholesome, and so incredibly empowering at the same time. The writing is al
Claude's Bookzone
4.5 Stars

Well that was such a wonderful YA fantasy fiction book!

The characters are so endearing and I loved the level of intrigue in the mystery element of the story. The world building was marvelous and the magical system was very interesting. I really hope this turns into more than a trilogy as there is the potential to create a new fantasy book series that people grow up with, where the characters age as Readers do throughout the publications. Fingers crossed this is the direction this is goi
Fanna
➵ I loved this so so so much. From an excellently imaginative world full of supernatural beings to emotional responsiveness flooding through friendship, sibling love, and heartache, this middle-grade fantasy has become one of my absolute favourites. rtc.

↣ an early digital copy received via netgalley

16.06.2020 the cutest, prettiest, magical cover of this book has just been revealed and it's ummm, perfect.
Bethany
May 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was just as good as people said it would be. Amari and the Night Brothers is a fantastic start to a new middle grade fantasy series that centers a young Black girl and weaves together mythology and folktales ranging from vampires to Bigfoot in one very real supernatural world. It's a book about friendship, family, standing up for what's right, dealing with prejucide and bullying, privilege, and finding your inner strength.

Amari has been dealing with bullying in school, comes from a poor ne
˗ˏˋ lia ˎˊ˗
“people are going to form opinions and say nasty things about you based on nothing more than what you are.”

alright, so… everyone and their mother on booktube had read this and absolutely adored it, so the stakes were a bit high i guess. and i am happy to report that literally all of them were so right and i loved this story more than i thought was possible.

i do not read middle grade often at all, but this made me think that i should get into it more!! it was such a fun read and despite being 4
Erin
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, march-2021
Perfection!

I cant even put into words just how much I love this book. I have no complaints. This book is flawless. Adult me loves this book and I know that 11 year old me would have been obsessed with it.

All the stars!

Perfection!

EVERYONE HAS TO READ THIS BOOK!
Mara
Nov 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
My biggest take away is that BB Alston has a true talent for writing hateable 12 year olds - the number of middle schoolers I hated in this book is genuinely impressive 😹. All around, this was so charming and I really enjoyed how the book used its fantasy elements to explore classism and elitism. I think pacing this felt a little herky jerky (to be expected in a debut), but overall, loved the characters, world, & themes, and I'm looking forward to the next entry! ...more
Megan
May 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars!
Jenny Baker
This is a wonderful debut middle grade fantasy novel. I've already added the other two books in the series to my TBR. I can't wait to see how this story continues. Highly recommended! ...more
Lynette Noni
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable! Like a mix of HP, Nevermoor, and Men in Black.
Shawne
Mar 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
When this book is good, it's very, very good.

I love so much about it, including
- Amari herself, a scrappy, brilliant lead character that doesn't exist enough in middle-grade fantasy. Tying her insecurities and her strengths to her experiences growing up as a Black kid in the projects is one of the very best things about this book.
- at its best, the world-building is glorious. BB Alston creates a dizzyingly magical world within our world, drawing back the veil to show us how humans have always
Belles Middle Grade Library
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a book! This was like a MG Men in Black mixed w/a school setting! Loved it! Amari’s older brother has been missing for 6 months. Amari is determined to find him. She even posts his picture on every missing person site imaginable. One night she discovers a mysterious ticking briefcase in her brothers closet-for her eyes only. He had nominated her for a summer tryout at the secretive Bureau of Supernatural Affairs. Apparently there were things she didn’t know about her brother. Her eyes ...more
Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨
Feb 28, 2022 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me why I should continue reading middle grade books despite being an adult.

I want to say this is a story about a young girl who tries to find her missing brother but ends up being thrust into a world of magic. But it is so much more than that. It's a story about finding strength amongst all the bullying and prejudice thrown your way. Its about family and friendship, and standing up for what is right.

I did think the writing was a bit clunky at times, which caused issues with th
Whispering Stories
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

A magical world hidden from the everyday person. A world where ‘other beings’ live amongst us. A bureau designed to look after and protect both the humans and ‘others’. A Magician so powerful and evil he wants to take over. A young girl in search of her brother. This is ‘Amari and the Night Brothers’.

Amari Peters is a young girl whose older brother Quinton went missing months ago. After an altercation at school with the popular girls which sees Amari exp
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
5 stars. One of my new favorite middle grade books in a very long time. This was so much fun. What a ride. Amari is a very likable heroine and very easy to root for her. The world building in this was really good, I loved the writing and I found that it was paced very well. I was never bored nor did I feel like there were any slow moments. The plot is fun and adventurous and it ends well but leaves you anticipating book two. I just had such a blast reading this book and I cannot wait to see what ...more
Nakia's Hideaway
5 out of 5!

Amari and the Night Brothers was a page turner and a wonderful escape into a world full of magic and mayhem.

Not only is this the story of how a young girl discovers her magical abilities, but there is also a great mystery as well. What happened to Amari's brother Quintin who went missing?

I loved all of the supernatural elements in this story. This is what I was looking for in The Night Circus! Actual dueling magicians and a whole system of magic!

And Amari is a great heroine. I loved h

• The Heart's Invisible Furies
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • Ňuňo
  • The Girl with the Louding Voice
  • Clap When You Land
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • Florence Adler Swims Forever
  • Agathe
  • Chirurg
  • The Fox on the Swing
  • Big Book of Beasts
  • Der Insasse
  • The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy, #3)
  • A World Full of Animal Stories: 50 folk tales and legends
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Secret (The Secret, #1)
  • Anxious People
  • Swimming Lessons
See top shelves…

Supernatural Investigations (3 books)
  • Amari and the Great Game (Supernatural Investigations #2)
  • Untitled (Supernatural Investigations #3)

News & Interviews

The book gods, in their infinite kindness, have built second chances into the very structure of the modern distribution business. If you miss...
“You’re not going to change the world unless you hang with people who want to change the world too.” 23 likes
“Levante a cabeça, Amari Peters. Você não está sozinha.” 0 likes